Macross DYRL?: Space War One

The_Major

What I meant by dev are the people already working on the mod. If you want to offer your services and talents please PM me, Lestat, or Cmdr Fokker about joining up (stating what you can do i.e. texture model, scripting etc)

Cheers,

Alfie

What I meant by dev are the people already working on the mod. If you want to offer your services and talents please PM me, Lestat, or Cmdr Fokker about joining up (stating what you can do i.e. texture model, scripting etc)

Cheers,

Alfie

355398[/snapback]

Well I dont think my 3d modeling skills are up to scratch really. What I really meant by my post was for the other readers to know what you were after.

Just one thought though Have you got a list of the craft you have used so far ? I know that in the last few hundred post the info is there but may be it would help as more mortal types, you never know one of us may be able to supply you with pictures etc.

Maybe you should post here what exactly you need to be before you can be called a DEV, that way it might reduce the confusion e.t.c

Also if some one then discovers that they have something to offer and could become a Dev then they will know.

355322[/snapback]

If you've contributed to the mod by offering a 3d model, or drawing up specific 2d designs for the mod, you are considered a dev. Boxer has made many wonderful and creative designs for unseen macross ships, and is definately someone I'd regard a part of the team.

In all likeliness, you're going to know if you're a dev or not. Contribution is the key. That is to say, tangible contribution.

Nanashi is also in if he contacts you Alfie. He has provided scans and source material for the mod since the begining.

Okay, new screenshots?

Here's some in-game pics of the Melts and one of the Zents

From left to right, the first two are angled shots of the Meltohlauendy flagship and gunboat. The third shot also has the new Meltohlauendy resource collector (Molag, I believe), the fourth is another shot of the capital ships, and the fifth is a squad of regults before the shadow of a Nepetit Vergnitzs Zjentohlauedy Flagship.

The animations for the valk are far from finished though. Sorry.

post-544-1137579517_thumb.jpg

post-544-1137579536_thumb.jpg

post-544-1137579558_thumb.jpg

post-544-1137579569_thumb.jpg

post-544-1137579633_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lestat

Hey my resource pod!

I forget what I named it, since it has been lost to time. Try thread-digging to find the origional art in the concept thread...which was also buried.

Aaand even though I got those miner pics, life's been more than happy to keep me busy with other thoughts *coughexgirlfriendtroublesandshtuffcoughwhezehack*

Uhm...yeah.

You know i was just thinking. When has there ever been a really good top quality macross pc game that follows the original storyline/dyrl/macross plus.

IMO, when you finish this mod, you should take it to sierra and possibly another company (Something like lucas arts cuz like... they are really rich and could do wat im thinking) and put it to them, to create a game that follows the storyline of the original macross/dyrl/macross plus. And by this i mean you guys work on the game with them.

The sort of game that i think everyone would want would be something thats a First person shooter/flight simulator. And like have it so that someone can move the sdf around the map, while other people get in fighters and etc.

Youd want something with the graphics of HL2 but with the style of Battlefront II's space battles (Ie. People spawn, and then can either run and get into a valk or run and get into a destroid or etc. Just an idea...

If you set out a detailed plan, with concept art, set a budget and included your previous work with this mod, i reckon that sierra or lucas arts, would buy the rights to make the game and then we could all rejoice..

You know i was just thinking. When has there ever been a really good top quality macross pc game that follows the original storyline/dyrl/macross plus.

IMO, when you finish this mod, you should take it to sierra and possibly another company (Something like lucas arts cuz like... they are really rich and could do wat im thinking) and put it to them, to create a game that follows the storyline of the original macross/dyrl/macross plus. And by this i mean you guys work on the game with them.

The sort of game that i think everyone would want would be something thats a First person shooter/flight simulator.  And like have it so that someone can move the sdf around the map, while other people get in fighters and etc.

Youd want something with the graphics of HL2 but with the style of Battlefront II's space battles (Ie. People spawn, and then can either run and get into a valk or run and get into a destroid or etc. Just an idea...

If you set out a detailed plan, with concept art, set a budget and included your previous work with this mod, i reckon that sierra or lucas arts, would buy the rights to make the game and then we could all rejoice..

363193[/snapback]

While that's a lovely dream, we all have our own lives and very little time, and in addition there's one major reason why there's no western macross games:

Copyright issues. There's a lot of vagueness over who owns what rights in the US and outside of japan. They've never to my knowledge been publically affirmed, so we don't really know. As such, no serious company is going to consider a mod that has been made illegally in the first place, though having said that it would be a dream come true if all of that actually did happen.

...but it just won't.

i think Harmony Gold owns it in the us

363298[/snapback]

Yes, Macross the TV series. But we don't know what beyond that. HG has made claims before to Macross derivitives made long after their deal (technically, only Macross TV series and possibly DYRL were out when they acquired the rights, and it may have actually been before DYRL was released). It's still a gray area because the truth of the matter has not been publically resolved, at least not to the point that we're clear on things.

The sort of game that i think everyone would want would be something thats a First person shooter/flight simulator.  And like have it so that someone can move the sdf around the map, while other people get in fighters and etc.

363193[/snapback]

In addition to copyrwight issues, I should point out something that people like you tend to overlook:

Common sense.

Before you get offended let me explain: A computer game can only do so much on so many discs. When people come out of the woodwork saying 'Make a game that can do EVERYTHING! A FPS and Flightsim with capital ships!", you have to remember the scope of most games that are being played nowadays.

Sure, some games exist that attempt to pull this off, but I have played Starwars Battlefront 2 and I can tell you this wouldn't be a happy place for Macross.

Why? Well, observing the enemy fighters, more than half of them are shooting at thier own capital ship, or shooting at nothing at all. There are occasions that I've died to enemy fire, but most of the deaths have been to auto turrets.

While the Zentreadi perhaps shoot this bad, I'd like an enemy that's more...how shall I say this...intelligent? Even Unreal TOurnament has more beleiveable AI than Battlefront 2.

Then there's the amount of data to load on your computer, let alone the fact that a 'skybox' is needed to keep the data from spiralling out of control. Trying to render an enitre SDF 1, with crew and everything, and a working space model, either means long load times, cut-out of some aspects (You can't visit earth or invade Zjent ships) or just many, many discs with a lot of space.

*Sigh*

That isn't to say that some things Macross can't be put into a wonderful game somehow. This mod is just one example of pulling it off really well: 3-D RTS combat. While it isn't perfect, there isn't a FPS aspcect, it really shines in the feild that it's supposed to portray.

There is a reason why many of us would rather play Risk as opposed to D&D. Manual size might have something to do with it, as well as complexity of the rules. Surprisingly this also applies to computer games.

Oh, and don't go to sierra. They're the reason why Homeworld 2 is incomplete and will never see the light of work again.

Well Lestat, I'm sure if you can sucker the world's most fantastic programmer into doing Macross, you could pull off a Macross RPG with ten discs!

I can see it now: play as Hikaru all the way to the mysterious ending!

if it gets anywhere near the Evangelion treatment, oy...

:p

This is what it is. I'm greatful for even that.

Well Lestat, I'm sure if you can sucker the world's most fantastic programmer into doing Macross, you could pull off a Macross RPG with ten discs!

I can see it now: play as Hikaru all the way to the mysterious ending!

if it gets anywhere near the Evangelion treatment, oy...

:p

This is what it is. I'm greatful for even that.

363966[/snapback]

I said I prefer D&D, but it's not adaptable to a PC game. Not really.

Anyway, progress peeps! I spent six hours on the macross today! Yes, that's right, I actualy braved the model, and happened to get alot done.

Here's some screenies:

post-544-1138201286_thumb.jpg

post-544-1138201301_thumb.jpg

post-544-1138201312_thumb.jpg

underside is best screenie yet Lestat, amazing texture work... curious as to where you got the ideas for those details? You texturing of a certain picture? ah wel I dont' have access to that kind of stuff. Anyways, for the bottom of the feet or the main engine... perhaps you should make that part hard modelled in polygons rather then texturing... seems to be a major part and I think it deserves some 3d geometry.

Wongster

underside is best screenie yet Lestat, amazing texture work... curious as to where you got the ideas for those details? You texturing of a certain picture? ah wel I dont' have access to that kind of stuff. Anyways, for the bottom of the feet or the main engine... perhaps you should make that part hard modelled in polygons rather then texturing... seems to be a major part and I think it deserves some 3d geometry.

Wongster

364313[/snapback]

God, I must have dreamed about explaining this. The engines are not in their completed form. They will have geometry, I just have not yet added it.

The textures are not quite finished on the underside (as you might notice). The main source I use is Miyatake's Design Works, especially the cover, the detail of the buster cannon mechanism and the schematics found in that book (and also partially in DYRL Gold Book). All were scanned courtesy of Nanashi and the NMMA of course.

For some of the textures, I actually ripped them from said sources, particularly the rear of the breast engines, which were taken from the buster cannon detail. I used image skewing to get them to look normal again, and then overlayed my own detail lines, etc.

The engine section is completely based on the old model's textures, double scale and overlayed with fresh detail lines. I still need to add in some highlights, as you might have noticed.

I would be too very interested what source/reference material you guys have used for those models & textures?

364320[/snapback]

Oh, I forgot about your enquiry about Macross series on the other thread on your "VF-S1" (which coincidentally, is actually a VF-1A by the head model, not a VF-1S if that is what you meant).

This Macross is the redesign featured in the 1984 Macross Movie, "Macross: Ai:oboeteimasuka" (Do You Remember Love?). The Macross featured far greater detail and design evolution and also used the ARMD carriers (also redesigned) instead of the Daedelus and Prometheus.

I would be too very interested what source/reference material you guys have used for those models & textures?

364320[/snapback]

Oh, I forgot about your enquiry about Macross series on the other thread on your "VF-S1" (which coincidentally, is actually a VF-1A by the head model, not a VF-1S if that is what you meant).

This Macross is the redesign featured in the 1984 Macross Movie, "Macross: Ai:oboeteimasuka" (Do You Remember Love?). The Macross featured far greater detail and design evolution and also used the ARMD carriers (also redesigned) instead of the Daedelus and Prometheus.

364356[/snapback]

I don't remember asking this kind of stuff, and I don't know anything about that vf-s1/vf-1a stuff either :huh:

I think you've got the wrong person now :lol:

Edit: Yup, at least the Valk thread was by wongster, not me ;)

Hmm, you may have accidentaly quoted the wrong person or something. Hey take it easy with that mod, you should get some sleep too :lol:

Edited by Sdf-1

Isn't this something like the third time she's been textured/mapped?

I'd love to see her transform... but if that can't be done my dissapointment must go to the wind.

In any case, here's hoping for an eventual release.

Isn't this something like the third time she's been textured/mapped?

I'd love to see her transform... but if that can't be done my dissapointment must go to the wind.

In any case, here's hoping for an eventual release.

364503[/snapback]

Sorry, SDF-1, yeah mistaken ID.

As for the macross, it's the second, this is all the same model. Texturing it right though is a right bastard.