Macross DYRL?: Space War One

The_Major

Gonna derail this a tad:  After looking up Freespace 2, this looks interesting! Is it as good as TIE Fighter was back in the day?  I stopped playing flight sims after my Sidewinder went kaput, but Freespace 2 is convincing me to splurge and get another stick...

btw, what's a good stick these days?  Or does Freespace 2 work on a mouse? :-p

326009[/snapback]

Well I use my sidewinder for all my compatable games. Still good. M$ have improved them slightly recently, so my money would be on a new Sidewinder.

On a side note has anyone got Mechwarrior.

I belong to a clan (combat group) in that game There is a healthy modding scene for it also.

Recently a lot of macross mechs have been added the one that fasa had copyright isuses with and Microsoft didnt put in so as not to upset BigWest.

Worth a look if you can you will need Mechwarrior Mercinarries as a base though to make the most of it Its coll running arround in Destroids and Glaugs. Im just waiting for someone to add VF1`s

Arg!

This is a forum for the Do You Remember Love Homeworld 2 Mod! Not for hijackings, similiar mods, or anything robotech!

...sorry for yelling, but this thread was created for this mod specificly, not lookalikes. If you're going to deviate further, could you move it outside this thread?

For I get exited when this updates, but I want to hear about developements on This mod, not something completley different.

Sorry I just thought that people might want to know.

On a par with this we could possibly get the models from these other games. I know that some of them are using Milkshape to make the mechs. and for instance ther is a way of removing models from Freelancer maybe there are similar ways for the other games.

I know that there are a great number of very talented Macross devotees that are doing models and environments for the HomeWorld engine.

All I mean is that it may help get this mod ready or provide some working models to enable trials etc of the game.

I didnt want to upset anyone and I say sorry to all again for this.

Edited by big F

IMO- it's fine. Just don't go overboard. I'm sure the team would be greatful for handy models being found for use.

Also in my opinion this model for BaDolza's base is... how should I say this... well, being blunt, it's insufficient.

Personally I'd like to see the macross mod done in high-quaility good poly graphics. The Dev team so far has suceeded in delivering on this. This model, however, looks only vaugely like the origional concept that was outlined in all the lineart. I'm sure the origional artist did the best he/she could to the abilities possible with the limited resources of the game this is in, but HW2 has the ability to feature models with incredible detail. If that full detail isn't used, then it's just a waste.

And speaking of the mod, where is the Dev team? There are still plenty of ships that can be released (MACROSS!), even for a pre-release! Where are they, where is the team, and is there any significant problem holding them up?

And speaking of the mod, where is the Dev team? There are still plenty of ships that can be released (MACROSS!), even for a pre-release! Where are they, where is the team, and is there any significant problem holding them up?

326138[/snapback]

I think the most oft used statement would be: "Real Life has taken up a lot of time."

Not that I'm pressuring them or anything :p A lot of mods these days are taking a loooot of time to complete as games get more and more complex... now that I think of it, aside from CS, DoD, and a few mods for Morrowind, most mods never get completed.

Bah! Real life is so troublesome!

:p yes, of course RL is always the problem. Of all the mods I've contributed to, MDYRL? is the slowest that's worked on, but the highest-quality graphics wise (Even when stacked next to Angels Fall First!). It's also pretty much the only Mod I'm eager to have played on HW2.

And most of the mods that aren't complete anyway have very high demands. Usually it's 'We MUST have a SP campaign!" or adding xyz that makes the game into a small movie (PDS has pulled this off though). Point is, high demand = Much delay on Mod.

That's why a Mod like the Point-Defense System mod is so sucessful- they started small and added periodic updates. DYRL? can't really do this because it's a total departure from the HW universe.

If I commanded my own mod (Have some of my own HW related ships I'd like to see modeled someday) I'd want to have just a new fleet released and nothing else (Well, maybe new effects). Mods that get in over their heads tend to flop- both from fans and from within.

• 2 weeks later...

Hooray for real life issues.. been having some serious internet problems so i havent been around much how ever it has given me some time to do alot of work. the UNS resouce platform is almost all but done as is the Zjent counterpart and some other misiclaneous ships. expect a flood of pictures within the next few days hehe ^_^;;

Ugh... I hope I can still junk the ugly Packrat and go with the better looking UNS miner craft. That thing was... primitive. And the cargo box looked ugly slung underside like that. Why didn't I put effort where it was due?

Hopefully, again, I can get around to doing more concepts sometime. But like everyone else here, Real Life is a big intrusion into my freetime. Unlike everyone else, it's more like personal issues and proper motivation (To borrow a term from the oh-so-great PDS Mod <_< )

How are we looking on the three sides?

I should also point out that if there is any vauge wish to include the supervision army, I'd ask that we knock that in before moving onto scripting an SP campaign (Unless one is already in progress). Like I said above or elsewhere somewhere, promised SP campaigns kill mods if they don't have the resources to do so (Which is nearly everyone... since I have yet to see a SP campaign modded for HW2).

Enjhoy.

• 2 weeks later...
Hooray for real life issues.. been having some serious internet problems so i havent been around much how ever it has given me some time to do alot of work. the UNS resouce platform is almost all but done as is the Zjent counterpart and some other misiclaneous ships. expect a flood of pictures within the next few days hehe ^_^;;

329397[/snapback]

I dunno, not much of a flood going on arond here... :lol:

come on, please tell me you're been up to something, or that you've been hiding the completed mod in your basement, ready for alll of us to enjoy.

PLEAASEEE!?!

I promise, there is news coming soon. Nanashi and I are attempting to get in touch with everyone to make a repository of work so far, and I'm working again on the Macross model - which is, at best, tedius.

Hopefully we'll have some positive news soon.

Progress at last.

On the SDF-Macross. These images show off the newer textures. Been working on the main weapons booms today and central hull. I've been working directly off Kazutaka Miyatake's Desgin Works, curtesy of Nanashi.

Hope this spurs this thread to like some.

post-544-1129556744_thumb.jpg

post-544-1129556758_thumb.jpg

Kinda bizarre that this thread should be updated just as I'm playing through Homeworld 2 for the second time.

The progress looks quite extraordinary. I hate to say anything bad about your work, but I hope things get underway soon. Best of luck.

Ok, just to show this isn't a one off screenie, here's today's progress. I've cleaned up the texture on the middle of the main gun booms, which I think you'll all agree look alot less cartoonish.

I've also fixed the rear of the shoulders, which you can't see here, and began work on the breast textures, which are prooving to be highly detailed (which you will only see in Storm Attacker Mode).

Anyway, without further adeu, today's progress.

post-544-1129647539_thumb.jpg

I know you guys thought we were dead- but RL is a bitch - on a serious note- what do you guys want to see- We can do this- just give us time- it's hard to do it with a small staff- so if you know someone who has skills and like MACROSS- send them our way.

What needs to happen right now, is for the team to get their collective work together in one place so that we can assess what we have already, and what needs doing, so that a fresh line of tasks can be delegated out.

Right now, we have no centralisation, and very poor communication. At the moment, no one seems to have been able to get in touch with the Major, who I believe is the guy who has the most of the mod together on his PC...

Alot of progress has been made behind the scenes, and in the past, we've talked about making a release. Our conditions were, that there be two models in place:

1. The VF-1A Valkyrie.

and

2. The SDF-1 Macross.

The valk is modelled, and as you've seen, so are its various fast packs.

The Macross is what's holding us up, and it will take some time to finish. After that, the ARMDs have to be textured (we can just use two ARMD-01 models on the MAcross for now - after all, that's how Miyatake drew them in his most recent sketches), but it's possible (and will mean a sooner release) to just add in the macross minus the ARMDs as soon as it's done, and get out our first beta release.

Such dedicated fans deserve some recognition.

No promises or dates though...

Awesome work guys. I wish I had the skills to help you but my 3d Max and Milkshape skills are lacking compared to what Ive seen here. I do though have the Showji Kawamori art books an I have another winging its way to me from Japan ( I forget its name but its more of the same) so If you need hires scans etc just pm me and I will see you right.

Awesome work guys. I wish I had the skills to help you but my 3d Max and Milkshape skills are lacking compared to what Ive seen here. I do though have the Showji Kawamori art books an I have another winging its way to me from Japan ( I forget its name but its more of the same) so If you need hires scans etc just pm me and I will see you right.

337661[/snapback]

While we appreciate the offer, we've got the scans covered by Nanashi. Thanks anyway. It's good just to have the community support, even if it's just to be told that we're doing a good job.

The Macross is what's holding us up, and it will take some time to finish. After that, the ARMDs have to be textured (we can just use two ARMD-01 models on the MAcross for now - after all, that's how Miyatake drew them in his most recent sketches), but it's possible (and will mean a sooner release) to just add in the macross minus the ARMDs as soon as it's done, and get out our first beta release.

I meant to imply by this that we will probably release the macross as is without the ARMD carriers and ergo, without the animations. However, the final product should be able to transform. At least that's our intent.

Thanks for the offer Boxer. I'm sure in the future your amazing talents will be called upon. However, for now, as I have stated, we need to take an evaluation of what progress has been made. Communication will be the key. So we're waiting primarily to get back in contact with the Major first...

Oh, and here's a little tidbit. A study on the carriers/ships on the Megaroad, that you may or may not have noticed, with the ship elements seperated by gradient from the central hull.

Original scan curtesy Nanashi.

Original designs by Miyatake.

post-544-1129753754_thumb.gif

There was a lot of discussion about those 'ships' a while ago in the main thread. I maintained they were new ARMD classes, but some people thought they were part of the main ship/some new kind of vessel.

338091[/snapback]

Well, as I'm (to my knowledge) the only person (perhaps in existance) to actually attempt to model the megaroad, I've studdied all the source material there is and am still undecided on many points (such as the scale of the ship). I am however convinced, that these are individual ships, four of them. Two are ARMD varients, and the other two, appear to be redesigns/relizations of the Daedelus.

I imagine they may well be designed around the successful concept of space war I of using a directional barrier (a technology we've also seen in later macross series) to breach the hull of a ship, and then destroy it from the inside (via destroids). It certainly makes sense, and was in the period preceeding the decline of the destroid...

:huh:

Your having problems with the MegaRoad's scale?!?

Try overlaying captures from Flash Back 2012 with the tranformed SDF-1 in Perfect Memory page 140. Specifically the bridges, which are the same style and size. The Mega is roughly 4-5 times as wide as the transformed SDF(don't know the version. Getting a length figure is somewhat more vague. I'd say by comparasion the length is over 2.5-3.25 times the SDF.

So it's somewhere in the range of 1000-1500 meters wide and somewhere in the 3500-5000 meter length range. But I'd say that getting the proporations right is of a larger concern. ;)