1/72 VF-1 booster launch vehicle

captain america

Hi all.

At the request of Samurai Monkey Models, I'm posting some preview pictures of the 1/72 Launch Vehicle for the Valkyrie Booster. The core of which is the launch pylon/rail, atop which the Valk and booster sit.

The detail herein was extrapolated as best as possible from the singular (and minuscule) sketch of the launch vehicle. I've also obviously improvised to fill-in the gaps in the structure that were not visible, and unlike the Booster unit, the Launch Vehicle will be much more "mixed media", making use of not only resin, but also metal cast parts, steel screws and wiring accessories.

Cheers!

post-3-1098162809_thumb.jpg

Also...

It was decided that the launch vehicle, because of its extreme size and cost, would be offered in two components: the first being the launch rail/pylon assembly/podium and then after, the launch vehicle itself. The idea behind this is that firstly, it helps to defray the cost of the whole shebang into much more affordable segments for those who want the whole booster launch system, but also, for those who may not have the means to afford /don't want the whole monty, those customers may simply want the booster and then use the launch rail as an elaborate display base.

Also...

It was decided that the launch vehicle, because of its extreme size and cost, would be offered in two components: the first being the launch rail/pylon assembly/podium and then after, the launch vehicle itself. The idea behind this is that firstly, it helps to defray the cost of the whole shebang into much more affordable segments for those who want the whole booster launch system, but also, for those who may not have the means to afford /don't want the whole monty, those customers may simply want the booster and then use the launch rail as an elaborate display base.

im assuming captain is making the launcher shown in the tv show.

heres a thread where i took some screen grabs if people are wondering what the rest of the launcher looks like.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...topic=10572&hl=

Looks great!

I realize this is very early in the process, but is there a ballpark figure for how

much each component might cost? Not trying to pin you down on a final price,

just need to determine how many pennies I need to start saving.

Thanks

I love it!

Captain America, thank you for your hard work. You can definately count me in as a buyer for this and any other projects you guys do.

We're not worthy! We're not worthy!

:D

THOR

Fantastic job John!!

You come though again! Great interpretation - any chance that it can swivel so that we can adjust the "angle of launch" after construction. I'm sure the Valk with booster would be removeable after construction as well - right?

You've got me a little worried, by splitting the cost (good idea) how much more could the vehicle itself be - I may not be able to afford both parts - so I would like to get an idea now if possible. :unsure: The outlook for the film business in T.O. isn't all that hot - on the bright side, I am hoping to start on your excellent booster as soon as I finish my current job. Hoping to start in November.

Keep it up - and thanks for the progress pics - it makes my day!

Wm

Hi guys.

Let's see, where do I start... :p

Firstly, much to my own chagrin, the booster pylon doesn't swivel up or down: because of the relatively heavy weight of the booster unit, and the thin cross-section of the launch rail would have made the model dangerously unstable if I were to allow it to pivot, so I decided to make the launch angle fixed.

Also, as the booster unit is VERY back-heavy ( full resin nozzles, versus a VERY light plastic kit at the front) makes the whole booster assembly want to fall on its tailpipes, even in full horizontal. Therefore, I'm designing the whole thing to mount to the launch rail via eight hex-head screws, to hold the booster firmly in place. I suppose that you COULD unscrew the vehicle and remove it once complete, but generally, I'd tend to say that it should be affixed permanently for stability reasons.

Price: the launch rail/pylon is seemingly going to be about the same price as the booster; I think it's set at $105, but that will include the paypal fees. The fact that there will be about 14 screws, metal cast parts and wires, not to mention using a slightly more expensive plastic all had to be taken into account financially.

Wow... :( I was a bit worried about that. In no way is this any criticism of John's excellent sculpting abilities and all the great effort Rob & Jesse are contributing to this very worthwhile project - but the price is a bit steep for me. :unsure:

So I would assume that the vehicle is a fair hunk of resin (sheer size wise) too, and would probably be in the $100+ range right? $300+ dollars (total before the Hasegawa kit) for the whole booster/launch vehicle is a bit hard to swallow and justify for me right now.

Thats too bad, I love what you guys are doing (truely excellent work John), and that this is one of my favourite mechs of all time that has yet to be done.

:D I'd gladly take donations on this :p Are there any producers on these boards that need an art director for their upcomming film?? :D;)

I'm so sad... there are lotteries though ;)

Hi Super O.

Actually, the whole point of the launch rail/base is that it MUST be strong enough to support the weight of the finished booster, and it will--> see pics below.

Regular resin would've been too brittle and insufficiently strong to do the job, so I switched to a high-impact, high strength polymer in which to cast the base and part of the support pylon. The down side of this is that this material is more expensive than regular resin, but it sands/putties/machines every bit as nicely. The central column part (with the 3 triangular openings) is set to be cast in metal for oprimal strength, but I'm still going to experiment with the new polymer; the stuff is so tough that it might very well be strong enough to cast the main support in as well.

post-3-1098309853_thumb.jpg

:ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

brb, i gotta wash off the drool on my keyboard. :o

*changes mind*

must... glue... eyes... to... monitor...

must... stare... harder...

must... stop... drooling...

... ... ... ... ... ....

*drool* :o

*looks down*

$#!T...

Edited by AlphaHX