Diecast Aircraft Collectors

That's cool, to me, my Valkyrie collection goes hand in hand with my Diecast planes, aviation is the lure to me. Are you guys members of any Diecast forums?

Nah, I have little time as it is to catch up with MW.

I got the same Armour F-14. With something that big you think Armour would at least have built some swing wings. But it sure makes for one gorgeous paperweight.

Well, theres a nice little board for Diecast Airplane collectors if you're interested at www.modelhangar.com, I just joined it this month and they have some cool hookups to Corgi with some upcoming special editions from the Flying Mule. I come to these boards for Macross and Sci-Fi, and the others for nitty gritty on warbirds, especially the WWII variation. Anyhow, if you wanna swing by, feel free to. ;)

Technically I don't really collect die-cast anymore, I prefer the plastic variety. :) But go back about 15 years, and it's a different story... I collected all the little die-cast planes you could get for about $.85 back then.. the Dyna-flites, and Skybusters, etc.. loved those things. Actually, when I think back it's kinda freaky.. most kids sleep with a stuffed toy as a little kid.. I cuddled up with my favorite toy planes.... yeah.. I know. Is it any wonder I'm an aeronautics major? :p

Never liked Aloha, and turboprops are severely under-represented (no ATR's, etc), but I have a few Hawaiian:

Current colors 717, old colors L-1011, old colors MD-80. Might pick up a DC-8-62 in the future.

Actually, the 717 is in that pic. About 2/3 "back", front row. Look for the KLM MD-11---there's a United 727 behind that (grey scheme)--the 717 is right behind that one, just below the Yellowbird DC-9. You can just make out the tail. :) Well, and the nose, since it projects ahead of the UAL 727's nose, but it's plain white and not distinctive.

Edited by David Hingtgen

Technically I don't really collect die-cast anymore, I prefer the plastic variety. :) But go back about 15 years, and it's a different story... I collected all the little die-cast planes you could get for about $.85 back then.. the Dyna-flites, and Skybusters, etc.. loved those things. Actually, when I think back it's kinda freaky.. most kids sleep with a stuffed toy as a little kid.. I cuddled up with my favorite toy planes.... yeah.. I know. Is it any wonder I'm an aeronautics major? :p

More like, lucky you lived with your eyeballs intact! :lol:

(sharp cornered objects in bed with you while at sleep. yikes! :blink: )

That's cool, to me, my Valkyrie collection goes hand in hand with my Diecast planes, aviation is the lure to me. Are you guys members of any Diecast forums?

Here's a pic of my 1/48 Roy w/ a 1/48 Jolly Roger F-14:

valk1.jpg

Nice picture! I'd like to link it in another thread that shows Macross stuff with other stuff in-scale, if you don't mind.

Herpa primarily does 1/500, I collect 1/400. They do some 1/400, and the recent stuff has been quite nice, but most of their 1/400 isn't that great. The only Herpa in the collection is the Lufthansa at the very left edge of the pic. (down low, behind the stand, not the 747 up higher)

My collection is mostly Dragon, then probably Gemini, SMA, Jet-X, Aeroclassics. Just got 5 new Gemini's today in fact. :)

If you're wondering why I don't have massive numbers of Armor F-14's etc:

Airliners tend to be identical. One 767-200 mold will be accurate for every 767-200 ever. But military planes vary a LOT. Armor's F-14A is like Block 95, and I will not accept that for a Block 75, 110, etc. I want near-perfect accuracy for military planes, thus I generally build kits (SLOWLY) myself.

Edited by David Hingtgen

Not die cast but I have over 200 plastic model airplanes on my closet with 'bout another 100 built, actually I have one Metal model, it's a SE Caravelle, very old and huge.. problably 1/48.. it weighs a ton, thank's to my uncle for that present, it was his for years and when I got my private pilot certificate he gave it to me.

Here's a pic of my 1/48 Roy w/ a 1/48 Jolly Roger F-14:

valk1.jpg

Nice picture! I'd like to link it in another thread that shows Macross stuff with other stuff in-scale, if you don't mind.

sure! ;):)

That's only "Shelf #1". Shelves 2, 3, 4, and 5 are all very similar, and contain the other 70% of the collection. :)

The only "Soviet" jet I have is a CSA Tu-154. I'd like an Il-62 in LOT colors or something. There's not many available. An-124 just came out, might get one of those.

• 2 months later...

That's unlikely, since even at 1/10 scale you usually can't have accurate, working gear. Yeesh, the F-18's is so complex most people can't figure out how it works in 1/1 scale. Asking for working gear is pretty much the same as asking for working triple-slotted fowler flaps on a 747. Making several dozen small moving parts in a 1-inch long part is not going to happen.

Now, you could have working gear on say a P-51, but not any plane which actually twists/folds its gear--which is about half of all WW2 planes, and about 99% of all post-WW2 planes.

And even if you do have working gear, getting working gear DOORS is even harder, since they tend to be interlinked to both each other, as well as the gear struts...

Given that I'm a gamer first and foremost, and tend to spend most of my free money on videogames, I haven't been able to justify spending money on larger diecast planes or model kits.

I did, however, try collecting some of the "Hot Wings" planes you used to be able to find in some department stores' toy section (I got mine at Ames). They were like Hot Wheels, I suppose, but they were planes instead of cars.

I got the F-14, F-15, F-16, F/A-18, F-20, F-22, F-117, B-2, and SR-71.

I have no idea what happened to the company, though. I'd have liked to collect a lot more of their stuff.

personally I think Armor replicas are getting a bit overrated just check out the lovely "Tornado GR.3" they did recently

CDCB611.jpg

I collect mainly dragonwings, Corgi AA and i have a 1/48 Eurofighter from long prosper models before they went bust

Edited by Prowlus

• 2 weeks later...

Although I love the size of the Armour F-14's the inaccuracy issues concerning both the mold & camo's have prevented me from acquiring any more than the 2 I have already have (VF-84 & VX-4). Now that Dragon has finally announced their first F-14 we may be able to get out hands on a accurate Tomcat, unless they pull another Strike Eagle on us.