Diecast Aircraft Collectors

32 minutes ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

I think Hobby Master is the only game in town for die cast F-106s for now.  I'm surprised they haven't made a MI ANG version yet, it's a cool paint scheme.

Nuts! I guess it's plan A then. I wanted to present my father with an F-106A in MIANG's 171st FIS colors for his birthday. I'm even trying to figure out his tail number... Plan A is to get a model and build it up and paint it and find a decal sheet with his tail number and nose art. I was hoping for a quick solution, but I guess not... 

Edit:

Found the tail number, 58-0772. If y'all find anything in your searches, let me know please?

Edited by Valkyrie Driver

9 hours ago, Valkyrie Driver said:

Nuts! I guess it's plan A then. I wanted to present my father with an F-106A in MIANG's 171st FIS colors for his birthday. I'm even trying to figure out his tail number... Plan A is to get a model and build it up and paint it and find a decal sheet with his tail number and nose art. I was hoping for a quick solution, but I guess not... 

Edit:

Found the tail number, 58-0772. If y'all find anything in your searches, let me know please?

Caracal has the decals in 1/72 scale and in 1/48 scale.  Good luck, it sounds like a great present.

Yep, was just about to post the link there, was wondering which scale you plan to go for. :)  Finding a 1/48th kit can be a little trickier, and the old Monogram mold can be a royal pain to finish due to the construction, but I think it's still preferred for accuracy over the Trumpeter release in some ways?  Something about the landing gear, and certain cockpit details, I believe, and maybe the intake shape, but I'm not sure at the moment.  I think a 1/72 kit would be a lot easier to complete anyway, and much easier to display, as the 106 is a pretty large plane.

My dad grew up in Fresno watching the sixes come and go, so I grew up with his love for them ingrained in me, and I've built a couple myself, but the various kits all have their quirks.

3 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Caracal has the decals in 1/72 scale and in 1/48 scale.  Good luck, it sounds like a great present.

Thanks, unfortunately those sheets are missing one critical detail. The nose art, which was a pretty distinctive feature. 

3 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Yep, was just about to post the link there, was wondering which scale you plan to go for. :)  Finding a 1/48th kit can be a little trickier, and the old Monogram mold can be a royal pain to finish due to the construction, but I think it's still preferred for accuracy over the Trumpeter release in some ways?  Something about the landing gear, and certain cockpit details, I believe, and maybe the intake shape, but I'm not sure at the moment.  I think a 1/72 kit would be a lot easier to complete anyway, and much easier to display, as the 106 is a pretty large plane.

My dad grew up in Fresno watching the sixes come and go, so I grew up with his love for them ingrained in me, and I've built a couple myself, but the various kits all have their quirks.

I've found a 1/48 scale kit, it's a revell re-release of the old monogram kit. There's also a 1/72 by Hasegawa that's probably what I'd go for, since I want to put it in a display box for my dad's desk. The 1/48 is probably a bit too involved in making it look right. Raised panel lines, and the thing would probably need a pound of bondo for all the seams, the vertical stab has some wonky issues with gaps, the wings have gap issues. It's a royal pain, and would tax my skills to make it look good. But, there is also the fact that there are decal sheets out there for that kit that have the nose art...

But I suppose that as long as the tail number is correct that's all that matters right?

So yeah, having built the Monogram kit, the seams are a pain.  There are ways to mitigate that, but what you really need to do is chop the kit up to allow the wing to be installed after the fuselage is completed, and either way, you're going to probably wind up sanding the entire thing smooth.

Far as the 1/72 Hasegawa kit goes, I've got one of those too, and it's a beautiful little kit, but I don't think there's ever been a retool of that kit with engraved details either.  The one I have is a 90s reboxing of a kit that my dad also built in the late 70s.  The only one I know for sure of with engraving is the Trumpeter 1/48th.

Getting more back on the actual topic, the seams are also what kind of deters me from the Hobby Master one.  It also has some odd curves to the nose section that make me think it's based directly off of the Hasegawa kit.

I just need to get a fancier 3D printer, and I can start printing out the version I built for Microsoft Flight Sim. :p 

43 minutes ago, Valkyrie Driver said:

So, with the die cast models, are the markings painted on? Or could they be removed and replaced? 

The markings are painted on.  A few have markings that can be added on.

Your nose art issue reminds of some custom stickers I made for the 1/48 valks years ago.  I made a large drawing of my logo, scanned it onto my PC, and colored it via MS Paint.  I then resized the image then printed it on a blank sticker sheet.  Maybe the same could be done for your nose art, just print it on decal paper.

14 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

The markings are painted on.  A few have markings that can be added on.

Your nose art issue reminds of some custom stickers I made for the 1/48 valks years ago.  I made a large drawing of my logo, scanned it onto my PC, and colored it via MS Paint.  I then resized the image then printed it on a blank sticker sheet.  Maybe the same could be done for your nose art, just print it on decal paper.

I could. The problem is that it's a custom painted thing, and I'm not sure I can really replicate it. Since it was itself a copy of a cartoon, "The Last Great Act of Defiance"

Image result for the last great act of defiance

10 hours ago, Valkyrie Driver said:

I could. The problem is that it's a custom painted thing, and I'm not sure I can really replicate it. Since it was itself a copy of a cartoon, "The Last Great Act of Defiance"

I'm not 100% sure, but the first decal sheet listed on this site may have the art you're looking for. In 1/72 scale no less.

I just got a shipping notice that Hobby Master's F-117 is on its way to me - yay!

3 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

I'm not 100% sure, but the first decal sheet listed on this site may have the art you're looking for. In 1/72 scale no less.

I just got a shipping notice that Hobby Master's F-117 is on its way to me - yay!

I didn't know Bare-Metal made decals that far back (based on copyright date on the sheet).   I'm always thankful they made decals for the IA ANG, because we had some kick-ass tail markings:

aF162-13.jpg

On 11/17/2017 at 6:08 PM, Major Focker said:

Those came and went really fast, especially the Flankers.  That was a couple of years ago, so at this point Mandarake and Evilbay are probably your best bets.

On 11/17/2017 at 6:43 PM, David Hingtgen said:

I didn't know Bare-Metal made decals that far back (based on copyright date on the sheet).   I'm always thankful they made decals for the IA ANG, because we had some kick-ass tail markings:

aF162-13.jpg

Can't see your pic, David.

Only the prototype has been released and Inheld off on that one waiting for the operational scheme instead. Also want the green nosed first Su-27 release. The beginning of next year is going to be expensive for me:

HM Syrian conflict Su-35

HM Soviet Su-27

Calibre VF-14 F-14

Calibre Robotech F-14S

both Evolution Mospeada’s

Eaglemoss U.S.S. Shinzou 

crap how am I going to pay for all of that???

Chris

Edited by Dobber

On the fora, that 35 is hailed as accurate, huge, and well built and painted. It’s awesome. 

I didn’t grab one - I want a 27 myself - but I am getting HM’s new 117 next week. I’ll report if you like. 

4 hours ago, Dobber said:

Only the prototype has been released and Inheld off on that one waiting for the operational scheme instead. Also want the green nosed first Su-27 release. The beginning of next year is going to be expensive for me:

HM Sirian conflict Su-35

HM Soviet Su-27

Calibre VF-14 F-14

Calibre Robotech F-14S

both Evolution Mospeada’s

Eaglemoss U.S.S. Shinzou 

crap how am I going to pay for all of that???

Chris

on the bright side at least you know whatever coming to budget accordingly. 

my eye is on HM releases namely the sukhoi's, upcoming F-15 schemes, the agressor F-16 and the red diamonds Sabre. I do know i wont be able to afford some of these, have to figure out which i need to drop. 

Oh yea and cal wings Su-24 and jcwings releases as well...argh...

3 hours ago, Sildani said:

On the fora, that 35 is hailed as accurate, huge, and well built and painted. It’s awesome. 

I didn’t grab one - I want a 27 myself - but I am getting HM’s new 117 next week. I’ll report if you like. 

Wont hear any objection from me if there is info to share!  You collect 117s? Will you be getting the farewell version next April too?

Edited by seti88

9 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Thought the coupon was only good for in-stock items though?

For the 20% off deal, yes. They had another discount for pre orders.

7 hours ago, seti88 said:

Anyone got HM's latest sukhoi prototype or operational scheme? 

Nicely done?

Was on my list then stick came and 'overrode' the sukhoi...

It's fantastic.  I have the other prototype Su-35 made by Air Force 1 from a while back and the difference in quality between AF1's and HM's is huge.

3 hours ago, Sildani said:

I am getting HM’s new 117 next week. I’ll report if you like. 

Do it. I haven't had a chance to open mine up.

Edited by Valkyrie Hunter D

• 4 weeks later...

So I'm torn.  Anyone have one of the Century Wings 1/72 F-14 releases who can tell me if I got a serious lemon, or if it's just the standard of quality?

Got my VF-84 AJ202 out of the box about a week ago, and looked it over briefly before putting it back until I found a place to display it.  I looked closer at it today, and the rubbery nose probes on it were a disaster.  The front right one is a mangled mess, twisting down and outwards at a goofy angle, and the rearmost two were mounted cockeyed, as if the mounts didn't fit in their spots.

I was able to pop them out and try regluing them, but they just do not fit.  And my work to try and push them in better chipped the paint around the mounts.  It's not too visible, but it's frustrating.

Edit: Got them back on decently, I had to snip away a decent amount of the rectangular bases around the probes to get them in, but they fit now, and I was able to touch up the mounts with some model master acrylic gull gray, so they look quite a bit better than they did out of the box.

Edited by Chronocidal

5 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

So I'm torn.  Anyone have one of the Century Wings 1/72 F-14 releases who can tell me if I got a serious lemon, or if it's just the standard of quality?

Got my VF-84 AJ202 out of the box about a week ago, and looked it over briefly before putting it back until I found a place to display it.  I looked closer at it today, and the rubbery nose probes on it were a disaster.  The front right one is a mangled mess, twisting down and outwards at a goofy angle, and the rearmost two were mounted cockeyed, as if the mounts didn't fit in their spots.

That sounds like a mess, it may just be a lemon.  I have the VF-84 AJ203, most of the probes seem fine; just one on the starboard side looks like it maybe angled upward by the tiniest degree.  I have another VF-84 Tomcat of theirs from the earlier releases and that one looks fine all around.  I have a lot of CW birds, and I have nothing but praise for their F-8s and A-6s.  Incidentally, the only one that I have a complaint about is another Tomcat, from the VF-213 Blacklions.  The canopy on mine seems shifty and doesn't sit flush.

Sounds like a lemon to me as well, though I think Century’s QC did start to suffer as the line continued. I still have the very first 2 releases ironically back when they only cost around $45 and they are perfect, then as the line continued the price is now almost 3 times as much and quality is down. Ridiculous <_<

Chris

Yeah, I'm just going to hope Calibre Wings releases a classic VF-84 bird down the line.  The CW one just has a ton of minor issues, but still looks good on a shelf.

I think the thing that surprised me the most was how sloppy the tolerances on some of the parts are.  Half the missiles fall off under their own weight, the closed gear bays fit really badly, and the exhaust nozzles don't really attach at all. 

Speaking of the exhausts though.. worst afterburner cans ever. :lol: While I had my paints out to touch up the nose probes, I coated the bright white exhausts in something darker.

• 1 month later...

Not to rain on the parade, but Calibre needs to get with it on their other releases before I get excited for more F-14s. :p  Still waiting on that VF-142 set.

That being said, that one will be an insta-buy for me, since it's the only release so far to include a complete set of wing glove pylon configurations, including the proper phoenix rails.  From what I recall, the Century Wings F-14s fudge the mount, and stick the phoenixes to the sparrow adapters.

• 9 months later...

Wanting to get my little guy some diecast aircraft and needed some suggestions. He has a few ~2" jets that he loves so I want something a bit larger, say 6-9" with more detail. preferably $20-50 price range. Here are a couple examples I am looking at but literally I don't know anything about these, or other manufacturers, so any advice on which lines/manufacturers make better product would be appreciated:

Amercom Blackbird: https://www.diecastairplane.com/store/p/126487-YF-12C-SR-71A-Blackbird-NASA-1971-1-144.html

Daron/Postage Stamp Blackbird: https://www.flyingmule.com/products/MP-PS5389-1

Smithsonian Nighthawk: https://www.flyingmule.com/products/AF-A00145

Gentlemen if I may ask:

If I were in the market for a Supermarine Spitfire (Mk Ia/IIa/V) in one of a larger scale (1/32, 1/48, 1/24, ...1/1? ;))

Are there any, and if yes, what are the better models out there? (No kits, I've been sucking at modeling ever since working with clay in Kindergarten :lol:)