Diecast Aircraft Collectors

An IDS painted up as an ADV. With bombs no less. Not at all surprised, Armour is king of "we'll use one mold and paint it up as EVERY version no matter how different". Love their TF30-powered F-14B's...

That's Wing Commander David Hamilton's plane. But yeah wrong aircraft.

Interestingly enough RAF IDS were painted in a low-vis ADV type scheme during the Iraq operation. Perhaps thats how this beloved manufacturer got confused :(

I love Tornados, it just rarely comes up. ESPECIALLY ADV's. And of course, one that has my initials on the tail.... :) I've got the first release 1/72 Corgi IDS, it's quite nice.

Anyways--here's the just announced DW F-14 if you haven't seen:

http://www.dragonmodelsusa.com/dmlusa/prodd.asp?pid=DRW50045

I'll certainly buy at least this one, since it is my all-time fave scheme and squadron.

Can't QUITE tell which one it is. Has an "ECM only" chinpod, but I'm not aware of that being used with a "yellow-edged" tail-logo. Also, looks like there might be the Superman logo present, but that plane had multi-colored stripes AFAIK. (Though I think there were 2 variations of that scheme)

We suspect a massive typo. Nobody's ever made working F-14 flaps, not even at 1/10 scale R/C planes. We think they mean swing-wings. That, or they made incredibly wrong working flaps...

I hope its a typo. If they put 1/48 Yamato VF-1 style 'flaps' on it it'll be utterly annoying. Plus if there is no swing wing, the wings will most likely be stuck in the full swept position which makes putting flaps on it all the dumber.

• 10 years later...

I've ignored this hobby for far too long. Doing a bit of browsing, I've missed out on some sweet looking planes, namely A-6s, F-8s, and most importantly F-111s. I'm looking for a F-111, but does anyone here know offhand if a 1/72 scale Royal Australian Air Force Aardvark was ever made?

Edited by Valkyrie Hunter D

I've ignored this hobby for far too long. Doing a bit of browsing, I've missed out on some sweet looking planes, namely A-6s, F-8s, and most importantly F-111s. I'm looking for a F-111, but does anyone here know offhand if a 1/72 scale Royal Australian Air Force Aardvark was ever made?

Yes, Hobby Master has released several RAAF F-111s in 1/72 scale.

Wow, talk about a thread coming back from the dead! :lol:

Edited by Vifam7

• 7 months later...

The day's finally arrived. Die cast models of Aérospatiale/BAC Concordes have finally been made at a scale I can truly appreciate. Gemini Jets has previously released a 1/200 scale Concorde in British Airways livery, but the one I was waiting for was the Air France version, one of their latest releases. I received it yesterday, and it is glorious. It has been painted beautifully; I couldn't find a flaw. Its total length is approximately one foot with a wingspan of five inches, and it has a good heft to it. The model can be displayed in-flight or with the landing gear down. I haven't plugged the landing gear in yet, but I have to point out that the doors used for the rear in in-flight mode are attached via small round magnets. It's really cool and I wish more models would use that approach. The front in-flight doors on mine aren't completely flush, they stick out by a fraction of a millimeter, but I reckon a filing job would fix that. The model's nose even has the drooping action with a attachable visor to simulate the fully streamlined mode. Even with the tiny pegs used to attach the visor, mine is a little loose. It's a minor niggle that doesn't detract from the overall excellence this model exudes. Not many accessories to mention; just a wooden display stand (with rubber padding to avoid scratching where it attaches to the model-nice!) and two small picks that are used to remove the landing doors in in-flight mode. It's a great piece, and any die cast plane collector should check it out.

post-18-0-93803500-1471980106_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-70983300-1471980137_thumb.jpg

post-18-0-35606900-1471980188_thumb.jpg

If i still had my planes on display then i probably would've taken you up on that idea but these days room is an absolute premium due to all my Macross stuffs.. the only plane I still have out is my XB-70 Valkyrie sitting on my gaming pc tower.

Does your Concorde have the drooping nose feature?

You needn't have waited years---I've had my 1/200 diecast AF Concorde for years. First release with actual map used in flight. I'd have sold you mine. :)

Like this one:

It's been so long that I totally forgot those! Help me out David, is that the Hogan or Socates?

the only plane I still have out is my XB-70 Valkyrie sitting on my gaming pc tower.

Is your XB-70 the one from Dragon?

No, the nose is fixed on mine. But I think the parts fit isn't that great on the ones that can and it'd bug me.

yeah I did notice that the fit of the movable nose version is not so good.. just another excuse not to consider buying one! but I do like the idea of it!

• 1 year later...

Have recently gotten into 1/72 scale diecast WWII fighters.

At the moment, just buying my favorite British planes, as I'm British.....haha.

So far just have a Corgi Spitfire Mk V, an Oxford Tempest Mk V and a Corgi Hurricane Mk I. Planning to add a Typhoon Mk 1b to the collection soon.

Eventually, I'll add my two favorite American planes to the collection, the F4U Corsair and the P-47D Thunderbolt.

Probably add an Bf-109 and an FW-190 at some stage too.

4 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Heads up, Hobby Master is releasing their first Flanker soon, and it looks stunning. I know I can't be the only one looking forward to it.  

it does look nice eh!

1 hour ago, Graham said:

Have recently gotten into 1/72 scale diecast WWII fighters.

At the moment, just buying my favorite British planes, as I'm British.....haha.

So far just have a Corgi Spitfire Mk V, an Oxford Tempest Mk V and a Corgi Hurricane Mk I. Planning to add a Typhoon Mk 1b to the collection soon.

Eventually, I'll add my two favorite American planes to the collection, the F4U Corsair and the P-47D Thunderbolt.

Probably add an Bf-109 and an FW-190 at some stage too.

You don't fancy the P-51 at all?

8 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

Heads up, Hobby Master is releasing their first Flanker soon, and it looks stunning. I know I can't be the only one looking forward to it.  

It was on my list few months ago, but the VF2SS and VE-1 and now perhaps the 31J kai have somehow superseded it...sigh....

Tho the syrian flanker is still nipping at my tots...

I still have my Ertl ones from back in the day. Including the F-15A I crashed into my forehead whilst running across the yard. Needed stitches, I think I was 4...

I'd love to collect Die Cast planes, and I'd probably go with my favorites from the Jet Era, Namely the F-14D, F-15E, F-16C, and F/A-18C and A-10C. I'd probably also go back a ways and collect the ones my Dad flew (getting extras for him as well). The B-52G/H, the RF-101C, the RF-84F, The F-106A, and the F-4C/D, were all the planes my dad flew and those were the ones I grew up with. If Only I could get the fighters with 171st FIS markings...

2 hours ago, Valkyrie Driver said:

I still have my Ertl ones from back in the day. Including the F-15A I crashed into my forehead whilst running across the yard. Needed stitches, I think I was 4...

I'd love to collect Die Cast planes, and I'd probably go with my favorites from the Jet Era, Namely the F-14D, F-15E, F-16C, and F/A-18C and A-10C. I'd probably also go back a ways and collect the ones my Dad flew (getting extras for him as well). The B-52G/H, the RF-101C, the RF-84F, The F-106A, and the F-4C/D, were all the planes my dad flew and those were the ones I grew up with. If Only I could get the fighters with 171st FIS markings...

Ertl Force One? I loved those as a kid! Removable missiles, retracting landing gear, and awesome decals. I had a Tomcat and a Phantom.

I bought a box of different Ertl Force One planes from eBay years ago, and the SR-71 in a separate auction, all new in the package. Still have them in the closet, waiting for I don't know what. I sometimes think about selling them but...they're really cool.

13 hours ago, seti88 said:

It was on my list few months ago, but the VF2SS and VE-1 and now perhaps the 31J kai have somehow superseded it...sigh....

Tho the syrian flanker is still nipping at my tots...

I'm so glad Hobby Master is making more MiGs and Sukhois now.  The Witty Wings/JC Wings Flankers have nice color schemes but the sculpt was glaringly off in the nosecone area.

I have a Spitfire and Hurricane in 1/48 from Hobby Master, an Me-109E and FW-190D from Carousel 1, also 1/48, and a Do-17Z and Ju-88 in 1/72 from Corgi. 

Also have a 1/72 F-22 from Hobby Master. 

5 hours ago, Valkyrie Hunter D said:

I'm so glad Hobby Master is making more MiGs and Sukhois now.  The Witty Wings/JC Wings Flankers have nice color schemes but the sculpt was glaringly off in the nosecone area.

Certainly spoilt for choice between HM, JC and CalWings (for their frogfoot). JC's  latest ukranian flanker scheme isnt too bad looking either, nosecone notwithstanding. ;)

32 minutes ago, seti88 said:

Certainly spoilt for choice between HM, JC and CalWings (for their frogfoot). JC's  latest ukranian flanker scheme isnt too bad looking either, nosecone notwithstanding. ;)

Yeah, a Frogfoot would be sweet.  Shoot, along with their Fencer and a rumored Rafale in the works, CalWings are swinging for the fences.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ugh, I finally decided to splurge and pick up the Calibre Wings Wolfpack F-14.. and I worry I might be hooked on another collecting hobby. :p  I do plan on getting the Ghostriders release in the next month or so as well, but now I'm considering grabbing one of the Robotech VF-1 versions too.  Sadly, while the trays have room, they don't include all of the weapons options, and there's no release with white sparrow mounts for the wing gloves yet, it seems.  I might have to wait for more late 70s schemes, and hope they put out a classic VF-84.

Looking around at other brands, I almost want to pick up a Hobby Master CA ANG F-106, but the molding and seam lines on their design look pretty bad.