SOC Tetsujin 28

eriku

Has anyone gotten their hands on Bandai's SOC T28 yet? It looks beautiful but I typically like to read a few reviews and opinions before I decide to spend that much money. Mostly I'd like to know how well the light-up eyes gimmick turned out since I'm a little put off by things like that. I know BBTS has it in stock and my credit card is begging me to turn it's numbers over to Joel. :ph34r:

Damn, two minutes after finishing the toyboxdx review and I have a T28 on it's way to me from Twin Moons (sorry BBTS, Tam was cheaper!). If it's even half as good as the review makes it sound I'll be happy.

For those who haven't read it, here's a direct link to the thread:

http://toyboxst.inwards.com/phorum/read.php?1,107278

post-26-1097731242_thumb.jpg

Edited by eriku

he looks great i look forward to someday getting this one as well. does anyone have any pics of the Garuda one from Mazinger?

I grew up with the 80s one so I don't really care much for this Tetsujin.

Although the original does have that certain "meanness" about it...

However, I'm guessing they'll never re-release the old 80s version SOC toy. That thing was huge and packed with features.

i have never been to big on live action movies of classic anime series, G-savior anyone? i would love to have the old 1980's Godakin Tetsujin 28, it was big and very nice it goes for over 1 thousand dollars now on ebay with the box and in good condition.

Edited by zeo-mare

I received the SOC T28 two days ago and it's a really good solid toy.

I find the toy could have been bigger, i think the feet are a little small, I think he can fall easily. The paint is well done with different kind of dark blue, for display I find him very dark and he ll need some good light.

The new thing is the way the legs can move ; between the legs there s a little part which moves when the legs are too much spread :), like for the eva he can be put in many situations. Inside the box, it is made like the boss robo box, it's easy to put and remove things of the box not like the other mazinger box.

I'll send some pict later with the new mazinger angel :p

I got mine for about a week now. While I like the extra articulation they gave fatty, I dislike that they made the crotch part with plastic. The metal moving part that allowed for fatty to pose well is screwed on to nothing else but plastic. Which brings us to this one word of caution - I have sampled and compared many pieces of the same SOC Fatty and found out that his hip articulation (some on the right or left leg) are put together too tightly than it is neccessary. Some of their legs are so tight, I can't (dare not) even bring his afflicted foot forward without risking breakage.

Aside from that, I dislike how they have made his biceps too thin. My overall sentiment of this toy is just a Halfassed Okay - a Halfassed Okay, because I got choose and buy the best one out of a small stock. An Okay is given because despite all the nifty LED feature, the magnetic control box that affects it's eye color; the tight hip joint problem stood out the most - unfortunately for me. He just have to be perfect.

The best Fatty crown still goes to the SoftGarage rendition with Marmit's following closely behind.

It's funny how all of the above came to surface after Bandai stopped Previews IIRC, from selling the T28 SoftGarage and Marmit versions just about a month before they launch theirs. I have a feeling that Bandai will later on, sell an "R" version of their T28 with a metal crotch - exactly like what they did with Great Mazinger and etc... with previously plastic made parts but later on replaced with metal.

I would like SOC T28 to be TOTY, but then again, maybe not. Maybe I'm just too anal with Bandai, especially when it's MY favorite robot that they were making.

I dont think there has been a SOC release yet where someone hasn't wished it was bigger. On the contrary, I love the SOC scale. I was a little surprised at the smallness of the EVAs, but now I think it's perfect. Judging from the pics I've seen of T28, he seems to be just right. Now I just have to wait until fatty shows up!

Just got fatty in the mail! He's absoultely gorgeous! I can't find one single thing about it that I don't like. The sculpt is great, the articulation is wonderful and I love the ingenious crotch mechanism Bandai came up with for this guy, although I can see what BoB was referring to. All the joints are perfect, not too loose and not too tight...the deep multi-toned metallic blue paint is really quite fetching too. There is one thing I would change, though, which oddly enough is inspired by something else I got in the mail today....

Glico's T28 gashapon sets! If anyone hasn't checked these out, and is a T28 fan, do so NOW! These are hands down the best gashapons I've ever seen, and not just because I love T28. I actually only got 5 of the 9, but I'll probably try to pick up the rest later. There are 4 figures and 5 mini-diorama scenes that have to be seen in person to be believed.

The figures are T28, Black Ox, Monster and T28 in mummy wrap. The mini-dioramas are basically battle scenes involving T28. I got the T28, Black Ox and Monster figures and two of the sets. The T28 and Black Ox figures, while tiny, are articulated almost as well as a SOC figure! Better in some ways, which brings me back to what I would change about the SOC T28. On the gashapon T28 figure, the neck is on a sort of pivot that allows it to look left and right without sacrificing the classic look of the character. Not only that, but his whole upper neck/chest piece (the part contained by the curving line of rivets) is jointed so it can move up and down! On top of that, his midsection has an angled ball joint so he can slouch forward or lean back. Add that to cut shoulders, hinged elbows, rotating biceps, rotating wrists, RATCHETED hips, hinged knees, rotating thighs and double-jointed feet and this is one hyper-articulated gashapon! It really is incredible how poseable this guy is considering the tiny size.

Black Ox has nearly identical articulation, and Monster has a ball jointed head, rotating midsection and cut joints at the wrists, shoulders and hips. The quality of all of these is fantastic, too. Even the itty bitty 3/4 inch T28 in one of the dioramas has a spot-on perfectly detailed paintjob. Amazing.

I know it's rather cruel to hype these things up and not provide pics, but I'll have to wait until I get home before I can upload some. In a weird way I'm almost more impressed by the Gashapon sets than the SOC. Maybe it's because I wasn't expecting the gashapons to be that great.

Oh, each set comes with tasty Glico heart-shaped caramels in their own seperate and stylish T28 box. Yum! :p

Edited by eriku

On a different note, does anyone know where I could find some episodes of the Tetsujin 28 anime that was released this year? I've looked for fansubbed episodes, torrents or even raw episodes, but there isn't much of anything out there regarding the show. I'd even buy a subbed DVD if I could find one.

On a different note, does anyone know where I could find some episodes of the Tetsujin 28 anime that was released this year? I've looked for fansubbed episodes, torrents or even raw episodes, but there isn't much of anything out there regarding the show. I'd even buy a subbed DVD if I could find one.

The show has actually been licensed by Geneon, so you'll have to hit up places like Box Torrents or SuprNova.org to find the fansubs. Or just wait for the DVDs.

On a different note, does anyone know where I could find some episodes of the Tetsujin 28 anime that was released this year?  I've looked for fansubbed episodes, torrents or even raw episodes, but there isn't much of anything out there regarding the show.  I'd even buy a subbed DVD if I could find one.

The show has actually been licensed by Geneon, so you'll have to hit up places like Box Torrents or SuprNova.org to find the fansubs. Or just wait for the DVDs.

I've never been able to find any Tetsujin on Suprnova. I didn't know it was licensed by ganeon, I guess I'll just wait for the DVDs. B))

The trading figures are cool. Where is a good place to find them?

And so glad to hear that Geneon got the license of the new T-28 anime already. Man! Geneon seems to be getting a lot of the good shows I like lately, and pretty darn fast too! First Last Exile, then Gungrave, now Tetsujin 28 too! Yay! Hope I don't have to wait too long.

Speaking of the SOC T-28, I am not as lucky to get a flawless toy. The right eye was painted off centered and has a right stare, a few paint chips, very loose hip on right leg, and having one elbow bending further than the other. This really flawed my experience with this otherwise awesome Fatty toy. But I'll learn to get used to it.

The trading figures are cool. Where is a good place to find them?

And so glad to hear that Geneon got the license of the new T-28 anime already. Man! Geneon seems to be getting a lot of the good shows I like lately, and pretty darn fast too! First Last Exile, then Gungrave, now Tetsujin 28 too! Yay! Hope I don't have to wait too long.

Speaking of the SOC T-28, I am not as lucky to get a flawless toy. The right eye was painted off centered and has a right stare, a few paint chips, very loose hip on right leg, and having one elbow bending further than the other. This really flawed my experience with this otherwise awesome Fatty toy. But I'll learn to get used to it.

I got 5 of the trading figures for about $30 on Ebay, although the seller was the reputable Anime King, so it wasn't much different than buying them from an online store. I think Anime King has more of them for sale. They're a great seller and I got my package in about four days from the end of the auction.

Here's a good deal for the whole set:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...5927685667&rd=1

Sorry to hear you got a not-so-perfect Fatty. I was reading a different board where someone got a fatty with the exact same problems that you listed, so I wonder if it's a common problem for a certain part of the run. Sucks About the eye, I think that's the flaw that would bother me most.

Edited by eriku