Newbie ANSWERS thread!

A question from a newbie:

Will the 1/48 yamato stealth VF-1J with super +strike parts be reissued or is it a limited Item???

I really want this one next month, but it's a hard one to get at a decent price!!!

I don't think Yamato will re-issue anything from the 1/48 line since they have moved on to the 1/60 v2.

Quick question, trying to find out what the numbers are for the M&M Vf-1Js. Think it was 202 and 303, but who is which? I know there is a post somewhere on the boards about it, but can't seen to get it to show.

ohhh, I'm sorry...those little valkyries weren't Takatoku. They are vintage, though...there are pictures of the Convertors release here:

http://www.toyarchive.com/Convertors/Maladroids.html

and here:

http://www.toyarchive.com/Macross/Macross3InchVFFakes.html

I saw a picture once where the valkyrie actually had tail-wings..or at least, I thought so. Anybody have any info?

VenomMacbeth, you should check out the link in my sig and surf around, you should be able to find out lots about the available Macross toys although some vintage stuff isn't there. Also, if something looks like Macross it was probably made by Takatoku first and then bootlegged afterward.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I got a Q regarding shipped packages and customs...

I've started using a European address for my online orders.

Recently I ordered two items from HLJ.com, I received both, but they were inspected by customs, and I was slammed with additional charges (one package was Michel's VF-25G DX ).

Is this normal?! Can I expect all my packages to be inspected (plus additional charges) in the future?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I got a Q regarding shipped packages and customs...

Recently I ordered two items from HLJ.com, I received both, but they were inspected by customs, and I was slammed with additional charges (one package was Michel's VF-25G DX ).

Is this normal?! Can I expect all my packages to be inspected (plus additional charges) in the future?

Yea, quite likely. Most delivery services check in goods at customs themselves and Value added Tax (VAT) is charged when importing items from outside of the EU. Over certain amounts you can also expect import duties.

In my case in Argentina we have to pay VAT and import duties for toys that cost over U$S25 <_<

VAT is %21 + %25 import duties + %3/4 custom taxes and it adds to %50!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I buy from Overdrive, toy-wave or other online retailers that let me chose the declared value of my purchases B))

Whenever it's not possible I end up paying %50 of taxes and sometimes the guy at customs lets me get away with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the VF-1 Max Super Poseable Figurine (1 in 1000) from Anime Los Angeles this year as it was tossed to a friend of mine at the HG panel. What's the value on it? Because I'm seeing it on eBay for $30 so I'm just thinking of cutting the sticker that's holding the box in so I can enjoy it.

Also how do you deal with minor rips of cardboard on collectible boxes? Super glue or something? :(

Edited by Ishimaru

Those super poseables have never been worth very much, I would open it and enjoy it. Minor rips on cardboard shouldn't be repaired, you'll just make things worse.

Awesome, I'll open it up right away. And thanks for the advice. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, I have a question about shipping from Japan. I have a large order coming from HLJ and I am curious about EMS. Are they fast? Who do they partner up with in the US? USPS, UPS, Fedex? Can I track the package even after it enters the US? I used to get everything from BBTS but now I have to go directly to HLJ.

That's a very bad review, by the way. The guy hasn't read the instructions and so hasn't figured how to lock the wing assembly into place in Battroid mode, then concludes that there isn't one and it's just supposed to be all floppy.

EDIT-- If it was locked properly, the arms would NOT move along when you swing the wing up and down like he is doing in the video.

The toy is very well designed and yeah, there may be a few problems because of the level of intricacy, but I highly reccommend it.

Edited by Renato

I just noticed your post, sorry.

That's a very bad review, by the way. The guy hasn't read the instructions and so hasn't figured how to lock the wing assembly into place in Battroid mode, then concludes that there isn't one and it's just supposed to be all floppy.

EDIT-- If it was locked properly, the arms would NOT move along when you swing the wing up and down like he is doing in the video.

The toy is very well designed and yeah, there may be a few problems because of the level of intricacy, but I highly reccommend it.

Thanks, duly noted.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm I'm currently in the market for a new Macross toy with the intention to play and use as a display piece as well. I'm having a hard time deciding between these two:

Bandai 1/60 Dx Chogokin VF 25G Michael

or

Yamato 1/60 VF-1J Hikaru Ichijo with Super Parts

I'm kinda leaning toward the Vf 25G due to it sleek and futuristic look, however, the VF 1J Super Parts details is extremely great looking =.=. Soo, all the pro here on Macross forum, which one should I pick ???

Edited by rikuharada

It really depends on personal taste and preference, but I just want to put in my opinion.

The 25G looks good in some poses and angles, but sometimes I don't like it for the loosing crouch piece, floppy armor parts, short neck (not a problem to some I know, but to me they are too short to look good), and on some units they have different shade of blues.

I generally have no complaints on the 1J, it looks crispy and sweet to me. I am not too excited about the Super Parts though... The 1J is already beautiful in its plain mode.

P.S. Usually you buy both at the end. So don't think too hard.

Hmmm I'm currently in the market for a new Macross toy with the intention to play and use as a display piece as well. I'm having a hard time deciding between these two:

Bandai 1/60 Dx Chogokin VF 25G Michael

or

Yamato 1/60 VF-1J Hikaru Ichijo with Super Parts

I'm kinda leaning toward the Vf 25G due to it sleek and futuristic look, however, the VF 1J Super Parts details is extremely great looking =.=. Soo, all the pro here on Macross forum, which one should I pick ???

• 2 weeks later...

Noob here. My wife and I were both fans of Robotech, and are starting to get into Macross now too. I've read a few post on here saying not to get the MPC Valks, and I was just wondering what problems people had encountered with the MPC's. I have a couple VF-1J's (the Sterling Collection) as well as a set of Alpha's. I've never really played with the VF's, but I have had issues with one of my Alpha's that I thought was going to require me to learn welding. Anyway, just wondering. I've really have fallen for the VF-25's, even though I've yet to see any Macross-F. I also have an Eliteseeker and Ostrich coming in from an Ebay. I really don't have stands for them right now, so I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on displaying them? I think the 25's I ordered come with stands, but if they don't, suggestions would also be apprecatied.

• 4 weeks later...
Noob here. My wife and I were both fans of Robotech, and are starting to get into Macross now too. I've read a few post on here saying not to get the MPC Valks, and I was just wondering what problems people had encountered with the MPC's. I have a couple VF-1J's (the Sterling Collection) as well as a set of Alpha's. I've never really played with the VF's, but I have had issues with one of my Alpha's that I thought was going to require me to learn welding. Anyway, just wondering. I've really have fallen for the VF-25's, even though I've yet to see any Macross-F. I also have an Eliteseeker and Ostrich coming in from an Ebay. I really don't have stands for them right now, so I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on displaying them? I think the 25's I ordered come with stands, but if they don't, suggestions would also be apprecatied.

ok... first the MPC's are known for having shoddy quality control. I've got a milia 1J and a kakizaki 1A myself, the Milia is fine but the backpack and one of the shoulder hinges on the 1A broke apart. Also they just don't look as good as what yamato sells and aren't really possible. I've never owned an MPC alpha (not that much of a Maspeada fan) so I can't speak for them.

As for the other valks, some of the Frontier toys come with stands, some don't. The 1/100 scale VF-25's don't come with stands, but are designed to work with these stands http://www.hlj.com/hljlist2/?SeriesID=3709&Dis=2

the 1/60 DX's basically include stands with the super and armor parts. the Michel (blue) and Luca (green) come with super parts. the first (now mostly sold out) issue of the ozma (yellow) and Alto (red) didn't come with stands. they released stand alone super parts for both with stands. and are releasing an armored ozma with a stand and an armor set for the existing alto with a stand.

also if you ordered an E-seeker and Ostrich and they're actually shipping now (instead of pre-order) then you ordered the old (out of production) version 1's http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/toys/v.../ve-vt-main.htm

that whole line was dropped years ago. and they're going to release new updated versions over the next few months. http://www.hlj.com/product/YMT00127 http://www.hlj.com/product/YMT00126

none of the yamato VF-1's come with stands. yamato has these stands (which work with the new version 2's) http://www.hlj.com/hljlist2/?SeriesID=3983&Dis=2 but I haven't heard great reviews of them, and I have no idea if they'll work with the old version 1 VF-1's.

lots of people use these http://www.laftoys.com/index.php?cPath=15&...91f0cc6e0b34d1c

not really a newbie or a newbie question, but I can't think of a better place to post this and don't want to make a whole tread about it.

I ordered an OD Tomahawk for overdrive a couple days ago, I ended up getting 2 emails saying the item had shipped within a minute of each other. The first one said the item had shipped and had a tracking number, and the second one said "Sorry made a mistake it should have read delivered" and had a second tracking number.

Both emails linked back to my order (which has it's status listed as delivered) but there definitely tracking numbers for two different packages. one hasn't updated since the package left Japan, and other says it just left the customs office in Chicago yesterday (Makes no sense for it to be in Chicago, I live less than an hours drive from San Francisco and my stuff always comes through customs there).

My point is I have no idea what this means. I just contacted OD about this today, but was wondering if anyone has ever had something similar happen to them/ have any idea what might have happened?

I've been reading countless reviews in anticipation for my first 1/48. I've seen a lot of posts saying that to ensure that the BP8 doesn't get broken, don't push way beyond the "stopper". I'm wondering what this "stopper" on the BP8 actually looks like.

Can anyone describe it in this photo? Photo is from Wizartar's 1/48 VF-1J video, I hope it's okay for him for me to get a little shot so I can see what part is that "stopper".

snapshot20090626222745.jpg

I think you can vaguely see it in that photo right above the vernier (black half cirlcles). When you transform it to battroid or Gerwalk, don't force that nub to fold under the adjacent piece it's hinged into. It's there to stop the folding at the proper place so that the hinge above it can continue.

Wow I didn't know there was a second hinge for the backpack.

Anyway so:

The stopper is that protrusion in the hinge (yellow rectangle), then the other hinge is just above it (blue rectangle), did I get it right?

snapshot20090626222745-1.jpg

Edited by kamadoma

Alrighty. I am ordering my first Valk from Angolz. Question about the EMS shipping- it says I can state the value to avoid a customs penalty. What does that mean and how much will that cost? I assume the cost is based on the value of the item? Hence, by placing a low value on the item the customs cost would be minimal, if it gets inspected? Sorry to be a noob here but it has stopped me from pulling the trigger on the order. How do I phrase it when I place the order, "Please make value $20US?"

All advice would be great and much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

How do I phrase it when I place the order, "Please make value $20US?"

All advice would be great and much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

You could write: "I would like the declared value to be U$S20" B))

• 2 weeks later...
ok... first the MPC's are known for having shoddy quality control. I've got a milia 1J and a kakizaki 1A myself, the Milia is fine but the backpack and one of the shoulder hinges on the 1A broke apart. Also they just don't look as good as what yamato sells and aren't really possible. I've never owned an MPC alpha (not that much of a Maspeada fan) so I can't speak for them.

As for the other valks, some of the Frontier toys come with stands, some don't. The 1/100 scale VF-25's don't come with stands, but are designed to work with these stands http://www.hlj.com/hljlist2/?SeriesID=3709&Dis=2

the 1/60 DX's basically include stands with the super and armor parts. the Michel (blue) and Luca (green) come with super parts. the first (now mostly sold out) issue of the ozma (yellow) and Alto (red) didn't come with stands. they released stand alone super parts for both with stands. and are releasing an armored ozma with a stand and an armor set for the existing alto with a stand.

also if you ordered an E-seeker and Ostrich and they're actually shipping now (instead of pre-order) then you ordered the old (out of production) version 1's http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/toys/v.../ve-vt-main.htm

that whole line was dropped years ago. and they're going to release new updated versions over the next few months. http://www.hlj.com/product/YMT00127 http://www.hlj.com/product/YMT00126

none of the yamato VF-1's come with stands. yamato has these stands (which work with the new version 2's) http://www.hlj.com/hljlist2/?SeriesID=3983&Dis=2 but I haven't heard great reviews of them, and I have no idea if they'll work with the old version 1 VF-1's.

lots of people use these http://www.laftoys.com/index.php?cPath=15&...91f0cc6e0b34d1c

Thanks for the response. I'll have to get some stands from Lost and Found Toys next paycheck. I love my VF-25's, and have them displayed in my office at home. They are very sturdy, as I've had one fall from at least 3 feet, with no damage except my pride. LOL. My Eliteseeker and Ostrich must be older ones, which is fine, although I was unprepared for how differently they transform from what I'm used to (Chunky Monkeys and such). You can only imagine my surprise when the legs came off, and I had to remind myself that that is what Yamato's do. They both look good on their landing gear, which was a nice surprise.

As far as Toynami's products. They look okay. I'm not a die hard details person, but I know they have problems. Now that I've seen Yamato and Bandai's products, I won't be going back to the Robotecha stuff, for what it's worth. I really need to get one of the perfect transformation Yamato's and see how they are. Maybe this fall as I save up more money. Anyway, thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! Being a newbie and being overwhelmed by the vast amounts of valks out there I was wondering if someone can help me out with my question. I'm looking to buy a VF-1S Roy Fokker on a 1/60 scale. Which one would be the best one to buy (Yamato, Bandai, etc)? Also would I need to buy the super and strike parts separately? Thanks.

Hi! Being a newbie and being overwhelmed by the vast amounts of valks out there I was wondering if someone can help me out with my question. I'm looking to buy a VF-1S Roy Fokker on a 1/60 scale. Which one would be the best one to buy (Yamato, Bandai, etc)? Also would I need to buy the super and strike parts separately? Thanks.

Go for the Yamato 1:60 ver.2. You will not be disappointed. I think you will have to buy the Super/Strike parts separate, can't remember if their is a bundle deal on that one or not.