Newbie ANSWERS thread!

It's pure speculation, but we all hope it will be official soon :lol:

At one point Yamato wanted to include a VF-22 head with the YF-21 Fast Pack to make the conversion but that idea got dropped. Maybe it was because they didn't hold the M7 license?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

I saw some of the Taka GBP, Taka VF-1S super set, and Bandai Strike set. I was wondering were the sticker sheets on these bad boys uncut? As in the entire sticker sheet is basically one sheet with nothing precut? As a kid I have fond memories of my toys and Im pretty sure the technology existed to cut the stickers. I dont remember ever using a scissors or small razor to apply these things. If anybody could help me out that would be great. I guess with all the repolabels coming out I just want to make sure I got the real thing. Thanks in advance!

• 4 weeks later...

It's not that difficult. The rings that the gunpod strap goes into are metal-wire of a kind that you can easily bend left or right and then pack again...I just slightly unbend them, disattach the strap, and remove the rings and hey prest... you really only need the strap in Battroid mode anyways...

VFTF1

• 3 weeks later...

Noob question here :

I bought some excellent sticker sheets form a 3rd party for my Yamato 1/48 VF-1 & 1/60 YF-19. They are without a doubt superior to Yamato's stickers, but still they are beginning to peel-off. Usually on spheric surfaces. Does anyone knows of a solution to make the stickers hold firmly, especially on the Super & Strike Parts for the VF-1.

Thanks in advance.

make sure the surface is clean and dry and press out any wrinkles.

I've cleaned the surface with rubbing alcohol and waited for it to dry, then I was careful not to put my fingers on the stickers, but they are still peeling-off.

unfortunatly, stickers are not the greatest thing. No matter how careful you are, or how clean the surface is or how high the quality, they will eventually peel off. Some will go much faster than others ( I had some go over night). The glue? on the stickers just doesn't hold.

unfortunatly, stickers are not the greatest thing. No matter how careful you are, or how clean the surface is or how high the quality, they will eventually peel off. Some will go much faster than others ( I had some go over night). The glue? on the stickers just doesn't hold.

From the looks of things, no matter what I'll do, they'll just peel-off anyway? Would applying nail polish of the sticker's edge solve the problem ?

Here's a noob question. What's the easiest way to remove and reattach the gunpod strap between transformations? Or is there no easy way?

the easiest solution is to just swich gunpods around.

i have a few gunpods with the straps on, some with them off, i just give them to whoever needs in depending on the mode.

note: while all the gunpods are the same, the CF gunpod is slightly different. if you look by the ammo ejection slot, you'll notice the piece inside is brown instead of white like the rest of the gunpods. the CF ones are the onyl one you have to keep track of otherwise a gunpod is a gunpod is a gunpod.

I have takatoys stickers and never had any problem with them. If they keep peeling off then that means the dirt is already on the stickers itself, not the surface. Did you apply and unapply them because they peeled?

I have takatoys stickers and never had any problem with them. If they keep peeling off then that means the dirt is already on the stickers itself, not the surface. Did you apply and unapply them because they peeled?

Did you use your fingers to apply or a grease/oil free tweazer? The smallest amount of oil from your finger tips can really negatively affect the stickers.

You can try a THIN film of regular white glue to try and help the stickiness if the sticker is beginning to peel but it hasn't attracted any dust or other contaminants.

I have those as well. I only applied them once.

Did you use your fingers to apply or a grease/oil free tweazer? The smallest amount of oil from your finger tips can really negatively affect the stickers.

You can try a THIN film of regular white glue to try and help the stickiness if the sticker is beginning to peel but it hasn't attracted any dust or other contaminants.

I used and X-acto knife to cut and apply the stickers, I never touched them with my fingers and the x-acto blade was brand new and clean from what I could tell.

Edited by Lonewolf

• 2 weeks later...

I thought about adding to my thread I posted earlier, but this might be a good place to start.

I'm getting a 1/48 Roy Focker VF-1S and want two 1/48 TV style pilot figures (Roy and Hikaru of course!) I wonder where I might find someone who has resin castings, and how much these might run me?

I thought about adding to my thread I posted earlier, but this might be a good place to start.

I'm getting a 1/48 Roy Focker VF-1S and want two 1/48 TV style pilot figures (Roy and Hikaru of course!) I wonder where I might find someone who has resin castings, and how much these might run me?

your chance are better if you post this in the Wanted Section. :)

i think someone was selling recasts of the TV pilots a while back.

member nightmareb4macross is probably your man, try shooting him a PM.

• 1 month later...
Has Yamato released any info what so ever as to what the next 1/48 VF might be, if any ? Thanks in advance.

I dont think there's gonna be any more 1/48s. Yamato is apparently focused on the 1/60 line.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't like that weathered one they are about to release. Looks too artificial.

I either like 1/48's clean or customized to the maximum quality: paint, etc.

Here's my question:

Do Yamatos yellow? If so how long? And has anyone found a solution too this?

I don't like that weathered one they are about to release. Looks too artificial.

I either like 1/48's clean or customized to the maximum quality: paint, etc.

Here's my question:

Do Yamatos yellow? If so how long? And has anyone found a solution too this?

Yeah they yellow. How long depends on lots of factors such as total UV exposure, smoke, etc. If you keep it out of UV light then you should be safe. Someone posted some product that may prevent it last week I think. Some spray on UV protector coat. There are threads about this somewhere. Anyone?

yes, they yellow. the 1/60 vf-1 yellowed rapidly and sometimes for no apparant reason. the 1/48s seem to be more resistent.

Yellowing happens as the pigments in the plastic breakdown, either from exposure to harsh light, heat, chemicals or oxidation. there's some talk of using industrial grade plastic conditioners to protect the plastic, but once yellowing occurs the only way to get rid of it is to recondition the surface... by manually removing the offending layers.

If the plastic is of high quality, you could always encase the toy in a UV shielded, temperature and humidity controlled container filled with an inert gas.... but for most peope i'd say, keep out of direct sunlight or away from flourescent or metal halide lighting, store in a cool dry place and wash your hands before handling, or better yet, wear gloves.

Edited by eugimon

Just keep them in the box - that's what I do most of the time. All of my Macross, my Revoltech, my Yamatos, my SOCs...everything is packed up in its' nice protective boxes. Heck - even my built Gundams go back in their boxes!

I always advise people that they do NOT need to have all one billion of their figures out on display - just keep the ones you like most at the time out. I keep the ones I'm using/playing with out and rotate them once in a while.

of course - keeping them out of heavy light etc etc also helps.

But the sturdy boxes do serve a purpose and I highly rate companies which go to the trouble of providing good protective packacing that can be kept and used to store the product in.

vftf1

Just keep them in the box - that's what I do most of the time. All of my Macross, my Revoltech, my Yamatos, my SOCs...everything is packed up in its' nice protective boxes. Heck - even my built Gundams go back in their boxes!

I respect your choice to keep them in their boxes; but seriously, what's the fun in that? Keeping them stashed away... you might as well have not even bought them. As stupid as that sounds, just think, I mean, we're not gonna live forever... right? Like, think about the guys that only own 2 or 3?

Unless you plan on selling them in the future?

But, I really do see your point. Keeps them un-yellow, right? =)

Edited by fifbeat

One question: why some people called the Bandai's 1/55 as Chunky Monkey? What's the origin of that name?

Well, "Chunkey monkey" is years old. In the UK it's used as a derogative for people who are overweight.

I think Graham was the first person to coin that phrase for the 1/55s.

I respect your choice to keep them in their boxes; but seriously, what's the fun in that? Keeping them stashed away... you might as well have not even bought them. As stupid as that sounds, just think, I mean, we're not gonna live forever... right? Like, think about the guys that only own 2 or 3?

Unless you plan on selling them in the future?

But, I really do see your point. Keeps them un-yellow, right? =)

LOL! I used to do the same thing till I realized I was destroying my boxes taking them in an out. Now, when you walk into my house, the first thing you see are 3 glass shelves, one 6 ft and two 2 ft, with my entire collection displayed. I have an armored VF1J wall scroll as a backdrop. The cool thing is being able to tell people about Macross when they ask.

Edited by fhrex

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Newbie to Macross here. (Hopefully I have the right thread this time! :p ) I've watched the old Macross/Robotech series as a child and I loved it. I've recently returned to collecting and I have been really interested in revisiting some of these Macross toys. I had a Valkyrie from way back when, but now there are so many different brands and models, it's kind of hard to figure out where I want to start.

I have been collecting Revoltech for a while now and I've got all the Macross ones (Valkyries and Regult), and now I want some actual transforming ones. I'm not a completionist, or scale collector, so none of that really matters to me. I am a size person, in that I don't really like huge toys clogging up my shelves. Prefer the smaller ones (articulation is important. Not interested in buying any bricks). I've been looking at Toynami's 1/100 Max and Milia Jenius Valkyries as a good place to start. I've heard the quality is pretty decent. Along with Wave's SDF-1, although the price on that one is kind of steep (wondering if it's worth it. Can grab it off Ebay for about $100 - $110). That's what actually got me really interested again, seeing that SDF-1, which I think looks fantastic, but can't make up my mind on.

If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations, I'd love to hear it!

Cheers,

pud333 :D