VF-XS-II Uncensored & uncut

nexxstrait

Very nice... looks good in color.

Too bad it didn't make it into the animation.

Designation adjusted: http://nanashi.macrossmecha.info/resrc/cat.../vari/vfxs.html

Yeah, It's a pity. Maybe they intended to do more episodes and show it in flashbacks, who knows. The super packs look very similar to the original VF series ones, don't they?

Nice. Why do I find myself vainly wishing for more Macross II? ;) Guess I can only hope that Yamato do a VF-2SS... or maybe Bandai COULD make a 1/55 scale VF-2SS based off the models or, even better, a new detailed sculpt (like THAT will happen) or something.

• 18 years later...

Came across this when going through my DEC 1991 vol.149 issue of the monthly Bandai Making Journal and strangely it refers to this design as the VS-XS.

Both BMJ / B-Club were official Bandai publications back in the day and you'd think they get it right so is this a typo (or did Animage have the typo) or did it just change over time to conform to having a VF prefix ... anyone know?

vs-xs_valkyrie_bmj.jpg

Edited by Bobby

9 minutes ago, Bobby said:

Came across this when going through my DEC 1991 vol.149 issue of the monthly Bandai Making Journal and strangely it refers to this design as the VS-XS.

Both BMJ / B-Club were official Bandai publications back in the day and you'd think they get it right so is this a typo (or did Animage have the typo) or did it just change over time to conform to having a VF prefix ... anyone know?

vs-xs_valkyrie_bmj.jpg

Probably typo on Animage end?

Macross Mecha Manual filed that as VF-XS Valkyrie II. The text descriptions was translated from Animage magazine Vol. 161 (1991).

http://www.macross2.net/m3/macross2/vf-xs.htm

http://www.macross2.net/m3/macross2/vf-xs-super.htm

6 hours ago, Bobby said:

Came across this when going through my DEC 1991 vol.149 issue of the monthly Bandai Making Journal and strangely it refers to this design as the VS-XS.

Well, considering that the article also introduces it as "the Valkyrie from 300 years later", I'm guessing that this was bleeding news at the time of publication, and the creators of Macross II were still in the process of developing the OVA.

... is it just me, or does it only have 1 (one) head laser?

38 minutes ago, sketchley said:

Well, considering that the article also introduces it as "the Valkyrie from 300 years later", I'm guessing that this was bleeding news at the time of publication, and the creators of Macross II were still in the process of developing the OVA.

... is it just me, or does it only have 1 (one) head laser?

4 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Has two head lasers. One is pointing at the viewer. I believe..

If you guys checked the link I provided above it mentioned that:

• The VF-XS is also notable for being armed with a single head cannon and a unique gun pod.
  • It is also notable that the VF-XS head unit features a single cannon mounted upon the right side while the left side appears to mount an additional camera and/or sensor. The single cannon has lead many fans to designate the VF-XS as an A-type variable fighter, in the tradition of the single-cannon VF-1A Valkyrie.

http://www.macross2.net/m3/macross2/vf-xs/vf-xs-battroid.gif

Edited by no3Ljm

It seems possible then Animage's article in Nov '91 was during a time when the design and naming were still under development (and both did change). Since 300yrs would have passed, maybe they were debating if the prefix should change from VF to something else since a precedent had not yet been established per say. The later published Bandai Monthly Journal Dec '91 shed some light on what they'd decided (VS-XS).

If we fast forward to May of '92 once MII's officially released we see for the final design they went the conventional route of following a VF-1 (A/J/S) with a VF-2 (SS).  I can also see how one could assume the initial draft design should then be given an VF prefix, however I can't find any publication after May '92 actually calling it that.

Could it be VF-XS is an assumption then if the last known publication referencing Ohata's design calls it a VS-XS? I went through all my books (e.g. Entertainment Bible #51, B-Club's #73 & #79, Hobby Japan #9/92, MechaPress Jan/Feb '93, This is Animation Special Macross II, Bandai Monthly Journal #149, Macross II The RPG, Macross Chronicle #21 & #52, Macross II Viz Graphics Novel, and I know there's still at least one other B-Club reference) and none of them reference a VF-XS that I know of.

I guess the right question is what is the last official publication of this design and it's name? ... is it the Dec of 1991 calling it VS-XS or is it VF-XS from a later date? I'd just like to know so I can start hunting for it to add to my collection.

34 minutes ago, Bobby said:

I guess the right question is what is the last official publication of this design and it's name? ... is it the Dec of 1991 calling it VS-XS or is it VF-XS from a later date? I'd just like to know so I can start hunting for it to add to my collection.

This is just based on the credits footnote from the Macross Mecha Manual listing for VF-XS.

Animage 11 Vol. 161 (1991).

Translated information from Animage 11 Vol. 161
Images From - Animage 11, Vol. 161 (1991)
C. Wilson - Writer, Editor and Colorist

You mentioned your copy is Vol. 149, Dec 1991. Not sure what month is Vol. 161 they mentioned in the description since it says 1991 as well.

Hope @Seto Kaiba or @Mr March can chime in on the subject.

*Edit: I found this Animage 11 (dated November Heisei 3 in Japanese calendar)(1991) cover featured in the Books section of the Macross Mecha Manual where they got the information of the VF-XS from.

books-animage11vol161.jpg.e818c39fb1550d84434019e4fb1e6263.jpg

Edited by no3Ljm