1/48 VF-1S Roy returning in Dec?

bandit29

It rarely works that way in real life.

More isn't better...

It's called diminishing returns.

I rather have 10 of the best Macross toy ever made than 100 different ones.

Yeah but competition drives quality.

How does a company survive and make the best quality toys if they are not profiting by trying to expand the market and increasing the pie slice?

It wouldn't make sense to purposely prevent fans from buying the toy and letting collectors demand whatever price they wanted because that would mean less money goes to the company making them. Unless people want them to fail, and profits to be absorbed by thier competitors (imagine if you will, a macross fan deicding that if he can no longer buy a 1/48 roy1s, he then decides to buy a bandai instead?)

I don't see the negatives. If yamato were to fail to compete with bandai by meeting demand for a toy, how can they justify future risks and devlopment of newer and more advanced toys in the future? What was the best in the past is not going to be the best in the future.

The collectors should take into account the current environment and wait until interest dies down instead of expecting to cash in so early and toy companies to cater to them out of loyalty.

A good example is starwars. After the last movie is made (episode 3) do you think toy companies will keep selling the same stuff forever? Of course not, they only do that while the license is fresh and demand for toys during the merchandise blitz is high. When toy collectors stock up now, (by buying the toys cheap while they are still being mass-produced and widely available) they will reap the rewards in the future when new-generation fans envy thier collections and wish they could have been around to buy the toys during the years of the movies' release. Collectors have to be patient. Fans have to be supportive. Two different breeds imo.

Also remember that what you think of as being crap is irrelevant to a collector who knows of somebody who is willing to buy that unwanted item off you for a high price. Say you sell an unwanted crappy item for $100 to a sucker thinking you are getting a bargain. That sucker buys it, and then sells it to an even bigger sucker for twice that amount. Of course the catch is he was never a sucker to begin with. He just bought that item off you because he knew ahead of time somebody who was willing to pay more than you were selling, and wanted to make an instant profit. (by writing down a list of items and asking what they'd be willing to pay. Just "being there" at the right time allowed him to do it)

This happens with rare stuff that people sell, who are too lazy to go and find somebody willing to pay a good price for the crapper items in thier collections.

They believe that thier circle of people they hang with are the only ones who could have possibly been interested in what they had to offer, so they aren't going to bother to find a hidden market and see if the price would vary depending on the type of person they are selling to. (desperate fan, rich guy, uninformed completist, noob with money to burn etc) Price can vary dramatically if you network enough and the item is of a series that may not be commercialy successful enough to be produced in large qauntity anymore, but *critically* successful, and sort-after by specific people. It may have failed commercially for whatever reason and the percieved value has gone down but there is enough of a base for a ocllector to exploit.

Not all people realise that items are worth however much the person is willing to pay, not how much you believe they should be worth. If no one can afford it, they will spend thier money on something else. If an item isn't really rare, as opposed to being temporarily in short supply, they can't demand high prices and expect toy companies not to notice. (believing they will allow money to go straight to them, it just wouldn't make sense. Put yourself in yamato's shoes)

The secret is to think backwards and do the exact opposite that everyone else is doing and plant those seeds for tommorow, not rush for the same stuff everyone wants and then moan about the value of an item going down if you had no intention of selling them (for a reasonable price) in the first place. Take low vis as an example. You collectors need to treat it like it is worthless to make people want to sell thiers for cheap in exchange for something that you can get in abundnance. Not tell everyone on an internet forum about how sad you are about missing out. :D They will just hold onto thiers with pride and demand a good price leveraging what you just told them and using it against you. It's only worth what you make it to be or what people are willing to pay.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I believe this trend is quickly killing the macross collectors. Many people whom I talk to stop collecting because the toys don't hold value anymore and not sought after when Yamato over-releases different color scheme versions and gets huge price cuts on ebay..

These types of collectors are morons. If somone is looking to invest their money in order to turn a profit, try Wall Street.

Collecting toys for monetary gains is will make you like the Simpson's comic book guy.

"Worst Reissue ever."

Collecting toys is FUN

Collecting toys for profit - desperate

I am not talking about selling new toys (which is a valuable and profitable BUSINESS) - I am talking about these 40+ guys that have been sitting on toys for twenty years pawning them off at conventions. You think they lug their "collections" around in a Ferrarri at the end of the day?

You ever been to one of their houses- imagine John Doe's house from Seven but with toys.

There is a million better ways to make money. Buy toys because you like them, not to turn a profit and you will never be sorry or regret a purchase.

This is why I don't collect.

But what I'm saying is: why are people using star wars figures as an example of it being bad to collect the cheap items now?

Don't these guys realise the items are cheap now because companies want to milk the license for all its worth out of greed (yamato are no different) and so parents can afford to buy them? By flooding the market they ensure competitors to that license don't steal thier profits. (and so keeping the price high has no benefit to them when there is a shortage)

But when these little kids buy them and open them, and play with them and lose them and damage them, the items the collectors bought now for nothing, and kept MIB will be worth heaps when companies have finished milking the franchise and no new star wars movies are made, a time when mass producing something that has no buzz generated for it, gives no incentive to make more toys due to percieved lack of interest by the masses.

People hate looking at the big picture because they want to do exactly what everyone else is doing and get items other people say are worth heaps now. If I could go back to the time when star wars figures were really cheap for the original movies, (or even robotech stuff) I would have bought huge amounts of the things but I didn't. Why? Because I wanted to play with them, and opening them damaged them. People like me are shortsighted and colectors should be happy we are damaging and losing the toys. (but buying them cheap while they are still mass produced)

Same sort of thing here with macross stuff. Cheap prices are good for all, including the collectors. Isn't there even a thread somewhere in tv series, movies where people are tlaking about how interest in macross is dying?

I'm a collector in some ways but not for monetary reasons. I collect Macross because I'm a fan of it. Period. Same for my other hobbies including other toys.

Same here. But don't you feel special owning something that no one else has? It would be good if Limited Edition versions were kept that way to reward the diehard fans, (roy is not LE though) instead of misleading people by rereleasing them. In the long run I can see the LE label not working anymore.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Same here. But don't you feel special owning something that no one else has? It would be good if Limited Edition versions were kept that way to reward the diehard fans, (roy is not LE though) instead of misleading people by rereleasing them. In the long run I can see the LE label not working anymore.

Well there is always the Low Vis....

As a fan of Macross/Robotech, I think I am mostly intrigued by the technology and the mixture of alien life forms etc. As a kid seeing that valkyrie in Robotech reminded me of my favorite F-14A Tomcat by Grumman. I'm not sure if it's pure accident or if Shoji Kawamori was heavily influenced by the Tomcat's design, but it was very thoughtful of Kawamori to show-off the Tomcat in Macross Zero.

And in the context of collecting valkyries to make money in the future, more power to those who can afford fifty-plus yamato valkryies. But the future is a gray void. I am not knocking anybody down, but take a look at the VF-1S Takatoku gift set (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36568&item=5925848075&rd=1). Back in 1998, the piece sold for $1400 ... then came Toynami with the Masterpiece Collections ... and then came Yamato 1/48 scaled valkyries (bigger, better etc.)

Bandai will probably put out some Perfect Grade VF-1 GBP set...just as a guess, but who knows.

There are some collectors who play a big part in the consumer world, off-balancing other fans' opportunities in acquiring some figures. These are the collectors who buy numerous prints in hopes of reselling them for a profit. But what about peeps who can't afford to readily buy these valkyries ... they end up buying marked-up prices ... and are scolded for doing so ... it's not their fault.

If you really want to make money from these valkyries, go commission an artist or a company (G-System?) to create an all die-cast version ... and maybe, 100 hundred years from now, it'll be worth something in wallstreet-ebay.com? Hah. With "competition driving quality," your best bet is to modifying or make your own valkyrie.

So in the end, I'd say just stick to buying two of every valkyrie that comes out, LOL. One for the vault, and one to open....and don't hog the market by buying 40+ Low Viz valkryies!

By the way, the F-14 will be decommissioned soon and be replaced by the F-18. Also, if you guys get a chance, check out the program in KPBS about the Joint Strike Fighter selection...which pretty much is like Macross Plus (minus the love story)....Boeing's X-32 versus Lockheed Martin's X-35!

post-4-1097486631_thumb.jpg

Maybe I missed something in the last four pages of post but is HLJ the only people getting these new Roy's?? Is Kevin or anybody else getting them later and HLJ getting them first or is this just one of those times some wherehouse has a boat load they didn't know where to sell them??? :huh:

Just trying to figure out where to send my money?? :unsure:

I was one of those guys who just picked up his first 1/48 a week ago, good price $160 shipped for a Hikaru VF-1S. OK so maybe the price was a little higher but given what they have come to I thought it was good. :lol:

Maybe I missed something in the last four pages of post but is HLJ the only people getting these new Roy's?? Is Kevin or anybody else getting them later and HLJ getting them first or is this just one of those times some wherehouse has a boat load they didn't know where to sell them??? :huh:

Just trying to figure out where to send my money?? :unsure:

I was one of those guys who just picked up his first 1/48 a week ago, good price $160 shipped for a Hikaru VF-1S. OK so maybe the price was a little higher but given what they have come to I thought it was good. :lol:

You may want to check out at www.animekits.com . They are accepting pre-order for VF-1S Roy. The price plus the flat rate shipping seems to be reasonable. I already emailed to one of employee and I got replied as stated below:

Joe,

We have just confirm the VF-1S Roy will be shipping to us around late Dec. Please place your order, supply is limited.

Thank you

William

To confirm it, you may want to contact William Chen (wchen@animekits.com) or

questions@animekits.com

Also, I believe www.animekits is on SSL.

Hope it helps!! :D

You know, I actually wish they would re-release Hikaru's VF-1S. Updated pilot figure and not to mention my absolute favorite Strike Valkyrie setup.

My first Valkyrie ever was my Yamato 1/48 Hikaru VF-1S WITH FASTPACKs. :D

Yes a rerelease of Hikaru's DYRL VF-1S Strike would be sweet, since I missed it the first time around, thanks to my then gf.

Of course I married the then gf, so I probably wouldn't get it the second time around either :(

I will have them--just waiting for a confirmation from our suppliers.

-Kevin

you shouldn't have said that...now you're gonna have half of MW on your butt about 'em (including myself) :lol::lol::p

Yeah Kevin... your butt is as good as HBAR!

hmmm... that could have been ghey and I didn't even know about it.... :unsure:

I got some rumors from another board. Hope it isn't tru about the colour change (greyish tinge) to the base colour of the valk though.

I have been contacted by several of my Japanese import vendors who have confirmed the 1/48 1S will be reissued.

From what I understand, there will be some minor diffrences...

Better Paint Job

Different sculpt hands (??)

Roy TV Version Pilot

Possible Grey PVC instead of White (body of fighter) color

As soon as I hear more, I will post it here.

Re-Issue Roy will be released in December or January.

1/48 Rumor mill also posts other reissues are on the way in 2005!

I would like the TV style elbows, but not the chnage in colour.

Is it just me, or do I see absolutely no change in the base colour of the TV VF-1J to the DYRL valks? Someone confirm?

Edited by kensei

You may want to check out at www.animekits.com

That place is two hours from my house!

Yeah Kevin... your butt is as good as HBAR!

hmmm... that could have been ghey and I didn't even know about it.... 

:ph34r::ph34r:

I got some rumors from another board. Hope it isn't tru about the colour change (greyish tinge) to the base colour of the valk though.
I have been contacted by several of my Japanese import vendors who have confirmed the 1/48 1S will be reissued.

Better Paint Job

Roy TV Version Pilot

Is it just me, or do I see absolutely no change in the base colour of the TV VF-1J to the DYRL valks? Someone confirm?

Why is it Grey PVC and not Grey plastic????

:blink:

Better Paint Job

Roy TV Version Pilot

Personally, I hope its true since I prefer TV versions. I think it would be really smart on Yamato's part because not only would they get sales from people who missed out on the first two waves, but also completists who will want the TV version. Either way....I'm getting it!

i honestly don't like the darker grey color...so if it's really going to be the TV version i would assume they'd change the style of the box slightly to show that it's the TV version and not the DYRL? version...also, if it is the TV version i would also assume that the cockpit would change also (which the person neglected to list <_< ) with the figure change...at this point i feel this is all just speculation since nothing is "set in stone" because yamato hasn't given any details of their re-release of the VF-1S...while it would be likely i wouldn't get my hopes up just yet until we get confirmation from yamato

i honestly don't like the darker grey color...so if it's really going to be the TV version i would assume they'd change the style of the box slightly to show that it's the TV version and not the DYRL? version...also, if it is the TV version i would also assume that the cockpit would change also (which the person neglected to list <_< ) with the figure change...at this point i feel this is all just speculation since nothing is "set in stone" because yamato hasn't given any details of their re-release of the VF-1S...while it would be likely i wouldn't get my hopes up just yet until we get confirmation from yamato

But the person did mention something about the hands changing which would fit into the TV hands + color change theory.

But the person did mention something about the hands changing which would fit into the TV hands + color change theory.

but how do we know that they aren't really just optional DYRL hands? i mean, if yamato still listens to this forum they could just be providing optional hands included with the standard "chicken finger" hands...and as for the color change theory...i had a theory about it myself but after thinking about it, it sounded sort of stupid since it more or less invovled the 1/60 hikaru and 1/60 roy color changes which no one would really bother listening to <_<

i just don't want a TV VF-1S since i never really watched the series myself.... i've just seen the movie so it would be nice to have something from the movie vs the tv series....i know i'd appreciate the toy more that way

and like i said before...nothing's confirmed, all this is speculation at this time

Edited by Dat Pinche Haro!

Opus Posted on Oct 12 2004, 11:53 AM

So if it is the TV version could that mean seperate TV fastpacks are in the works?

I hope YAMATO would offer it in a combo, just like what they did w/ da 1/48 HIKARU 1J *keeps fingers crossed!* :D !

Edited by connor99

So if it is the TV version could that mean seperate TV fastpacks are in the works?

I don't think Yamato would release TV FP's on the account of one TV Valkyrie. True, the Hikaru J is from the TV show, but it's also possible to get it with FP's. Yamato would have a tough time selling stand-alone FP's for only 1 1/2 toys. Now, if Yamato released more TV valks....

i know i brought up the option DYRL hands but whatever happend to the hands someone on these boards were working on?

I think those were being made by Eternal_D.

I dunno if he ever finished them but they would have looked great if they were completed and recast by rohby.

And just IMHO, I think the DYRL hands are so much better than the mickey mouse hands of the tv series. I know they're classics, but I'd much rather have a set of cast DYRL hands.