Shin Seiki Gokin: 1/48 Airwolf by Aoshima

Sorry but at 27" with today's technology, it better do a damn sight more than just rotate the blades and have retractable gear to warrant $129.00.

And unless K.I.T.T. comes complete with the condescending homo voice, it's not worth crap either.

Repeat after me - 27 Centimeters, not inches...

Sorry but at 27" with today's technology, it better do a damn sight more than just rotate the blades and have retractable gear to warrant $129.00.

And unless K.I.T.T. comes complete with the condescending homo voice, it's not worth crap either.

Repeat after me - 27 Centimeters, not inches...

OK, sorry.

Well, at 11 INCHES, it should have more than some cheesy rotating rotor, and retractable landing gear. :lol:

Airwolf with nukes that glow ? Maybe its the sunburst flare countermeasure.

Yeah...it seem Hawk needs to manually aim the rockets sort of like dumb fire weapons from Wing Commander.

The cockpit doors make a hissing sound when open yet you see the smaller windows on each door.

Still loved the show anyway.

Naw, I clearly remember him deploying the missiles from an undercarriage launcher that popped out of the bottom of the copter. They weren't flares. Unless flares shoot out the front at a super high rate of speed and blow up other copters! :)

Hawk should just get the auto aim helmet like in Blue Thunder complete with the Commodore 64 graphic targetting system. :lol:

I might be remembering wrongly but didn't Airwolf's belly mounted launcher tilt to either side like a turret ?

Yup, I do remember them tilting to some degree, and at times it seemed like those missiles were drawn by hand.

From HLJ's pic, it looks like a real nice piece. And seeing how its gonna cost around $80, there's now way I can turn this down.

It was a surprise the first time I heard what a real Bell 222 sounds like. Real loud, almost like a Huey. No cool howling noise, just a low thudding noise.

Ah, yes, Airwolf's missile load...Hellfires, Mavericks, and Copperheads...which he used for air-to-air, air-to-ground, and I dimly recall him shooting down a nuclear missile once (it was in boost phase IIRC).

The problem being that neither Hellfire nor Maverick have air-to-air capability, and Copperhead isn't even a missile! (It's a laser-guided 155mm artillery round).

And I'm not even going to touch the whole helicopter-going-faster-than-Mach-1 angle...

At least Blue Thunder was mostly doable (though I can't see whisper mode being that good...or shotgun mikes located right under the main rotor picking up anything).

At least Blue Thunder was mostly doable (though I can't see whisper mode being that good...or shotgun mikes located right under the main rotor picking up anything).

Blue Thunder was a great movie. The TV series blew chunks though. And with Aoshima going to the 80's for material, it wouldn't surprise me if they did make a Blue Thunder toy.

Aoshima's Airwolf makes me glad I don't have to hunt this thing down anymore:

Old Airwolf toy

Nice avatar there, Stormrider!

• 2 months later...

ohh very nice link Max Jenius, probably because we did not know hopefully it will get made now, I also like the Aliens dropship. i wonder how big it is.

Edited by zeo-mare

• 10 months later...

Just received my Lady yesterday.

It came with detachable guns and adf pod. aka: interchangeble.

The 2 AAA batteries go into the belly, covered by the adf pod.

Mine is the limited one, so it's a 2 tone metallic black and white.

Overall, it's pretty good, although I think the price is a bit too steep.

But hey! it's the only airwolf die cast model that looks nice.

post-192-1131636793_thumb.jpg

I will post the comparison with 1/48 later when I got home.

What I find interesting is how fast the normal version is sold out at HLJ as compared to the limited one. I wonder if people opted with the normal version since they thought the limited one has those black windows. but then again, obviously those black windows are prototypes.

a bit late, but me... me... me... I remember Hardcastle and McCormik. The car was sweet, I was a kid at that point, and so my natural first thought was how do you load machine guns and rockets into that thing. Something that KITT really should've had. But KITT at least had turbo boost, which as far as I could tell didn't do much most of the time.

As for Blue Thunder, well, it you look at it closely, it was really a lot like a heavily modified Apache, but no sidewinders or hellfires or hydra rockets. But what police helicopter would ever sport a gatling gun in the first place. Although it would be funny to see those used in high speed car chases. (but of course, the second that happens, the criminal elements would obtain handheld SAMs, and all the lawyers and ACLU will whine and bitch about excessive force and police brutality) :p

To add to V4lkyri3' posts, here's my mini-review:

Its been delayed a couple of time, but this thing finally hit my porch today from HLJ. The packaging is well done, illustrating all the features of the Lady. After carefully prying the toy from its styrofoam bonds, the first impression I got was the hefty feel for something its size. The fuselage is mostly metal, and the all the interchangeable panels are plastic. The particular one I ordered is the supposedly limited edition version with a black metallic and white scheme, as opposed to the normal version, which is painted in cobalt blue. The paint job is superb; it’s all very clean with no overspray. The doors have a snug fit. As such, its difficult to get them open without the aid of a toothpick, but once I did get them open, it gives a great view of two well painted pilot figures. The only cockpit detail is a decal of panels and readouts, but it’s very hard to see. Aoshima really gave attention to external detail; there are even tiny Sunburst hatches that open on either side of the fuselage right above the boosters. As for the armaments, the machine guns and cannon, as well as the missile pod can be displayed by swapping their respective panels. Not too much detail on these, but they do the job. If one prefers not to use the sturdy stand and base Aoshima provided, the landing gear can be swung open by a slide switch at the bottom of the toy. They hold up the Lady just fine, and the wheels roll quite freely. The best feature of this thing is the rotating blades. The main rotor and stabilizer are both motorized and powered by two AAA batteries. They both rotate quite fast with a small whine from the motor inside (no, it doesn’t “howlâ€), and the switch is disguised as a round landing light. Overall, was it worth the 80 bones? Most definitely.

post-18-1131747978_thumb.jpg

At least Blue Thunder had Roy Shieder.

Pfft! Roy Schieder isn't fit to wash Borgnine's sock. Earnest Borgnine was in The Wild Bunch for pete's sake! Schieder's biggest claim to fame is narrowly avoiding being eaten by a shark. :p

Please. Scheider is a friggin LEGEND man. Borgnine is cool, don't get me wrong, but he was teamed up with JAN MICHAEL VINCENT, whose claim to fame was how being on long ocean voyages didn't make him lonely, just horny.

I would say Roy wins. Plus wasn't his archnemesis Malcom McDowall? You have to be badass to go up against him, with or without a tricked out helicopter! And he was in French Connection too.

SUCK IT! :D

208190[/snapback]

I've always thought that Malcolm McDowell ( BTW, Bloodcat u spelled it wrong. ;) ) was Teh Best Pilot in the movie. Heck he took on Blue Thunder with an OH-6D Defender :ph34r: after two F-16's could'nt shoot it down even though is uses heatseekers. :rolleyes:

Back on Topic, I've always liked Airwolf and its ability to go supersonic? :blink:

V4lkyri3: putting the airwolf side by side with the cobra really makes the former look linve an unarmed helo, instead of the most heavily armed helo of th 1980's. B)) Thanks for the nice pics, BTW. ;)

Edited by grss1982