The Nintendo DS & GBA thread

wakobi

I've loved both the DS Castlevania games. I'll be nabbing Order if Ecclesia when it's out. I really, really wish Nintendo would put out a 2D Metroid game for the DS. It's a crime that they shelved the idea.

Picked up the new DS Castlevania. JB0, you'll be pleased to hear that it's definitely one of the harder ones. I'm a little disappointed to note that it's also the most linear of the Metroidvania-style games.

WHOO!

Add that to the purchase list.

Has there been word on if the DSi has ANY upgrades besides bigger screen and "flash RAM to store downloaded games"?

And Chrono Trigger DS bothers me.

They added an ending! I HAVE to buy it now, lest my decade-old encyclopedic knowledge of the game cease to be complete!

Still need to get the PSP game that comes with SOTN on it.

You mean the Rondo of Blood remake?

Don't get it for SotN. Get it for Rondo of Blood(you get the original AND remake! How can you go wrong?).

The SotN PSPort isn't very good, from what I saw.

I've been told the standalone release on the Playstation Store is better.

Japan: not crazy about Nintendo DSi.

I found this upgrade to be worthless.

I'm going to reserve final judgment until I see what kind of downloadable stuff Nintendo releases for it, but for the most part it doesn't seem like a huge upgrade over the DS Lite. In fact, since I do have several GBA games, it's kind of an expensive downgrade.

I'm going to reserve final judgment until I see what kind of downloadable stuff Nintendo releases for it, but for the most part it doesn't seem like a huge upgrade over the DS Lite. In fact, since I do have several GBA games, it's kind of an expensive downgrade.

I'm fairly skeptical that Nintendo would issue a major revision and not take the opportunity to update it in any meaningful way.

So I'm holding out until we see some actual stats.

I figure it's got a higher clockspeed at least, and more RAM would be a highly logical update(real RAM, not the flash RAM download storage stuff). Wish Nintendo would just spit out the silly stats that they know the fanboys drool over instead of doing this whole "stats don't matter" crap.

I'm fairly skeptical that Nintendo would issue a major revision and not take the opportunity to update it in any meaningful way.

So I'm holding out until we see some actual stats.

I figure it's got a higher clockspeed at least, and more RAM would be a highly logical update(real RAM, not the flash RAM download storage stuff). Wish Nintendo would just spit out the silly stats that they know the fanboys drool over instead of doing this whole "stats don't matter" crap.

There's a rumor going around that backs up your line of thinking.

I just don't know how Nintendo's marketing this. If it's a DS that plays DS carts and downloaded crap instead of GBA games, then I'm really not interested. If it is a more powerful console that plays DS carts and its own line of DSi carts, then I might be more interested.

I don't want a whole new "line" of games. I'm not too big on my DS in recent history anyways, I don't want to have to have another lever of handheld. I'm still kinda mad it killed GBA over here in the first place.

What, you were one of those poor souls that BELIEVED the "third pillar" story was more than a loophole to save face if it turned into another Virtual Boy?

It was pretty frickin' obvious it was the new GameBoy.

Be mad about something more reasonable. Like the stupid N64 killing my SNES.

GameStop employees are so predictable.

So I wanted to get the bonus CD that came with the Castlevania - Order of Ecclesia preorder, except that I forgot to preorder it. Knowing that GS employees are notorious for giving away preorder gifts to people who don't actually preorder, I decided to try my luck and see if I could get the CD if I simply buy the game. No dice, the GS employee (male) said that the CD's were for preorders only. So two days later I had my girlfriend go to that same GS and try the same thing. She walked out with the bonus CD and said the employee didn't even hesitate when giving it to her. :p

What, you were one of those poor souls that BELIEVED the "third pillar" story was more than a loophole to save face if it turned into another Virtual Boy?

It was pretty frickin' obvious it was the new GameBoy.

Be mad about something more reasonable. Like the stupid N64 killing my SNES.

I didn't, Japan was doing it for awhile, but it died quickly over here. And like you said the DS killed the SNES's second coming.

I didn't, Japan was doing it for awhile, but it died quickly over here. And like you said the DS killed the SNES's second coming.

GBA had bad sound.

And not enough buttons.

And your choice of dark screen or uncomfortably small.

All hail the DS.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

anyone know a physical store in japan that sells like tools and stuff for the nds? I need to pick up a tri-wing screw driver and a new touch screen but I can't really order one online here yet. I looked through akibara being the electronics capital of japan but its so large that it takes like weeks to just discover everything there.

anyone know a physical store in japan that sells like tools and stuff for the nds? I need to pick up a tri-wing screw driver and a new touch screen but I can't really order one online here yet. I looked through akibara being the electronics capital of japan but its so large that it takes like weeks to just discover everything there.

While not local, you might try Think Geek if you can't find one.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/9e7d/

Edited by Zx31

They're Nintendo-specialized. It's hard enough to get it over here as it is, though I haven't bothered to mess with opening a Nintendo unit in ages. You'd really have to talk to someone in the know.

They're Nintendo-specialized. It's hard enough to get it over here as it is, though I haven't bothered to mess with opening a Nintendo unit in ages. You'd really have to talk to someone in the know.

Looks like I may have to but I guess I never know, I could like accidentally walk into one of those mom and pop stores somewhere here in japan that does this kind of stuff. Im still new to this place since I only got here like a month ago.

How different is DS Chrono Trigger to the SNES version?

Haven't played it in a while, but I did not notice too much difference. The touch screen is used to access your inventory and during battles, but you can just use the d-pad and buttons. According to one review, there are some tweaks to the translation but I did not notice anything major. Still one of the best RPGs ever, I need to get back to it. I believe I just got back to the past from the future with Robo.

Haven't played it in a while, but I did not notice too much difference. The touch screen is used to access your inventory and during battles, but you can just use the d-pad and buttons. According to one review, there are some tweaks to the translation but I did not notice anything major. Still one of the best RPGs ever, I need to get back to it. I believe I just got back to the past from the future with Robo.

I believe it's more akin to the PS1 version from the Final Fantasy Chronicles bundle. Also, the DS version includes one or two new dungeons or something like that. I... need to buy that game when I get the chance, it's such a timeless game.

Also, multiplayer Tetris DS ftw.

Edited by shiroikaze

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...