The Nintendo DS & GBA thread

wakobi

Perfectly happy with my original DS. I've played a DS lite at the store and didn't find it different enough to justify the change. It's nice, I'll give it that, but I kinda like the heft of my regular DS. I have large hands and the DS lite would pretty much dissapear in them.

But my problem is an imported one can't be exchanged. Even if there's 416 dead pixels, Nintendo of America won't do anything because it's a Japanese one. Every single import store (both US and Asia based) has a "no returns for dead pixels" disclaimer.

Nintendo has awesome customer service in my experience (they replaced my GBC due to one pixel stuck on blue), but won't work on non-US systems here, no matter how identical they may be.

Current thinking: just wait. Waited this long to get a DS, might as well keep waiting for a US-release non-white one. I don't really care what color, just so long as it's not white. Or pink.

Current guess: Next batch of US DS Lites, in time for Xmas, will be in colors to match the Wii. Thus, you can get an Xmas Wii and an Xmas DS Lite, as a matching set.

Edited by David Hingtgen

I wasn't too happy about only white being available at launch either, then it hit me. I have a 1/48 VF-1A & fast pack. Both have extra stickers... After I'm 100% positive that there are no problems, I'm going to sticker this thing up like a VF-1A.

As for the screen, it's infinately better than the original DS. It still fits fine if you have large hands, etc.

I wasn't too happy about only white being available at launch either, then it hit me. I have a 1/48 VF-1A & fast pack. Both have extra stickers... After I'm 100% positive that there are no problems, I'm going to sticker this thing up like a VF-1A.

Post pics! :)

It still fits fine if you have large hands, etc.

Yah. The DSLite is smaller, but only relatively.

The size is about the same as the original GBA.

I've mucked with the DSLite demo units, and I think this is Nintendo's first decent d-pad since the N64 and GameBoy Color.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like they're going to release an web browser/tv tuner in a few months. It'll run off both slots (with the DS slot for the software and the GBA slot for the memory). I'm sure it'll be a LOT easier to navigate than the PSP browser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfGWBuBtfcg

post-31-1151053896_thumb.jpg

here you guys go. this was talk about in pocket heaven but its pretty funny so i had to share it here.

Neo Double vid link

Its like uew boll decided to get into consols. :lol:

the pop station one is pretty funny but thats for a differnt thread.

edit: oh yah forgot the other ds related topic.

pirate ds games.

link

Edited by Zentrandude

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After owning 2 ds's in the past and giving them up due to lack of interest, ds lite just doesn't appeal to me in the least. I've seen 1 game out there right now that remotely interests me and that's the new Megaman ZX game....but that's not enough to wanna blow another 129.99 on a DS for yet another 1 game deal.

Hey Zentrandude, you seem to know what's going on. Do you know what I need to do to watch MPEG's and listen to mp3's on my DS Lite? I know there's something called a Playan released in Japan, but it's probably all in Japanese and also I don't know if it will work on a DS Lite. Any ideas?

And, those things you linked too, are those for playing MPEG and mp3?

Does anyone here play Metroid Prime Hunters? (post or PM me your friend codes)

I just got it and the "touch screen used like a mouse pad" control scheme is just perfect. (almost as good as keyboard + mouse would be on pc, except less stable) I use the thumbstrap stylus so I have my hand gripping the other side of the ds and it works very intuitively. I have the sensitivity set to max so I can spin 180 easily but the cross hair is jittery due to that.

Here are my friend codes:

Mario Kart DS:

-----------------

-----------------

Metroid Prime Hunters:

--------------------------

Animal Crossing: (yet to actually play the game, bought it ages ago and its been collecting dust :D)

For those who own MPH maybe we should organise times for some games? (all the game forums I go to all busy playing games on xbox live or World of Warcraft) Currently I am poo at it and get my ass kicked and don't like my ranking so it might be a chance to score some easy points. :)

Wifi DS sites I sometimes go to:

www.dsmeet.com

www.ds-play.com (you can use the chatrooms to organise a game in realtime - much easier to start something that way)

• 1 month later...

Did anyone pick up Starfox Command and is it good? I've been jonesn' for some shooter action for some time now.

I did, it's...ok. Nothing special. They really shouldn't have gone with the touch screen controls. The touch screen controls work...until you need to do a barrel roll, speed up, or slow down. And you have to do those often, and with some degree of precision. That gets really frustrating, when you're doing the motion for a barrel roll, and instead you just slow donw or speed up, or nothing at all happens. You also kind of have to stop steering while doing those things,, which is annoying when taking down enemy motherships, where you need to follow some beacons, then whiole still pointing your ship up into the mothership, you need to do a barrel roll at the right moment.

SNES StarFox controls would have worked just fine.

There's a lot of other stuff coming out for the DS right now, or in the near future. A lot of other stuff I'd reccomend first. Like MegaMan XZ, Phoenix Wright 2, and others.

Be prepared to get sore wrists from all the snakers and never hang around in first place until the end of the race or you will get frustrated from all the crappy power ups you are forced to take. When you unlock 150cc mode in single player you will wet your pants. :D

But I have stopped playing this for a while when I got my ds lite because the dpad seems a bit less responsive when it comes to snaking in MK. I think everyone should get metroid prime hunters. The controls in this are almost as good as a pc FPS using mouse+keyboard imo.. And the single player mode is actually a pretty solid game all on its own. In fact, I would really love it if nintendo actually released a dedicated single player metroid game for the DS with exploration like the GC games but kept the MPH controls.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

• 3 weeks later...

The browser is really slow (yeah, I know about eh no picture mode), but it is better than the PSP version interms of navigation, but with no flash support, I would not recommend it. I bet they will release a Flash enable version later down the road as many sites now uses alot of flash.

Edited by Gunbuster

I bet they will release a Flash enable version later down the road as many sites now uses alot of flash.

I'm a bit more skeptical.

The DS is a much lighter machine than the PSP. I have doubts it can render the level of Flash that's expected at a reasonable framerate.

I'm a bit more skeptical.

The DS is a much lighter machine than the PSP. I have doubts it can render the level of Flash that's expected at a reasonable framerate.

That might be true, but I’m a somewhat optimistic and believe that the main bottle neck is memory. They need to stream/store/cashing/load the flash data onto a bigger memory cart (ie. Adding more memory to the GBA cart) first before allowing it to be executed.

Of course, updated libraries and plugins wouldn’t hurt :p

That might be true, but I’m a somewhat optimistic and believe that the main bottle neck is memory. They need to stream/store/cashing/load the flash data onto a bigger memory cart (ie. Adding more memory to the GBA cart) first before allowing it to be executed.

So you're saying flash isn't supported because the DS lacks the space to download it?

That's actually a MORE severe issue than my hypothesis, as it prevents the system from supporting Flash at ALL as opposed to just supporting it really choppy.

My initials assumption was based on this

“How powerful is Opera’s DS browser? Can it display flash, or streaming audio / video footage?

The version of Opera we have been working with Nintendo on for the DS can surf the full Internet, but the initial version does not include Flash support.â€

The key word “initial versionâ€

You can read the rest of the interview here

http://www.armchairempire.com/Interviews/o...-ds-browser.htm

My initials assumption was based on this

“How powerful is Opera’s DS browser? Can it display flash, or streaming audio / video footage?

The version of Opera we have been working with Nintendo on for the DS can surf the full Internet, but the initial version does not include Flash support.â€

The key word “initial versionâ€

You can read the rest of the interview here

http://www.armchairempire.com/Interviews/o...-ds-browser.htm

Interesting.

Also interesting that they skipped the AV part of the question entirely.

I'm looking forward to the DS Opera browser, but I'm really just looking for an on-the-go web fix without shelling out for a laptop or a PDA.

But off the topic of the browser, has anyone else been watching the DS game releases recently, and those coming up? As excited as I am for the Wii and PS3, the DS is still reigning as my favourite game console.

Dragon Quest: Joker

Crystal Chronicals

Final Fantasy III

Those three games are showing particularly impressive visuals for the DS, the kind no one really expected from the handheld.

Phoenix Wright 2 and Hotel Dusk are both coming soon, so graphic adventure fans can get their fix.

Pokemon Diamond and Pearl were just released in Japan, selling over 2 million copies, and moving 500 thousand DS units off of store shelves. I was really happy to see the graphics overhaul the series is getting this time, and it looks like they're fleshing out the time of day aspects of the game.

Mega Man XZ is out, and pretty nice. Basically a continuation of the MMZ series on the GBA, it really feels like those, but lacking the levelling up aspect and the cyber elves. I'm digging the evolution of the old "beat a boss, get their weapon" aspect.

Oh, and taking a step back from the new, I picked up the Capcom Classics Mix released for the GBA. Strider, Mighty Final Fight, and most importantly, Bionic Commando. BC was my favourite NES game, it's nice to have it in portable form. Just wish they'd added a save feature.

• 1 month later...

And the DS continues to be my favourite gaming console. I picked up Final Fantasy III and Star Trek: Tactical Assault yesterday. Both are excellent so far. FF3 is gorgeous, easily one of the prettiest 3D games on the DS, and I really dig the old school gameplay with the modern graphics.

Star Trek: Tactical Assault is basically the same as the Starfleet Command games for the PC. If you liked those games, the DS version is a must. Sure, you lose some options, like the ability to change the game speed from real time to super fast, you can't names your Captain or ships, and from what I've seen so far there's no tractor beams whatsoever, but it's still a fantastic handheld version.

Looks like Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, was pushed back until December. That and Phoenix Wright 2 are the two titles I'm looking forward to the most in the next month or three.

i just picked up Mageman ZX and Nanostray both are awesome, it sucks about castlevania being pushed back but at least i have something to ply until then. I also want to pick up Sword of Mana it to looks very good.

chris

I've been playing a lot of Mario 64 lately. The game is HUGE! It doesn't explain itself very well, but I never played the N64 version and didn't know I could keep re-entering each lvl for more missions. The camera took a long time to master, andn can still be a problem. However, overall the game si fantastic. Graphics, sound, and game play are all top notch. It's easy to see why it's been in the DS top-5 for so long.

I also picked Mario vs DK 2 last week; not as impressed. The game seems a far cry from Lemmings. The idea is cute, and the animation & sound are very nice, but it doesn't really hold my attention. Most of the time I want to finish a lvl just to be rid of it.

Looks like Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, was pushed back until December. That and Phoenix Wright 2 are the two titles I'm looking forward to the most in the next month or three.

Make sure you preorder Castlevania to get that special bundle from EB/GS.

Oh just to tell you, Phoenix Wright right now has a english language option in it, my guess upon US release is that they are going to set that as the main language and japanese a option like english. I stopped by Fry's the other day and it even said it, so I give that my best recommendation, unless your in love with the manual get the game now.

Make sure you preorder Castlevania to get that special bundle from EB/GS.

Oh just to tell you, Phoenix Wright right now has a english language option in it, my guess upon US release is that they are going to set that as the main language and japanese a option like english. I stopped by Fry's the other day and it even said it, so I give that my best recommendation, unless your in love with the manual get the game now.

What bundle? I was able to find extras for RE4 and .hack//GU Vol 1 pretty easily

What bundle? I was able to find extras for RE4 and .hack//GU Vol 1 pretty easily

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin has a special pre-order package that comes with an audio CD of various classic Castlevania music, an art book, a fold out timeline poster covering the history of the series, a DS Lite stylus, and I believe a few other things as well. All for only 5 bucks more. Already have mine pre-ordered.

• 1 month later...

From Guntoa :

DS SRW W

Again from Famitsu magazine.

The game comes out for the DS platform on March 1 priced at 6090 yen. It is 90% completed. The "W" in the title stands for the double screen feature of DS and the two scenarios the game will feature.

The game will include the following series:

Gao Gai Gar

Gao Gai Gar Final

Full Metal Panic

Nadesico

Nadesico - The Prince of Darkness

Gundam Wing Endless Waltz

Gundam SEED

Gundam SEED Astray

Gundam SEED X Astray

Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade II

Detonator Orgun

Mazinkaiser

Mazinkaiser: Shitou! Ankoku Daishogun

Getter Robo G

Shin Getter Robo (original manga version)

Golion !