Where can I get Neon Genesis Evangelion?

Jawjaw

Okay, I feel like I am the only one that has not seen Neon Genesis Evangelion. It seems to come up everytime people talk about anime in general and it gets a lot of good reviews. Before I dump a lot of cash for the whole series, I want to check it out. Is there anywhere I can download quality episodes besides the p2p networks, like bittorrent or something? I've tried using a couple p2p programs but am not having any success. I don't use the p2p programs very often so I probably just don't know how to use them.

Ebay, I grabbed the whole series in an ADV Official Paul Champagne collector's box with both movies for $130.00.

Unlike most, I had avoided it for years, I never cared much for the mechs, but having seen it this past week from beginning to end, I am sorry I avoided it for so long, it really is a good story.

Okay, I feel like I am the only one that has not seen Neon Genesis Evangelion.  It seems to come up everytime people talk about anime in general and it gets a lot of good reviews.  Before I dump a lot of cash for the whole series, I want to check it out.  Is there anywhere I can download quality episodes besides the p2p networks, like bittorrent or something?  I've tried using a couple p2p programs but am not having any success.  I don't use the p2p programs very often so I probably just don't know how to use them.

Dunno if some fansub-circuits still have 'em.

On the region-0/bootleg front, the best one (FX-perfect) is totally gone off the market and the remaining MI/MAC boots have totally crap engrish from what I've read.

You're better off getting it online in official Region-1 at DigitalEyes (they have the best prices). Here's the price and ordering page for volume-1:

http://www.digitaleyes.net/Details.cfm?info=DVDEV001

They're also selling the Eva-boxset for like a hair under +ACQ-100, too.

It'll be expensive (avg +ACQ-30/per volume) if you buy it locally on retail like in Suncrap.

--treatment--

Edited by treatment

if you get it, whatever you do:

Don't do a Marathon!!!

it'll screw you up good (unless you're a Psycho :p )

I watched it from beginning to end starting Monday night, and was totally following the story up until about ep 22, then I needed a break.

But, if you do do a marathon, then watch eps 1-24 first, then take the series dvd out, and watch End of Evangelion instead, it makes much more sense that way.

if you get it, whatever you do:

Don't do a Marathon!!!

it'll screw you up good (unless you're a Psycho :p )

I did the marathon the first time I watched it. I didn't want to, but I couldn't stop. I got hardly any sleep before work the next day, and what little sleep I did get was filled with messed-up EVA dreams. I felt weirdly introspective the whole next day too, which was only amplified by my lack of sleep.

So listen to what uncle Nightbat said and don't do a marathon!. :unsure:

I ended up marathoning it out the first time I saw it. I couldn't stop. I rewatched the last 2 a few days later so they would make sense. In Kuwait while I was still in the air force, I marathoned it in our trailer twice with the guys there. They requested the second viewing. Remains tied with Macross for my favorite anime series.

One place that has the Eva box pretty cheap is DVD Planet.com, same for the movies. I recommend legit copies when they are actually available. If anything else the subs are much better than HK bootlegs, critical for complex shows like Eva. And the black box with the red highlights looks sweet.

Eventually Right Stuf will do another ADV studio sale, and with the Got Anime discount you'll be able to get it for almost 40% off. Right now a Bandai studio sale is on. Catch up on your Gundam now if you can.

Do what I did, Jawjaw. Get a Netflix mambership and rent all of them. There's a free trial and you can cancel it at anytime, so you can cancel when your done with Eva or rent all the other animes you haven't seen.

I'm barely watching Eva also and it's getting really good.

Thanks for all the help, guys. I heard about the cheap bootleg version. I don't like to support bootlegs but that price sounds good. I did investigate netflix, exo. I have to say that it's tempting. They have a ton of anime that I could watch, plus regular movies. The problem is that I would want to get the best bang for my buck and watch movies all the freakin time. I have the same problem at buffets. I eat and eat unit I can't stands no more:lol:

So is that ADV version suppose to be a good translation and not hacked up?

Why would it be hacked up? The worst they had was the overlays on a few episodes but even then they took them out.... It's ADV's most popular title. If they screwed it up, they would be the laughing stock of the business.

Actually, some of the overlays remained, hell, some of them were from the VHS release. After picking up the box set (went for the cardboard box, looked much cooler in black than the PC metal box did), I also picked up the HK set for comparisons & directors cut episodes. Definately still some differences.

BTW, anybody thinking of picking up the bootlegs, hold on a bit, rumor has it the renewal edition has been ripped finally, and still looks better than all previous incarnations.

Edited by Keith

Thanks for all the help, guys. I heard about the cheap bootleg version. I don't like to support bootlegs but that price sounds good. I did investigate netflix, exo. I have to say that it's tempting. They have a ton of anime that I could watch, plus regular movies. The problem is that I would want to get the best bang for my buck and watch movies all the freakin time. I have the same problem at buffets. I eat and eat unit I can't stands no more:lol:

I know what you mean, but after a while I calmed down and decided to watch things on my own chosen rate. The good thing is no late fees. :p Like I said, free trial. You get to watch three of the DVDs at no cost.

BTW, anybody thinking of picking up the bootlegs, hold on a bit, rumor has it the renewal edition has been ripped finally, and still looks better than all previous incarnations.

Oh. :o

Keith, when you hear more about this, please p.m me.

Why would it be hacked up? The worst they had was the overlays on a few episodes but even then they took them out.... It's ADV's most popular title. If they screwed it up, they would be the laughing stock of the business.

Since I don't know Japanese, I can't tell whether something is a good translation. There is also the question of voice talent and whether they edited anything for one reason or another. I guess hack is too strong of a word in my previous post.

Eva= Overrated good (NOT excellent or sucks) anime that you should watch for yourself to see if you like or dislike. But my advice RENT it first.

It has such groundbreaking giant robot plots things such as

1. Angsty teen pilots giant robot

2. Giant robot made by daddy

3. Giant robot fight big monster

4. Get new power ups more peoiple join as series continues on.

5. Good guy always has some way to beat bad guy, Big gun, sword, big pole, psycho mode etc.

6. (Nows here is one I always hear about) people die *cough cough* MUSASHI GETTER ROBO *Cough* *Cough*

Yeah so maybe the latter episodes Like the last 6 have different plot structure but the first dozen are really just giant robot eps.

Eva= Overrated good (NOT excellent or sucks) anime that you should watch for yourself to see if you like or dislike. But my advice RENT it first.

It has such groundbreaking giant robot plots things such as

1. Angsty teen pilots giant robot

2. Giant robot made by daddy

3. Giant robot fight big monster

4. Get new power ups more peoiple join as series continues on.

5. Good guy always has some way to beat bad guy, Big gun, sword, big pole, psycho mode etc.

6. (Nows here is one I always hear about) people die *cough cough* MUSASHI GETTER ROBO *Cough* *Cough*

Yeah so maybe the latter episodes Like the last 6 have different plot structure but the first dozen are really just giant robot eps.

From what I'v read. This series was the first to do a lot of those groundbreaking things, which are now very,very overused today. But then again I don't know how reliable the source was. I like Eva. I think it's good. A bit over hyped, like a few other anime's out there. But still good non the less.