SDF1 Art?

RedLion

If you take a careful look at it's rear, you'll see an ARMD platform carrier, thus its the movie editioned Macross.

And if I remember right that was like Kazutaka Miyatake job there who did alot of the ship and destroid designs for the series if I'm right.

That picture is actually here in the art section of MW.

Here's a link to the version in the art section, whcih is slightly larger than the one in the thread: http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/art/mcr341l.jpg

Yes, I think I can see an ARMD just barely on the port side. There are supposed to be other details that distinguish the TV and movie version of the SDF-1, but I don't know what they are.

Note that there are both Super Valkyries and Ghost fighters.

Nope...its the SDF-2 Megalord from Macross Perfect Memory. I don't know where this picture came from...but its not the movie version of the SDF-1. Even I know that.... ;)

No way... the megaroad in 2012 looked way different then that... unless this picture (wherever it's from) was just a concept sketch... but even then I'd be so suprised that it changed that much.... hmmm.

No way... the megaroad in 2012 looked way different then that... unless this picture (wherever it's from) was just a concept sketch... but even then I'd be so suprised that it changed that much.... hmmm.

Ok..

the SDF-2 Megaroad from Macross Perfect Memory looks almost nothing like the Megaroad from Flashback 2012. The one from FB 2012 was redesigned from the existing hull of the SDF-2 being built on the Moon. The ship in that sketch is NOT the SDF-1 from the Movie.

This is the sketch of the SDF-2 from MPM (thanks to Rtsurfer for hosting it)

sdf-2_ship.gif

Right--just to add to that, the SDF-2 Megalord was never completed as designed. Instead it was heavily modified after SW1 and launched as the Megaroad colonization ship.

http://macross.anime.net/mecha/united_nati...ross/index.html

http://macross.anime.net/mecha/united_nati...s/Megaroad.html

Edit: Nevertheless, I'm still not sure what, aside from the possible presence of an ARMD, distinguishes the SDF-1 TV version, the SDF-2 Megalord, and the SDF-1 movie version. I know they're different; I just don't know what details clearly set them apart so that we can (hopefully) identify this picture.

Edited by ewilen

Ok..

the SDF-2 Megaroad from Macross Perfect Memory looks almost nothing like the Megaroad from Flashback 2012. The one from FB 2012 was redesigned from the existing hull of the SDF-2 being built on the Moon. The ship in that sketch is NOT the SDF-1 from the Movie.

sdf-2_ship.gif

WAIT a minute... does that remind anyone at all of the SDF-5 Megalord project from the final instalment of Tigercat varrients? (Issue 11 of the Antarctic Press Robotech series)... I think Fred Perry ripped this off... shame on Fred, shame on him.

Right--just to add to that, the SDF-2 Megalord was never completed as designed. Instead it was heavily modified after SW1 and launched as the Megaroad colonization ship.

http://macross.anime.net/mecha/united_nati...ross/index.html

http://macross.anime.net/mecha/united_nati...s/Megaroad.html

Edit: Nevertheless, I'm still not sure what, aside from the possible presence of an ARMD, distinguishes the SDF-1 TV version, the SDF-2 Megalord, and the SDF-1 movie version. I know they're different; I just don't know what details clearly set them apart so that we can (hopefully) identify this picture.

Ah so they renamed it from Megalord to something the Japanese would pronounce exactly the same anyways?

Well, I'm not sure what the provenance is of that lineart (though I've seen it before either here or in a book). But the pictures you (A1) just posted are of the SDF-2 after it had been converted into a colony ship, from Flash Back 2012.

In other words, even though in the real world there may have been various iterations of concept drawings, it's also a fact that according to the official continuity, the SDF-2 started as a warship (apparently a somewhat-enlarged version of SDF-1), but was changed halfway through construction into a colonization ship. We had a thread discussing how big the completed Megaroad is supposed to be, with the upshot being...we don't know.

Here's a bigger version of that lineart, with additional views: http://www.geocities.com/skaar0/homelink/Megalord.jpg

Edited by ewilen

Okay, I have access to my books now...

The lineart is from Macross Perfect Memory. A similar drawing is in TIA 7. But the color picture which is the subject of this thread isn't in MPM or in TIA 3, 5, or 7.

As for Megaroad/Megalord...in MPM and TIA 7, the pictures are captioned "Megalord" in English but メガロード in Japanese. Meanwhile, in the Flash Back 2012, the pictures of the SDF-2 have the same caption in Japanese (at least as far as the name is concerned--there's other stuff in kanji that I can't read), but the billboard that Minmay looks at in one scene has "Megaroad" written on it.

The main thing I can see about the lineart which distinguishes SDF-2 from TV SDF-1 is the length of the bridge (not visible in the color drawing), the fact that SDF-2 has ARMD carriers attached (barely visible), the main engine (not visible) and the "bulge" or "blister" on the side of the cannon boom behind the black stripe. I think this does show a similarity to the color picture. But I'm not sure if the movie version SDF-1 also has a bulge there.

Edited by ewilen

I'd always wondered if Megaroad and Megalord aren't just equivalents of Linn Minmei and Lynn Minmay. In other words, there is no one true romanisation?

Well, actually, that would be more like the difference between Linn Minmei and 'Rinn' Minmei.

The general rule when translating a Japanese character for 'Ro/Lo' is to use Ro in the romanisation. For example my Japanese friend "Hiroko" is not called Hiloko in English even thought the japanese sound in her name could be translated as either lo or ro (The Japanese sound for this is a mix of r and l sounds in our language).

Therefore the convention is to use the R sound in romanisations so I would go with Megaroad as the official English translation, not Megaload (although this might be in the art books, its a common mistake of Japanese to translate Katakana into funny English or 'Japlish').

I'd always wondered if Megaroad and Megalord aren't just equivalents of Linn Minmei and Lynn Minmay.  In other words, there is no one true romanisation?

Well, actually, that would be more like the difference between Linn Minmei and 'Rinn' Minmei.

No, I am aware of the rules. I was referring to instances in the actual animation (both SDF and M7) where both have appeared. "Rinn Minmei" has never appeared, as far as I am aware.

Therefore the convention is to use the R sound in romanisations so I would go with Megaroad as the official English translation, not Megaload (although this might be in the art books, its a common mistake of Japanese to translate Katakana into funny English or 'Japlish').

Again, I am not aware of "Megaload" officially appearing, though that particular romanisation is possible from looking at the kana, as you correctly point out. However, it is "Megaroad" and "Megalord" that we are dealing with here, since both have appeared in official sources.

Granted, most of this could be explained through the "Japlish" theory, but there could be something more. Then again, maybe not, we may never know.

Would you like a Humburger, Mr. Itchy-Joe?

Okay, I think I can confirm that the color picture is indeed closest to the SDF-2, as originally designed. Here's the link to the line art of the SDF-2 again:

http://www.geocities.com/skaar0/homelink/Megalord.jpg

And here is line art and color drawings of the SDF-1, both TV and movie versions:

http://www.mahq.net/mecha/macross/sdfmacross/macross.htm

Note that in the color picture, the cannon booms have a "blister" somewhat aft of the vertical black line. The TV macross lacks this, while the DYRL version has a large blister closer to the fore of the booms. The Megalord has a blister in this location.

In the color picture, the fore end of each boom has an extension in the middle, with additional antennas coming off it. Both the TV and the DYRL SDF-1 instead have two "tooth-like" projections set widely apart on each boom. The Megalord has the central projections with antennas.

About 1/3 back from the fore-end of the Megalord, about where the superstructure begins, on the side, there is a bulge containing a twin-cannon turret, followed by a triple-cannon turret mounted outboard of it. The TV SDF-1 has a triple turret followed by a twin turret. The DYRL SDF-1 has just a twin turret. The color picture has a twin turret followed by a triple turrent, just like the Megalord line drawing. There is some distortion in spacing, but that can be chalked up to foreshortening.

So I agree with 1st Border Red Devil, and depending on your interpretation relative to the timeline, this is either concept art for the SDF-2 which was replaced when FB 2012 came out, or an accurate representation of what the SDF-2 would have looked like, if it had been completed as a warship instead of as a colonization ship.

Edited by ewilen

Possible source for the picture:

the assumption is also based on the Megaroad-01's design in Flash Back 2012, which is different from one created during the TV series production. This does not take into account that this early design was never animated and that it was the design of the SDF-2 before its design and mission role was revised as a colonization ship within the story of the first TV series. (In fact this design appears in both Macross Perfect Memory, a sourcebook to the first series, as well as The Super Dimension Fortress Macross the Movie: Do You Remember Love? Special Preview, a sourcebook to the first movie.)
(from http://www.anime.net/macross/fallacies/)

So (a) Maybe the picture is from the movie preview book, and (b) Egan seems to imply that this is indeed supposed to be an "in-story" version of the SDF-2 as originally designed.

Ok..

sdf-2_ship.gif

WAIT a minute... does that remind anyone at all of the SDF-5 Megalord project from the final instalment of Tigercat varrients? (Issue 11 of the Antarctic Press Robotech series)... I think Fred Perry ripped this off... shame on Fred, shame on him.

I don't think Fred Perry did that one.