Megaman fans, rejoice!!!

mikeszekely

Oh, one final thing... Megaman and Megaman X are not the same robot.

I know!!! Thats why I said: "never explained how Mega Man evolved to Mega Man X (not the character, but the series)"

Oh... sorry, I misunderstood you! My bad.

Yeah, I heard a rumor that the reason why we haven't got a Megaman 9 yet is because 9 will explain that gap.

The X series is actually part of the Megaman continuity. Remember Zero's flashback's in X4? And in the end of one of the arcade Megaman games (Power Battles I think), Dr. Wily mentions a new android he's working on who would be more powerful than Megaman. Bass then says something like "You mean that red robot that looks like a girl?" :lol:  The direct link between Megaman and X is still in the air though.

The flashback established the Dr. Wily existed and that he and Dr. Light had a rivalry when they were alive. It didn't establish that another Rockman lived back then, or that any of the events from the Rockman games happened around the time X and Zero were on the drawing board.

I think really the question was left unanswered. I hardly consider Power Battles an authoritative source, usually the crappier titles in a lineup will do the most damage to sensible continuity. Like I said, it's my personal theory that X is its own continuity. I just think it works better that way. As a series X dropped a lot of the campy elements from the original, and from the opening battles of X1 it told its own story, with no reliance on anything from the Rockman series, just a lot of similarities.

No theories. The Rockman Perfect Memory book tells us that X is 100 years after the original series, Zero is 100 years after that, and then (the part that I'd like to conveniently forget) Legends is 3000 years after Zero. The only Megaman series that exists in its on continuity is EXE.

The set will be split up into two collections. the first will include the first 8 games, while the second will have the "X" lineup.

And forget that Mega Drive Collection. I'll finally get to play Mega Man Chess!!!! It's supposedly featured on one of the collections. Joy :lol:

On a somber note, Capcom has pulled the plug on Read Dead Revolver for the PS2, Capcom All Stars for the arcade, and Dead Phoenix for the GC. The latest buzz is that RDR may be picked up by Rockstar Games.

Where did you hear that? I want to know if it's safe to get excited for that Megaman X collection...

It is. It was a Capcom USA announcement... those cancelation were done by Capcom Japan.

Actually, it's NOT safe to get excited yet. Yeah, I know CoJ cancelling a ton of games lately, including RDR. And I know that the Megaman Anniversary Collection was a CoA thing... remember, I started the topic. ;)

I did a little digging on the matter... the X collection was apparently mentioned in GameInformer Magazine. They said, and I quote, "To Celebrate the 15-year anniversary of Mega Man, Capcom is planning to release two anthology sets. The first to be released will feature the first eight titles in the series, while the second encompasses the Mega Man X line-up. Both sets will include extras such as Mega Man Board Game,(never before released in the states) and Mega Man Soccer."

However, CoA has NOT announced a second collection. Just the first. Until CoA says something, the X collection, Rockboard, and Megaman Soccer are all just rumors.

Still, if X7 and the first collection do well, I'd say an X collection is likely.

The set will be split up into two collections. the first will include the first 8 games, while the second will have the "X" lineup.

And forget that Mega Drive Collection. I'll finally get to play Mega Man Chess!!!! It's supposedly featured on one of the collections. Joy :lol:

On a somber note, Capcom has pulled the plug on Read Dead Revolver for the PS2, Capcom All Stars for the arcade, and Dead Phoenix for the GC. The latest buzz is that RDR may be picked up by Rockstar Games.

Where did you hear that? I want to know if it's safe to get excited for that Megaman X collection...

It is. It was a Capcom USA announcement... those cancelation were done by Capcom Japan.

Actually, it's NOT safe to get excited yet. Yeah, I know CoJ cancelling a ton of games lately, including RDR. And I know that the Megaman Anniversary Collection was a CoA thing... remember, I started the topic. ;)

I did a little digging on the matter... the X collection was apparently mentioned in GameInformer Magazine. They said, and I quote, "To Celebrate the 15-year anniversary of Mega Man, Capcom is planning to release two anthology sets. The first to be released will feature the first eight titles in the series, while the second encompasses the Mega Man X line-up. Both sets will include extras such as Mega Man Board Game,(never before released in the states) and Mega Man Soccer."

However, CoA has NOT announced a second collection. Just the first. Until CoA says something, the X collection, Rockboard, and Megaman Soccer are all just rumors.

Still, if X7 and the first collection do well, I'd say an X collection is likely.

And besides... its not like you need alot to play the japanese versions. And if its coming out on the GC.... its very easy to mod it and play import games.

hhmmmm concerning Zero are their more then one of him? I mean in X1 you see him die and they make a HUGE deal about his death and he dies. BUT then in x2 he is back but is taken apart and turned evil (well if you dont get his parts back) and if you kill him he dies again. X5 he blows himself up. And im sure he will die even more later in the series.

anyways Maybe this new character in X7 and the plot will establish more of a continuity in the series. and it BETTER NOT SUCK OR I"LL KILL CAPCOM. I mean why did they change it to 3d argghhh. <_<

Legends is 3000 years after Zero

Don't we get a clue about it in one of the endings of either X5 or 6?

Yes. I believe in the X's ending if Zero's shuttle attack fails and he goes Maverick. X says something about wanting to create a place were Reploids and humans can live in harmony... he says he'll call it Elysium. Elysium, if you'll recall, is the name of the city where the "Master" lived... where the flashback takes place... and where they kept their master computer.

Zero is Protoman MkII? I thought that was Dynamo.

I thought Dynamo was Forte MKII. :blink:

No way is Dynamo Forte/Bass, or Protoman/Blues! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to different of a personality! Protoman was always the bad ass loner, and Bass is a cocky bad ass. Dynamo is that character that wants to be bad ass, but just falls short, and then comes off as being likeable for it. He's kinda like the Megaman version of Dan, from Street Fighter.

Zero/Protoman doesn't seem to work, either. Again, slightly different personalities. Also, Protoman was a Light creation, or possibly a Light/Wily collaberation. Zero is all Wily, so...

Zero/Bass? Well, they both have that supremely confident attitude... and they can both be tempermental sometimes... but Bass seems more so. I mean, Zero gets pissed, but more often than not, he's cool and collected. Bass is prepetually pissed.

I figure it's easier to think of everyone as individuals.

hhmmmm concerning Zero are their more then one of him? I mean in X1 you see him die and they make a HUGE deal about his death and he dies. BUT then in x2 he is back but is taken apart and turned evil (well if you dont get his parts back) and if you kill him he dies again. X5 he blows himself up. And im sure he will die even more later in the series.

anyways Maybe this new character in X7 and the plot will establish more of a continuity in the series. and it BETTER NOT SUCK OR I"LL KILL CAPCOM. I mean why did they change it to 3d argghhh. <_<

Nah... I think Zero was just a plot device, but he turned out to be a fan favorite. So they brought him back. Then they killed him off again in X5, because he was stealing the spotlight. And the fans got angry, so they brought him back, but tried to gracefully write him out of the story in X6, to give him his own series. And apparently, that still wasn't good enough for fans, so they had to bring him back again for X7.

BJM... I totally understand your concerns, but don't worry too much. Magazines usually trash Megaman, but they seem really into X7. GameNow actually has an editor that's a hardcore Megaman fan, and he reported that even with the 3D segments, it plays like the Megaman we're used to. I'm pumped for it!

Zero is Protoman MkII? I thought that was Dynamo.

I thought Dynamo was Forte MKII. :blink:

No way is Dynamo Forte/Bass, or Protoman/Blues! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to different of a personality! Protoman was always the bad ass loner, and Bass is a cocky bad ass. Dynamo is that character that wants to be bad ass, but just falls short, and then comes off as being likeable for it. He's kinda like the Megaman version of Dan, from Street Fighter.

Zero/Protoman doesn't seem to work, either. Again, slightly different personalities. Also, Protoman was a Light creation, or possibly a Light/Wily collaberation. Zero is all Wily, so...

Zero/Bass? Well, they both have that supremely confident attitude... and they can both be tempermental sometimes... but Bass seems more so. I mean, Zero gets pissed, but more often than not, he's cool and collected. Bass is prepetually pissed.

I figure it's easier to think of everyone as individuals.

You never know. Perhaps they decided to play around with the personas as they didn't seem to work the first time around.

As for Protoman being a Light creation.... you never know. Maybe Zero is just a psychotic upgrade of Protoman. I mean... we never really see his true personality. Even when Sigma was trying to destroy him, Zero was acting like an out of control beserk Maverick, that could hide his personality or something. The fact that Protoman spent a long time with Willy means Willy could have probably learned how to recreate another Protoman.... maybe even improve on it. Considering we don't really know how Zero was created.... who can tell Willy probably didn't steal Zero from Light, and simply learned how to control it, unlike Protoman?

The thing is... we are not thinking of them as upgrades... we are thinking of them as new creations. Meaning everything would have to be improved. IN that point of view, the personalities of their prodecessors, could be seen as a problem. An upgrade or a supposed second improved production would clearly improve on every point, personality included.

Nah... I think Zero was just a plot device, but he turned out to be a fan favorite. So they brought him back. Then they killed him off again in X5, because he was stealing the spotlight. And the fans got angry, so they brought him back, but tried to gracefully write him out of the story in X6, to give him his own series. And apparently, that still wasn't good enough for fans, so they had to bring him back again for X7.

I don't think he was a fan favorite.... simply because it wasn't untill X4 that he got a piece of the action. His past participations on Megaman X games were either poor or too fast. he got less then 1 minute of screen time in X.... just to get killed in the end. In X2... you either fight him or you watch him destroy the impostor... thats still 10 seconds of screen time. in X3... Zero was lame.

If it was really an issue of fans.... Capcom would have made him playable in X2.

Dude Zero was one Bad@$$ in X1 I mean when you almost got killed near the beginning he just shoots ONE mid charged blast and destroys his arm *Insert the most kick@$$ music EVER* gives you a really intense lecture then leaves till the end in which he dies with really cool music playing there. I mean jeez they even had all these different mug shots off him during the conversations. Zero was the man.

While Zero semi retained his powers in X3 you never really fought bosses with him and in the new games while he may be fun to use he sucks in comparison to his SNES days. I guess he's getting to old for this gig.

I don't think he was a fan favorite.... simply because it wasn't untill X4 that he got a piece of the action. His past participations on Megaman X games were either poor or too fast. he got less then 1 minute of screen time in X.... just to get killed in the end. In X2... you either fight him or you watch him destroy the impostor... thats still 10 seconds of screen time. in X3... Zero was lame.

If it was really an issue of fans.... Capcom would have made him playable in X2.

Not quite... they used X2 to give fans the "treat" of bringing Zero back. Then he was playable in X3.

JB0- you wanted him playable in X2? I wanted him playable in X1!

Bad ass? He was a female version of X! He walked in X1, shot Vile, who X had already soften up, gave a lecture, and then died a few levels later. If he was really bad ass.... he would have freed himself and simply kicked Viles ass with a few shots, instead he decided to do something stupid and killed himself to destroy the carry armor. Thats not what I call bad-ass... thats what I call dumb-ass. In X1 he was exactly like X but red and blonde. It wasn't untill X2 that Capcom made him unique.

Bad ass characters don't get themselves caught.... they simply "do" something else while the main character goes after the bad guy.

No way is Dynamo Forte/Bass, or Protoman/Blues! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to different of a personality!

:D I know, I was just being a wise-ass.

As much as I like Zero, it was really annoying how he's always made into a sacrificial lamb. I could understand him going all kamikaze after Iris bites it, but blowing himself up three times in the past is too much. And yeah, he may not be as powerful in X4 as he was in the past games, but using his sword skills was a lot more fun than X's add-ons.

Game Informer issue 126, "The Good, Bad & Ugly" section. The two volume Mega Man Collection is mentioned in the "Loose Talk" section.

The two titles they were most hyped over were the MM Chess (Jap) and the little-known MM Soccer (Released in US but more or less overlooked by all but the hardcore MM/RM fans).

Game Informer issue 126, "The Good, Bad & Ugly" section. The two volume Mega Man Collection is mentioned in the "Loose Talk" section.

The two titles they were most hyped over were the MM Chess (Jap) and the little-known MM Soccer (Released in US but more or less overlooked by all but the hardcore MM/RM fans).

Unfortunately, GI is the only place where this second collection is mentioned. I'm not saying that it can't be true- in fact, I hope to the powers that be that it is true. But CoA hasn't officially announced it, just the first one.

Unfortunately, GI is the only place where this second collection is mentioned. I'm not saying that it can't be true- in fact, I hope to the powers that be that it is true. But CoA hasn't officially announced it, just the first one.

Its possible. I don't think CoA would leave X out. Now... if only they would include the 5 GB games too. :p

Its possible. I don't think CoA would leave X out. Now... if only they would include the 5 GB games too. :p

7, if you count Cyber Mission and Soul Eraser. Put them in a third collection with Super Adventure Rockman, Battle and Chase, and the Wily Tower mini-game from the Megadrive collection, and I think I could die a happy man.

7, if you count Cyber Mission and Soul Eraser. Put them in a third collection with Super Adventure Rockman, Battle and Chase, and the Wily Tower mini-game from the Megadrive collection, and I think I could die a happy man.

Yeah... but I always thought the GBC games were nothing but downgraded ports of the X games with shuffled bosses.

As for Adventures... wasn't it the Megaman game that gave Capcom a huge headache because one of the versions of it didn't work?

I don't remember if Capcom had any problems with Super Adventure Rockman or not... I just know that it's the only Rockman game I've never played, and the only one that I can't ever find for PlayStation on eBay.

Cyber Mission was pretty remixed, but Soul Eraser no more than the other Gameboy Megamans (save 5). All of the levels were new and you could play as Zero, which was nice. Only the bosses were remixed.

I don't remember if Capcom had any problems with Super Adventure Rockman or not... I just know that it's the only Rockman game I've never played, and the only one that I can't ever find for PlayStation on eBay.

If I remember well... it was either the Saturn version or the PSX version that had serious glitches. Capcom took most copies back and said they would rerelease the fixed game... but never got around to it.

If I remember well... it was either the Saturn version or the PSX version that had serious glitches. Capcom took most copies back and said they would rerelease the fixed game... but never got around to it.

Well hell, they can release the fixed version with a third Megaman collection! :lol:

Hmm... this thread is starting to to look like this:

Mike says something.

Abombz!! replies.

Mike replies to Abombz!!

Abombz replies to Mike.

Mike replies to Abombz!!

Abombz replies to Mike.

Mike replies to Abombz!!

Abombz replies to Mike.

Well hell, they can release the fixed version with a third Megaman collection! :lol:

Hmm... this thread is starting to to look like this:

Mike says something.

Abombz!! replies.

Mike replies to Abombz!!

Abombz replies to Mike.

Mike replies to Abombz!!

Abombz replies to Mike.

Mike replies to Abombz!!

Abombz replies to Mike.

LOL... I guess you were right.... Megaman fans are very few. :lol:

At least we are keeping it on topic. ;)

Edited by Abombz!!

No Rockman and Forte?! HULK SMASH (I'm just mad cause I don't have a PS to play it on anymore =(

Um... Rockman and Forte was a Super Famicom game. But it's not going to be in the collection, probably because Capcom wants you to buy it for the GBA.

Unless you meant you don't have a PS2, so you can't play the collection. But remember, they're making it for Gamecube too! And maybe the Cube will drop before Christmas... then you can get the Megaman Collection, a Gamecube, a GBA Player for the Gamecube, and Megaman and Bass (not the mention Megaman Zero and Megaman Zero 2). Of course, you'll still need to get a PS2 eventually to play Megaman X7, though...

Actually, I forgot that I own a GBA player myself! I'm gonna go play Megaman and Bass on the 27" and wait for the Megaman collection.