Megaman fans, rejoice!!!

mikeszekely

So Because I happened to like Legends I'm not worthy of being called a Megaman fan? Damn, you people are just as bad if not worse than some mock-otakus I've come across. :rolleyes::p

Not exactly. I didn't mean to imply that if you are a Megaman fan, you can't like Legends. Just that it seems that 90% of hardcore classic fans don't care for Legends, and a lot of Legends fans are lukewarm about the classic series. But there are definately some people that like both. Kinda like how lebhead likes both Macross and Robotech. Most of us Macross fans don't care for Robotech, but no one is dissing leb for it.

It's about time. Mikeszekely, I can assume you also wrote a lengthy letter to Capcom begging for this years back?  Best part about this is the inclusion fot he arcade games.  I have often considered buying a NG Pocket Color just for Rockman The Power Battles port on it (as recently as yesterday!).  Now I don't have to.  Now if they would only release the soundtracks stateside.

Oh, I hated hated HATED the Rockman Dash games. Moreso than Rockman and Forte (Megaman and Bass)

I've written to both Capcom of America, and then recently wrote a letter in Japanese to Capom of Japan.

While I think that Dash/Legends was pure crap, Transmission wasn't that bad. I thought it was fun, once you got into it... it's just that only classic/X/Zero really feels like Megaman to me. And while the King levels in Megaman and Bass were ridiculously hard, I LOVED the game. I even collected all of the CDs.

Actually I totally forgot about Transmissions. I didn't like it but I didn't hate it either. I dunno but Rockman and Forte felt different for me. I did like the gospel boost tho. Otherwise is felt very different from other games that were not X games. I haven't bothered getting the GBA version either.

Count a vote for Pharoah Man as fave villan. Speaking of which, while I didn't care for the Mega Man cartoon but there was an episode where Pharoah Man starred in it. IN the cartoon Megaman had an annoying habit of stopping and saying "Now, I've got your power" whenever he knocked a bad guy long enough to steal his pwers. One time he did it to Pharroah man and only got to say "Now, I've got your p.." cuz Pharoah Man got up and punched the crap out of him. :lol: It just made me enjoy the great Pharoah evn more. LOL

I dunno but Rockman and Forte felt different for me. I did like the gospel boost tho. Otherwise is felt very different from other games that were not X games. I haven't bothered getting the GBA version either.

Why did it feel different? Perhaps because most of the sprites were lifted from Megaman8? Or maybe because half of the bosses were Megaman 8? How about.... playing as Forte made the game extremely easy, while Megaman was a pain to get through? Or perhaps because Forte was basically Zero without his sword? B)

As for Transmissions.... its bland design bothered me. That... and the fact that the game was infact a port of a Wonderswam game, jumps were terribly hard to accomplish and that the bosses were far too over powered. Oh... and the boss designs weren't very brilliant... but then again... I never liked the cosplyaing look for EXE. <_<

Oh, and Abombz... MAME 0.73 or MAME32 Plus! 0.71 will both play the arcade games. Personally, I went with MAME32, and I got it to play fine with a Gravis Gamepad Pro. If you like to play old games on emulators, I'd reccomend that pad to anyone... cheap, but very comfortable and compatible.

Stop spreading lies.

The Gravis Gamepad Pro has an abysmally bad d-pad, making it near-worthless as a game controller.

Favorite boss...

TOP MAN!

Killing Wily in one hit using an utterly worthless weapon was worth everything else.

Megaman 3 has some really stupid bosses, come to think of it.

I have to agree. I had a Gravis Gamepad like three years ago and hated it! Best solution is to get a psx to PC converter...but don't get the usb one, get the parallel port one...less conflicts.

That seems backwards.

Unless you got an ultra-cheap USB adapter.

There's a wide range of USB adapters, and the really cheap ones are known to have problems(like visible lag).

Oh, and Abombz... MAME 0.73 or MAME32 Plus! 0.71 will both play the arcade games.  Personally, I went with MAME32, and I got it to play fine with a Gravis Gamepad Pro.  If you like to play old games on emulators, I'd reccomend that pad to anyone... cheap, but very comfortable and compatible.

Stop spreading lies.

The Gravis Gamepad Pro has an abysmally bad d-pad, making it near-worthless as a game controller.

Favorite boss...

TOP MAN!

Killing Wily in one hit using an utterly worthless weapon was worth everything else.

Megaman 3 has some really stupid bosses, come to think of it.

What can I say? I've been using mine for around two years, and I haven't had even a lick of trouble with it. On top of that, it's been compatible with every emulator I've used (that supported joysticks), which is more than I can say for some of the other pads I've tried.

I dunno but Rockman and Forte felt different for me. I did like the gospel boost tho. Otherwise is felt very different from other games that were not X games. I haven't bothered getting the GBA version either.

Why did it feel different? Perhaps because most of the sprites were lifted from Megaman8? Or maybe because half of the bosses were Megaman 8? How about.... playing as Forte made the game extremely easy, while Megaman was a pain to get through? Or perhaps because Forte was basically Zero without his sword? B)

As for Transmissions.... its bland design bothered me. That... and the fact that the game was infact a port of a Wonderswam game, jumps were terribly hard to accomplish and that the bosses were far too over powered. Oh... and the boss designs weren't very brilliant... but then again... I never liked the cosplyaing look for EXE. <_<

You thought it was a pain to get through as Megaman? I thought the opposite (except for that King level with the flying boss... oi). The game seemed sort of designed for Megaman, so it was no more or less challenging with him for me than any other Megaman game. Now Bass on the other hand... while his double jump allowed for a few shortcuts and the ability to be more careless about my jumps in general, without any powerups his buster was ridiculously underpowered. Still, it was fun to have the choice... although what I really want to know is when are we going to be able to play as Protoman? (The arcade games don't count!)

Yeah, I see your gripes about Transmission... except I kinda liked seeing the classic characters' remixed looks. I still prefer classic, but you know, it's kinda neat to see someone else's take on it. As for the bosses, they're only overpowered if you go in with random chips. Stand by the boss's link and just waste chips you don't need until you have some chips you know are going to be useful. (For the last few bosses, wait until you can make a Z-Cannon PA). Even then, let your custom gauge refill before going in, in case you need to make a switch. I figured that out pretty early on, and I breezed through the game.

Yeah, I see your gripes about Transmission... except I kinda liked seeing the classic characters' remixed looks. I still prefer classic, but you know, it's kinda neat to see someone else's take on it. As for the bosses, they're only overpowered if you go in with random chips. Stand by the boss's link and just waste chips you don't need until you have some chips you know are going to be useful. (For the last few bosses, wait until you can make a Z-Cannon PA). Even then, let your custom gauge refill before going in, in case you need to make a switch. I figured that out pretty early on, and I breezed through the game

I know. Thats what I did. But still... getting hit by a boss usually meant around 1/3 of your life gauge lost. Slow moving bosses were easy to handle... but the fast moving ones were tough to deal with.

As for the redesigns.... sure it is nice to see old bosses renewed.... but they all looked like ppl wearing costumes. If they were going to redesign the bosses... at least make them look like viriuses. <_<

Yeah, I see your gripes about Transmission... except I kinda liked seeing the classic characters' remixed looks. I still prefer classic, but you know, it's kinda neat to see someone else's take on it. As for the bosses, they're only overpowered if you go in with random chips. Stand by the boss's link and just waste chips you don't need until you have some chips you know are going to be useful. (For the last few bosses, wait until you can make a Z-Cannon PA). Even then, let your custom gauge refill before going in, in case you need to make a switch. I figured that out pretty early on, and I breezed through the game

I know. Thats what I did. But still... getting hit by a boss usually meant around 1/3 of your life gauge lost. Slow moving bosses were easy to handle... but the fast moving ones were tough to deal with.

As for the redesigns.... sure it is nice to see old bosses renewed.... but they all looked like ppl wearing costumes. If they were going to redesign the bosses... at least make them look like viriuses. <_<

Yeah, I guess I can see where you're coming from about that people in costumes look. Well, different strokes for different folks, I guess. Are you liking Megaman Zero any better?

Yeah, I guess I can see where you're coming from about that people in costumes look. Well, different strokes for different folks, I guess. Are you liking Megaman Zero any better?

Megaman Zero is great. I really like Zeros new look. I love how challenging the game is.

My only complaint is the rank system. <_<

Megaman Zero is great. I really like Zeros new look. I love how challenging the game is.

My only complaint is the rank system.

Megaman zero HARD???? only thing i found hard was keeping a rank above C. Unless Zero 2 is hard I have no clue what you are talking about.

As its character designs I HATE zero he doesn't look a THING like zero and his gun its like a pistol. Where's his arm gun? If this didnt have megaman on it, it could pass of as another title.

Megaman zero HARD???? only thing i found hard was keeping a rank above C. Unless Zero 2 is hard I have no clue what you are talking about.

As its character designs I HATE zero he doesn't look a THING like zero and his gun its like a pistol. Where's his arm gun? If this didnt have megaman on it, it could pass of as another title.

Its called technology I guess. Its been a while since X.

And yes... the game was challenging. Its regarded as one of the most challenging games this generation.

The only thing I can complain about.... is how the game never tells you what happened to Zero for him to change so much. And considering Capcom never explained how Mega Man evolved to Mega Man X (not the character, but the series) I doubt we will ever know.

The set will be split up into two collections. the first will include the first 8 games, while the second will have the "X" lineup.

And forget that Mega Drive Collection. I'll finally get to play Mega Man Chess!!!! It's supposedly featured on one of the collections. Joy :lol:

On a somber note, Capcom has pulled the plug on Read Dead Revolver for the PS2, Capcom All Stars for the arcade, and Dead Phoenix for the GC. The latest buzz is that RDR may be picked up by Rockstar Games.

And yes... the game was challenging. Its regarded as one of the most challenging games this generation.

The only thing I can complain about.... is how the game never tells you what happened to Zero for him to change so much. And considering Capcom never explained how Mega Man evolved to Mega Man X (not the character, but the series) I doubt we will ever know.

The game never explains why Zero looks different because, technically, he's not supposed to be different. It's sorta like how the Gundams in Endless Waltz are actually supposed to be the same as the ones at the end of the Gundam W TV series. That didn't quite work for me, though, so I rationalized it like this... Zero was damaged somehow (hell, you can see that much even in the game). When the Cyber Elf revived him, she repaired him with modern technology, hence the new look.

Yeah, at first I wasn't down with the pistol thing either, but given time, I've grown to love Zero's new look. I also love the other character designs in the series, and the direction the story is taking. If it wasn't for the fact that I played the Japanese version of Rockman Zero 2 already, I'd probably be looking forward to the US release more than Megaman X7.

As for the difficulty, if you collect, feed, and use the cyber elves, and take the time to power up your weapons, the game is easy. If you want a good rank, though, you can't use the cyber elves, and the game is hard as hell. So, I agree, the rank system is stupid. Wanna know my rank? I got an F... I collected over time all of the cyber elves, and I used all of the useful ones.

Megaman Zero 2, if you haven't played it, is much harder. The simple reason is that the useful elves are harder to find, and harder to live long enough to find. The rank system is still there, but otherwise, Zero 2 improves on the first one in many ways. The story is a little more advanced, there's a new style system and a new EX system that adds more depth, the mugshot stage select screen is back, and they got rid of the useless Triple Rod, and replaced it with the much more useful Chain Rod.

Oh, one final thing... Megaman and Megaman X are not the same robot.

The set will be split up into two collections. the first will include the first 8 games, while the second will have the "X" lineup.

And forget that Mega Drive Collection. I'll finally get to play Mega Man Chess!!!! It's supposedly featured on one of the collections. Joy :lol:

On a somber note, Capcom has pulled the plug on Read Dead Revolver for the PS2, Capcom All Stars for the arcade, and Dead Phoenix for the GC. The latest buzz is that RDR may be picked up by Rockstar Games.

Where did you hear that? I want to know if it's safe to get excited for that Megaman X collection...

Where did you hear that? I want to know if it's safe to get excited for that Megaman X collection...

It is. It was a Capcom USA announcement... those cancelation were done by Capcom Japan.

My personal theories regarding Rockman vs. X and Zero vs. GBA Zero:

First, I think the X series is more a retelling of the Rockman story than a sequel. Like Gundam X compared to Gundam - you have a lot of the same events and characters who went through a lot of the same things as in the original Gundam (such as the original pilot of the Gundam X, who was essentially a burnt-out version of Amuro), and of course a new rendition of the Gundam itself - but it's really its own show. I think Rockman X is like that. Dr. Light, Wily, Rock, they all show up in one form or another, even the original bosses (Cutsman->Boomer Kawanger, Ice Man -> Chill Penguin, etc.) could be said to have shown up early on in the series - but everything's given a new interpretation.

If you want to consider GBA Zero to be part of the continuity with the X series (which is tough in light of X7), my personal favorite theory is this: the beginning of Rockman Zero was meant to pick up from the end of X5, not X6. At the end of X5, Zero was blown in half and lost, presumed dead. Then at the start of Rockman Zero, the upper half of Zero is found, in some kind of suspended animation - he's reconstructed by the cyber-elf and given one of the handguns carried by the resistance fighters, hence the new look. I think it fits together really well that way - plus X had the Z saber at the end of X5 (which he did in X6, too - meaning that Zero had to have a different saber in that game). This is why I think the events of X5 were meant to be the lead-in to Rockman Zero. But then they made X6 (cheesy recycled crap that it is), Zero shows up and says "Oh, I didn't actually die that time.", and they had to come up with a new excuse to lead in to the GBA games - but meanwhile the original lead-in is still visible in the GBA game.

I do think GBA Zero was a cakewalk compared to the old X games... But it's a fantastic game. I think discarding some of the elements of the original games (like the 8-boss/8-weapon system, which never really fit Zero too well) was a great move.

The X series is actually part of the Megaman continuity. Remember Zero's flashback's in X4? And in the end of one of the arcade Megaman games (Power Battles I think), Dr. Wily mentions a new android he's working on who would be more powerful than Megaman. Bass then says something like "You mean that red robot that looks like a girl?" :lol: The direct link between Megaman and X is still in the air though.

Yeah X4 made all the X and Megaman series connect. Basically waht I got from it was Dr. Wily made zero Zero went psycho killed or maybe not alot of the old characters Dr. Light made X sealed him away until he was revived.

While my take on the zero seriues is that maybe they are just a dream for zero or maybe X7 will set them up.

Yeah X4 made all the X and Megaman series connect. Basically waht I got from it was Dr. Wily made zero Zero went psycho killed or maybe not alot of the old characters Dr. Light made X sealed him away until he was revived.

Sure... but what made Zero stop killing?

And how did the world change so much?

Edited by Abombz!!

Well near the end it shows Sigma about to fight zero I assume then Zero gave him the virus and became the zero we kbnow and love and sigma became a psycho.

Wow megaman has a really deep plot.

Yeah... but it sounded like Zero was in a capsule similar to X when he was found by doctor Cain.

I mean... maybe Megaman had a final fight with Zero.... Megaman was killed and Zero was badly damaged, so Willy had to put him back in a capsule for him to regenerate or something. When he woke up.... Sigma fought him.

And what about Dynamo? Is he really a upgraded Forte? :blink:

The X series is actually part of the Megaman continuity. Remember Zero's flashback's in X4? And in the end of one of the arcade Megaman games (Power Battles I think), Dr. Wily mentions a new android he's working on who would be more powerful than Megaman. Bass then says something like "You mean that red robot that looks like a girl?" :lol: The direct link between Megaman and X is still in the air though.

The flashback established the Dr. Wily existed and that he and Dr. Light had a rivalry when they were alive. It didn't establish that another Rockman lived back then, or that any of the events from the Rockman games happened around the time X and Zero were on the drawing board.

I think really the question was left unanswered. I hardly consider Power Battles an authoritative source, usually the crappier titles in a lineup will do the most damage to sensible continuity. Like I said, it's my personal theory that X is its own continuity. I just think it works better that way. As a series X dropped a lot of the campy elements from the original, and from the opening battles of X1 it told its own story, with no reliance on anything from the Rockman series, just a lot of similarities.

After his fight with Sigma, Zero got a makeover from Dr. Cain which blocked memories of his true purpose. He then becomes an ally in hunting Mavericks, but he still gets an occasional headache once in a while.

How did the world change so much? What happened to Roll, Rush, Protoman and the rest of the crew? Who knows, Capcom was never clear on those things. Maybe the manga tells more than the games do. :huh:

I think really the question was left unanswered. I hardly consider Power Battles an authoritative source, usually the crappier titles in a lineup will do the most damage to sensible continuity.

“Sensible” continuity in a Capcom game? :lol: Oh well, just because a game is deemed crappy it doesn’t mean the story elements it has to offer should be discredited.

Zero is Protoman MkII? I thought that was Dynamo. ;)