Eva-sentinels???

lord_breetai

Issue four of Marvel Comic's new title Mystique, a comic centered around a shap-shifting ex-terrorist who is unwillingly forced to work as a covert agent for telepath Professor Xavier, unveils a new design for the mutant hunting robots called Sentinels. Fans of Gainix Studio's Shin Seiki Evangelion might recognize the design as being heavily influenced by Asuka Soryu Langly's Evangelion Unit 02.

post-26-1063409617_thumb.jpg

The eva-ripoff in Burn Up Excess looked better than that POS.

That's incredibly brazen! And it has happened before, even on more respected works. While I thoroughly enjoyed the story and gorgeous painted artwork in KINGDOM COME, a friend pointed out that the so-called Bat-Sentinels were actually based on the Griffon from Patlabor...

I don't even care if it's a coy 'nod' to something they like, it's a complete copy of someone else's design and truly shows a lack of creativity. Booo.

On the other hand, how many Marvel fans that aren't familiar with NGE or anime in general do you think will see an Eva unit at some point and think it's a rip-off of Marvel's "sentinel"? :rolleyes:

So what? Anyone here seen Burn up W? There was a robot in that series that was a clear rip off from EVA01... and I didn't see any one complain about it. <_<

Another example is Hanaukyo Maids. In episode 2, Ikuyo, the inventor maid (clumsy girls wearing glasses is such an anime stereotype), mentions that she's an anime fan and talks about a giant robot battling evil "Angels" (complete with a silhouette of EVA-01 in the background).

Its not that fact that its a rip off, its the fact that its hokey marvel doing it. We'll just have to wait for some comic book guy to complain the EVA copied the sentinel.

I don't mind anime's doing it cuz hey they all screw around like that all the time.

Check out this online review of the comic.

http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/revi...34021036268.htm

The artist's name is Jorge Lucas. Interesting points from the review about the artwork,

"his Sentinel designs are a little strange. Sure, they look great, but I was under the impression that these were supposed to be older versions of the giant robots and these have a futuristic look to them."

Maybe the reviewer had not seen Eva before, or was aware that the artist/colourist totally copied the original designs from elsewhere.

no on will sue anyone in this case.

if original desings and concepts where required for any title, many of the manga andcomcis we enjoy today would never exist.

so what if it looks the same. my stand on originality is that it;s good if it;s there but otherwise as long as it;s excecuted well I wil watch/ read and enjoy it.

While I thoroughly enjoyed the story and gorgeous painted artwork in KINGDOM COME, a friend pointed out that the so-called Bat-Sentinels were actually based on the Griffon from Patlabor...

One of the bad-guy heros early in the Kingdom Come story looks exactly like the Hygog from Gundam 0080. Apparently, Alex Ross, painter of Kingdom Come, has a large toy collection, so he must have a few Gundams and Patlabors in that collection which he used as reference. It's no suprise, since anyone can tell he uses a LOT of real life reference on his work.

It sad the artist chose Asuka's Eva to make a quick Sentinel. Having worked in comics, part of the fun of doing them is coming up with original designs for characters. The super-advanced Sentinel Nimrod was a lot cooler looking and original than this one.

If they were going to rip EVA off, they may as well have made it look better. That "Sentinal" just hurts my retinas. :blink:

Marvel is more bold then usual in this series in other ways as well. They mention Gameboy Advance, Super Mario, George W. Bush by name, and Mystique actually takes the form of Castro in the comic. It dosn't go for the altered names and logos that we usually see in both comics and anime... and that makes it more realistic.

Marvel has often made nod's to other shows, by including them as toys or posters or whatever... But this is the first time I've ever seen this... However I find it highly amusing and I laughed the first time I saw it.

The actual comic is quite good though, here is a run-down on the first 5 issues:

**SPOILERS for Mystique 1-5**

1) Essentially it opens up with Mystique trying to capture this high tech gizmo that can track her anywhere on the planet no matter what form she takes. Meanwhile a secret agent in the employ of Proffesor X is taken out by a mutant arm's dealer named Steinbeck. Mystique ends up a prisoner of the U.S. and sentenced to immidiate execution, just as Proffesor X, decides to use her as a replacement operative.

2-3)Proffesor X disquises himself as Mageneto and frees Mystique from her imprisonment. He informs her that Steinbeck as sold two soviet era Sentinel's to Castro... and that while Castro only intends to use them as a deterent in case a mutant gets out of hand, there are others in the military who plan to use them for a pree-emptive strike on the mutant population. Mystique is find and destroy the Sentinels making it look like the work of a Human Cuban. The pay-off for Mystique is, that Forge has created a device that will jam the Mystique tracker... as long as Mystique behaves the device will remain on. Mystique goes to Cuba and the mission starts.

4-5)Mystique arrives in Cuba, and manages to infiltrate the army... however a bunch of humans calling themselves "Humans for Gentic Equality" make their own move, and interfere with Mystique's mission... Mystique tries to find the remot control for the Sentinel's and jam it, she finds out however that a young mutant girl with the power to control machines is being used in-place of the computer... and the girl tell's Mystique that the only way to stop the machines is to shoot her... And then we are left wondering what will happen next...

Man, I feel that Marvel has stooped to the lowest level now by doing this. That is so weak. Marvel used to be all original stuff, and people copy their stuff. But now they end up copying other people's stuff. That's just so weak sauce. I guess that's another reason why I got out of collecting comics. <_

So what? Anyone here seen Burn up W? There was a robot in that series that was a clear rip off from EVA01... and I didn't see any one complain about it. <_<

Burn Up delibarately made fun of Eva-01 as a parody, like many other shows. At least it was tastefully done there.

Marvel's ripoff wasn't even intended as a parody, just a straight up ripoff, from an artist who could't think up something creative. Next they'll chop up a Phycho Gundam or something.

Edited by Anubis

for the people who don't know:

Parody is basicly when someone immitates an original work as either a tribute or mock. generally the viewer is expected to know about the original.

Plagiarism is when you use someone else's idea and try to pass it off as your own, basicly hopeing the viewer won't realize it (since it is illegal)

i'll let you guys decide what this is.