Model kit scale, why in 1/72, 1/48 etc...

Valk009

Just a thought which came across my mind. Why do most model kits come in the scale of 1/72, 1/48 etc... Would it not be better to make them like in 1/50 instead of 1/48 or say 1/70 instead of 1/72 :huh:

Anyone, whoc might be able to shed some lights or thought ;)

:)

Hmm maybe because 1/48: 1 inch = 4 feet, 1/72: 1 inch = ft, etc... This probably comes from most early models being made of the US and English market. Later on when model kite became more popular in the east you started getting the smaller scales, the 1:100 and 1:200, etc... Prior to that only model ships would have metric scales in the US. After that it has just become tradition, besides they are great scales, and there is no reason to change until everyone goes metric.

I am going to make some educated guesses as to reason for the scales.

1/72 is kind of easy. It translates into 1 scale inch is equal to 72

actual inches, and I will assume 72" was chosen as the average height

of a man (72 inches = 6 feet). As for 1/48 scale, 1/4 inch = 1 foot

(hence the reason it is often called quarter scale by the old timers in my

modeling club ;) ). I suppose it was originally chosen as a nice, easy division.

AZRhino

Edited by azrhino

Not divisionas much as redefining the marks on a ruler.

Metric scales are usually nice round numbers.

You want to know about a strange scale? Just ask how HO is based off of a horses ass. Really.

I assume you mean because HO is based on the original British railroad gauges that were based on the width of roman chariots, two horse widths.

Interesting discusion. As far as I remember the original scale models were not for modellers :p but for military training and they represent the size of the real thing when sighted from a certain distance when holding the model with your arm fully extended. Be aware that I'm not 100% sure about this.