Galaxy Railways licensed!

Keith

Accoridng to AOD, Galaxy Railways has been officially licensed. This of course is good news, as anything that maintains interest in Matsumoto raises the chances that we may someday get Harlock or Galaxy Express TV.

Bad news, it's not set for release until late next year.

Worse news...it's been licensed by Funimation, so it will likely be 1 episode per disc & span an immensly long release cycle (bastards!) :)

If you know who Leiji Matsumoto is, that should be an answer in itself.

However if you don't. Matsumoto is one of the Legends of anime, who created such shows as Space Pirate Captain Herlock, Galaxy Express 999, and Space Battleship Yamato (edited into Starblazers in America). The man combines a unique, instantly recognizable art style with strong themes and larger than life characters.

Galaxy Railways is a recent show (past couple years) set in the Matsumoto universe, following the life of a young recruit into the Galaxy Railways defense force. Well done animation, and classic Matsumoto characters and storytelling.

Simply put, one of the best anime series to debut in the past several years.

Bad news, it's not set for release until late next year.

Worse news...it's been licensed by Funimation, so it will likely be 1 episode per disc & span an immensly long release cycle (bastards!) :)

In the same announcement they said they've reconsidered and have raised the episode per disk count on Fullmetal Alchemist to 4 per disc (13 discs total), so they are finally taking fan feedback that people really don't like low disc counts that much.

Lousy timing on the licensing since I'd only just grabbed the first episode. I liked what I saw though, dispite the whole trains in space thing and Matsumoto recycling 30 year old character designs yet again.

Makes me wish the Yamato situation wasn't so messy, a remake or addition to that series with art at the level of Galaxy Railways would have been great.

Edited by Panon

That's not recycling designs, that's just his style. And I wouldn't have it any other way. As for Great Galaxy Yamato, what's been released so far are the online sale only OVA episodes. The TV series (whenever it comes about) will most likely match the level of animation that's in his recent works (Endless Odyssey & Galaxy Railways).

And if you don't like trains in space, then you have no soul!

BTW, has everyone checked out Interstella 5555? I'm not much of a daft punk fan, but that was an awesome little movie.

Hah,

Queen Millenium and Space Pirate Captain Herlock are both licenced by...(sinister music)...Harmony Gold. And yes, they did the Robotech treatment and put both series together to form one story line. I saw this tv series back in 1985/1986 while in college in Santa Cruz, CA. Strange thing is that it was not shown in Los Angeles, meaning that very few and small markets got to see it (another strange thing was that Santa Cruz never got Robotech, at least not when I was there in the late 80s).

F.

P.S. I know this will probably start an argument, do they still have the licence etc. but being that it is Harmony Gold and they acquired the licence at the same time as Macross, they probably have the same kind of (we own everything, forever) contract.

Wasn't that the Herlock movie 'Arcadia of My Youth' that was combined with Queen Millenium footage to make some craptacular Clash of the Bionoids style release? The uncut Arcadia movie is available on DVD from AnimEigo, and is one of the best DVDs in my collection.

HG no longer holds the license to Harlock or Queen Millenium. They let those go a long time ago along with Megazone 23. As for Arcadia, it was mixed in with one of the TV series in Europe I believe, but that too is long since expired.

I would love to see a company like Pioneer or AnimEigo release the original Herlock tv series. I've only seen the first 5 episodes or so fansubbed on VHS, ages ago.

That reminds me that I need to get the rest of the Harlock TV fansubs. Great series.

Edited by JELEINEN