Diecast Vs Plastic

GobotFool

41 members have voted

1. 1. Diecast Vs Plastic

• Plastic sucks!!!!
    • Diecast sucks!
    • Both are good when used right
    • oh and rubber materials suck, but we already knew that ;)

When I take a look at the 20th Anniversary Prime I think it's a good mix of diecast and plastic. As long as someone takes the time and make the right decision's into their work anything can look beautiful. B)

Yeah, they both have their place. It's simply a question of price vs. quality. I love my SOC evangelions, but I had to pay 4 or 5 times as much as I did for the plastic kaiyodo ones...

I say each has its use. The problem with the discussions on the Transformers forums are the snap judgements. It really irritates me when I have to read posts like "Hasbro ruined 20th anniversary Prime with diecast, I'm boycotting it!" It's so obsessively fanboyish. That's why I refrain from posting on those sites. The whole issue seems moot to me anyway. The polls for the annivesary figure suggested the majority wanted diecast so that's what we're getting.

Both have their applications. I'm generally not a big fan of diecast in toys as they have all those "paint chip" issues. Every diecast toy I had as a child looked like it got raked with a few bursts from a trench gun due to all the chips in the paint... then again that was the '70s back when all toys where like that.

I have always wondered why some high dollar toys have not experimented with forged aluminum.

while i have a lot of plastic toys and relatively few diecast toys, i have been growing rapidly disenfranchized with my plasticy toys. many, many of my toys would be so much better if they just had a bit of metal in them. given the choice i will so choose metal over plastic. plastic may not exactly suck, it just needs metal to keep it from falling apart. i have succombed to the chogolust.

too bad i already emptied my wallet on the plastic toys. doh. :(:angry: <_<

When I take a look at the 20th Anniversary Prime I think it's a good mix of diecast and plastic. As long as someone takes the time and make the right decision's into their work anything can look beautiful. B)

Ditto! :D

Having dragged my old Transformers out recently, I have to say one thing...

I resent plastic.

When I was a kid, a toy could double as a weapon in a pinch. Just run up and bash someone in the head with a nice chunk of Yellow Lion.

Plastic took over completely from die-cast and the end result is modern toys fail during normal usage. And you can just forget throwing them at someone.

Sure my old GoBot space shuttle has a big garish gray metal area where the windshield was, but when I imagine that damage across a white plastic nosepiece with a windshield sticker, it doesn't look that bad.

And white paint on diecast doesn't turn yellow like white plastic can. Tragically, the arms and feet were made of a plastic rather susceptible to yellowing(though the wings and tail are still white, the scratches across them detract from the aesthetic value somewhat).

Edited by JB0

I say "Both are good when used right". The Yamato 1/48 valk has a higher plastic content than ,say, a Bandai SOC Great Mazinger. Both are high quality toys using the two materials in different ways.

I also voted for both. Balance and ease of handling is important. I think the Yamato 1/60 has an excellent balance in fighter mode, but the legs are a bit too heavy relative to everything else in Gerwalk and Battroid modes. The 1/48 has a decent balance with relatively little diecast; the Takatoku/Bandai 1/55's have very nice balance in all modes using a moderate percentage of diecast.