1/3000 SDF-1

Solscud007

Takatoku made the first one. And then matchbox released it in america. however sometime in the middle bandai had it. hence my SDF-1 says bandai on teh bottom. Was there an actual bandai release of teh SDF-1 or only matchbox with bandai printed on the bottom similar to Jokemachines.

After Takatoku was liquidated, Bandai picked up the SDF-1 mold. Some were made and sold under the Robotech line but with Bandai and Macross on them. Then they were released with Matchbox and Harmony Gold (and Robotech on them). They wound up being licensed by Matchbox and they didn't actually own the molds (I believe this was confirmed by some of the HG people at a panel somehere like a year ago).

What I would like to know is why nobody has released either a new one or a reissue of the SDF-1. They would make a killing if one were released! :p:D:lol:

After Takatoku was liquidated, Bandai picked up the SDF-1 mold. Some were made and sold under the Robotech line but with Bandai and Macross on them. Then they were released with Matchbox and Harmony Gold (and Robotech on them).

I don't think there were ever any 1/3000 Robotech SDF-1's released with any imprint other Bandai on the toy itself. I may be mistaken, but that's my impression from what I've seen in this forum and from watching eBay auctions, correspondence with sellers, and other pics I've seen on the web.

I also have the impression that Bandai's name never appeared on the box (except possibly fine print). Matchbox definitely had its name on one release. (Like the one shown at Valkyrie Factory.) I know that some of the Matchbox Robotech stuff was later rereleased with Harmony Gold instead of Matchbox on the box, but I don't know if that ever happened with the 1/3000 SDF-1. I suspect not.

There are also bootleg issues of this toy, they pop up on ebay from time to time. I have never handled one to see what, if anything, is printed on the foot, but they have the spring loaded arms like the Takatoku release.

I know some of you have the bootleg of this one that glane21 just mentioned, so can you confirm what's in printed on the bottom of each foot?

There are also bootleg issues of this toy, they pop up on ebay from time to time.  I have never handled one to see what, if anything, is printed on the foot, but they have the spring loaded arms like the Takatoku release.

At one point in time I had some really good pics of that "bootleg" SDF and had ICQed with the owner (who won it off of ebay) a bit, and even chatted with Shawn, Nam, and Eric over email (back before our modern forums...i wonder if they remember) about these "bootlegs."

From what I remember, they are genuine Takatoku 1/3000 SDF-1 Parts, just stolen by shady factory workers/associates that decided to sell them and package them as their own. They even went so far as to make new box art and such. I wish I still had those pics. But they're not bootlegs in the sense that we are used to; they are not remoulds of an existing cast, or a copycat sculpt. They are real Taka parts. For some reason, though, I remember it being stamped "BANDAI" on it, not Takatoku, though they did have the launching arms and missile bays.

I always wondered how that went though....were they reject parts that factory workers saved and pieced together to make whole ones? Or did some shady workers slowly pocket entire SDF-1's piece by piece little by little each day until they had all the parts to make a whole one without the company knowing? Or did some workers sneak in at night when no one was around and turn on the manufacturing equipment to produce their own SDF's all at once? hmmm.....

I admit, when I was a kid, I always wished I had the inside track on a toy manufacturing company, and I used to have dreams that I got to keep all the test samples....

OH wait a minute, that really DID happen; just that it wasn't me; it was Graham! Darn you Graham, you stole my dream! I want it back please... :p

Edited by redemption

• 16 years later...