Remastered Cowboy Bebop with 5.1 DD audio

Drad

Seems like everything's getting the remastered treatment these days, along with 5.1 Dolby Digital remixed audio. I'm tempted, but I dunno if I wanna spend another $384. I have my old Cowboy Bebop DVDs in 2.0 Dolby Surround, and my equipment provides Dolby Pro-Logic II audio processing. Should I just pass on these remastered discs? How about the rest of you.. would you buy these?

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but it'll be out soon, so....

Interesting thing about this is that it'll contain audio comentaries, which is rare for Japanese releases (I really don't think that the Japanese understand what DVDs are all about yet).

Also included is "Session #0". All in all, I don't think the price is justified, (but then, I NEVER think that about anime) so I won't be getting it. But it's mainly because I'm taping the series off TV at the moment, and VHS is enough for me.

Otherwise I might have considered it (and I was, until the repeats began last month).

Also on the Bebop horizon is a new album -- the Best of CB -- due out in December, see here: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=VICL-61543 Three new tracks included, from the recent PS2 game (when did this come out? Any good?).

And also an "Extra Session" which could be a brand-new OVA (it could also be Session XX, but I doubt it), out in January. :o I'm keeping my eye on this one.

Gotta fulfill my Watanabe thirst until Samurai Champloo returns!!

After paying top dollar for all my R1 releases, I'll wait for a R1 release of this new remastered set. Luckily, I have hooked nearly all my friends on Bebop, so I can easily sell my existing set to anyone who's having touble purchasing their own. Sounds good to me! :)

• 3 weeks later...

More "Cowbop" news.

The content of the forthcoming items other than the Box set is slightly clearer now.

The Extra Session will be an item similar to the Gunbuster Perfect guide, probably. It will be a DVD plus a "hardback book". The actual contents will feature interviews with staff and cast and story digests of each episode.

Unfortunately, it's neither Session XX, nor a new episode.

Release date is 28th of January.

Personally I am looking forward to it, but it'll probably just be considered a "Meh" item for most people, much like the Gunbuster Perfect Guide.

• 1 month later...

It's out -- the box set, that is -- and it looks VERY NICE.

Check it out. http://www.bandaivisual.co.jp/dbeat/bebop/index.html

Click on "Release". Every disc is packaged in a unique case, one's in the style of a Beta tape, one's in the style of a can of film, another like a Blue Note album. Even one like a Playstation 2 game!

Still not worth 42,000 yen, though. For that price they ought to include a live Welsh Corgi.

No subtitles either, and audio commentaries are only featured on three episodes.

Next, music CD: TANK! THE BEST OF CB -- Everyone must get this. Three new tracks. Only Y2000. Liner notes translated by Jonathan Clements. You know you want it.

As for the extra session: It's gone from 30 mins to 90 mins! Yay!