The Official Aim for the Top! Gunbuster Thread

Wow, I actually get to break some news here!  This just in!

http://z14.invisionfree.com/gainaxpages/in...p?showtopic=116

And can I say, the news was worth it just so I can run to midtown to pick up next month's Newtype - no way am I not going to pick up art of Nono as illustrated by Mikimoto!

406989[/snapback]

I picked that up on 4chan. Thought it was a bad & cruel rumor, but damn that IS Mikimoto's work! Man I hope that piece makes it into the GB materials or one of his artbooks!

I'm down on the 'movie' versions though. There's just too much subtle emotion that plays into the series for them to capture. Besides a BG movie would feel like Godzilla: Final Wars. One long continous fight. blah!

Yeah i know its 90 minutes each but even then its cutting a chunk out of the original OVAs considering each is about 20mins x 6 episodes, which equals 120 minutes. Gah...why bother with a redub.

Gah...why bother with a redub.

It's an extra hook to give people a reason to see it. Kind of how Gundam compilation movies have the audio redone.

I mean, I don't think these compilation movies will be particulary good, but now knowing there will be one for each series I don't see the problem with it. It's all to get more people to see them. I'd be lying if I said I'd pass up the chance to see Gunbuster and Diebuster on the big silver screen.

Particularly the second half of ep.4 :p

Seriously, what's the point ino cutting the story of 30 minutes? 120 mins is not a long time for a movie nowadays...

Oh well, looking forward to it anyway :)

Gah...why bother with a redub.

It's an extra hook to give people a reason to see it. Kind of how Gundam compilation movies have the audio redone.

I mean, I don't think these compilation movies will be particulary good, but now knowing there will be one for each series I don't see the problem with it. It's all to get more people to see them. I'd be lying if I said I'd pass up the chance to see Gunbuster and Diebuster on the big silver screen.

407148[/snapback]

Good point. I'd watch it too, if it ever made it out of Japan which I doubt will happen.

• 2 weeks later...
More gunbuster pics.

up250xn.th.jpg

410156[/snapback]

MP Starscream is nice but that Gunbuster looks kick ass!

My wallet was already very thin and now this plus the YF-19…

WHOA!

Could Dix Neuf be the ORGINAL Gun Buster!?

But within the first few minutes of ep5 we have some evidence that it, nono, was either built to welcome back Noriko, was built by her OR that Nono is in some part the orginal GB. But then again the whole Oneesama stick implies that it was Noriko's pilot/partner did it. Oh this is ABSOLUTLY AFTER the orginal because it uses Noriko's newer name.

I think the first 5 minutes explained very well what Nono is. The "welcoming back" aspect and why she's awaiting Noriko hasn't been explained though. Imagine if Top2 ended at exactly the same time Top1 ended, and the so-called continent that welcomes Noriko back is in fact Nono controlling her buster corp to shape the words. :ph34r: That would be awesome.

405969[/snapback]

I would've preferred that as the official reason but I still leave it up to my imagination. :) Still think it is a pity Mikimoto did not work on this series. These character designs just don't do a damn thing for me. :(

I pretty much love the GX34, but there's one thing that bothers me is the wing kibble of the Buster Machine 2 on the Gunbuster's back. Makes the Gunbuster alot less streamlined.

So we have interchangeable feet and the head opens up like in the OVA... nice!

And the way they hide the tail fins on the upper body part is great, almost though you had to take them of.

Consider that added to my "definately buying" list :D

Ya know, it's been forever and a day since I last saw Gunbuster 2, and that was episode 4 out of 6.  Any news of episodes 5 and 6 coming out on any torrents and such?

413014[/snapback]

The sub for 5 is out already. 6 hasn't been released in Japan yet.

I can't wait to see how closely they match it up with the R2 box. This should also been a future announcement of Top 2 once that's finally finished it's R2 release!

When I heard this last night, I was overjoyed... I've only seen Gunbuster in pieces, and boy have I watched those pieces to death.

However, now it looks like (from the AoDVD thread) that there's some doubt if they actually do intend to release Gunbuster... something about about the trailers not being "official". I asked for clarification... hopefully someone can clarify.

<_<

When I heard this last night, I was overjoyed... I've only seen Gunbuster in pieces, and boy have I watched those pieces to death.

However, now it looks like (from the AoDVD thread) that there's some doubt if they actually do intend to release Gunbuster... something about about the trailers not being "official". I asked for clarification... hopefully someone can clarify.

<_<

413388[/snapback]

Don't get your panties in an uproar over nothing. It was leaked a while back that someone held the license for a region 1 release after Manga fumbled the ball. It was just a matter of time finding out who held it. I always felt it would be Bandai, and it is great news, considering how ADV Films like to use southern accents in their dubs for their representation of people from Osaka. Noriko is from Osaka.

As for the trailers, the guy who made the post said they were airing trailers of past work that the company had done. Since Bandai provided much of the financial work for Aim For The Top!, it would only be natural for them to feature clips of the series in their portfolio, so to speak.

Bandai has been pretty "meh" lately, hell, the only release as of recent I haven't had a problem with is Eureka Seven. Good news is, this is Bandai Visual, not Bandai Entertainment. The only thing they've released so far are Patlabor movies 1 & 2. Both are pricey R2 exact lmited edition releases that blow the kind of junk we usually get over here out of the water.

<_<

413388[/snapback]

Don't get your panties in an uproar over nothing. It was leaked a while back that someone held the license for a region 1 release after Manga fumbled the ball. It was just a matter of time finding out who held it. I always felt it would be Bandai, and it is great news, considering how ADV Films like to use southern accents in their dubs for their representation of people from Osaka. Noriko is from Osaka.

As for the trailers, the guy who made the post said they were airing trailers of past work that the company had done. Since Bandai provided much of the financial work for Aim For The Top!, it would only be natural for them to feature clips of the series in their portfolio, so to speak.

413483[/snapback]

The thing that I was surprised on though when I saw the trailer at AX, (BTW, I can confirm that it was unmistakably a license anouncement) was that they could realease it AT ALL. It had been my understanding that the Japanese sound masters had degraded to near-unusable. The Bandai Vis rep said that apparently somehow the sound masters did survive.

Edited by Pat Payne

The sound masters being destroyed is probably a rumor perpetuated by purists (like me!) who never want to see a dubbed version of Aim for the Top! put out on the market. I for one love the original Japanese language version, and do not think an English dub can ever come close to capturing the emotions felt by the original cast, especially in the later episodes. Hopefully Bandai will leave well enough alone, but you know, someone will complain that they have to read. Anyways, if you are a true Gunbuster aficionado as I am, you probably don't need subtitles when watching it.