Multi region DVD player

bigkid24

For the longest time I've been debating the purchase of a multi-region DVD player, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out why since a lot of good titles are available domestically or otherwise. Now I have a copy of Hero for region 5 and I'd like to be able to watch the DVDs my sister picked up from the UK so, at the suggestion of another MWer, I'm going to pick up a gameshark 2 for my PS2.

So now I'm wondering, what other titles are worth getting? So for those of you with a multi-region player what titles made you want to get one? Or what's out there that's worth getting that we can't get in the States?

I bought mine for Futurama. It's one of my favorite shows, but FOX is taking their time releasing it in the States. The R1 season 2 DVD just came out here, but season 3 has been out for at least 6-7 months in the U.K. and Europe. I'm that impatient, what can I say? It also comes in handy for any anime titles that I don't feel like waiting for. I needed a DVD player at the time (my PS2 mucked up when playing the Animego Macross disks, I can't have that), so I found one that could be made region free and had a built in PAL/NTSC convertor: The Daewoo 5700, $99 at Sam's Club.

I'm a fan of Hong Kong pictures, which many are R3. I've owned two Region free players. My first was a no name DVD player I got just so I can watch Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon on R3 DVD (Which came out 7 months beofre the R1 version). Unfortunately, that DVD player was faulty from the get go. Add in a store that does not accept returns and it was literally thrown out my window. My second DVD player, a Daewoo DVD 5800, is the exact opposite. Plays all my DVDs like a dream. I love it so much. Only fault is it doesn't properly convert PAL into NTSC. So I gotta buy a player like that if I wanna see the Hong Kong Legends DVDs.

Ya Daewoos are good region free players. I own a 5700 and S150. The S150 was just 46.00 at Sam's club!. Just a few remote key presses and you're there. The S150 plays raw Mpeg files btw.

check here for info

http://www.nerd-out.com/forum/

Usually Region 2 anime DVDs are what I buy. There are some Region 3 DVDs I'm looking into as well. They are alot cheaper than the R2's.

I mainly bought a region free player for Macross Plus Movie Edition. After the half assed version Mangle put out, I couldn't take it. Also I picked up a few others(Macross DYRL, 20th Annv DVD, Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust with Japanese track/no subs). I did buy the first episode of Macross Zero on R2 but at 50.00 a pop I said forget that and am just sticking with the bootlegs.

Now if only a remastered R2 version of Fist of the North Star the movie on DVD would come out...

Edited by dejr8bud

If you live in the US, I recommend the Apex found at Walmart. The one i got for multi-region plays evrything, from MP3's , VCD's,MPEG's,Multi-region, and JPG's. It only costs 55 dollars.

Well, I'm going to gamble with the Gameshark 2 for my PS2 first since I found a place that sells it for $20. I figure even if it doesn't play stuff very well then at least I can get some use out of it. Otherwise I'm looking at a Malata DVP-520 that's progressive scan and has X-Y tracking among some other features.

How common is it for R2 anime DVDs to have english subtitles? I know Macross Zero doesn't but what about Macross Plus?

JRock - Are there other Hong Kong flicks you recommend? Like I said, I have Hero and I've heard that Battle Royal is pretty good too.

I got one of the original region free Apexes when they first came out It wore out last year, and has been replaced by a newer Apex (actually, region control is easy to find, it's finding one without Macrovision that's a pain).

Besides my Di Gi Charat discs, most of my import anime DVDs are titles that I don't feel like waiting to come out in the US or I don't like the US release company enough to support their release.

How common is it for R2 anime DVDs to have english subtitles? I know Macross Zero doesn't but what about Macross Plus?

Its not that common.

The Japanese region 2 version of Macross Plus has the English audio track and Japanese subs. No English subs. Also its one episode per disc.

So are they subtitled in English? That's what I'm worried about.

Nope. Only a handful of Japanese releases have had English subs. Off the top of my head Memories, FLCL (except ep. 1), Animation Runner Kurumi, and most of the Ghibli titles have them (there are a few more, but nothing I can recall). You can always invest in a genlock and make your own subtitles.

sry to hijack teh tread abit but im been looking for a portable dvd player for some time now. i decided to get atleast a 7in screen but after looking in thise tread is there a portable dvd player that multi region or are they all that, most of the one i considered dont say what region they play.

Once the Macross AnimEigo set was announced, I did major player recearch, and decided I hated region encoding & macrovision. I ended up picking up a player that takes out both from DVD planet, the Pioneer DV-525, modified by their shop for about $400 at the time (all players, decent anyway, cost around that much at the time, 3-4 years ago).

DVD's I've picked up that take advantage of the region switching feature have been absolute must have titles, the R3 Galaxy Express 999 movie (with english subtitles), Mospeada Love Live Alive (R2), & the Macross 20th anniversary collection.

Forgone conclusion I'd get one being fan of both obscure US movies and anime in the wasteland that is Australia, but the killer app that pushed me into racing out and buying one was the then coming soon R2 release of Genesis Climber Mospeada back in 2000.

Macrovision off, region select, PAL/NTSC conversion as well as exporting straight NTSC for those of us with TVs that'll take both.

Cyc

JRock - Are there other Hong Kong flicks you recommend? Like I said, I have Hero and I've heard that Battle Royal is pretty good too.

A lot of the more popular HK films are R0. Like Shaolin Soccer, the Once Upon a Time in China Series, The Police Story series, etc. As for Battle Royale, I'd suggest finding the Tartan R0 NTSC theatrical version or the Korean SE disc. Both have English subs and a better pic than the R3 HK release. If you grew up watching Shaw Bros. shows on TV, Celestial Pictures have The Shaw Bros collection of films that have been remastered to amazing results. The HK film industry is notorious for their poor storing and treatment of original master copies of films, so companies like Celestial and HK Legends are a godsend. I would suggest checking out The 36th Chamber of Shaolin and Come Drink With Me from their collection. And ake sure the discs are Region 3, as there are already bootlegs of the Celestial DVDs.

HK Flix is a good place to check these and many Asian films.

I only just last week, got myself a multi region DVD player, mainly cause I got sick and tired of having watching my Animeigo Macross, and my Robotech DVDs on my computer (plus I should be getting ADVs Mospeada box set pretty soon :D ). It's pretty much a necessity having something thats multi region capable, if your an Anime fan, living in Australia <_