You know - this is something I LOVE about super robots - namely how unpretencious they are.

When Transformers lay down on their backs or stomachs and say "now I'm something else!" I get pissy, but when super robots from the 70s do it - I'm thrilled.

Why?

Because it looks like Combattler V lying on his back with tank treads, airplane wheels and roller wheels.

Why?

Because it IS Combattle V lying on his back with all that stuff.

And that's fine :) Because yeah sure - if I had a giant super robot and it was able to do that without crushing the wheels - heck - sure I'd turn it into that and call it "tank."

I dunno - I just find it fun :)

wheee! Super robot tank!

But .... that looks like something my old Combattler V (aka the older version with the original colors) can do...

Then again... I wouldn't really want to bother - I much prefer all the seperate vehicles. There's no reason why it would be better for him to be a super robot tank than to be a variety of vehicles, one of which is a tank...

So this mode is kind of senseless as well as silly :) But still fun!

Hmm... concievably - I think this mode would make a great battering ram! Combattler V Tank Fist Battering Ramo! Attaack!! :)

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Next week - I will finally have my newest SOC in hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I FINALLY will be the proud owner of the KING OF SPAAAACE!!

GLEEEEENDIZAAAAAAAAAAA AND OOOOOOLLLLL SPAAAZZEEER SETTTO!!!!!!!!!!

BANZAI!! :)

Can't wait.

Pete

Not a Bandai product, but it sorta fits here. Looks like we are getting a diecast R9-A from R-type Final. It appears to be identical to the garage kit that was produced a few years back (think hobbyfan still sells recasts). The kit was excellent and I'm looking forward to adding this to my R-type fleet.

http://www.shopncsx.com/r-typemadougokinrwf-9aarrowhead.aspx

and by sorta I mean barely...since it's a metal collectible. Just figured it was too niche to get its own thread.

Edited by kaiotheforsaken

Not a Bandai product, but it sorta fits here. Looks like we are getting a diecast R9-A from R-type Final. It appears to be identical to the garage kit that was produced a few years back (think hobbyfan still sells recasts). The kit was excellent and I'm looking forward to adding this to my R-type fleet.

http://www.shopncsx.com/r-typemadougokinrwf-9aarrowhead.aspx

and by sorta I mean barely...since it's a metal collectible. Just figured it was too niche to get its own thread.

yes, looking forward to it. ^_^

091202-r-type-1.jpg

091202-r-type-2.jpg

hah hah! i remember my mom buying me the $149.99 sega master game system. R-Type was one of my favorite games, and my friends too. he and i would play this game and try to beat it without dying.

he beat the game before i did, but eventually I was able to take down the Bydo fools.

1 life baby! Go R-9A!

• 3 weeks later...

Glendizer and All Spazer set are now mine!

2e1zv46.jpg

I know - you can't really see any of the other spazers...but I've been busy making a photo-comic (http://dyrl.pl/oferta.html English version coming soon) and so have a bit of a mess on the shelves...

Anyways - this pretty much rounds out my SOC collection. All I really need now in 2010 are Zambot 3 and Ideon. The Fist of Doom Mazinger Z would be nice too.

Then, at some point - Poseidon and the other shin Getters... but especially Poseidon as I have a fond place in my heart for him due to his starring role in the fan photo comic "As Cybertron Turns:

http://spacebridge2000.tripod.com/comic.html (check out Getter Poseidon pimpin' in his purple hat!)

As for the King of Space - I'm pleased with him. The box is massive and it's kind of over-glorified given that these are mainly accessories and more accesories ...but I guess he wouldn't be the King of Space without a fleet of ships...even though technically one of the ships is a submarine and the other is for drilling underground...

But whatever.

My 70s goofy super robot bonanza is complete!

I now own the original Getter Robo set, Voltes V, Combattler V, Daimos, God Mars, Dancouga, Glendizer + All Spazer Set and the three original Evangelion SOC SPECs.

I must say that Bandai's Soul of Chogokin lines is just amazing. Takara needs to give up its' license for Transformers to Bandai. THIS is what modern Transformers need to look like - Die cast, good poseability, TONS of accessories and super robot goodness.

Of course - my biggest dream is that SOC Gundbuster that is out of production and not available anywhere...

But in 2010 - I'll be happy with just two new additions: Zambot 3 and Ideon.

Tomino - this is going to be your year!

Pete

Glendizer and All Spazer set are now mine!

I know - you can't really see any of the other spazers...but I've been busy making a photo-comic (http://dyrl.pl/oferta.html English version coming soon) and so have a bit of a mess on the shelves...

Anyways - this pretty much rounds out my SOC collection. All I really need now in 2010 are Zambot 3 and Ideon. The Fist of Doom Mazinger Z would be nice too.

Then, at some point - Poseidon and the other shin Getters... but especially Poseidon as I have a fond place in my heart for him due to his starring role in the fan photo comic "As Cybertron Turns:

http://spacebridge2000.tripod.com/comic.html (check out Getter Poseidon pimpin' in his purple hat!)

As for the King of Space - I'm pleased with him. The box is massive and it's kind of over-glorified given that these are mainly accessories and more accesories ...but I guess he wouldn't be the King of Space without a fleet of ships...even though technically one of the ships is a submarine and the other is for drilling underground...

But whatever.

My 70s goofy super robot bonanza is complete!

I now own the original Getter Robo set, Voltes V, Combattler V, Daimos, God Mars, Dancouga, Glendizer + All Spazer Set and the three original Evangelion SOC SPECs.

I must say that Bandai's Soul of Chogokin lines is just amazing. Takara needs to give up its' license for Transformers to Bandai. THIS is what modern Transformers need to look like - Die cast, good poseability, TONS of accessories and super robot goodness.

Of course - my biggest dream is that SOC Gundbuster that is out of production and not available anywhere...

But in 2010 - I'll be happy with just two new additions: Zambot 3 and Ideon.

Tomino - this is going to be your year!

Pete

You should get the gx27 Gaiking too. It is another SOC classic 70s robot!

Edited by macrossnake

That is him. I was actually considering getting the Black version because I think the general design is so cool... but without the Dragon, Gaiking is just Gay King if you know what I mean :)

But he and Fisting Mazinger are both long shots. I probably can't afford to get them all. I just want Ideon and Zambot 3 since I actually do love the Ideon anime and also really enjoyed what I saw of Zambot 3.

In fact, I kind of have been doing things backwards with SOC... I am not a huge super robots mecha fan - but I just think the SOCs are so fun and since there is only one character for each series, each of them are unique.

I actually have come to appreciate these Japanese super robot shows where there is ONE hero mecha really instead of hudreds of them running around...

Pete

Gaiking is just Gay King if you know what I mean :)

I am not a huge super robots mecha fan - but I just think the SOCs are so fun and since there is only one character for each series, each of them are unique.

Pete

Well say about "one unique hero robot in each series".

But Gaiking is no where near 'gay'...with or without 'Dragon'. :lol:

NEW-GAIKING1.gif

I always found the designs from Gatchaman appealing. I imagine that if those vehicles combine in the show then the SOC...they are socs right?...will also transform and combine?

Pete

Some better photos from here:

http://artstorm.co.jp/exgokin_gatchaman_me...ction_aset.html

http://artstorm.co.jp/exgokin_gatchaman_me...ction_bset.html

They are not from Bandai. They combine in the show, but not these toys. ;)

They are also VERY damn expensive too. :wacko:

Edited by macrossnake

That is him. I was actually considering getting the Black version because I think the general design is so cool... but without the Dragon, Gaiking is just Gay King if you know what I mean :)

But he and Fisting Mazinger are both long shots. I probably can't afford to get them all. I just want Ideon and Zambot 3 since I actually do love the Ideon anime and also really enjoyed what I saw of Zambot 3.

In fact, I kind of have been doing things backwards with SOC... I am not a huge super robots mecha fan - but I just think the SOCs are so fun and since there is only one character for each series, each of them are unique.

I actually have come to appreciate these Japanese super robot shows where there is ONE hero mecha really instead of hudreds of them running around...

Pete

I have both Gaiking and the Daiyku Maru dragon and they are must additions in any SOC collection

Also the DM Gaiking is better than the first SOC. But they need to really make a revision like they did with Mazinger z

You may also consider getting the GDX C01 Gaiking box set. It reminds me of the old huge chogokin toys and its pretty solid and well made and inexpensive

Well - for now it's a pipe dream. I've really put off Ideon and Zambot 3 for too long. Especially Ideon.

I usually try to only own things from anime that I really love or at least thoroughly enjoy.

SOC seems to be an exception because there's just ONE robot. Buying SOC Daimos does not mean I have to go out and get 15 Daimos toys and stuff... I really really like the idea here - also, SOC revisions are few and far between. While I do appreciate revised SOCs - I think I like the idea that the SOC is supposed to be designed superior enough to withstand the test of time. If you think about it- that's not hard. I mean - make it anime accurate, give it all the poses from the anime and the accessories and gimmicks associated with it and make it the best possible. It's a one off deal. And you just keep producing the same one toy for years and years.

I would SOOOOOO love it if Takara-Tomy did this with Transformers... sorry...but I will now proceed to rant about Transformers again...

Look - there are HUNDREDS of Transformers designs. Hundreds. And every year we get a new design and a new crappy toy that's imperfect and full of flaws for the design.

For goodness sake. Make ONE phenomenal toy and at worse make a renewal version ten years later. How hard can it be? This way, you can go through all of the great characters making stupendous toys for them.

I know, I know...it's a line for kids...the MO is lots of crappy cheap toys for kids to gobble up...

But then again - there are plenty of crappy cheap Getter Robo and other Super Robot toys...but SOC is a unique line for people like me who just wan this one greatest of the greats and that's it.

Um...yeah...there's TF Masterpiece I guess... but... I dunno...other than Prime and Grimlock...none of them measure up. Megatron is one big spindly mess and the seekers have extremely limited leg poseability....

but then again...maybe it makes sense to own 5 Transformers that are relatively great instead of five hundred POC(rap) toys...

SOC of course has it easier in a sense too since most super robots don't transform, but rather combine with things or at parts formers or are combinations of vehicles which themselves don't transform.

But yeah...Ideon..Ideon is next on the list. No ifs buts or other doubts.

It's a crime that I still don't have Ideon.

Pete

Well - for now it's a pipe dream. I've really put off Ideon and Zambot 3 for too long. Especially Ideon.

I usually try to only own things from anime that I really love or at least thoroughly enjoy.

SOC seems to be an exception because there's just ONE robot. Buying SOC Daimos does not mean I have to go out and get 15 Daimos toys and stuff... I really really like the idea here - also, SOC revisions are few and far between. While I do appreciate revised SOCs - I think I like the idea that the SOC is supposed to be designed superior enough to withstand the test of time. If you think about it- that's not hard. I mean - make it anime accurate, give it all the poses from the anime and the accessories and gimmicks associated with it and make it the best possible. It's a one off deal. And you just keep producing the same one toy for years and years.

I would SOOOOOO love it if Takara-Tomy did this with Transformers... sorry...but I will now proceed to rant about Transformers again...

Look - there are HUNDREDS of Transformers designs. Hundreds. And every year we get a new design and a new crappy toy that's imperfect and full of flaws for the design.

For goodness sake. Make ONE phenomenal toy and at worse make a renewal version ten years later. How hard can it be? This way, you can go through all of the great characters making stupendous toys for them.

I know, I know...it's a line for kids...the MO is lots of crappy cheap toys for kids to gobble up...

But then again - there are plenty of crappy cheap Getter Robo and other Super Robot toys...but SOC is a unique line for people like me who just wan this one greatest of the greats and that's it.

Um...yeah...there's TF Masterpiece I guess... but... I dunno...other than Prime and Grimlock...none of them measure up. Megatron is one big spindly mess and the seekers have extremely limited leg poseability....

but then again...maybe it makes sense to own 5 Transformers that are relatively great instead of five hundred POC(rap) toys...

SOC of course has it easier in a sense too since most super robots don't transform, but rather combine with things or at parts formers or are combinations of vehicles which themselves don't transform.

But yeah...Ideon..Ideon is next on the list. No ifs buts or other doubts.

It's a crime that I still don't have Ideon.

Pete

sorry you stepped in a boundry where you should not have.

First you will not be disappointed with Ideon

second i dont share your thoughts on transformers. In fact a lot of the so called crap toys help innovate if anything for other companies. Out of the pile of crap toys you say there have been many innovations. Ideon still cant stay together at the waist if picked up. Dancougar also has issues of staying together and aquarion. but they are show piece toys. not meant to be played with. transformers has had some great chogokin. the mp line. the small hybrid line. binaltech, alternity. cars that look like real cars and have fantastic transformation sequences and have great looking robots !!!! i havent seen anyone or company come up with what takara can. takara did tackle the brave series with mp liokaiser was pretty good. You speak of the MP seekers but they have the most realistic jet mode of any toy and are about 80-90% accurate to their anime version. Then their is the reissues. Classics that gave the mecha toy a platform to which other companies could spring from. Classics line. Modern day versions of g1 line. nicely designed. bw story arch was the best. great line too ie most of the convoys from primal to the mammoth. energon was the big loser with about 10% good molds. and armada with about 2% good molds. cybertron and car robots 2 lines that had great molds. not a fan of the movies but they too had some pretty good molds. takara went back to redesign the prime from the first movie. too me a mp in plastic

so be careful how you criticize a line of toys that opened the floodgates for other companies to continue making great toys. otherwise we may have had 20 years of chunky monkeys and megazords in skittles colors.