VF-1 in X-plane!

Skypoet

In case you've heard of X-plane, it's a simulator for PC or mac, where you can "design" your own planes, experimental or not. One guy, Bradley Gillis, desegned the VF-1 for x-plane, it works great! Thrust vectoring allows you to experience triple, quadruple kulbits, and the weight/power ratio allows to reach the end of earth's atmosphere quite easily.

For X-plane:

www.x-plane.com

For the VF-1 in X-plane:

http://www.x-plane.org/Detailed/5550.shtml

Here's a pic:

post-6-1092189232_thumb.jpg

Yeah that's a new version of X-plane. Graphically it's still a little outdated but we've got to remember that it's programmed by 5 programmers or so and not 50 like in some sims coded by russians programmers (and engineers - see a screenshot of my favorite sim below: "Lock On"). The flight models are roughly satisfying IMHO. 100USD is a bit expansive, and that's the regular price.

OK the sim associated with that screenshot is called "Lock On: Modern Air combat"

post-6-1092237396_thumb.jpg

Sorry I couldn't resist the temptation to add some more...

post-6-1092237570_thumb.jpg

OK, here ya go!!! The following link is fore a video that corresponds to the previous screenshot of the frogfoot...

ftp://ftp.ubisoft.com/games/lomac/media/lockon_movie20.zip

And still another pic of the frogfoot...

post-6-1092268542_thumb.jpg

The link seems to be working fine... If it still doesn't work for you try the following:

www.lo-mac.com

and click in "videos". (there are also screenshots and a demo you can download...

• 2 weeks later...

Heheh... pretty nice :) I have an older version of X-Plane, But I just got utterly frustrated with the lack of visual detail in the program. I was okay with the older versions, but in the most bass-ackwards "improvement" I've ever seen, the newer versions compressed all the aircraft textures into a single 1024*1024 texture map, with pre-set areas for each aircraft part, where the old version had allowed a separate map of that size for each part alone. It's a disaster, resulting in really terrible resolution on parts that are given small areas on the texture. I tended to get creative with part usage to allow more variety in the visual model, such as using fuel tanks as parts of the fuselage, and using a big texture on them to get some nice detail.. but when the tanks got assigned a 64*128 area on the texture, it ruined the idea of using them for detail. :( I had a really nice VF-1 in there once, but it got ruined when the new version wrapped the textures around wrong, and shrank them to microscopic sizes.

In the world of flight sims, you've got two major competitors in the "pure sim" arena: MS Flight Sim, and X-Plane. To put it bluntly, X-Plane is ugly, and the interface and graphics are way behind the times, while MS Flight Sim is incredibly beautiful at times, with high quality graphics abounding, and a very user friendly interface. But then again, MS Flight Sim's flight models are entirely separate from the graphics models, and they can be a pain to tweak correctly, while X-Plane is used professionally to design and test REAL aircraft, since the physical flight calculations it does are above and beyond anything MSFS ever does. It's mostly a decision between visual accuracy and physical accuracy. If you like watching sunsets from 20,000 feet, get MSFS2004. If you want to test out a new design for a private plane, get X-Plane.