Custom color scheme...need some opinions

JLYC

Here's my very first custom color scheme for a 1/60. I just sort of made up the colors and patterns as I go so some feedback would be appreciated. The colors are only about 20% done right now.

The only other improvement I made was to fill and sand the seam lines. This improves the appearance of the legs in battroid mode alot imo.

For those of you who mod your toys- how do you prevent the paint from chipping when you transform? Somehow I don't think a clear coat would be that much help against all the friction between metal and plastic....

thx for looking

Before:

macrossbattroid019.jpg

After:

macrossbattroid046.jpg

macrossbattroid047.jpg

macrossbattroid048.jpg

looks interesting so far, would like to see what battroid looks like.

me personally, I think the front half and the rear, specially the tail assembly aren't resolving too well... need something to tie those two areas together.

What about making the belly a bit lighter in tone as well?

and making the feet a different colour? gun metal grey maybe?

but nice job so far!

whatevs, you're shiet look hot!!! i'm loving the paint scheme you chose, very cool, very original. i should pick up a bunch of 1/60's just for customizing....when i have some loot to spare that is. :D

as far as the paint job chipping, theres nothing you can really do, its gonna happen no matter what you do. :( i'm no expert, but you can try to apply mass layers of clear coat? perhaps someone with alot of custom 1/60's can jump in and help. :unsure:

regardless, your valk = hot! :)

For those of you who mod your toys- how do you prevent the paint from chipping when you transform?

You can put a very fine layer of primer and check the areas which cause paint chipping (where the primer chips off). After that, sand down the problematic areas (not too much), prime again and then, go for your custom ;) .

You can avoid the "primer step" by studing carefuly the areas that rub against each other, and then do the sanding. Clearcoating helps too!!!!!!!!

I like it. The yellow tipped nose and primarily gray body makes me think Elint, and there's nothing wrong with that. I like the view from the top but seems like there needs to be more black on the sides.

Are you going to paint the head? The gleaming white head really stands out.

thx for the feedback guys..keep'em coming!

A quick shot before chow time...worked a bit more on the backpack and legs. i hope this solves a bit of the 'continuity' between front and rear, but on the other hand I really want to keep the color scheme simple on this one with a military feel. sometimes i get too carried away with the colors and end up with something too busy, which i'm gonna try to avoid this time.

ps yes i'm going to paint the head

macrossbattroid052.jpg

Edited by JLYC

That scheme looks similar to the 1/48 custom that is being offered as the grand prize in the 'write a Macross essay competition' in the latest issue of Figure Oh magazine. I think the custom is called 'Meteor Busters' or something like that. My magazine is at home and I'm at work so I can't check now.

Graham

thx for the scan.

Here are some pics in gerwalk mode. the chipping paint is driving me insane!! There are many areas I have to touch up everytime after a transformation. Any other solutions other than sanding friction areas and clearcoating??

macrossbattroid059.jpg

macrossbattroid062.jpg