yamato 1/60 non fastpack compatible valks

MacrossJoe

I made my VF-1A CF fast pack compatible by enlarging some of the existing holes with a round needle file and carefully drilling, cutting, filing rectangular slots in the backpack to accept the booster attachment prongs. It worked quite well; as a matter of fact, I have it wearing the fast packs form my Hikaru VF-1J.

I made my VF-1A CF fast pack compatible by enlarging some of the existing holes with a round needle file and carefully drilling, cutting, filing rectangular slots in the backpack to accept the booster attachment prongs. It worked quite well; as a matter of fact, I have it wearing the fast packs form my Hikaru VF-1J.

I just did the same thing. Drilling the holes in the fastpacks was a bit tricky but not difficult. I made a crude template of the holes from a fastpack ready backpack using tracing paper and a pencil. To make the holes, I used a drill, exacto knife, and a square file. I took it slow and did a lot of test fittings. One thing to be careful of is to make sure you are working straight in from the side and not at the angle of the side of the fastpack.

The left leg took the leg armor just fine but for some reason, the holes are smaller on the right leg. I used a round file and an exacto knife to enlarge them.

Can you guys post pics of either Max, Hikaru, or a 1A? I would appriciate it.

I drilled holes through my Hikaru. Yamato had already started the job but it turned out that they were mis-aligned :( The fp parts kept popping off.

Instead of drilling holes in the legs, I shaved the pegs on the FPs. That was easier for me.

For the rest, I had a junker FP compatible Valk and used that.

If you shave off the pegs on the armor, then how do you get it to stay on??

I have a max vf1a and the holes on the legs are not really holes but more like round indentations. So has anyone actually successfully drilled holes into the metal legs?

I did notice that the round indentations on the side of the legs are misaligned. The ones on the back of the legs seems okay on the left leg but slightly misaligned on the right leg, as someone already pointed out.

Thanks for the tips on the backpack.

Can't wait to finish this mod so I can dress up my max 1a with some armor. :D

I really wish Yamato would release a Super CF with the TRU (or maybe even darker) paint scheme, since they're not gonna do upgrades. I'd buy at least 2 or 3!

Well, I finally decided to do the mod and I'm happy to say that I now have a super vf-1a Max. (wearing the armor from my super vf-1j) My cuts are rough but the fast pack fits snugly and doesn't fall off or anything like that.

I have to say, the max vf-1a looks infinitely better with the fast pack on. :lol:

Thanks for all your advice and help.