need a gundam website on par with macrossworld

southpaw

All good sites, but they just remind me of how great the Gundam Project used to be. Oh well, at least Mark Simmons is wirting for gundamofficial.com, so it's close.

I doubt we'll ever see a Gundam site comparable to Macross World in terms of merchandise coverage because of the huge amount of Gundam crap thats been released in the past 20 years. A smaller series like Macross is easier to cover than suge a sprawling series like Gundam.

Also check out http://aeug.blogspot.com/ for daily Gundam news.

i honestly don't think there is a really good gundam site equivilent to MacrossWorld. i personally frequent Gundam Watch, it has a fairly small population, but there are a goodly number of well informed fans. i've found that most of the boards with big populations are highly remeniscent of RT.com, ie full of juvenile, underinformed fans who like to argue and put each other down, much of the recent US fan base for gundam is too young to put together a good online community.

ok, so maybe this is me being a little bitter about the really good gundam sites all closing over the last few years. as yellowlightman said http://aeug.blogspot.com/ is a good site for news. MAHQ is a good spot for information.

hope this helps.

MAHQ, Fantoysia, the Gunota Headlines Blog is the only blog I've ever liked (I mean ever, I hate blogs). Or you could just go to archive.org and get the archives of Gundam Project to reminesce, or see what you missed out on, depending. Gundamofficial is getting much better, their glossaries are becomming more complete. But who knows what will happen when gundam.com comes back, if it comes back.

I've found that most of the boards with big populations are highly remeniscent of RT.com, ie full of juvenile, underinformed fans who like to argue and put each other down, much of the recent US fan base for gundam is too young to put together a good online community.

Unfortunately the older fans are even worse.

The bulk of the Gundam fanbase sadly are just completely obnoxious, especially the UC elitists.

I've found that most of the boards with big populations are highly remeniscent of RT.com, ie full of juvenile, underinformed fans who like to argue and put each other down, much of the recent US fan base for gundam is too young to put together a good online community.

The bulk of the Gundam fanbase sadly are just completely obnoxious, especially the UC elitists.

nothing wrong with being a UC elitist :D

Edited by Skippy438

I'm gonna go with Skippy, here. I mean, sure, I'll admit that it was Wing that got me into Gundam. And I'll admit that Wing isn't bad, per se. But by now, I've seen every Gundam except for V, Turn A, G, and Seed, and Wing was by far my least favorite. It (kinda) has the Gundam themes... but they take away the seriousness of UC Gundam and replace it with a boy band (minus the music). Not to mention that it's pretty irritating when the younger fans refer to Char as a lame ripoff of Zechs, no matter how many times you explain to them that Char came first.

Depends on what you mean by older fan. I think the oldest Gundam fans on the net are on the Gundam Mailing List, and while definately UC-biased (lots of these peopel grew up with Gundam or got into it in the early 90's) they're definately not obnoxious.

A lot of the UC elitism comes from the tons of Wing fans that sprouted up, and annoyed the hell out of the older UC with their lack of comprehension about the history of Gundam before Wing and their general teenybopper crapulence. Robotech fandom encountered a similar situation after CN started playing Robotech.

I'm gonna go with Skippy, here. I mean, sure, I'll admit that it was Wing that got me into Gundam. And I'll admit that Wing isn't bad, per se. But by now, I've seen every Gundam except for V, Turn A, G, and Seed, and Wing was by far my least favorite. It (kinda) has the Gundam themes... but they take away the seriousness of UC Gundam and replace it with a boy band (minus the music). Not to mention that it's pretty irritating when the younger fans refer to Char as a lame ripoff of Zechs, no matter how many times you explain to them that Char came first.

pardon me, but i made no comments about about a preference of one show over another. i was picking no sides, wing introduced me to gundam as well. i was simply refering to the behavior i observe at the big gundam sites. there was a reason gundam.com closed, for the last several months the site was up, the only threads that saw any real activity were the ones where two or three people were flaming each other. most of the big sites i've hit are full of "vs" threads and "who's your favorite ___" threads, which don't make for a good community. most of the gundam boards out there either have too much moderation and few members or lots of members and too little moderation, Macross World manages to tread the fine line between these two.

Very true, but I find that true of most other boards on the internet no matter the subject. And though I am a UC elitist, I do have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed wing the first time it was shown, I tried not to miss a single episode, but during this time I discovered the Gundam Project and what at the time was Burke's mecha website (That eventually became MAHQ). By the fifth or sixth showing of wing it was starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth.