1/60 Yamato VF-4G Web-Exclusive Toy

Graham

VF-4 Poll  

333 members have voted

1. 1. If you lived in Japan would you pre-order a VF-4?

• I would pre-order but I'm not sure I can afford it.
    • Yes I would pre-order, but I would only buy it if it was under $300 (about 24000円).
    • I would pre-order it and buy it at any price.
    • I would pre-order it just to bump the numbers, but won't actually buy it.

Fantastic job vf_1s!! Are those the supplied stickers or did you somehow get waterslide decals? It looks great - congrats on a wonderful custom (how Yamato "should" have sold this toy!)

Fantastic job vf_1s!! Are those the supplied stickers or did you somehow get waterslide decals? It looks great - congrats on a wonderful custom (how Yamato "should" have sold this toy!)

Thank you for all the comments guys! and thank you wm cheng! It was you who inspired me to paint mine.

I agree with you that the "101" decal that came with the kit was too small, so I used the ones from my 1/48 VF-1J. The rest of the decals were from the 1/60 VF-1J, VE-1, and VT-1. The tail fin is the only one I painted. I actually used the testor "Radome Tan", guess it turned out alright. The booster cone were painted with Mr. Metal Gold. I personally liked it, kind of give it a "space craft" look. I then cover everything with a flat coat.

Again, thanks sharing all the tips and references on this thread! It was so useful! I love this community!

Edited by vf_1s

Thank you for all the comments guys! and thank you wm cheng! It was you who inspired me to paint mine.

I agree with you that the "101" decal that came with the kit was too small, so I used the ones from my 1/48 VF-1J. The rest of the decals were from the 1/60 VF-1J, VE-1, and VT-1. The tail fin is the only one I painted. I actually used the testor "Radome Tan", guess it turned out alright. The booster cone were painted with Mr. Metal Gold. I personally liked it, kind of give it a "space craft" look. I then cover everything with a flat coat.

Again, thanks sharing all the tips and references on this thread! It was so useful! I love this community!

hai vf 1.. are you using lacquer paint? what type .. and is it durable from scratching?

^^^Hahah! How'd I know you would be the first one to post something from NY? Do they pay you commission or something? ;)

Very beautiful...makes me wanna do it to one of my pair but I don't got the guts right now :(

^^^Hahah! How'd I know you would be the first one to post something from NY? Do they pay you commission or something? ;)

No, I did a quick search and it was the only place I found. Do you know about any other? That might be helpful.

Edited by Reïvaj

hai vf 1.. are you using lacquer paint? what type .. and is it durable from scratching?

Hi, thank you for the generous comments again!

I took wm cheng's advice of masking with the tamaya tape. It was so easy to use! I masked the booster and the black area, then airbrush a thin layer of testor enamel radome tan. Then cover it with a few coats of lacquer flat coat.

When I first transformed it (a day later), the locking points did have minor scratch, and I have to touch up. But after 3 days, the paint dried and harden enough, and I have transformed it 5 times since then, and no scratch. The key is to make aure the peg going straight in when you transform. Hope it helps!

Edited by vf_1s

I think it may also fluctuate due to how they source the item. I wonder if they hunt the items around town, because they tend to get things that I can't find elsewhere after pre-orders are shipped out.

Edited by Loop

I think it may also fluctuate due to how they source the item. I wonder if they hunt the items around town, because they tend to get things that I can't find elsewhere after pre-orders are shipped out.

That's my guess too. They probably send one of their employees out buying up stock from the local toy and hobby shops for these things and then mark them up from whatever price they paid for em.

So, I love Yamato's VF-4, but I couldn't shake the feeling that it really needed some appropriate squadron markings. The FB2012 stuff was a nice addition, but I didn't want to get started with trying any paints on this thing. I'd ruin a $300 toy, for sure.

I played with subdued skull squadron colors and the VF-1 wolfpack colors from a VF-0A sticker sheet, but it still didn't look right. The blue trim clashed with the schemes and that just bugged me.

Did some digging in the VF-1 Master File books and found a photo of some similar looking gray w/ blue trim VF-4s flying with an AK tail code. Ok, I can work with that. Found some old 1/48 A-4 Skyhawk decals with an AK tail code marking and decided to decal up my VF-4 tailfins. Ended up using the old multi-color squadron leader markings too. After some tests, I figured out that 50% flat clearcoat and 50% semi-gloss clearcoat matches yamato's plastic sheen perfectly.

Regardless, I know I'm not as good a builder as some of you out there, but I think it looks pretty good and I'm happy with it.

20130202_110647_zpsdf203a6f.jpg

20130202_110704_zps6bdbec9e.jpg

20130202_110754_zps57e60633.jpg

Edited by CoreyD

Cool, but super glue on a $300+ toy?... :o You're a much braver man than I. B))

I think if I wanted to add those hardpoints I'd attach them with some automotive grade 3M double sided tape, much easier to clean up leftover tape residue than CA left-overs if you ever change your mind. CA requires acetone or an acetone based remover to strip away completely.