1/48+fp's, 1/60+fp's, 1/72, 1/2k, 1/3k,1/100 and now 1/144

VF-18S Hornet

change in thread topic  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this change in topic

2. 2. Or do you prefer a part five

Wow. Just a seriously impressive display, that!

Thanks! I try not to think how much my bank account bled for that display. :D

Great Shot! Gives me great ideas! Now if I can just make what I picture in my head look like that it'd be awesome.

Thanks! I know what you mean about the how you envision the shot in your head and it doesn't quite turn out when you actually take it. Looking forward to seeing the shot.

Its Alto Squadron. :)

15333726481_ba49491939_b.jpg

Apologies for picture quoting, but that shot deserves to be seen and not buried on the last page.

I would say that you need Alto's YF-29 too, but (1) I understand the theme of his 25's (which is awesome) and (2), I don't want your wallet to suffer any more than it already has. Especially if you paid current market prices for his Super and Armor Parts.

-b.

Apologies for picture quoting, but that shot deserves to be seen and not buried on the last page.

I would say that you need Alto's YF-29 too, but (1) I understand the theme of his 25's (which is awesome) and (2), I don't want your wallet to suffer any more than it already has. Especially if you paid current market prices for his Super and Armor Parts.

-b.

Thanks KB! :D

I was lucky with the Altos, I got Valks for good prices (retail or below), the Super and Armored parts before the prices went sky rocketing. My goal for the VF-25s was to be able to display every variant (in fighter mode) of each version. :)

As for the YF-29 Alto... I got that covered too. ;)

13923789459_714249d596_b.jpg

Edited by Saburo

^Indeed you do - very nice!

If you opt to do another shot that is Alto-themed please be sure to consider the YF-29, I was not a fan when I first saw the design (especially the color scheme that they used for Alto's), but I appreciate the Valk for what it is and the other variants helped me warm to he design.

-b.

Love your Alto squadron. That's a beautiful shot.

Thank you MJ.

^Indeed you do - very nice!

If you opt to do another shot that is Alto-themed please be sure to consider the YF-29, I was not a fan when I first saw the design (especially the color scheme that they used for Alto's), but I appreciate the Valk for what it is and the other variants helped me warm to he design.

-b.

Not sure how I'll be able to get all them into frame. I figure something out and yes the YF-29 will be included. :D

...And the VF-171EX

:p

Sadly, I don't own any VF-171s. I like the design and would like to get every version but I can't bring myself to buy them because of the breakage issues with the CF version. I know the 171EX is not prone to breakage, but having the set and having a broken CF would bug me. So I choose not to get the 171s, but I can ask Valkyrie Magnus to borrow his 171s to take photos. :D

...And the VF-171EX

:p

Whoops!!!! Totally forgot about Alto's 171 EX. :lol:

Sadly, I don't own any VF-171s. I like the design and would like to get every version but I can't bring myself to buy them because of the breakage issues with the CF version. I know the 171EX is not prone to breakage, but having the set and having a broken CF would bug me. So I choose not to get the 171s, but I can ask Valkyrie Magnus to borrow his 171s to take photos. :D

Sounds like peer pressure time. You owe it to yourself to own Alto's 171 AND corresponding Armor Parts. Just buy the next one you see available, frustrating transformation be darned (ha ha).

-b.

Sounds like peer pressure time. You owe it to yourself to own Alto's 171 AND corresponding Armor Parts. Just buy the next one you see available, frustrating transformation be darned (ha ha).

-b.

If you ignore the largely unsatisfying transformation it is a lot of fun to pose in Gerwalk and Battroid.

-b.

Hahaha... maybe when Valkyrie Magnus brings his VF-171s over to photograph I might change my mine. ;)

If you ignore the largely unsatisfying transformation it is a lot of fun to pose in Gerwalk and Battroid.

Good to know. If anything I would transform to each mode to take pics and in fighter mode it would remain. But even in fighter mode, the eventual breakage of the triangles and knee would just sit in the back of my mind and bug me.

Edited by Saburo

Epic shot Saburo, great work.

Thanks Old Man. :)

Great pictures Saburo. That VF-1S is preettyyy.

Found this as far as waterslides go. Don't know if good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/new-Water-Decal-for-YAMATO-1-60-Macross-Valkyrie-VF-1-action-figure-FREE-SHIP-/331326207172?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d2494b4c4

Thanks Falcon18 and thank you for the info on the waterslides. :D

I took a chance and ordered a set, estimated delivery is Monday, Oct. 20 - Wednesday, Nov 5 so it will be a while before I can post up my thoughts on it.

Edited by Saburo

I've used those ones and the printing is good. However, mine had a very crackled clear coat on them and I found the white color was not very opaque. Means the skull emblems for the fast packs could really have used a white undercoat. Painting the whole circle white would do the trick nicely. I'll see if I can dig up a pic to show you what I mean.

Or... Kanedas Bike, maybe you can show him? ;)

EDIT: original thread here -http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=40302&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

Edited by mickyg

I took a chance and ordered a set, estimated delivery is Monday, Oct. 20 - Wednesday, Nov 5 so it will be a while before I can post up my thoughts on it.

No problem. :) It looks pretty good on micky's. I already stickered mine up so no way I'm gonna buy that. :p

I've used those ones and the printing is good. However, mine had a very crackled clear coat on them and I found the white color was not very opaque. Means the skull emblems for the fast packs could really have used a white undercoat. Painting the whole circle white would do the trick nicely. I'll see if I can dig up a pic to show you what I mean.

EDIT: original thread here -http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=40302&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

Hey! Your pics do your work so much more justice than anything I could take with my phone.

And Hikaru's VF-1A still has/is in a place of honor on the shelf. :)

-b.

Thanks Old Man. :)

Let me know what you think of these waterslide decals... I have a few sets from a few years ago when they first came out and I found that the "white" is very transparent to the point that it wasn't really useable. I hope they have improved by now. I usually make my own now on the colour copiers, but I can't print anything that needs white underneath or anything that goes onto a dark coloured valkyrie. That's why I love the new Renewal Bandais - they've tampo everything that I need unlike the naked Yamacadias which charges a lot more.

Thanks for the info and pictures on the waterslides. :) If they are at least the same level as the ones in your photo I'll be happy with the how the white looks on the boosters. If not I'll probably paint the circle or if there is another alternative to painting that anyone could suggest.

Let me know what you think of these waterslide decals... I have a few sets from a few years ago when they first came out and I found that the "white" is very transparent to the point that it wasn't really useable. I hope they have improved by now. I usually make my own now on the colour copiers, but I can't print anything that needs white underneath or anything that goes onto a dark coloured valkyrie. That's why I love the new Renewal Bandais - they've tampo everything that I need unlike the naked Yamacadias which charges a lot more.

Will do. :) I don't like to use the stickers because of the raised surface they have when applied, at least with the waterslides are less noticeable. It would be nice if everything was tampo, but then again the prices would raise... :unsure:

Nice decal job on that Yamato VF-1A mickyg BTW - it really adds a lot too the toy.

Thanks for the info and pictures on the waterslides. :) If they are at least the same level as the ones in your photo I'll be happy with the how the white looks on the boosters. If not I'll probably paint the circle or if there is another alternative to painting that anyone could suggest.

Will do. :) I don't like to use the stickers because of the raised surface they have when applied, at least with the waterslides are less noticeable. It would be nice if everything was tampo, but then again the prices would raise... :unsure:

You can just get a sheet of white decal film, cut it into the right sized circle and put that on first before adding the decals on this sheet on top of it. That's what Hasegawa does on its models (even though their white is sufficiently opaque enough).

With the premium that they already charge over the Bandai - I don't think any more tampo printing should justify another price increase on their end (other than just to gouge us). Boy, I'm already dreading trying to scrounge up decals for the upcoming VF-0D release, its a dark valk so we need white and with Anasazi out of the decal business, we may have to live with a naked bare toy for a long while (I still hate looking at my bare YF-19 - it sticks out like a sore thumb in my collection!)

Nice decal job on that Yamato VF-1A mickyg BTW - it really adds a lot too the toy.

You can just get a sheet of white decal film, cut it into the right sized circle and put that on first before adding the decals on this sheet on top of it. That's what Hasegawa does on its models (even though their white is sufficiently opaque enough).

With the premium that they already charge over the Bandai - I don't think any more tampo printing should justify another price increase on their end (other than just to gouge us). Boy, I'm already dreading trying to scrounge up decals for the upcoming VF-0D release, its a dark valk so we need white and with Anasazi out of the decal business, we may have to live with a naked bare toy for a long while (I still hate looking at my bare YF-19 - it sticks out like a sore thumb in my collection!)

Thanks WM, I'll go with the white decal film method.

Do you have any suggestions on what I should get and where?

At the very least, if they aren't going to bother tampo printing the valks, Arcadia should make optional waterslide decals. They can't possibly cost all that much for them to make and they already have the ability to print white. I feel like I have to do so much myself on the 19, like painting the grey stripes or making up for the missing surface detail.

Here is one of my 19's so far. It's very much a work in progress. Most of the stickers on the sheet match up with the markings in the VF-19 master file (like the ones that say "Hover Nozzle Cover Pivot", "Active Air Flow Controller", "Glove Arm Inside", etc.) so I used that as a guide along with the Hasegawa stuff.

Still need to panel line it more, weather it and clearcoat. but I'm waiting to do that until I finish stickering the other one so I can do them both in one go. It's been gathering dust for a while now so it's pretty dusty in the pics despite me blowing it off a bit.

DSC_5972.jpgDSC_5975.jpg

I guess the stickers aren't entirely terribad, but the worst offender is when the stickers on on a black surface. Then the edges of the stickers are as noticeable as an air raid alarm going of in an otherwise silent night.

Thanks WM, I'll go with the white decal film method.

Do you have any suggestions on what I should get and where?

I usually use these: http://www.bare-metal.com/Experts-Choice-Decal-Film.html (they make clear for my laser colour copier decals and a opaque white for your application)

At the very least, if they aren't going to bother tampo printing the valks, Arcadia should make optional waterslide decals. They can't possibly cost all that much for them to make and they already have the ability to print white. I feel like I have to do so much myself on the 19, like painting the grey stripes or making up for the missing surface detail.

Here is one of my 19's so far. It's very much a work in progress. Most of the stickers on the sheet match up with the markings in the VF-19 master file (like the ones that say "Hover Nozzle Cover Pivot", "Active Air Flow Controller", "Glove Arm Inside", etc.) so I used that as a guide along with the Hasegawa stuff.

Still need to panel line it more, weather it and clearcoat. but I'm waiting to do that until I finish stickering the other one so I can do them both in one go. It's been gathering dust for a while now so it's pretty dusty in the pics despite me blowing it off a bit.

DSC_5972.jpgDSC_5975.jpg

I guess the stickers aren't entirely terribad, but the worst offender is when the stickers on on a black surface. Then the edges of the stickers are as noticeable as an air raid alarm going of in an otherwise silent night.

Wow!!! That is the best looking Arcadia YF-19 I've seen, great job so far MJ. Especially love the grey stripes. I can't decide which I would hate more on my toy; give in and live with the thick sticker transfer film or keep looking at my bare naked toy. Either way I'm seriously dis-satisfied with this toy knowing that I paid more for it than my VF-4G or SDF-1 - argh! I really don't understand why everyone seems to have this Yamacadia "can do no wrong" attitude around here! (and keep bashing Bandai - OK, I agree their pre-order is very insanely stupid, but their toys aren't that bad IMHO).

Nice. I really should get to doing mine. Lol.

Curious as to what were the missing surface details that you added. Also, any links for the matching up of the markings? Were there stickers placed where you followed the instruction book?

The little black markings I added that aren't on the toy itself, but were in the master file and even on the original 1/60 YF-19 toy in some cases.

I pretty much just ignored the transformation manual.

I finally gotten around to the jewels of my collection. The best engineering that Yamato has done, the height of their Valkyrie achievement IMHO. I had really given up on ever getting a toy of my favourite design - but I was pleasantly surprised. I still hold up hope for a Hasegawa static model one of these days.

It's very lightly weathered as I don't think it would have seen any action. The white control surfaces are my compromise from painting the entire transformable toy white as I feel it would be a nightmare if I scratched it during play. I feel its in keeping with the general tone/era of Navy fighters from the 70s as Mr. K's inspiration. Most of the data stenciling is scavenged from various kits in my spares box and the skull is from the 1/72 Hasegawa spares - a tiny bit small, but it still works. I sprayed all the leading edges in Aclad Aluminum to hide some of the VFX blue scheme the original toy had.

Enjoy...

DSC 3097   resized

DSC 3094   resized

DSC 3092   resized

DSC 3089   resized

DSC 3088   resized

DSC 3085   resized

DSC 3078   resized

DSC 3077   resized

Thanks wmkjr! Glad you liked it. ^_^ Hahaha! It's just that I've been gone for awhile and just planning to post some photos then BAM! All the photos I saw was like Oohh, Aahh... So gorgeous. So gorgeous I don't think my photos belongs to this thread. Hahaha! :lol:

Don't worry, I'll post new amateurish photos soon. Just been busy with my kindergarten boy. ;)

Kudos guys on the uber-looking photos! Post more. ;)

Wow!!! That is the best looking Arcadia YF-19 I've seen, great job so far MJ. Especially love the grey stripes. I can't decide which I would hate more on my toy; give in and live with the thick sticker transfer film or keep looking at my bare naked toy. Either way I'm seriously dis-satisfied with this toy knowing that I paid more for it than my VF-4G or SDF-1 - argh! I really don't understand why everyone seems to have this Yamacadia "can do no wrong" attitude around here! (and keep bashing Bandai - OK, I agree their pre-order is very insanely stupid, but their toys aren't that bad IMHO).

Thanks!

The way I figure it, I will probably never find the decals I need for the YF-19, short of buying a hasegawa kit just to scavenge the decals off of it. So I just made the best of what I had since, like you, I was extremely dissatisfied with the plain look of it out of the box.

I finally gotten around to the jewels of my collection. The best engineering that Yamato has done, the height of their Valkyrie achievement IMHO. I had really given up on ever getting a toy of my favourite design - but I was pleasantly surprised. I still hold up hope for a Hasegawa static model one of these days.

It's very lightly weathered as I don't think it would have seen any action. The white control surfaces are my compromise from painting the entire transformable toy white as I feel it would be a nightmare if I scratched it during play. I feel its in keeping with the general tone/era of Navy fighters from the 70s as Mr. K's inspiration. Most of the data stenciling is scavenged from various kits in my spares box and the skull is from the 1/72 Hasegawa spares - a tiny bit small, but it still works. I sprayed all the leading edges in Aclad Aluminum to hide some of the VFX blue scheme the original toy had.

Enjoy...

I think the painted flaps is one of the best parts of that! It's amazing that something so simple adds a whole lot to the overall look of the valk. I love it and now I wish I had done something similar with the control surfaces on mine...

vf-4 is such a unique valk that it does not really look that it can transform. That is the reason why I hold it as my grail, aside from the fact it is overpriced now and I was not working when it was first released.

The VF-4 has such a unique transformation design. It really looks like it doesn't transform and for the longest time I had a hard time envisioning how it could go possibly from the fighter to battroid.

Nice photos no3ljm! No such thing as amateurish shots here. Everyone's pics are all good!

Yep! Don't be ashamed to post your photos! The more the merrier. It's more fun when everyone shares and it would get boring quick if only a few people contributed pics :)

That YF-19 is WIP, and it looks awesome! Can't wait to see it completed. :)

I usually use these: http://www.bare-metal.com/Experts-Choice-Decal-Film.html (they make clear for my laser colour copier decals and a opaque white for your application)

Thanks WM, I'll go check it out.

Enjoy...

That is an amazing VF-4, the Flashback 2012 color scheme is so nice! :D

Wow! Great photos everyone! :wub: Now, I feel ashamed if I'm going to post my 'amateurish' shots of VF-4G. :unsure:

Anyways, been gone for awhile so here's my share. ^_^

Hope to post some Battroid shots soon. ;)

All photos are good photos! The boards would kinda plain without photos. :)

Nice photos no3ljm! No such thing as amateurish shots here. Everyone's pics are all good!

This man speaks the truth. :D

*snip*

Yep! Don't be ashamed to post your photos! The more the merrier. It's more fun when everyone shares and it would get boring quick if only a few people contributed pics :)

I couldn't have said it better. :)

Edited by Saburo