1/48+fp's, 1/60+fp's, 1/72, 1/2k, 1/3k,1/100 and now 1/144

VF-18S Hornet

change in thread topic  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this change in topic

2. 2. Or do you prefer a part five

Thanks very much!

I have been looking into getting an acrylic sheet for a while, but I'm having trouble finding what I need locally. I guess I could order it online, but it would probably somehow get to me all scratched and cracked with my luck.

In other news, I just finished my first weathered valk since January this year. I took a long break and with so much stuff constantly coming in, I felt I needed to start making a dent in my backlog. I feel so rusty after so long.

Here are the first pics of my YF-30. I'll be taking more tomorrow, particularly of the other modes.

YF-30_battroid_01.jpg

YF-30_battroid_02.jpg

YF-30_battroid_03.jpg

YF-30_battroid_04.jpg

That's really nice subtle weathering, looking forward to seeing the other modes.

Can I ask how you weather them; ie do you start in fighter mode and do the whole thing, then start transforming and do the rest that you couldn't see when in fighter mode?

Ok, had some time to play with my new light tent and lights on the weekend, so here's some very much overdue shots of some of my collection. Thanks to Saburo for the photo tips and MacrossJunkie for the tips on weathering and clear-coating. This VF-25G was done last year, but I just haven't gotten to photographing them, I will make my way through my collection starting now, enjoy. I usually clear coat the Valkyries semi-gloss and the fast packs in matte/flat just like my models so there is a contrast in sheen.

attachicon.gifDSC_2988 - resized.jpgattachicon.gifDSC_2991 - resized.jpgattachicon.gifDSC_2999 - resized.jpgattachicon.gifDSC_3001 - resized.jpgattachicon.gifDSC_3006 - resized.jpgattachicon.gifDSC_3008 - resized.jpg

Beautiful work.

now we have two yf-30 that have the correct leading edge colors. Thanks Macross Junkie for sharing, as usual, superb work on both weathering and photography.

That's really nice subtle weathering, looking forward to seeing the other modes.

Can I ask how you weather them; ie do you start in fighter mode and do the whole thing, then start transforming and do the rest that you couldn't see when in fighter mode?

Beautiful work.

Thanks, guys!

Actually I did most of the work (masking and painting the pattern, oil wash, weathering, and clear coating) in a sort of GERWALK deployment so most of the surfaces would be exposed. I took the head and weapon pod off and did those separately. After that, I took it to battroid mode to finish off the parts that were still hidden.

I should hopefully have time to photograph the other modes after I get home from work.

Back again. Got busy from my son's first 2 weeks at Kindergarten. All those meet the teachers, parents, etc. :p Anyways, would love to share some pics I took of VF-4G since I was planning on replacing the hands with the Hobby Base Mechanical Square Hands since the hands that came with it is too small for the Battroid mode. From the looks of it, it looks nice and well-proportioned IMHO. ^_^ The only gripe I have on this Mechnical Hands is the moment it creates a stress on the finger joints, the one that connects to the knuckle area, it's done. :unsure: Btw, the shade of the grey I'm using is the same shade as the neck area.

2014-09-06222623_zps0e9284d1.jpg

2014-09-06223113_zps0b5a56c7.jpg

2014-09-06222725_zps5b5f69ae.jpg

2014-09-06223225_zps1ddf3d26.jpg

I'm sure everyone posted cool photos for the last 2 weeks. I'll start back-browsing tonight. Hehehe. :lol:

Forgot to mentioned that this VF-4G already suffered his first injury. :unsure: The tailfin kinda stuck in the cabinet. Good thing it still semi-attached to it so I put a small dab of superglue.

th_2014-09-07112149_zpsabb86bce.jpg

Here are the rest of the pics I took of my YF-30. Finding the right mixture of paints for the subtle colors differences to pain the patterns on the wings and other areas was a pain.

Poor thing, it's all dirty. Someone should give it a bath. :p

Edited by anime52k8

I don't see a complimentary gray on the leading edge of the wing and leading edge of the tail fin in this photo.

Lighting and angles seem to affect it drastically. That said, the lighter color could have been more pronounced. So although it's there and I can see it in person and in some of the photos, in others it's really hard to see so I took your feedback and made it more visible by respraying with less thinner so it shows up in the photos better.

YF-30_Fighter_08.jpg

YF-30_Fighter_07.jpg

Yeah, that looks like the lineart from the game now. Makes me mad Bandai are so good at missing details like that. The three tone looks way better on the 30.

Hey, Bandai had done a waaay better job at this than the blank Arcadia YF-19 we got for $150 more!

I love Roy! :-D

:D

Love that pic, and despite newer design aesthetic, more guns, larger stature, etc. of the 0S and 29 the VF-1S still looks the most bad-ass of the group.

-b.

Thanks! The 1S is the bad-ass, the leader and the 0S and 29 are his entourage. :)

Edited by Saburo

Finally gotten around to photographing my RVF-25 with the Super Packs on. Unfortunately I haven't done anything with the drones yet. They're a little soft (focus wise) because I'm just too lazy to setup a tripod and its all hand-held, I need a better camera!

Enjoy...

post-244-0-71518200-1410975718_thumb.jpgpost-244-0-24379000-1410975720_thumb.jpgpost-244-0-67423600-1410975721_thumb.jpgpost-244-0-10642700-1410975723_thumb.jpgpost-244-0-66889300-1410975724_thumb.jpgpost-244-0-31051900-1410975726_thumb.jpg

Edited by wm cheng

Finally gotten around to photographing my RVF-25 with the Super Packs on. Unfortunately I haven't done anything with the drones yet. They're a little soft (focus wise) because I'm just too lazy to setup a tripod and its all hand-held, I need a better camera!

Enjoy...

attachicon.gifDSC_3015 - resized.jpgattachicon.gifDSC_3017 - resized.jpgattachicon.gifDSC_3022 - resized.jpgattachicon.gifDSC_3023 - resized.jpgattachicon.gifDSC_3033 - resized.jpgattachicon.gifDSC_3036 - resized.jpg

Great shots and the RVF looks awesome! Nikon announced the new D750... its nice!! :D

Edited by Saburo

Thanks! Yes, the D750 is the one I want. Been reading up on it and they've finally put the feature I really want, the articulating screen!!! I just wish it was cheaper as my lenses are all DX and I would have to get new glass as well :(

Well here's my VF-171CF, for some reason a lot of the subtle light weathering didn't seem to show up in photo as it does in person. Even though its such a toublesome Valk (luckily my bottom triangles are just starting to crack, but I'm not transforming this one other than the first time when I got it), I do love this one because its so unique and I'm a sucker for dark planes. The fast packs really add so much to it!

post-244-0-54972500-1410978677_thumb.jpgpost-244-0-94537200-1410978678_thumb.jpgpost-244-0-95519400-1410978680_thumb.jpgpost-244-0-39177700-1410978682_thumb.jpgpost-244-0-75035100-1410978683_thumb.jpgpost-244-0-15635500-1410978685_thumb.jpg

That is amazing work as usual on your RVF and 171!

You especially did a good job with the subtle streaks on the 171's wings. That's something I need to try to get better at. It rarely comes out looking right for me.

As for the DX lenses, they would still work with the a full frame sensor, it's just that the images would be cropped some. If I got a full frame camera, I'd still use my DX lenses until I was able to buy some lenses that took advantage of the larger sensor.

Thanks! Yes, the D750 is the one I want. Been reading up on it and they've finally put the feature I really want, the articulating screen!!! I just wish it was cheaper as my lenses are all DX and I would have to get new glass as well :(

Well here's my VF-171CF, for some reason a lot of the subtle light weathering didn't seem to show up in photo as it does in person. Even though its such a toublesome Valk (luckily my bottom triangles are just starting to crack, but I'm not transforming this one other than the first time when I got it), I do love this one because its so unique and I'm a sucker for dark planes. The fast packs really add so much to it!

attachicon.gifDSC_3037 - resized.jpgattachicon.gifDSC_3039 - resized.jpgattachicon.gifDSC_3040 - resized.jpgattachicon.gifDSC_3041 - resized.jpgattachicon.gifDSC_3047 - resized.jpgattachicon.gifDSC_3051 - resized.jpg

Yet another one of yours I've heard about but have been waiting patiently to see. Awesome work!

That is amazing work as usual on your RVF and 171!

You especially did a good job with the subtle streaks on the 171's wings. That's something I need to try to get better at. It rarely comes out looking right for me.

As for the DX lenses, they would still work with the a full frame sensor, it's just that the images would be cropped some. If I got a full frame camera, I'd still use my DX lenses until I was able to buy some lenses that took advantage of the larger sensor.

Thanks MJ,

The subtle streaking is done with a smudge stick and graphite shavings from a mechanical pencil (much more control).

Yep, the DX lenses do work, but would make a 24Mp D750 into a 10.3Mp camera (plus I wouldn't be able to get as wide). However it would spread out the pain to my wallet over some time though.

Thanks MJ,

The subtle streaking is done with a smudge stick and graphite shavings from a mechanical pencil (much more control).

Yep, the DX lenses do work, but would make a 24Mp D750 into a 10.3Mp camera (plus I wouldn't be able to get as wide). However it would spread out the pain to my wallet over some time though.

The 35-dx lens is pretty kewl on an FX:

http://photographylife.com/using-nikon-dx-lenses-on-fx-cameras

Not sure about the other dx-lenses, tho...

Enjoy...

Lovely as ever boss. Will you be adding a zip file of the full resolution images of the RVF-25 and VF-171?

The site shrinks the resolution down to a fixed size.

Edited by Zinjo

Slowing getting around to the rest of my collection...

I purposely kept the main fighter cleaner and concentrated on more of a shadow/form shading - I figure he doesn't get hit very often :p He abused his booster pack a bit more.

post-244-0-00231900-1411189997_thumb.jpgpost-244-0-22160500-1411189998_thumb.jpgpost-244-0-38992800-1411189999_thumb.jpgpost-244-0-59372700-1411190000_thumb.jpgpost-244-0-69006500-1411190001_thumb.jpgpost-244-0-77515600-1411190002_thumb.jpg