HG and Robotech Debates

So I go to watch Robotech on hulu, and a commercial pops up about getting HPV. So immediately close the window, since it has now been proven that Robotech is the true source of HPV!

That's why I always use condoms or go for long term monogomist relationships.

Pete

So I go to watch Robotech on hulu, and a commercial pops up about getting HPV. So immediately close the window, since it has now been proven that Robotech is the true source of HPV!

I knew it so being a "Macross Purist" doesn't just mean your a Macross fan, it means your a Robotech Virgin! When Roy Focker said "I don't know I guess Robotech just gets in your blood or something." in episode 1 of Robotech he must have been trying to warn viewers that Robotech would rape them and give them STDs like HPV!

That's why I always use condoms or go for long term monogomist relationships.

Pete

Thats great, but what about those of us like me who are allergic to latex and have short term polygomist relationships with female military officers, pilots, aliens, and singing idols?

Edited by Freiflug88

Thats great, but what about those of us like me who are allergic to latex and have short term polygomist relationships with female military officers, pilots, aliens, and singing idols?

Easy. Just stay away from the dubbed ones and you'll be fine :)

Pete

That website totally doesn't want to open. I'm sure I'm missing something exciting. And I did not know that Al Pacino was now doing commercials... but hey - this is the kind of stuff that happens during economic downturns. Even famous actors need money I guess.

Pete

Easy. Just stay away from the dubbed ones and you'll be fine :)

Pete

Its hard. Why would I want to stay away from all the dubbed ones? Especially the ones with the Korean Implants! Its not everyday you can find well endowed dubs that are completely faithful!

Edited by Freiflug88

I speculate his caps lock key is broken.

A distinct possibility to be sure, but how he managed to go from a commercial about a pachinko game to speculation that they'd dusted off Macross: Final Outpost: Earth boggles my mind in a way it probably should not be boggled. Then again, this is the man who, despite a mountain of evidence to the contrary, is claiming that Harmony Gold owns Macross lock, stock, and barrel.

A distinct possibility to be sure, but how he managed to go from a commercial about a pachinko game to speculation that they'd dusted off Macross: Final Outpost: Earth boggles my mind in a way it probably should not be boggled. Then again, this is the man who, despite a mountain of evidence to the contrary, is claiming that Harmony Gold owns Macross lock, stock, and barrel.

I mostly like how it it took him a day or so to figure out they were commercials for the Pachinko game...and then took another day or so to figure out what Pachinko is. ^_^

Also, Seto...if Memo's too lazy to check ANN or Wikipedia on his own, why are you making it easier for him by posting the production information...?

I haven't read all 55 pages of this, so forgive me if this has been brought up and I missed it, but a question occurs to me:

What does it profit BW, HG or WB NOT to make some sort of deal here vis a vis the rights to the Macross designs in question?

BW's already DONE all the work. They need do nothing more than sit back and collect a check. HG (and WB) would have the ability to use the designs in any future projects, getting THOSE off the ground and making THEM money.

Everyone could be making money, but instead they seem bent on arguing over who did what to whom and when...it makes no sense to me. All they need to do is cut a frakking deal and ALL sides win: BW, HG, and WB (if they stay involved) make money, and Robotech fans get more Robotech with the designs they want to see.

Everyone wins and no one loses...

Also, Seto...if Memo's too lazy to check ANN or Wikipedia on his own, why are you making it easier for him by posting the production information...?

Manzai comedy?

"Gives Set Kaiba a harisen"

I haven't read all 55 pages of this, so forgive me if this has been brought up and I missed it, but a question occurs to me:

What does it profit BW, HG or WB NOT to make some sort of deal here vis a vis the rights to the Macross designs in question?

BW's already DONE all the work. They need do nothing more than sit back and collect a check. HG (and WB) would have the ability to use the designs in any future projects, getting THOSE off the ground and making THEM money.

Everyone could be making money, but instead they seem bent on arguing over who did what to whom and when...it makes no sense to me. All they need to do is cut a frakking deal and ALL sides win: BW, HG, and WB (if they stay involved) make money, and Robotech fans get more Robotech with the designs they want to see.

After what HG did they are persona non-grata to Big West.

Edited by RedWolf

(Keith @ Oct 18 2009, 06:32 AM)

I say we al go down to the HG booth during the next AX, hug the HG staff, and tell them "it's ok", that they don't need to pretend anymore, and that their fanbase will understand they have absolutely notihing to give them but regurgitated toys, cell phone games, and empty promises!

Then we'll all go out for pie!!

^_^ What, we're not going to invite TOMMY out for pie?

He'd probably be worried he'd end up WEARING it.

MEMO is definitely a jerk near as I can tell, but is there any reason to be so disrespectful to the Robotch fans and/or production people at HG?

After what HG did they are persona non-grata to Big West.

And just what did they do? I can't seem to find out anyting other than "they pissed BW off"...

Edited by Capt Christopher Donovan

^_^ What, we're not going to invite TOMMY out for pie?

He'd probably be worried he'd end up WEARING it.

MEMO is definitely a jerk near as I can tell, but is there any reason to be so disrespectful to the Robotch fans and/or production people at HG?

And just what did they do? I can't seem to find out anyting other than "they pissed BW off"...

Those are loaded questions, you're better off going to the beginning of this thread... instead of starting the whole debate from ground zero all over again.

Or please someone PM this guy the answer... seriously.

HG declared they own Macross via the license they got from Tatsunoko. Tatsunoko is not the Macross Intellectual Property owner, Big West is.

HG trademarks Macross and declares "Nobody gets to sell any Macross or sequels internationally unless you pay us."

Tatsunoko mostly lost the case in court.

Therefore when HG made their mediocre Shadow Chronicles they can't make any reference to Macross unless they want a lawsuit at their doorstep.

Now if only Big West had the same fire in them as Tsuburaya Productions where they protected their IP and sued Thai company Chaiyo Ltd. for every penny they had.

edit:

From the Archives

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=30858

Edited by RedWolf

Manzai comedy?

"Gives Set Kaiba a harisen"

I actually already have one... he's just too far away for me to use it effectively.

What I posted on RobotechX was for the sake of damage control... we all know what MEMO is like. When he doesn't know the answer to something, and nobody browbeats him with the facts right away, he starts to form insane theories that have no bearing on reality, and then holds those insane theories up as the absolute gospel truth. Truly, MEMO is Robotech's answer to Shaloom. (another big check mark on the "we have one of those too" list)

This thread (mainly) isn't disrespectful to Robotech fans in general... though most of us are somewhat perplexed by their blind devotion to a mostly-dead franchise run by a company that routinely abuses and mistreats them.

Very few Robotech fans ever get singled out for "disrespect" here, and they're pretty much without exception the ones whose borderline-obsessive love of Robotech leads them to act like twits to such an extent that they not only publicly shame themselves, but also their fellow Robotech fans, and further blacken the already dismal reputation of Robotech. The production staff at Harmony Gold isn't much better, since most of them are the ones who are actively engaged in abusing the fanbase, and telling half-truths and spinning tall tales to exaggerate their own importance... like Carl Macek's occasional claims that Macross's creators considered Robotech a huge improvement on the original, or that Studio Nue was working for Harmony Gold "on the Robotech project" when they made Macross, or Kevin McKeever's attempts to make any kind of criticism of Robotech products out to be nothing more than the work of belligerent malcontents who have nothing better to do than complain.

The legal debate in this thread ended ages ago... now it's just a vehicle for industry commentary. We're just making observations about the current state of affairs between Macross and Robotech. It's rather like a happy couple (Macross and Macross fans) watching an abusive relationship (Robotech and Robotech fans) from a distance and wondering vaguely if they should call the cops.

What I posted on RobotechX was for the sake of damage control... we all know what MEMO is like. When he doesn't know the answer to something, and nobody browbeats him with the facts right away, he starts to form insane theories that have no bearing on reality, and then holds those insane theories up as the absolute gospel truth. Truly, MEMO is Robotech's answer to Shaloom. (another big check mark on the "we have one of those too" list)

That makes sense...I was thinking of breaking my silence and posting, "You mean, Carl Macek didn't create it all?" but figured it would be wiser to keep my mouth shut. ^_^

The legal debate in this thread ended ages ago... now it's just a vehicle for industry commentary. We're just making observations about the current state of affairs between Macross and Robotech. It's rather like a happy couple (Macross and Macross fans) watching an abusive relationship (Robotech and Robotech fans) from a distance and wondering vaguely if they should call the cops.

Well put.

The main problem is how the profits should be divided between the creators or the company that holds the rights outside of Japan. HG wants most of it and won't let the original creators' work get into their sphere of influence without forcing a deal in their favor.

I have to say that the waiting game is really bizarre in some corners of HG/Robotch's situation. It's hard to imagine that they keep Macross in Japan sometimes.

To be fair Capt Donovan, MEMO puts himself in a position where criticism is fair game. Apparently, he's been at it for years within the fandom now.

Edited by Einherjar

To be fair Capt Donovan, MEMO puts himself in a position where criticism is fair game. Apparently, he's been at it for years within the fandom now.

Agreed. I admit that I sometimes enjoy poking nasty fun at some of the staff/fans...but only the ones who go out of their way to be obnoxious.

And let's face it, Memo is so easy to parody that it practically BEGS to be done. VFTF1 and HappyPenguins know what I'm talkin' about... ^_^

I actually already have one... he's just too far away for me to use it effectively.

I just find it amazing anybody reads and believes what he writes. Or does he just like the look of his CAPS-LOCK POSTS? (I would say the sound of his voice, but I can't listen to people via the forum... And yes, this is a rhetorical question)

And as a kindly note, please direct all n00bs to read the first post of this thread, then proceed to read our previous threads before they jump back into this thread. The old threads should be required readings. <_<

Start here:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...st&p=779396

This thread (mainly) isn't disrespectful to Robotech fans in general... though most of us are somewhat perplexed by their blind devotion to a mostly-dead franchise run by a company that routinely abuses and mistreats them.

Very few Robotech fans ever get singled out for "disrespect" here, and they're pretty much without exception the ones whose borderline-obsessive love of Robotech leads them to act like twits to such an extent that they not only publicly shame themselves, but also their fellow Robotech fans, and further blacken the already dismal reputation of Robotech. The production staff at Harmony Gold isn't much better, since most of them are the ones who are actively engaged in abusing the fanbase, and telling half-truths and spinning tall tales to exaggerate their own importance... like Carl Macek's occasional claims that Macross's creators considered Robotech a huge improvement on the original, or that Studio Nue was working for Harmony Gold "on the Robotech project" when they made Macross, or Kevin McKeever's attempts to make any kind of criticism of Robotech products out to be nothing more than the work of belligerent malcontents who have nothing better to do than complain.

First off, thank you Gubaba and others for answering my factual question.

That said, Seto, I have to challenge your assertion that the thread is not (or at least cannot be taken) as being disrespectful to Robotech and it's fandom. You only have to go to the current page (55, IIRC) and you have Robotech being compared to the Human Papaloma Virus. In one of the early posts, criticism of Tommy, et al was made that they hired "Robotech fanboys" to write Shadow Chronicles. Other examples could be cited...they aren't hard to find.

I watched the "making of" viginette on the SC dvd, and I didn't see "lies and manipulation", I saw producers, writers, a composer, et al, who loved their craft and loved their project and wanted to make it the best it could be. They were excited about the project, and it showed. And the end result I thought was a fine addition to the Robotech Saga.

It isn't my position that you have to like Robotech. If you prefer the original anime serieses, great. But consider how a Robotech fan, coming across this page by accident, would feel after reading the sorts of posts presented. I came here because I was unhappy with the bredth and depth of conversation to be had over at Robotech.com and Robotechx.com. I asked for advice on another board and was told I might try here, with the caveat that I would have to put up with a certain amount of bad attitude towards Robotech.

I would imagine if I asked a Robotech question (NOT rights related) in any other forum here, I'd not like the responses I'd get, based on what I've seen so far.

Speaking not as just a Robotech fan, but as a fan in general, I have to say that the current apparent tone and attidue don't do credit to Marcross fandom or anime fandom in general. It's like a Trek fan dissing a newbie fan because their introduction to Trek was "Enterprise" (or God forbid, JJ's movie).

A better approach I think would be: "Hey, if that's what you like, more power to you. Discuss away. But if you thought Robotech was good, have you ever seen the original Macross from Japan? I think it's even BETTER..." You catch more flies with honey than vinegar, as the saying goes.

Something you should consider...but it's one man's opinion. I don't claim to speak for anyone but myself.

First off, thank you Gubaba and others for answering my factual question.

You're very welcome.

It isn't my position that you have to like Robotech. If you prefer the original anime serieses, great. But consider how a Robotech fan, coming across this page by accident, would feel after reading the sorts of posts presented. I came here because I was unhappy with the bredth and depth of conversation to be had over at Robotech.com and Robotechx.com. I asked for advice on another board and was told I might try here, with the caveat that I would have to put up with a certain amount of bad attitude towards Robotech.

I would imagine if I asked a Robotech question (NOT rights related) in any other forum here, I'd not like the responses I'd get, based on what I've seen so far.

Well...this is the only thread here for Robotech, so there really isn't any other place on the site to ask Robotech-related questions.

Generally, though, it seems like if you approach Macross World with respect, Macross World will give respect back. While a lot of us really dislike Robotech, we don't antagonize its fans if they don't antagonize us. Though I'm not speaking for everyone here, of course.

Speaking not as just a Robotech fan, but as a fan in general, I have to say that the current apparent tone and attidue don't do credit to Marcross fandom or anime fandom in general. It's like a Trek fan dissing a newbie fan because their introduction to Trek was "Enterprise" (or God forbid, JJ's movie).

A better approach I think would be: "Hey, if that's what you like, more power to you. Discuss away. But if you thought Robotech was good, have you ever seen the original Macross from Japan? I think it's even BETTER..." You catch more flies with honey than vinegar, as the saying goes.

Something you should consider...but it's one man's opinion. I don't claim to speak for anyone but myself.

The battle lines were drawn a long time ago. Robotech seems to have very few "new" fans. And, really, most new Macross fans are coming in through Frontier, rather than through Robotech.

You've got to remember that a lot of us have been through the Macross/Robotech "trying to convert" process many, many times, with many, many people. Personally, as someone who watched Robotech in '85, but knew about Macross since '84, I've had the same conversation about Robotech's origins several dozen times over the last twenty-four years. Now, thanks to the internet, information about Macross is widely and freely available. Hell, there's a stickied thread here about the differences that's been around for almost a decade now.

This thread is where we go to complain, crack jokes, and (rarely) post news. Check out the other threads in the "Movies and TV" section, and you'll find most of us being positive and enthusiastic. Judge us when we're talking about Macross, not when we're talking about Robotech.

I watched the "making of" viginette on the SC dvd, and I didn't see "lies and manipulation", I saw producers, writers, a composer, et al, who loved their craft and loved their project and wanted to make it the best it could be. They were excited about the project, and it showed. And the end result I thought was a fine addition to the Robotech Saga.

Don't believe everything you see or hear on a featurette. Why wouldn't they be excited about a project they worked on? They could have been saying things like that for the viewers' benefit, like what they do today in various ways, when it was actually the opposite. It did take a couple of years to get done.

Edited by Einherjar

Well...this is the only thread here for Robotech, so there really isn't any other place on the site to ask Robotech-related questions.

Personally, I think that's a shame, but it's not my board... :)

The battle lines were drawn a long time ago. Robotech seems to have very few "new" fans. And, really, most new Macross fans are coming in through Frontier, rather than through Robotech.

Again, a shame, because I see value in BOTH incarnations of the material.

You've got to remember that a lot of us have been through the Macross/Robotech "trying to convert" process many, many times, with many, many people.

I'm not out to convert anyone one way or the other...maybe I'm atypical in this respect.

This thread is where we go to complain, crack jokes, and (rarely) post news. Check out the other threads in the "Movies and TV" section, and you'll find most of us being positive and enthusiastic. Judge us when we're talking about Macross, not when we're talking about Robotech.

I may do just that, and see if I can get some of my questions answered "sideways"...assuming I survive the slip usage of Robotech specific terms (I couldn't tell you the Macross names of ANYTHING to save my life)... ;)

Don't believe everything you see or hear on a featurette. Why wouldn't they be excited about a project they worked on? They could have been saying things like that for the viewers' benefit, like what they do today in various ways, when it was actually the opposite. It did take a couple of years to get done.

Why are you assuming they're lying? The question works both ways.

As to why it took years to get done, they first tried for a full series but the distributer/networks wanted too much creative control. I thought it admirable that they made the product THEY wanted to make by fans and for fans as opposed to a watered down "commercial" version any releasing party would have foisted on them.

That said, Seto, I have to challenge your assertion that the thread is not (or at least cannot be taken) as being disrespectful to Robotech and it's fandom. You only have to go to the current page (55, IIRC) and you have Robotech being compared to the Human Papaloma Virus. In one of the early posts, criticism of Tommy, et al was made that they hired "Robotech fanboys" to write Shadow Chronicles. Other examples could be cited...they aren't hard to find.

Clearly your reading comprehension skills leave something to be desired... go back and read my post again.

At no point did I claim or infer that this thread was not critical of Robotech and its "creators" at Harmony Gold. What I DID say was that this thread is, for the most part, not disrespectful to Robotech fans in general. There are some specific fans who, through their asinine behavior, forfeit the right to be treated with respect, but most of us do not bash the fanbase as a whole.

Like Einherjar said, you shouldn't believe everything you hear from them... if you want to see the lies and manipulation, go to one of their panel discussions sometime. If they're going to publish a feature like that on the official DVD, of course they're going to make sure it makes them look good. They'd have to be insane NOT to.

But consider how a Robotech fan, coming across this page by accident, would feel after reading the sorts of posts presented. I came here because I was unhappy with the bredth and depth of conversation to be had over at Robotech.com and Robotechx.com. I asked for advice on another board and was told I might try here, with the caveat that I would have to put up with a certain amount of bad attitude towards Robotech.

I'm going to take a second and point out a glaringly obvious fact that you have somehow overlooked.

This is not a Robotech website.

While doesn't surprise me at all that anyone with half a working brain is dissatisfied with the poor substitutes for real discussion to be had on Robotech.com and RobotechX, this is not a site for Robotech... this is MacrossWorld. If you're coming here looking for stimulating Robotech discussion (if such a thing even exists) then you're in the wrong place. If you're not a Macross fan, or at the very least actively interested in pursuing Macross, you probably won't last very long here. You would do well to consult Section III of the MW Forum Rules & Guidelines.

If a Robotech fan stumbles across this thread by accident and is so incapable of accepting the simple truth that not everybody likes the same things, and that other people might capable of *gasp* making observations and forming their own legitimate opinions about Robotech, then they have far more pressing problems than finding what we have to say offensive.

I get the feeling I'm going to have to remind you of this rather often... this is not a Robotech fansite. I don't mean to tell you your business, but if you want to talk about Robotech (beyond the commentary that occurs here), you'd be better served to go to a Robotech site.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I'm going to take a second and point out a glaringly obvious fact that you have somehow overlooked.

This is not a Robotech website.

While doesn't surprise me at all that anyone with half a working brain is dissatisfied with the poor substitutes for real discussion to be had on Robotech.com and RobotechX, this is not a site for Robotech... this is MacrossWorld. If you're coming here looking for stimulating Robotech discussion (if such a thing even exists) then you're in the wrong place. If you're not a Macross fan, or at the very least actively interested in pursuing Macross, you probably won't last very long here. You would do well to consult Section III of the MW Forum Rules & Guidelines.

If a Robotech fan stumbles across this thread by accident and is so incapable of accepting the simple truth that not everybody likes the same things, and that other people might capable of *gasp* making observations and forming their own legitimate opinions about Robotech, then they have far more pressing problems than finding what we have to say offensive.

I get the feeling I'm going to have to remind you of this rather often... this is not a Robotech fansite. I don't mean to tell you your business, but if you want to talk about Robotech (beyond the commentary that occurs here), you'd be better served to go to a Robotech site.

I think you're being a little hard on the guy, Seto. At this point, it seems like he's rather...unaware of the blood spilled and lives shattered by Macross v. Robotech. If he learns the difference and gets into Macross, great. If he doesn't, he'll likely go elsewhere on his own. No harm no foul.

Some people seem to arrive here with an ax to grind, but I don't sense that from Capt. Donovan (it helps that we've been chatting via PM for the last hour or so). He went to RT.com to ask about the legal stuff, and got a pretty hostile response from Memo (which ended up taking out waters7 and robelwell202), so he came here instead. He's seems open and interested, so what's the problem?

As to why it took years to get done, they first tried for a full series but the distributer/networks wanted too much creative control. I thought it admirable that they made the product THEY wanted to make by fans and for fans as opposed to a watered down "commercial" version any releasing party would have foisted on them.

Is that what they said in the featurette?

Still, they did a lot of unnecessary things with the final product they had complete control over, like 1/3 of the movie being a recap. Of course, there's that continuation argument to fit with the the rest the original 85 episodes. There's also the lack of Rick Hunter in the film which HG heavily advertised, also countered by the argument that this is a New Generation's story and stuff. And then a lot of other stuff that has come up over time that Tommy Yune even acknowledged, like fan service.

There's been a lot of counter arguments made regarding the quality of the movie, not helped by the delay of the sequel.

Edited by Einherjar

Some people seem to arrive here with an ax to grind, but I don't sense that from Capt. Donovan (it helps that we've been chatting via PM for the last hour or so). He went to RT.com to ask about the legal stuff, and got a pretty hostile response from Memo (which ended up taking out waters7 and robelwell202), so he came here instead. He's seems open and interested, so what's the problem?

Took out? You mean more victims of the Memo banhammer? For what? Just asking for legal information? :blink: