1/72 YF-21/VF-22 Hasegawa Battroid Conversion

PsYcHoDyNaMiX

Yea... I know the Yamato 1/60 YF-21 is just around the corner (hopefully), but I just wanted to start this project that I got from Grayson72 (Chad), courtesy of Valkyrie addict (for asking what kit it was then passing on the offer).

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?show...c=21955&hl=

The kit unfortunately seems like the battroid will be capable of a fixed pose, so I'll be looking to modify it and add some joints in (maybe with Wave parts or some other sort... Kotobukiya). Even some LED(s)!!! Damn I don't know why I'm so fixated on the LED idea.

My plan will be to:

1) Fix up the original.

2) Recast it and modify the recast by implementing joints.

3) And maybe recast a couple of those (the fixed ver or jointed ver) for the other VF-22(s) variants (Miria, Gamilin or other Customs).

Yes the conversion kit does require a Hasegawa 1/72 YF-21 or VF-22 kit. It requires some cutting, sawing and other misconstruing techniques.

I'm finishing up with my summer classes and I get a two week break before my (crazy) fall semester starts, so I'll be updating this thread as much as I can. I'll try to post as many progress pics as possible.

Hopefully I can aim to get this conversion done before Yamato releases their YF-21 and yes I'll be looking to chop that one up too. XD

***UPDATE*** Sept 15, 2007

I pulled out the last set that was casted and took a pic. I have a box of at least eight kits waiting to be sorted through and more to be casted. I must say for a first time caster I think they came out pretty good. I'll post more detailed pics of the parts later.

post-4919-1186035783_thumb.jpg

post-4919-1186035791_thumb.jpg

post-4919-1186035802_thumb.jpg

post-4919-1189830544_thumb.jpg

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX

Well you got my atention when you said 1/72 , and I realised you wernt talking toys

hahaha

You're right, I open my eyes everytime when I see the number "1/72" :lol::p

• 1 month later...

Here's some sample pics. All the major flash that you've seen previously (in the bag of parts/layout) have been removed, the mold lines haven't been touched yet, no putty has been applied; it was just drilled, glued and assembled. Oh yea... and as you can see I hacked up a good part of the Hasegawa YF-21 kit. I plan on disassembling this battroid to work on it again in the near future. There's a holding hand and gun (conversion) that's been included with the kit, but I was too lazy to assemble that and put it on.

I still have a few more kits to cast and then I'll sort through the box of parts. When I have an exact number of kits I'll post the prices.

Max

***EDIT***

Oh yea... Thanks for all the comments. XD

post-4919-1190607207_thumb.jpg

post-4919-1190607232_thumb.jpg

post-4919-1190607292_thumb.jpg

post-4919-1190607304_thumb.jpg

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX

Perhaps a short list of those who signed up for a kit would help... You know, so that we know we're all on the list (assuming the price is reasonably affordable) and have not been dropped by accident. Thanks.

I agree. :)

I got a mid term coming up at the end of this week so hopefully the following weekend I can sort through the box of parts and start the list of members.

The listings for these kits will be posted/updated in the FS/Trade section on these forums. I'll keep an updated list of the members and quantities in that thread (when I get an actual kit number). All of you guys who have replied to this thread of course will get first dibs (I'll be sending PMs for confirmation).

***EDIT***

@Valkyrie Addict: Yea, I need to pull up the buried box with all my other S.H.E. Macross kits and stash that VF-11 Fast Pack with the respected kit.

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX

Oh boy. I know for a fact that the amount of resin I originally had would produce about 15 (ish) kits including the test kits. Given that there is a higher demand I'll get some more resin to see if I can meet that demand.

I just finished my midterm and I sorted out five (5) kits from the box of parts earlier in the week. I still need to take the extra flash off of those (less costly on the shipping process). I may have another five during/after the weekend, so maybe by Monday I can start the list of people for the first 10 kits. I'll try to make a list to those who first requested the set(s).

I will be able to make more, but of course it will be in some time given that I'm a FT student. If conditions (weather, scheduling) permit, I can maybe aim to make a kit every day or other day.

Thanks for your time, interest and patience guys.

***EDIT***

@klam1020

Sorry... atm I have no plans on recasting the Wave VF-19S Blazer Valkyrie (Battroid) vinyl kit. I have one and wanted to build it in the past. Maybe sometime next summer I'll get around to recasting more kits. I would definitely like a S.H.E. (Studio Halfeye) original or recast of the VF-19S WF exclusive. Hell if this projects outcome is pleasing I may invest for an original S.H.E. VF-19S kit to recast for wanting MWers (whoever is willing to part with their original). XD Of course with all those screws and parts they would end up having to supply themselves.

Who knows maybe next summer or in the near future people will see recasts of S.H.E.'s VF-11 & VF-22S that I have. XD

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX

Sorry... atm I have no plans on recasting the Wave VF-19S Blazer Valkyrie (Battroid) vinyl kit. I have one and wanted to build it in the past. Maybe sometime next summer I'll get around to recasting more kits. I would definitely like a S.H.E. (Studio Halfeye) original or recast of the VF-19S WF exclusive. Hell if this projects outcome is pleasing I may invest for an original S.H.E. VF-19S kit to recast for wanting MWers (whoever is willing to part with their original). XD Of course with all those screws and parts they would end up having to supply themselves.

Who knows maybe next summer or in the near future people will see recasts of S.H.E.'s VF-11 & VF-22S that I have. XD

errr...if the outcome is pleasing, where are you planning on aquiring this extremely rare WF exclusive kit?? just curious, hehe

errr...if the outcome is pleasing, where are you planning on aquiring this extremely rare WF exclusive kit?? just curious, hehe

Hell if this projects outcome is pleasing I may invest for an original S.H.E. VF-19S kit to recast for wanting MWers (whoever is willing to part with their original).

XD

***EDIT***

OOO Yea... I forgot to mention at a considerably reasonable price at that. I'm guessing maybe more than $500 for the kit. Can't see it going over $1k. -=X

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I'm glad you asked jipe. I actually have 14 bagged up and ready to go, but I still need to finish preparing six (6) more kits for bagging. I need to make 10 more cds which will hold the instructions and reference pictures. I have my midterms coming up this next week and I'm trying to get my school work done in a timely ordinance. I've been pretty much swamped, but hopefully I can start getting the list together of people who've wanted a kit (or two) by sometime next week and start shipping the processed orders by the end of next week.

In any case here's some progress pictures:

NOTE: Red bag contains the six (6) unsorted kits.

post-4919-1192047576_thumb.jpg

post-4919-1192047759_thumb.jpg

Ahhh... yea almost forgot a price for the kit. The original kit cost me $300 (w/o shipping). I recall a member here on the forums selling an original kit for $250 or so (after I got mine). When I checked the prices on Yahoo Japan around the time I got mine they were going for about $200. I figured if a service was used to obtain them from from Yahoo Japan it would range about an additional $35-50 depending the amount/value in play (that's w/o shipping fees) .

I've put in numerous amount of time and expenses towards reproducing these kits. I'm not professional recaster, but being an avid collector of toys and models the casting quality of these kits are pretty damn good (especially for a beginner). Trust me I've put plenty of research into this. XD

So after 15 molds (for about 55 pieces), about 3 hours of casting time (mold preping, pouring, etc) and sorting for each kit, about 40 hours (total) for mold making (rolling out the clay, setting pieces, modifying the molds, etc)...

I was going to go for about $125 originally as an asking price, but that wouldn't even make it anywhere near half of the original WF event price. I'm going to be more fair.

I'm asking for $100 a kit (w/o shipping fees or other fees).

***EDIT***

typos

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX