Lego Anime-style

JELEINEN

I'm really not fan of this 'recent' bionicle stuff but I have to admit that legos greatly improved during the last decade: some impressive stuff has been made possible

For the ones who don't know this site, I recommend to check out BrickShelf once in a while: some of the stuff in there are made by people with great mastering

What impress me the most are the smallest mechas: some of them can be surprisingly expressive despite the lack of details... It's in such case that you recognize authors with real talent, when the constraints and the limitations of size force them into using the smallest pieces and parts to get the best of them

Some cool stuff available 'recently' (do not hesitate to click on 'Next' on the top right to see more pix of the model):

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1478804

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1463156

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1468203

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1442875

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1434756

If only I had time and money... :p

What always gets me about this sort of thing is I remember years ago a cousin of mine got the Lego fan-club magazine, and someone had sent in a Lego armoured car they had made. Lego noted that they liked the work but that they didn't normally like to promote warfare and fighting in their products.

Now, they're talking about "taking out" things with the long-range laser rifle... :rolleyes:

Oh sure...then what is Knights, Pirates etc about? Pirates and soldiers drinknig tea together? =.=

Lego space used to be not about warfare then they had that space line where they fought robots.

There's nothing worse than Western products trying to project a psuedo-Anime style in order to jump on the anime popularily bandwagon to make money.

346863[/snapback]

Yeah! Stupid businesses trying to make money. Wtf is up with that? They should just ignore market trends from now on. :rolleyes:

That said, these look less like Lego and more like straight up toys. Maybe I'm just nostalgic, but I liked the days when you had to actually build your Lego.

There's nothing worse than Western products trying to project a psuedo-Anime style in order to jump on the anime popularily bandwagon to make money.

346863[/snapback]

Yeah! Stupid businesses trying to make money. Wtf is up with that? They should just ignore market trends from now on. :rolleyes:

That said, these look less like Lego and more like straight up toys. Maybe I'm just nostalgic, but I liked the days when you had to actually build your Lego.

346922[/snapback]

I agree with both your points. You gotta sell what people want, and yes, Legos went from interesting building toys, to action figure sets with some removable parts.

346863[/snapback]

346922[/snapback]

Actually, LEGO is quite good about making sure that everything is built. If you were to open a box for one of these, you're just going to see a lot of small parts. If the end result looks like a unified whole, then the guys who designed the set did their job right. In fact, in the last five years, LEGO has gotten even more and more into making sure that their sets are about the building as much as the play afterwards.

Oh sure...then what is Knights, Pirates etc about? Pirates and soldiers drinknig tea together? =.=

Lego space used to be not about warfare then they had that space line where they fought robots.

346899[/snapback]

I remember that stand they used to have against violence, they had space police and smugglers instead of star wars.

This crap sucks.

The whole point of legos was to build stuff.  If I wanted to play with some crappy ass mecha thing I would have bought Exo-Squad toys.

346933[/snapback]

Again, these are sets you build. They are entirely made up of separate pieces. I guess maybe it's because I'm used to LEGO, but I immediately spotted what bricks were used to make them without a problem.

As did I. Lego has come along way since the 80's. After acquiring the Star Wars license in 1999, the company has revolutionized the way it creates models, as well as introducing poseability and motion into them. They have lightened their non-violence stance as is evidenced in the Alpha Team, Dino Attack, Knight's Kingdom, Vikings, and even Bionicle. Even during the early 90's, the Pirates and Imperial sets featured cannons and cutlasses. I don't think the Lego Group will be producing any United Nations sets any time soon.

I have not paid attention to lego blocks in decades... do they still make the big ol' buckets of random pieces, giant city street tiles and huge boxed "universal" sets that just let kids fuel their imagination and go wild or is everything a themed set now?

347076[/snapback]

I know what you mean, and thats exactly the draw I saw with Lego when I was a kid... Now there is nothing left to invent or left the imagination.

I was "too old" for the regular legos when they came out but I did buy a few of the first "adult" lego sets back in the early eighties... the ones that were all like gears and sprockets and things. It was before they made the "Technical" sets that where like cars and stuff. All I remember is going into a toy store and buying a lego motor drive set, a few sets that where just like "universal gears and cogs" and a set that was like a base pad... just a big green field. I must have spent days building little motorized gear messes with those things.

There seem to be a lot of legoheads here in this thread... do they still make those techie gear and cog sets with motors and stuff? I probably should walk down the lego isle next time I'm in a store myself and quit asking questions.

far as i can tell its pretty much just you build their set and anything else you try to make will sucks because they have all these specialized pieces now, there are prbobaly more specialized parts meant to be one tihng and one tihng only than there are regular bricks in todays lego sets, especially the star wars one, i know technic still exists and there is still some motorized stuff, lego has a remote controlled r2d2

far as i can tell its pretty much just you build their set and anything else you try to make will sucks because they have all these specialized pieces now, there are prbobaly more specialized parts meant to be one tihng and one tihng only than there are regular bricks in todays lego sets, especially the star wars one, i know technic still exists and there is still some motorized stuff, lego has a remote controlled r2d2

347108[/snapback]

Sorry man, but this can't be further from the truth. There are entire lines of LEGO sets that don't have a single set model to build (the Creator series is just plain awesome for this). And while there is now a huge variety in brick shapes, there are very, very few that just have a single function.

Now, if you want super specialized pieces and limited building possibilities, then go for Mega Bloks (although they have some admittedly cool looking stuff).

Couldn’t they use more pieces? Recent stuff by Lego looks so simple.

This are anime robots

Loved my Legos when I was a kid. Best toy ever. Too bad they are running out of ideas (if kids today had more imagination they wouldn’t need these gimmicks to sell the blocks though).

Edited by Twoducks