1/72 Variable Super VF-1D

Grayson72

Well I finally finished another kitbash. This is the Bandai Variable VF-1D and the resin WF Corydoras super/strike kit from Japan. While I'm not normally a fan of variable kits, I had this one well before Hasegawa ever released anything and since I spent so much money on the add-on kit I figured what the hell. It was a fun build and a unique subject as well.

I musta built 10 of these back in high-school, what a walk down model building memory lane :lol:

The decals are a combination from the kit and leftover Hasegawa ones. The Hasegawa decals really gave it a lot of detail and realism, I copied the placement of most of them from the Hasegawa super kit. The big VF on the legs isn't cannon but I put them on there for nostalgia reasons.

I gotta hand it to whoever originally engineered this thing, fully variable (though not perfect transformation) working gear, fully poseable. It's quite a feat of engineering especially since these kits are like 20 years old.

The resin add on kit however was a piece of crap and definately not worth the $65 I spent on it. Full of bubbles and warped pieces not to mention missing some parts, it was mostly ripped from the old non transformable super valk kits.

The kit also came with parts for a strike version as well but I thought that was a little too overboard for a 1D. The front section of one of the boosters I had to cutoff and toss because it was so messed up (looked like it was all shriveled). I cut a new part off from an old super valk kit I had (you get to guess which one it is).

The parts that were missing from the kit were all the vernier's for the super armor. I ordered every add-on vernier kit available from HLJ. Two of the packs I recieved had the perfect replacements for the missing pieces so I'm pretty happy with the results.

Anyway, enjoy the pics.

post-198-1122759967_thumb.jpg

post-198-1122759998_thumb.jpg

post-198-1122760011_thumb.jpg

post-198-1122760024_thumb.jpg

post-198-1122760040_thumb.jpg

post-198-1122760056_thumb.jpg

Edited by Grayson72

Nice job! Takes me back.

What's with the White hands though? Gives him a gloved mickey mouse look.

Man...your modeling skills have come so far!  Its neat to look back at your first things...which were nice...but this?!?!  WOW!

315981[/snapback]

Shaweet!

Nice, really, really nice.

This is why I visit these boards. To see work like this, which encourages me to kick myself in the butt and get back to work.

dang.

Great build-up Grayson72, I love to see one of these made by a modeler with your skills. You really know how to bring the best out of an old but still well made kit from the ´80s. Looks very cool with the boosters on. It really shows you can work with resin - even crap resin parts look perfect on your model :D !!

I thought after the arrival of the Hasgawa kits nobody would tackle these old kits anymore - but I always disliked what seems to be kinda canon these days to call every old kit a piece of crap. I knew the IMAI variables were still great pieces of engineering but still I never had the guts to build one in spite of all the unbuilt Hasegawas on my shelf now.

20 years ago I had three of these - the VF-1S, -J Millia Type and -1D. I remember they were great to build but took a lot of time to complete, and I was never satisfied with the look of the Millia Type because the red plastic was almost impossible to paint white (especially with abrush). I was always impressed by the level of details these kits had - back then it was not commonplace for a kit to feature recessed panel lines and a detailed cockpit - the VFs had it all!

I really like the fact that you used the "VF" decals on the feet - all the old kits had them and I felt a bit let down when I discovered Hasegawa dropped them in their new kits. Are they just not considered canon anymore?

Thank you very much for these inspiring pictures of your work, Grayson72!!! I hope this thread will encourage some more people to get some of their vintage kits out and actually build them.

Guest Bromgrev
This is why I visit these boards. To see work like this, which encourages me to kick myself in the butt and get back to work.

316070[/snapback]

I'm sure I have a couple or 5 of these tucked away somewhere ... :)

Excellent work, Grayson, it's nice to see an old kit treated with respect.

Excellent job :o , and on top of that this is a variable kit :ph34r:

I've tried assembling one of Bandai's 1/72 scale kit and I have to say, it is not easy <_< . It doesn't look like those Gundam's snap joint kit :ph34r:

Now, excuse me while I pick up my jaw :p

Growing up in a small town in the South, there were no Takatokou or Bandai VF-1's for sale in the stores (except for Hasbro's repackaged Jetfire). During those dark days, the only other way to get Macross merchandise was to buy the models that had been reissued under the Revell name. For that reason, these kits will always be special to me.

Nice to see one of them done so well. Great job Grayson! :)

May I ask what colors you used? I'd also like to know what airbrush you are currently using. I am thinking of upgrading from my Badger and would like to hear some opinions. Thanks!

Melissa

Hello everyone, can't tell you how much I appreciate your inputs and that you all like it so much. I'll take some more photos tonight of the flightline and the VT-1 and 1D together.

Melissa - the airbrush I use is a Millenium Paasche with the finest tip I can buy. It's the only airbrush I've ever used so I have nothing to compare it to but I've been very happy with it and it's gotten great reviews. The Paasche VL is most similar to the Millenium, in fact it uses all the VL's parts. Ran me 80 bucks.

Colors: (same as the VT-1)

Orange - Gunze Aqueous orange and yellow mixed to the Hasegawa specs

Tan - Gunze Aqueous Radome

Grey - Tamiya German Grey (I just can't bring myself to paint that armor blue like Hase wants)

Main Thrusters - Alclad lacquer steel, pale burnt metal & jet exhaust

All other thrusters - Alclad Lacquer steel

Edited by Grayson72

Guest Bromgrev
Grey - Tamiya German Grey (I just can't bring myself to paint that armor blue like Hase wants)

316252[/snapback]

Heh, same here. And it looks much better for it, too. :)

The comparison pics are great!

I´m just curious about the nosecone of the IMAI 1-D.

I always found the nose on the IMAIs looked best of all the old models with the 1/100 non-variables by ARII being too skinny and the non-variable from IMAI too much downward sloped and raven-like (though it is anime-correct, see Ep.2, looks like they just took that hovering Gerwalk scene as a pattern for the kit!).

Now with the Hasegawa next to it it will no longer win a price for sheer elegance I must say... funny how the slim lines of the Hase models (which are, in fact, very similar in shape to the old 1/100 ARII fighters) have changed my view somewhat, but after all both kits are just interpretations of the original design and I still like both of them! :D