Otakon 04

Impreszive

?????????

I think you want to post this over at the robotech.com boards, we here at macross world don't dictate who holds robotech toys on stage... With that said, this con season has sucked for new anime licensing announcements. No Zero, nor much of anything that has blown me away.

With that said, this con season has sucked for new anime licensing announcements. No Zero, nor much of anything that has blown me away.

I agree. There was speculation that ADV might announce L-Gaim at Otakon, but then they announced absolutely nothing instead, so that was pretty disappointing.

Well Keith, since I am a Macross fan and not a Robotech fan, I will ignore the jab. Folks in the Macross pannel at Otakon were a little upset at the rules that were thrown at them last minute. They weren't even allowed to show the Region 2 DVD of the Macross Movie for crying out loud.....and that was official!

I made the suggestion to raid the newly created Robotech pannel as a damn joke. Chill out please. <_<

Wait, who wouldn't let you guys show DYRL? It's a con! Just take a quick poll before you get started, ask everyone who likes robotech to raise their hands, then throw their asses out. You guys know what tommy yun & co look like, so they too can easily be tossed out. Then watch whatever the hell you want.

Actually, it was Otakon that, at the last moment, would not let me show DYRL since permission had not been obtained from Bandai/Big West.

I contacted the Panels coordinator back in February of this year, and advised that my panel this year would be about the 20th of DYRL etc, and that I planned t show the movie, and it was agreed on, and scheduled as such at that point.

Otakon actually showed DYRL in 35MM back in 1998 or so.

However, they failed to mention that I would need to get permission to show it from Bandai/Big West in order to show the movie, or even clips from the movie. Otakon has a strict no bootlegging policy, so showing the FX boot was out too. They didnt happen upon this until three weeks before the con, when there was just not enough time to try and get permission from a huge company like Bandai/Big West.

I respect their position, with most of the major anime distributors having presence there in the dealer's room, and having industry panels etc, it would not be good for Otakon to allow non-licensed products to be shown during the con.

In all, it was a communications breakdown, avoidable, but it turned out great anyway.

I wish I'd been able to make it to the Macross panel on Friday, unfortunately I was so exhausted, having been up since 2pm on Thursday, that I went back to my hotel to conk out around 9 o'clock or so. I didn't have the energy to move from my table in Artist's Alley to really do much else. But I had a blast at the convention. Otazine seemed to do pretty well, so hopefully there will be another issue, and a lot of people dropped by my table to say hi. I wonder if anyone from these boards did? No one mentioned Macrossworld.

Just wanted to say hey Im a new guy here, and that I too felt a little let down that Otakon wouldnt let you guys show the movie... That panel revitalized me and I had to go down to the dealers room and buy all the remastered DVD's just to make it throught the night....

Welcome!

I was really amazed, we had almost twice the amount of people we had last year, and you guys really kept the questions coming in. Everyone even managed to stump Neil a couple of times!.

Really, a great panel. Hopefully I can find another reason to let Otakon let me do one again next year.

Well, I'm on Panels staff at Otakon, so I can certainly put a good word in for continuing the Macross panel.  Besides, I feel that the Panels coordinator owes me a favor for loading my schedule in such a way that I only had 30 minutes to hit the dealers' room this year. :)

You didn't by chance happen to run a "Lunar" page years ago did you? If so, do you recall the old sega-saturn.com boards?

Edited by Keith

Well, I'm on Panels staff at Otakon, so I can certainly put a good word in for continuing the Macross panel.  Besides, I feel that the Panels coordinator owes me a favor for loading my schedule in such a way that I only had 30 minutes to hit the dealers' room this year. :)

You didn't by chance happen to run a "Lunar" page years ago did you? If so, do you recall the old sega-saturn.com boards?

Yes, I did run a "Lunar" page years ago and I do recall the old sega-saturn.com boards. Actually, I still run the "Lunar" page, although it hasn't been updated in ages (not much new Lunar news these days). :) I don't think I frequented the sega-saturn.com boards, though.

Yes, I did run a "Lunar" page years ago and I do recall the old sega-saturn.com boards. Actually, I still run the "Lunar" page, although it hasn't been updated in ages (not much new Lunar news these days). :) I don't think I frequented the sega-saturn.com boards, though.

I know we used to semi-frequent your page, especially in a day & age when it was hard to come by info of the saturn remakes. I "think" you were one of the first to have up mpeg file downloads of the cut scenes..definately brings back memories.

I know we used to semi-frequent your page, especially in a day & age when it was hard to come by info of the saturn remakes. I "think" you were one of the first to have up mpeg file downloads of the cut scenes..definately brings back memories.

It's possible I did have the first mpeg file downloads of the cut scenes. I had some connections who managed to grab import copies and had digitizer cards way back when. They sent me the movies and I asked for permission to post them.

Of course, nowadays, game sites are a dime a dozen and it seems like anyone can get all these pre-release things long before I can even dream of it. :)

It's also too bad Working Designs turned out to be a company of perv's who preffer to play pinball, stalk women online, & throw out script translations, than to actually release games. It's also too bad Game Arts never did a 3rd game in the series....memories :)

It's also too bad Working Designs turned out to be a company of perv's who preffer to play pinball, stalk women online, & throw out script translations, than to actually release games. It's also too bad Game Arts never did a 3rd game in the series....memories :)

I haven't heard about the stalking women online, etc., though I do know how notoriously slow they are about releasing games. What did they do? :p

?????????

I think you want to post this over at the robotech.com boards, we here at macross world don't dictate who holds robotech toys on stage... With that said, this con season has sucked for new anime licensing announcements. No Zero, nor much of anything that has blown me away.

agreed. glad I missed ax this year.