Who is buying DOOM 3?

ogami

got it today, running on:

AMD 2400 XP

512 DDR ram of moderate quality

geforce fx 5200 128 meg version

runs pretty well at 640x480, haven't run into more than 3 zombies at once and no chop... graphics are just amazing... wish I had a super computer so I can see all the eye candy at high res with some nice AA going on.

I'm running an ATI card like a few others on here (ATI Raedon 9800 Pro) and have yet to encounter one problem. A few of the gamers in my office got their copies on Friday and we set up a network game then... we only had one computer have trouble running the game and that was with an nVidia card.

I think just like all games some people have systems that just have one small thing different in them somewhere, buried in their OS or their hardware configuration that the game just freaks on. The system at our office that is malfunctioning and crashing when playing the game has ideal hardware according to the system requirements... but the geeks told us all it takes is one little thing like a comm port at the wrong address or an out of date driver to send the whole house of cards down on you.

... oh and Doom3 on a LAN is the SHIZ-NITE.  :p

Just to clarify. . . I was in no way stating that ATI cards don't work with Doom3.

However, if your computer is having trouble, and it has an ATI video card, you might want to try one of those two tricks if you just want it to work.

Personally, though. . . they both seem like stop-gap solutions to me. I'd just wipe the hard drive and reinstall Windows XP. Nothing like a nice fresh computer. ;)

BTW, I'm one of those "geeks." I'm a network systems administrator. :)

Your geek mentioned COM ports!?! What is this? 1997? :lol:

Not that modern computers don't have COM ports. Most do. . . but that's sorta like blaming IRQs nowadays. . . they rarely cause trouble these days (because of ACPI). But back in the day, if you had random reboots or system lock-ups. . . first thing you thought was "IRQ conflict."

More often than not, instability in a game will be due to the video card (or motherboard or audio driver, but usually video) drivers being mixed up with older versions of the same driver. In other words, the newest driver only partially overwrote the older stuff.

So, all kidding aside, without doing either of those two "tinkering and praying solutions", first thing to do in Max's situation would actually be to uninstall the video drivers using the standard control panel uninstall utility built into the dirvers. Then, for good measure, run driver cleaner or something similar (but driver cleaner is a good one). Then install the newest drivers from ATI or NVIDIA's website. If still causing trouble, get the newest motherboard chipset drivers and/or sound card drivers. If still crapping out, I'd just wipe the hard drive and reinstall XP (or 2000, whatever).

H

Edited by Hurin

Just shows how old I am. Last computer thing I learned was in a community college adult education class in 97 in Texas. Since then I never bother to learn all the new computer junk, it's easier to just hire someone at my business and have them take care of it.

The COMM port thing was my own useage of geekspeak, I had no clue what our compu-dork was saying when he was trying to fix our game for us... but I did hear the words "port", "computer" and the typical office tech geek arrogance. I swear, if I could find some tech guys that know their stuff and are not insufferable asses I would hire them in a minute and drop these current guys I have. Do they teach that in tech school? Do they go from computer building 101 to how to look down on others and belittle them 101? :p You would think they would be a bit more happy and nice to the guy who signs their checks...

Do they teach that in tech school? Do they go from computer building 101 to how to look down on others and belittle them 101?  :p

I wouldn't know. I never took a tech class in my life. :lol:

When I consult on hiring tech people for other departments, I actually look for people who haven't been formally schooled. Stay away from people who have taken "business college" classes in computer administration or have "Microsoft Certifications." Generally speaking, these are people who just looked in the paper and said: "Hey, Systems Administration pays well. I'll be one of those." But you can't really teach the sort of mindset that makes a good helpdesk and/or sysadmin. Instead, I look for guys who are just. . . well. . . geeks. Guys that love the stuff and do it in their spare time. . . and who game and get excited about new technologies that make their games better. Basically, if you have a guy who can build a kick-ass gaming computer, install the OS and drivers properly. . . and tweak it for optimum performance. . . you've got a guy who --while he may not know all the answers off the top of his head-- is capable of handing just about anything that comes up.

I went from being just a gaming geek who got a job at a local Internet Service Provider. . . to a roaming "consultant" for a local networking company. To being in charge of a large corporate network. Now, I've got a mellow, cushie job as the Network Admin for a small department at a university (it's nice to not have to worry about the CEO screaming if something goes wrong). . . nothing terribly complex. Four Win2003 Servers and about sixty workstations. :D

Anyways, not to toot my own horn. . . but despite what might have seemed like arrogance above where I made fun of "COM Ports". . . I try to remember what it was like before I became a total geek. . . and I'm careful to not make my users (techno-phobic college professors) feel intimidated or talked-down-to when they come to me for help. Heck, I've got one lady professor who actually breaks down in tears every time she can't do something correctly on her computer. Literally. My two predecessors were the types of people you described (by all reports). The funny thing is, I've been told that I'm four times as nice and patient as they are. . . but that I know about ten times as much. Yes, that sounds arrogant and self-promoting. . . but I really do strive to not make my users feel like idiots just because I happen to be a total f'ing geek and they aren't.

So, to sum up. . . the more arrogant and annoying your tech person is. . . the more insecure he is about being found out to be just "winging it" and exposed as not knowing as much as he would like.

If you can, find a tech guy you trust and like. . . and have him sit in on any interviews you do for any further tech guys you hire. We know how to smell our own. :lol:

Just my 2 cents. :)

Now, getting back to Doom. Dude, I must have gotten goose-bumps about ten times last night. I think I'm close to finishing it.

H

P.S. Sorry to drag this so far off topic. If you sensed any arrogance or a-hole-ishness in my earlier post, its source was the embarassment I felt for passing on such flippant advice without any real substance that could be easily misinterpreted. Your post pointed out to me that I was coming off as somewhat of a noob, so I over-compsenated in the other direction. . . and engaged in the "Oh yeah. . . well let me throw some acronyms out there to prove I'm a genius" crap that I hate.

Edited by Hurin

Is it just me, or is the game very, very, green? I'm seeing green hues all over the place. My first guess is that it's due to my radeon 9000 not being directx 9 compatible. But did anyone else encounter a similar problem?

EDIT: Added a pic... most of the game looks like this

You've got mipmap coloring enabled. Disable it.

first thing to do in Max's situation would actually be to uninstall the video drivers using the standard control panel uninstall utility built into the dirvers.  Then, for good measure, run driver cleaner or something similar (but driver cleaner is a good one).  Then install the newest drivers from ATI or NVIDIA's website.  If still causing trouble, get the newest motherboard chipset drivers and/or sound card drivers.  If still crapping out, I'd just wipe the hard drive and reinstall XP (or 2000, whatever).

Couldn't have said it better.

And come on, COM ports? That WAS funny.

Oh, and I think there's a heat issue in my apt. Looking into cooling solutions... but I think I can just wait until I get back to the dorms and outta this hell hole... :)

I did not mean to burn anyone's buns on this... it's just that to us "outsiders" (read not tech geeks), tech geeks can come off as arrogant know-it-alls that just love to shove things down our throats even when they are being nice... and also to them I'm that CEO yelling his head off at them when things blow up. We're just from different worlds... I'm from the world of bottom lines, client meetings, deadlines and layout specs and they are from a world of ones and zeros that changes so often you'd think it was the leader of a contested banana republic. On a lot of levels I respect what they can do but when you get the attitude with it you sort of lose a lot of that respect. And on the flip side of the coin all they see is me in my suit shaking hands, walking around calling people "sport" and "dude" and asking everyone where their current project is... oh and breaking "their" computers. :p

Well, finally sat down to get Doom 3 to work. Seems that I've gotten my card to stay stable for at least a good while. I think it also has something to do with the fact that its no longer over 100 degrees in the apartment. In any case, this game is a blast and I highly recommend it.

finally got a friend to Fed-Ex a copy to me.... really, really hate different release dates across the globe....

Right now I'm loving the game, the flashlight/pistol switching early on really set the atmosphere for the game. In the end I still got the duct tape mod, which doesn't really break the game much, since the radius of the light is a lot smaller and more concentrated, helps with aiming, but that's it. I still found myself hauling out the flashlight since you actually see LESS with the duct tape mod.

Somehow I see a System Shock 2 TC coming...

Is it just me, or is the game very, very, green? I'm seeing green hues all over the place. My first guess is that it's due to my radeon 9000 not being directx 9 compatible. But did anyone else encounter a similar problem?

EDIT: Added a pic... most of the game looks like this

You've got mipmap coloring enabled. Disable it.

Thanks for the tip. But I actually got the game working properly again after installing ATI's Doom Beta drivers (4.9). That seems to have fixed the lighting problem.

But just for future reference, how do I disable mipmap?

But just for future reference, how do I disable mipmap?

All your OpenGL and Direct3D settings are Advanced Display Properties menu. Right-click the desktop, hit Properties, hit the Settings tab, hit Advanced.

Alternatively, you could use a third party program like Powerstrip. Actually, I recommend that. It's much easier to tweak settings that way.

I did not mean to burn anyone's buns on this... it's just that to us "outsiders" (read not tech geeks), tech geeks can come off as arrogant know-it-alls that just love to shove things down our throats even when they are being nice... and also to them I'm that CEO yelling his head off at them when things blow up. We're just from different worlds... I'm from the world of bottom lines, client meetings, deadlines and layout specs and they are from a world of ones and zeros that changes so often you'd think it was the leader of a contested banana republic. On a lot of levels I respect what they can do but when you get the attitude with it you sort of lose a lot of that respect. And on the flip side of the coin all they see is me in my suit shaking hands, walking around calling people "sport" and "dude" and asking everyone where their current project is... oh and breaking "their" computers. :p

We "tech geeks" just have a hard time grasping why normal people have such a hard time grasping how computers work or how to work their computers :)

Really, it doesn't take a rocket scientist.

If my grandma can do it. So can you.

Unless you are in programming and development, there is very little math and you would never even see the ones and zeros. It's all point n' click.

It's not that non geeks can't figure it out, it's that we simply don't feel we need to know it. I know I could learn it all if I wanted but I don't want to, it does not interest me. That is the main reason many people like me do not learn computers super hard core like a lot of people today. I don't want to learn about them, they are boring in my mind. I like what I can do on computers but I don't care to know how they work or how to work on them. The opposite is true for most people I know and cars. I grew up building engines, not motherboards and if people want to learn about cars and how they work they are just as easy as computers... some say even easier. But most computer geeks I know are stumped when it comes to cars and most can't even change their own oil. Or more to the point most don't want to. It all comes down to what you like and how much you want to know about something. I like cars and go out of my way to tinker on them... computers on the other hand I could care less about. As long as they fire up when I turn the key there could be a hamster on a wheel in there for all I care.

Have to add my 2 cents worth on the arrogant geek topic.

The techies you describe are very inept at social interaction, but they are not a-holes because they want to, but because they invest their time in things they like, namely computers/games, instead of things they don't like or are scared of, like the world outside or people who they don't share interests with.

It's actually very hard for them because they have such a limited view on life. Some learn, some don't. There's enough of them out there, though, so you can always fire them and hire some others. They'll learn their responsibilities towards their boss faster when they are shown their limits.

As for the "not willing to learn because I don't care part", it's exactly that what pisses them off. They have to learn all the other stuff that's so hard for them (like leading a life), that you can do. But you can't be bothered to just take look at your configuration screens. It's not that they learn all this techie stuff in school or University, you know. They just have a knack for figuring that stuff out themselves.

Most times I've seen techies frown and be arrogant towards others is when these people (their customers/friends/coworkers) ask them for really mundane stuff. Like, the stuff the techie doesn't want to know, but can find out in about 30 seconds if he must. He doesn't know what your business software does, and he doesn't care. But he knows how to install and maintain it and thinks it's idiotic that people pay for this stuff, because it's so easy and self-explaining. Nobody gets paid for the interesting parts, of course.

Some figure out that they can earn more money by being nice to their customers. But some don't want to be nice because they get asked the same questions every f**ing day by their bosses, their customers, their relatives, their SO's... It's like you get ambushed every minute of your life by everyone you know. Just because all of these people don't bother to open their eyes. And geeks are too weak to say no.

Imaging being a lawyer and giving everyone free consulting services. Or a doctor that has a 24 hour 7 days open practice. Geeks have to learn their time has value. Nobody asks an architect how to build a garage at home every evening. If you have learned more social skills than computer skills, be thankful for that.

Edited by Geissler

Yay! Time to shottie it up. Not because I can't aim, but because ever since back in the day I've been all about Hicks style 'close encounters' and adding up that pellet damage... ramming the shotty in imp faces rules. :)

I'm playin on the hardest difficulty possible for me at this point. Its been really fun so far! I sorta feel bad for the monsters though because when I'm not using the shotty, I'm using the pistol(pity I can't get the hallowed Desert Eagle or USP from CS, then they'd really be in trouble!) the machine gun seems sucky. :(

Have to add my 2 cents worth on the arrogant geek topic.

The techies you describe are very inept at social interaction, but they are not a-holes because they want to, but because they invest their time in things they like, namely computers/games, instead of things they don't like or are scared of, like the world outside or people who they don't share interests with.

It's actually very hard for them because they have such a limited view on life. Some learn, some don't. There's enough of them out there, though, so you can always fire them and hire some others. They'll learn their responsibilities towards their boss faster when they are shown their limits.

As for the "not willing to learn because I don't care part", it's exactly that what pisses them off. They have to learn all the other stuff that's so hard for them (like leading a life), that you can do. But you can't be bothered to just take look at your configuration screens. It's not that they learn all this techie stuff in school or University, you know. They just have a knack for figuring that stuff out themselves.

Most times I've seen techies frown and be arrogant towards others is when these people (their customers/friends/coworkers) ask them for really mundane stuff. Like, the stuff the techie doesn't want to know, but can find out in about 30 seconds if he must. He doesn't know what your business software does, and he doesn't care. But he knows how to install and maintain it and thinks it's idiotic that people pay for this stuff, because it's so easy and self-explaining. Nobody gets paid for the interesting parts, of course.

Some figure out that they can earn more money by being nice to their customers. But some don't want to be nice because they get asked the same questions every f**ing day by their bosses, their customers, their relatives, their SO's... It's like you get ambushed every minute of your life by everyone you know. Just because all of these people don't bother to open their eyes. And geeks are too weak to say no.

Imaging being a lawyer and giving everyone free consulting services. Or a doctor that has a 24 hour 7 days open practice. Geeks have to learn their time has value. Nobody asks an architect how to build a garage at home every evening. If you have learned more social skills than computer skills, be thankful for that.

hmmm. i was like saying something about the gunsounds... I just got more geek replies in return...

For god sakes... what I wanted was that the gunsound sound powerfull like a real shotgun so it gives me more joy to shoot it. Wether it sounds heavier or not the gunpower itself does not change... and I'm not interested in that because that's not what i'm aiming for in previous posts.

Man if I gave those replies to my boss at office he would shout at me telling him so much crap around the subject not being straight forward.

Have you ever shoot a real gun? A little gun blow your ears in reality.

Edited by Kin

Yay! Time to shottie it up. Not because I can't aim, but because ever since back in the day I've been all about Hicks style 'close encounters' and adding up that pellet damage... ramming the shotty in imp faces rules. :)

I'm playin on the hardest difficulty possible for me at this point. Its been really fun so far! I sorta feel bad for the monsters though because when I'm not using the shotty, I'm using the pistol(pity I can't get the hallowed Desert Eagle or USP from CS, then they'd really be in trouble!) the machine gun seems sucky. :(

indeed, the machine ain't worth shight. at best its decent against zombies just because you can fire from somewhat of a distance but i prefer the shottie....but hey, the chain gun ain't too bad either. :D the pistol seems to work the best for the spiders...as long as you got good aim, its one shot, one kill. :ph34r:

the games pretty straight forward so i don't have complaints about getting lost or going the wrong way but changing the right click(mouse2) into the flashlight was a must.....i was getting rocked for a minute cause of that. i should be finished with the game in a couple of days, i'm trying not to kill it in one sitting.

good stuff! and mad free! ;):D:lol:

as far as the techie issue goes, i have a little story to put these people in place.

i was working for a dotcom a while back and we had a so called "techie" there. well as with most techies, he did come across arrogant at times and definitely thought he was the man...so i had to teach him a lesson. :D

so i wated for him to go to the bathroom and i simply loosened the plug to his keyboard ever so slightly, it was still plugged in enough so he couldn't tell, but enough that there wasn't a connection.

so me and the rest of my office watched him go nuts for a good 30 minutes trying to figure out what was wrong, banging the table, the computer, his head. by the time he restarted his computer the 7th, i could tell he was about to go postal and everyone in the office was shaking from laughter trying to hold it in.

so i walk up and say "whats wrong dude?"

he replies, "cheap ass f-in computer won't start and i don't know whats wrong with it?"

i'm like, "well i'm no techie but let me take a look."

so hes all like, "whatever man, you ain't gonna figure it out, what do you know about computers, you're the buyer here."

"let me just check one thing, i got a trick or two"....

so i plugged his keyboard back in and his computer started to work but by that point, i couldn't keep a straight face and the whole office, inlcuding the CEO of the company was rolling, even our humourless 55 year old CFO was dying. :lol::lol::lol:

well, that pretty much put him in his place and he chilled out on everyone after that. :D office pranks...good stuff! :lol:

hmmm. i was like saying something about the gunsounds... I just got more geek replies in return...

For god sakes... what I wanted was that the gunsound sound powerfull like a real shotgun so it gives me more joy to shoot it. Wether it sounds heavier or not the gunpower itself does not change... and I'm not interested in that because that's not what i'm aiming for in previous posts.

Man if I gave those replies to my boss at office he would shout at me telling him so much crap around the subject not being straight forward.

Have you ever shoot a real gun? A little gun blow your ears in reality.

Um... the sound is all in your speakers dude. I don't know dork about computers but I know a buttload about audio/video junk (being an audiophile myself... yes an audiophile is a close clone of a computer geek but we speak in watts and resolutions not bits and bytes).

I have a 5.1 DTS system for my computer with almost a grand in power output with a woofer the size of my cat under the desk. With the music set medium and the sound effects set high when I shoot around in Doom 3 you feel it in your chest thanks to that woofer. To be truthful the sounds of the weapons are muted a bit but that is so the player does not get a headache in the first ten minutes of play. Games are designed to be fun, not realistic. If the gunshots would be close to real in volume then they would blow out all the other sounds... plus keep in mind the whole game takes place in what is in effect a large metal room. A true gunshot indoors with all those hard surfaces would damage your hearing in seconds... plus for all we know your player character has earplugs in.

I can only think of one game that approximated weapons noise correctly and that was a stinker multiplayer counterstrike clone called Global Operations. The game recreated gun report so accurately that it even included the audible "ringing in your ears" if you fired off too many rounds in tight spaces... let's just say that got really, really annoying really fast. You want to enjoy the game and not spend time covering your ears. Shooting real firearms is more about the jolt of the recoil and not the sound in the end. That is what bothers me the most about FPS games... the disconneciton with the gun, you can't "Feel" the shot.

I can only think of one game that approximated weapons noise correctly and that was a stinker multiplayer counterstrike clone called Global Operations. The game recreated gun report so accurately that it even included the audible "ringing in your ears" if you fired off too many rounds in tight spaces... let's just say that got really, really annoying really fast.

i played this game at my friends house and it was cool for about 10 minutes. :blink: its one thing if i have to deal with the ringing if i'm firing a real gun but i definitely didn't feel the need to hear a fake ringing in the background of a video game.

besides, in my(limited) experience, its the handguns that make the most noise. rifles even shotguns aren't as bad or atleast i consider them a different kind of "loud". i was shooting off my friends 38 and i was like "what? i can't hear you"...it was so friggin loud, everyone had to scream for a minute. then i shot off his SKS(a full clip) and i could have a conversation with him without screaming at all.

Edited by haterist

What bothers me is having about 30 life and approximately 2 bullets per weapon(except the trusty side-arm) while things I need to kill are running around.

I like this game though. I like how it reminds of of SS2 in a way. Oh... besides the USELESS PDA... like seriously... in SS2 my roomie and I were constantly playing the diaries we found(well, new ones) but this PDA has BORING stuff in it that is useless to boot. :-/

Once the sh!t hits the fan though... I hit my trusty dash button and take the game from SS2's plodding pace to DOOM's lightspeed blasting. :) I like how they kept the core gameplay essentially unchanged, but has atmosphere in spades. Kinda like the old game... I wonder if they will have the faces on the walls... :)

It's not that non geeks can't figure it out, it's that we simply don't feel we need to know it. I know I could learn it all if I wanted but I don't want to, it does not interest me. That is the main reason many people like me do not learn computers super hard core like a lot of people today. I don't want to learn about them, they are boring in my mind. I like what I can do on computers but I don't care to know how they work or how to work on them. The opposite is true for most people I know and cars. I grew up building engines, not motherboards and if people want to learn about cars and how they work they are just as easy as computers... some say even easier. But most computer geeks I know are stumped when it comes to cars and most can't even change their own oil. Or more to the point most don't want to. It all comes down to what you like and how much you want to know about something. I like cars and go out of my way to tinker on them... computers on the other hand I could care less about. As long as they fire up when I turn the key there could be a hamster on a wheel in there for all I care.

That about says it all. . . perfectly.

And it ties into what I am saying. Generally, your "better" computer geeks and consultants are the guys who get a charge out of just screwing around with tehcnology, setting up networks, etc. They only know this stuff because they enjoy it. And rather than get pissy at people who refuse to learn it and/or annoy us by asking "mundane" questions, we should be thanking our f'ing stars that we're able to make a living doing something we love for people who are willing to pay us for our enthusiasm and interests.

Your well-adjusted, non-socially-awkward geeks (and I consider myself one. . . message board arguments aside) understand this. Further, I feel sorry for places that have a stereotypical computer nerd for their techie. We aren't all skinny guys w/ pocket protectors anymore. Some of us even leave the house! ;)

The best group of guys I've worked with were the guys in the tech support pool at our local ISP. We had our punk rock singer, our Macintosh artist guy, our wannabe pilot, our trust-fund preppie guy, and of course, our gay manager. Seriously, it was an eclectic mix. . . but we all knew our sh*t and we were damned good on the phone. Eventually we all moved on when the company was bought by a larger corporation, the service started suffering, and tech support became a living hell (and no flashlight!). But each and every one of these guys is still in IT somewhere. . . and you'd never know by looking at them.

Basically, I don't know many IT professionals who are as socially inept as some here have described. Maybe it's where I live. Techies here are just regular guys. :)

H

Oh, and I find the machine gun to be good in situations where you can run backwards and just unload on something that rushing towards you. You'll usually get them before they reach you, and you won't waste any ammo from any other weapons.

I use it against those things that look like imps but always run on all fours and just tear you up when they reach you. MG is also good against those guys that shoot some tentacle out of their arms. Sorry that I don't know the names.

H

Oh, and I find the machine gun to be good in situations where you can run backwards and just unload on something that rushing towards you. You'll usually get them before they reach you, and you won't waste any ammo from any other weapons.

I use it against those things that look like imps but always run on all fours and just tear you up when they reach you. MG is also good against those guys that shoot some tentacle out of their arms. Sorry that I don't know the names.

H

hehe

I can't just unload on them anymore. I find myself bursting into their heads... except unlike CS.. they keep coming. lol

I dunno... those crawly impy dudes seem to go away after I feel em Lead Puffs for breakfast with the shotty. The machine gun is good for those "freak out" moments when my shotty runs outta ammo... I use the smg to cover my ass while I book outta there to plot.

I can imagine this engine being used for AVP, System Shock, and Theif quite effectively. The possibilities seem endless.

H

Machine gun is good for long ranges since its fairly quite accurate where the shotty can't reach. Otherwise, Shotty > all. Kills a pinky with 2 shots, kills about anything else (that's not huge) with one closeup shot. The way it spreads is abit dodgy though. This is the future fer crying out loud. Even present day shot guns don't spread so much that only 1 pellet hits a target 5 feet away.

PS: I think you could've sniped with doom 1 shotty. XD

what bothered me is that the opponenent's weapon sounded louder than mine :huh:

In real life that can happen like that. Firearms create directional noise, in most cases the noise of the shot travels forward with the bullet and the shooter only gets part of "hit" of the noise. Hence why weapons with short barrels sound really f'ing loud... because the noise is hitting you sooner and in more force than it is with a longer barrelled weapon. Plus I have been told that troops and cops can have something called "combat conditioning" where they can almost tone out the sound of their own weapon and allies weapons and hear that lone AK chattering away in the middle of a furball. I honestly can say I was not in enough combat to tell the difference between ours and theirs but I know a guy who can sit in his car at the rifle range and just by the sounds rifles make he can give you the make and caliber.

I myself can't really notice that much of a difference in the sounds between the player weapons and the enemy weapons, other than the spacial distortions that the EAX causes. My main complaint so far in the sound editing for the game is that droning hum noise the facility makes combined with just waaaaay too much ambient noises and sounds. It was interesting at first but now it is just becomming so much extra crap you have to filter out to hear that imp or zombie thing creeping up on you.

The shotty has been my favorite weapon in the Doom and Quake games.

Is there location based damage in this game? I was just wondering, because I've been trying to nail headshots out of habit... and was curious if it was worth it. :)

I don't think the game has location based damage... I always try for headshots on slow targets like the simple unarmed zombies and it still takes three solid hits from the pistol to drop them... head shot or no head shot. The only damage scalar system that seems to be in place is the same distance vs. type one they had in the original doom. Far away the shotgun pisses your target off but up close it splatterizes them.

Doom 3 has a per-pixel hit system for animation purposes. But as far as actual locational damage goes, it's in, but it's not as important as in more realistic games. For example, you can kill a zombie in 2-3 pistol shots to the head, or 5-6 to the chest.

I hate saying this, but the overall point is that you're some weak human against demons and their spawn, so id tried to keep things challenging.

The way it spreads is abit dodgy though. This is the future fer crying out loud. Even present day shot guns don't spread so much that only 1 pellet hits a target 5 feet away.

It's an id video game... gameplay mechanics are more important than realism. There's always Half-life 2 if you want true realism.

The way it spreads is abit dodgy though. This is the future fer crying out loud. Even present day shot guns don't spread so much that only 1 pellet hits a target 5 feet away.

It's an id video game... gameplay mechanics are more important than realism. There's always Half-life 2 if you want true realism.

I don't really want that much realism...but keep things within "belivable" bounds. The shotty is pretty useless anymore than 4-5 feet which is pretty silly. But in any case yeah, I'm looking forward to HL2 for more intuitive play.