Who is buying DOOM 3?

ogami

If you wanna lecture about piracy, then buying yammies in the states would be considerd piracy as well....wouldn't it?

piracy == bad.

yeah sure. <_< For the mega corporations maybe.

Joke's on you. You're probably the only one buying Yammies between the two of you. Like I, he's not a toy man. A real man is a model man.

If you wanna lecture about piracy, then buying yammies in the states would be considerd piracy as well....wouldn't it?

piracy == bad.

yeah sure.  <_<  For the mega corporations maybe.

Joke's on you. You're probably the only one buying Yammies between the two of you. Like I, he's not a toy man. A real man is a model man.

He doesn't have to be a toy man. Just that if he wanna lecture about piracy, this whole board (if not the whole world) thrives on it. Just making a point about "holier than thou" statement.

Disregard...dun wanna start OT arguments. Anyway again, depressed can't run Doom 3. Boohooo!

No it wouldn't. You are still buying the product, and the maker of the product in question is still recieving support by way of the purchase being made. If you were buying a cheap knock-off of Yamato's toys, where Yamato gets no support from your purchase, then that would be akin to buying a bootleg DVD, which is pretty much on the same level as piracy.

As for me, I see no problem with someone downloading a game, fansub of an anime, or anything like that, so much as they do purchase it should the product be worth the person deciding to keep it.

As for the whole "toys are for kids" argument coming from a bunch of people drooling over a videogame, on a board dedicated to a cartoon show...well, I certainly hope they are being made with tongue firmly applied to cheek.

have no problem with d/l fansubs of shows that aren't licensed here in the States... specially if that show is a TV show.

and I have a hard time with the price of DVDs of movies and anime... these are shows the producers and all involved already made their money on, putting it on DVD and adding menus should not freaking cost us 15 bucks... specially anime costing ten bucks more than movies. insane pricing and for a lot of times, really shoddy craftsmanship.

I know, that does not justify theft, and thus, I don't get divx of movies and licensed anime.. but hey, if there is no license in the states, it's fair game.

I think I shall buy it. Sure, I'd probably be forsaking the rest of my semester playing it, but yeah. :lol:

Damn you RK with an uber computer. My P4 2.0 lags like poo.

I am definitely going to get this game (been waiting a long time for it) but along with some others on this board, I first need a system that can run it...But when I finally put my new computer together, DOOM 3 will be number one on my things to get list.

hm.. gonna try and download the demo or something if its out. If it doesn't work, I will get it for Xbox, but UGH, FPS on Xbox aint the same as being poo scared in the dark on the PC with MOUSE/KEYBOUND interaction yeh!

I remember watching a mate playing Aliens on PC with surround sound, having an alien jump out of nowhere and him almost hitting the roof from his chair he jumped so high! damn funny stuff...hehe

I love being scared in games or movies, lets u know ur alive!

Im looking forward to this, but really dont know if my XP2600 and nvidiaFX5200 128MB will go well.

Fingers crossed B))

I just got my copy of Doom3 today - - actually my gf got it for me; it was a surprise :D

Anyways, the good thing is that it runs great on my slower machine:

P4 2.0A (400FSB)

512MB DDR

GF3 TI500 64MB

It always stays smooth enough to play. I'll install it on my faster comp tomorrow. The game makes me jump, its dark, its scary. But, it could get repetetive soon b/c I'm not really into the whole corridor game thing. So far its pretty exciting. I'm going to try out the MP and see how that goes.

Anyone else get their copy yet?

got mine actually today, but while it looks pretty when im not moving, it jerks around on my system.

Im thinking of upgrading something then, any input as to what would benifit me the most would be most welcome!

I have

AMD XP2600

1GB Ram

Nvidia 128mb FX5200

plenty of HDD space.

so to anyone more tech than me, what should I upgrade on this ? sorry if i sound dumbarse

got mine actually today, but while it looks pretty when im not moving, it jerks around on my system.

Im thinking of upgrading something then, any input as to what would benifit me the most would be most welcome!

I have

AMD XP2600

1GB Ram

Nvidia 128mb FX5200

plenty of HDD space.

so to anyone more tech than me, what should I upgrade on this ? sorry if i sound dumbarse

I would upgrade your Video Card, get at least a ATI Radeon 9600 Pro or XT with 128mb.

thanks. checking it out now.

as for downloads, there has been heaps of torrents like on suprnova.org and so forth, but i couldn't wait so i had to buy it!

now im frustrated cuz its jerky sigh*

anyone in aust found a cheap place for this vid cards ?*sigh*

Got Doom 3 today, and the game installed fine... Except, it doesn't want to work. It loads up properly, but when I go and try to start a new game, the load screen comes up, finishes, and then drops back to the desktop... So far, I'm NOT impressed.

www.newegg.com is a good place to buy PC parts.

Here is a Good 9600xt for Cheap.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-102-326&depa=0

for twenty bucks more you can get the 256 meg version, the ram is clocked slower but the extra ram should do you good.

hmmm, makes me wanna upgrade, have a geforce 5200 right now... hmmm...hmmm...

Got Doom 3 today, and the game installed fine... Except, it doesn't want to work. It loads up properly, but when I go and try to start a new game, the load screen comes up, finishes, and then drops back to the desktop... So far, I'm NOT impressed.

you might want to check if you have the latest drivers and directx 9. not sure if that'll help, but it's the only thing i can think of.

Latest video card drivers and DirectX9b are required. DirectX9c came out a day or two before Doom 3's release, so grab that for the heck of it.

Overclocking is also not recommended. I've seen reports of people who've overclocked getting a bunch of game errors. If you're overclocking, stop it.

If you're using multiple displays, disable all but the primary display, and make sure the video card recognizes the remaining display as display 1.

Not overclocking, not running multiple displays, and I don't have DirectX 9c. Something to get.

Also, I've been hearing that the ATI 4.7 drivers don't work well at all, and in order to fix/get Doom 3 to work with a Radeon card, you need the 4.9 betas... Sloppy...

www.newegg.com is a good place to buy PC parts.

Here is a Good 9600xt for Cheap.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-102-326&depa=0

i wish that was an australian site, that is VERY cheap it seems. :(

alas, it no international sell

I did the timedemo with this system, highest it did for specs it recommended was 9fps!!! :angry: thats just plain wrong, i didn't know the fx5200 was so crap, specially considering it was a 128mb card. Im wondering if maybe my cpu is too crappy as well, but i would have thought an xp2600 was decent nuff personally..

this is why pc games sh*t me to tears..

Absolutely awesome game so far.

Tons of great atmosphere that can really creep you out. Especially hearing screaming/whispering/chanting/stomping coming from next door, or having zombies burst out at you from hidden shadowy recesses that you could have sworn were clear. The engine, especially the lighting, is beautiful to behold. The intuitive interface with in-game computers and screens is a great feature too.

I can't wait to see an Aliens mod built with this. This engine begs...just BEGS...for someone to recreate the lost colony/atmosphere processor on LV(B?)-426. Check your corners people! :unsure:

I think i am jaded. Doom 3 wasn't scary fer me.....i didn't feel the anxiousness and the paranoia of what's lurking in every corner like I did with AVP. No doubt the atmosphere was cool and everything....but i dunno.....maybe one silent hill too many has jaded me. It would take more than monsters coming out of dark corners and lights suddenly turned off to freak me out.

Gameplay wise, Doom 3 doesn't have any ground breaking "ooooh ahhhs". If anything, Doom 3 is an excellent "small spaces" graphics engine. So far everything's in corridors so I'm not sure about large open spaces. The AI is pretty crap if you ask me. Example, zombie gunners try to shoot me from outisde a room and continue blasting at the walls. Another example, reported by my friend, if the chaingun brute accidentally hits the Revenant while trying to shoot you, the revenant will change target to the brute and start rocketting and slashing it. The zombie ignores the revenant and continues trying to shoot you. Heh.

I'd say Doom 3 is HL on steroids. Overall, pretty good graphics, physics etc, but quite disappointed with the storyline, story progression, AI and intuitive play.

Edited by wolfx

My copy comes tomorrow by FedEx... still counting the hours.

As for the "bad AI" thing, yeah shooting at walls is just stupid but in the original Doom game it was a strategy element that the different baddie types would attack other baddies of different styles. You could use that to your advantage big time in the later monster packed levels. Pop in a room, shoot off a few rounds and the guys in the back who would return fire at you but hit the other baddies in front of them and next thing you know a massive rumble starts. There was one level in particular near the end of Doom 1 I think that had a room full of Barons of Hell with a CyberDemon behind all of them. You walk in, shoot the Cyberdemon then run like a bunny and they all duke it out... then you waltz back in and cap the survivors.

You walk in, shoot the Cyberdemon then run like a bunny and they all duke it out... then you waltz back in and cap the survivors.

Which is usually just the cyberdemon. :lol:

Yeah but I thought that they fight each other regardless of if they accidentally fire at each other or not.

Oh well. Other than the imp, I haven't seen any monsters making a comeback yet, zombies not included.

Edited by wolfx