Who is buying DOOM 3?

ogami

I'm not completely sold on it yet, waiting for more info and reviews before I plunk down. I've never been as much a fan of the run 'n gun games as I have the more strategy oriented shooters. Still, early reports state that it will have a little more depth than its predecessors...

Doom 3 works like Halo and Half-life in that it's an objective-based game. You aren't just walking throughout the base killing everything that moves; there's a reason for it, and a story behind it. Just don't expect a deep, moving plot. It'll be something that gets the job done, but the Doom experience has never relied on story: it's relied on atmosphere and terror. Doom 3 won't be a disappointment if it doesn't have a story; it'll be a disappointment if it's not frightening. Some of those sound effects from the very first Doom still freak me out--like the Cyberdemon's scream when it sees you for the first time.

It's actually a lot more like Half-Life. You go into the base as a day job...something goes wrong. All hell (literally) breaks loose. You try to stay alive.

There are also NPCs and other things for you to do.

That said, many people already have Doom 3 as some stores sold them by accident or their employees just don't care.

I also really truly want HL2 and not Doom 3... but HL2's constant delays and push-backs got me soooooo angry at waiting for the game. I was having flashbacks of waiting for Daikatana all over again.

The real main reason I want Doom3 badly now is to test the moxie of my "new" computer. The whole reason I bought a new box was so I could play these next gen games... and other than the gorgeous Far Cry I have yet to see a truly "next gen" game from anyone yet. Perhaps Doom3 will sate my thirst for next level.

Who is buying DOOM 3? It is released early. :)

Maybe I will, depends on the review and the demo...

(or let just say who still have the money to buy PC games... :lol: )

I will probably buy the game when it drops to like $30

As with most id games, you are buying the game engine and not much "game." :D

HL is a game built off of Quake2 and that is a well made game compared to Q2's mindless shooting, not bad but not as polished.

Same went for Q3A and it was pretty repetitive. I am a Quake fan still but HL is a great game and HL2 wil showoff the great level designs.

I also really truly want HL2 and not Doom 3... but HL2's constant delays and push-backs got me soooooo angry at waiting for the game. I was having flashbacks of waiting for Daikatana all over again.

The real main reason I want Doom3 badly now is to test the moxie of my "new" computer. The whole reason I bought a new box was so I could play these next gen games... and other than the gorgeous Far Cry I have yet to see a truly "next gen" game from anyone yet. Perhaps Doom3 will sate my thirst for next level.

What are the specs if you don't mind me asking?

And I'll probably get the game myself.

I am predicting hardware prices will drop as new ones come into the market to be benchmarked using Doom 3, if history repeats itself. When that happens, I'm buying a new pc, and it can play Doom 3! W00ts!

What are the specs if you don't mind me asking?

And I'll probably get the game myself.

My personal comp's specs are:

3.02 Ghz Pent 4 HT with a gig of RAM on an ASUS motherboard, Raedon 9800 PRO card. It has handled everything with ease so far (despite a small glitch with far cry that had to be ironed out). From looking at the minimum system requirements for Doom 3 and running the Alpha on this box I should be able to play it in full/full with no issues... or at least I hope to.

Oh f*** yeah. Some of you are going to wait? Blasphemy! I've been drooling over this one since the day they announced it. It doesn't get any better than a new id game (for my dollar, anyway).

I'm just hoping my rig can handle it - I got the leaked beta and I got some major choppiness as soon the goons started coming at you. It's sad to think that up until a very few months ago there wasn't a game out there that made it even hiccup, and now I'm facing the upgrade rollercoaster again. I guess I'm showing my age in nerd years when I'm astounded that a 2400+ MHz processor is too slow. (sigh)

Who is buying DOOM 3? It is released early.  :)

Maybe I will, depends on the review and the demo...

(or let just say who still have the money to buy PC games...  :lol: )

I will probably buy the game when it drops to like $30

As with most id games, you are buying the game engine and not much "game." :D

HL is a game built off of Quake2 and that is a well made game compared to Q2's mindless shooting, not bad but not as polished.

Same went for Q3A and it was pretty repetitive. I am a Quake fan still but HL is a great game and HL2 wil showoff the great level designs.

Yeah Q2 single player was pretty blah. Good thing people out there made mods for it.

For me the beauty of Q2 was in the online cooperative teamplay like in Q2 CTF. I remember wasting many hours playing organized matches where every person on the team had very specific roles (defense, rover, offense, acquire upgrades, etc). It was beautiful when all the teamwork and communication fell into place, less organized teams (even with great individually skilled players) often were crushed.

Edited by StealthLurker

the system specs for doom are pretty modest.. like a 1.5 p4 and geforce 3 card with 512 megs of ram... not bad. you won't be able to get all the bells and whistles but apparantly the code optimizes to your particular hardware.

it looks great but it also looks like been there done that too.. I'm more excited for half life 2.

I saw the official trailer for Doom 3 yesterday. It looks sweet and all but i have some pet peeves about it.

1.) I hope that we go to "Hell" or Deimos or something. You know, that hellish place out of your nightmares represented in Doom 1 and 2. If not, its gonna be another Half Life or AVP where experiments gone wrong, and the whole research facility just goes to hell and you gotta get out.

2.) Despite great texture maps and dynamic lighting, is it just me or do the representations of energy weapons like the plasma rifle and BFG suck? They look mediocre at best.

I'd love to.... but the only machine I have that will run it is at work... and I doubt they'd be much impressed by my playing Doom instead of actually working....

Do it during breaks and lunches.

Downloaded it. Can't run it. Even the damn menu lags.  Am Sad.  :(

Pst. Pirating = bad.

I call it sampling. No point buying something I cna't run. Now i know for sure I can't run it. ;)

saved myself some bucks.

I call it sampling. No point buying something I cna't run. Now i know for sure I can't run it.  ;) 

saved myself some bucks.

To know whether or not you could run the game, you merely need to look at the minimum specs.

Piracy = bad.

my specs were way above minimum, bud.

Except maybe the graphics card being a Radeon 7500 MOBILITY would be the problem.

(yes its a laptop)

If you wanna lecture about piracy, then buying yammies in the states would be considerd piracy as well....wouldn't it?

piracy == bad.

yeah sure. <_< For the mega corporations maybe.