LOTR Trilogy Screenings This Christmas

Yang_Neumann

So let's say you have about 12 hours and 30+ dollars to burn on December the 16th. Well, if you're a fan of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy you're in luck. In what is perhaps the biggest publicity stunt since the re-release of the Star Wars Trilogy six years ago, New Line Cinema announced last month that they will be showing "The Fellowship of the Ring" and "The Two Towers" in theaters this December. It gets better. These will be the "Director's Cuts" of the two films with all the deleted footage intact. "Fellowship" will be shown on the 2nd, with a running time of 216 minutes. On the 9th, the 221 minute version of "The Two Towers" will be shown. Then on the 16th select theaters will be showing all three films back-to-back. Babysitters are in short supply during the holidays, so I may have to pass on this event if it hits anywhere in or near Nashville.

New Line/Warner Bros. will be announcing the participating theaters in early October.

Hmmm, very interesting, if I don't have anything really important to do that day (class, work) and depending on how much it'll cost, I could possibly be down for this, though I don't know if I want to be in a theater full of LOTR fanboys  :lol:

I would give it a try if I don't have school the next day.

Edited by Angel's Fury

I can't marathon like I used to, especialy the same show or movie series, and that's at home. There is no way I'll survive 12 hours in the movie theater. I will watch the Director's cuts on the old HDTV a day each prior to heading to the movies to watch Part 3. Couple of weeks later I may go back to see Part 3 again.

Dang 30 dollars.

Now does anyone esle see how wrong this is.

Matinee cost roughly 5 to 6 dollars

After 6 can be 8 - 10 dollars

This is all depending on where you live.

Unless the movies start at 6pm to 6am, part of the movie will happen during matinee. If food is included then, it possibly might be worth attending...

Each movie is nearly four hours long. You're getting 2 movies' worth for each LOTR film, that'd be 6 movies for $30, averaging $5 per flick. Good deal I say.

Well not really.. a movie is still a movie no matter how long it was.

Let's figure in what you are saying. since each movie is 4hrs, it's worth cost of about 2 movies.

So when LOTR first came out in theaters, 3hrs about, then we all should of payed for 1 and a half movies.. so instead of 5 dollars but 7.5...

3 movies are still 3 movies worth matinee price of 5 dollars each, or after matinee price of 8.50 each. The only way I would spend 30 to watch all these movies at one time is if it is a party, that comes with food, beer and maybe a a special edition LOTR pillow if I fall asleep within those 12 hrs.

No, I own a surround sound system now, and will have both Extended dvds, so I'm not wasting any money to go to a theater to see all 3 movies in one shot.

I can't wait to see Return of the King on opening day though. This movie is going to be cool.

So, the RotK regular version is going to be 3:30 hrs long?

12 hours of Tolkien? yes. :)  12 hours of Peter Jackson? No way in hell! :angry:

It's LoTR, Not Dead Alive(Brain Dead to some) or Bad Taste. I wouldn't wish a marathon like that on anyone, any they barely hit the three hour mark put together :lol::lol:

Edited by Yang_Neumann

Dang 30 dollars.

Now does anyone esle see how wrong this is.

Matinee cost roughly 5 to 6 dollars

After 6 can be 8 - 10 dollars

This is all depending on where you live.

Unless the movies start at 6pm to 6am, part of the movie will happen during matinee. If food is included then, it possibly might be worth attending...

My understanding is that a concession deal will be included in the promotion

12 hours of Tolkien? yes. :)  12 hours of Peter Jackson? No way in hell! :angry:

It's LoTR, Not Dead Alive(Brain Dead to some) or Bad Taste. I wouldn't wish a marathon like that on anyone, any they barely hit the three hour mark put together :lol::lol:

I'm actually a big fan of those two movies but I don't like Jackson's LOTR. :( I've spent years in my head building an image of what LOTR should look like and it doesn't mesh well with these movies. I feel no hostility towards PJ but his movies offend my sense of what Tolkiens world should look like. PJ should stick to what he does best, cheesy gore flicks. :)