Official Gundam Seed Destiny Thread

Anubis

Seed has produced 50 episodes, 2 TV specials 1 OVA, 2 side stories OVA's, 2 manga series, over half a dozen soundtracks, a long line of model and plastic figure toys, and a tv sequal airing less than 60 days from now.....you can't call something like that a "Hit or miss".

You miss the point. The merchandising blitz isn't due to fan demand. This is a case of Bandai forcing crap down people's throat.

And this clearly proves the point: "If you make it, they'll buy it."

Taken from 4chan.org (which I found out SEEM has been posting photos of my gundam astrays on  ).

Kinda sums everything up eh?

The first one is a Katoki. The last ones are Okawara. Nina's expressions are hardly surprising.

¬_¬ but wasn't Shoji Kawamori-san the one who designed the mobile suits with Katoki-san? Ooooorr do you mean that piece of art work of the GP-01 is Katoki-san?

I wont disagree that the mobile suits are in the most part ugly as sin and should be beaten or shreded....but it's not our call. And it's like I said in the AVP thread, you can dog it all you want, but save the true judgement after WATCHING some of the new series.

You miss the point. The merchandising blitz isn't due to fan demand. This is a case of Bandai forcing crap down people's throat.

I can't see really Bandai "forcing crap" down our throats...theres a supply and demand like any other merchandise...if they think people are going to buy it, they make it, if people buy it, they make more...if it doesn't sell...they either don't produce as many or call it "Limited Editioned"

A series can't be continued without some sort of a fanbasis, if the show utterly sucks and gets low raitings like say Sailor Moons live action drama, THAN I would see your point. Bandai would be just milking the BaCOW....... <_< *cough* pardon the pun.

But I'm going to agree with what Graham had said about Macross 7, you can't create more to go with a series without there being SOME sort of a fan basis, SOMETHING is drawing viewers to SEED that we might not be picking up on either due to our western culture, or something else.

¬_¬ but wasn't Shoji Kawamori-san the one who designed the mobile suits with Katoki-san? Ooooorr do you mean that piece of art work of the GP-01 is Katoki-san?

That particular piece was created by Katoki.

I wont disagree that the mobile suits are in the most part ugly as sin and should be beaten or shreded....but it's not our call.

You're right, it's not our call what design is used. But it IS our call what design we buy in merchandise form, and guess what? Judging by this forum alone, a large number of people are going to buy a shitload of SEED merchandise because it's there.

For example, wishing for a MG Providence Gundam.

And it's like I said in the AVP thread, you can dog it all you want, but save the true judgement after WATCHING some of the new series.

I don't follow that thread, so I didn't see your post. But no one's dogging the series here. In fact, I rather enjoyed what I've seen of SEED. I'm dogging the mechanical designs that will show up in it.

I can't see really Bandai "forcing crap" down our throats...

"Forcing crap" is perhaps a little strong, but my point is that fanbase is supposed to create merchandise, not merchandise creating a fanbase, which SEED is the perfect example of the latter.

But I'm going to agree with what Graham had said about Macross 7, you can't create more to go with a series without there being SOME sort of a fan basis, SOMETHING is drawing viewers to SEED that we might not be picking up on either due to our western culture, or something else.

SEED is a series made for kids. A new generation of Gundam fans, so to speak. The SEED fanbase today is comparable with the MSG fanbase of the early days. We're not kids, so we're not picking up on how the ugly mecha designs are drawing kids to the series.

Edited by Stamen0083

I'm not buying scores of Seed mechandise, and I greatly enjoyed the show.

Nothing wrong with wanting an MG Providence. I happen to like the design. Doesn't matter if anyone agrees with me or not. there are other designs that people like that I find hideous or just am not a big fan of.

This is the list of Seed merchandise I have bought, and all I am plannign to get:(Unless they make an MG Providence :p)

-Metal Material Aile Strike

-HG 1/144 Astray Red Frame

-HG 1/144 Providence

-HG 1/144 Freedom (going in the trash once I get the MG built)

-MG Freedom

-Lacus Statue from Hobby Fan

That's it. I bought the few pieces that I liked enough to warrant a purchase.

It's clearly obvious that Seed mecha has sold in DROVES in Japan. They are not forcing anything down anyone's throat. This is what Bandai presented, and fans WILLINGLY scooped it up, because they liked what they saw. If they didn't like it, they wouldn't have bought it. The formula they used for Seed obviously worked and it proved highly successful. Therefore they will surely not screw with a formula that's working. If the designs become truly craptacular, and the fans turn against it, then the cash will slow greatly, and they'll adjust accordingly.

Therefore they will surely not screw with a formula that's working. If the designs become truly craptacular, and the fans turn against it, then the cash will slow greatly, and they'll adjust accordingly.

:lol::p Sword Calamity!

I'm with a lot of others on this one, not really a fan of the AU-gundam stuff.

I really really wish they'd return to the UC timeline, with a different storyline for once. Maybe a Zaku pilot story or something.

But since SEED is doing so well, and selling like hotcakes, I'm sure we can only expect either more SEED or more AU-set gundam power rangers.

/dies of cynicism

I really really wish they'd return to the UC timeline, with a different storyline for once. Maybe a Zaku pilot story or something.

Given the sheer amount of OYW-related shows, this wouldn't exactly be "different."

Folks, Bandai does not like UC. Learn to accept this. We've had ONE whole new UC series after Bandai purchased Sunrise in 1993. AU Gundam is wholly a Bandai creation, for merchandising purposes. And people go out and buy this crap no matter how ugly it gets.

Folks, Gundam was lost the day the Master Grade line went retro.

So that's when Bandai bought things. I was wondering that and it does point that they don't like UC if V Gundam was the last series, lets not count G-saviour to reduce bashing or sidetracking the thread).

Really they could make a new one but why don't they. They could have even reanimated MSG 0079 but instead we gett SEED. While I enjoy it now, its basicly a retelling of the original series but with more Gundams. The only original parts of the series are like episode 30-39, or around there. The beginning and the end just scream One Year War.

I have a strong feeling that after Destiny is released they'll do another SEED series and it will become the new MAIN timeline while UC will be forgotten about or ignored.

So that's when Bandai bought things. I was wondering that and it does point that they don't like UC if V Gundam was the last series

Gundam fans need to wake up from the "Bandai hates the UC and is out to screw us" delusion. It's got nothing to do with them "not liking" the UC and more that the UC had simply run it's course.

V being the last UC series isn't because they don't like the UC, it's because it was an *unmitigated failure*. It rated very poorly, it's merchandising bombed and to top it off Tomino loathes it and considers it the worst Gundam series there is.

The core of fans love for UC centred around a few important things - the one year war, and Amuro and Char. With Char's Counterattack this ended, and the fanbase lost interest.

F-91 was a failed attempt to 'reboot' the continuity, and V Gundam is an alternate universe series in all but name. The fanbase just wasn't interested anymore.

After that they saw that change was needed, and began the alternate universes. It's also no shock that the most UC like of the AU's (Gundam X) was also an complete failure with the fans.

I have a strong feeling that after Destiny is released they'll do another SEED series and it will become the new MAIN timeline while UC will be forgotten about or ignored.

They were saying as much even before SEED was released, and it's how it should be. The UC is a dead horse and should be laid to rest.

Yeah you're so right, it sucks and nobody likes it, they just buy it because they have to.

Wake up.

Edited by Panon

The gundam universe IMHO only needs something, and desperately!!get rid of Kunio Okawara as a mecha designer..... I can't see why they keep calling that guy... he hasn't matured and he keeps thinking that mecha is still super sentai crap... he should be working with power rangers or something but if you see most of the mecha done by that guy is silly looking.. it's a good thing that guys like Katoki, Kasumi Fujita and even the good 'ol Kawamori exist to redesign the crappy Okawara stuff into something that really looks "credible" not some heavily ornamented version of a roman armor, common, this guy had his moment... back in 79 when the original gundam aired, even the his designs where crap compared with a lot of the other stuff.

My 0.02 cents

Gundam fans need to wake up from the "Bandai hates the UC and is out to screw us" delusion. It's got nothing to do with them "not liking" the UC and more that the UC had simply run it's course.

V being the last UC series isn't because they don't like the UC, it's because it was an *unmitigated failure*. It rated very poorly, it's merchandising bombed and to top it off Tomino loathes it and considers it the worst Gundam series there is.

After that they saw that change was needed, and began the alternate universes. It's also no shock that the most UC like of the AU's (Gundam X) was also an complete failure with the fans.

Bandai isn't out to screw UC. No one is saying that--at least, not that I've seen. What Bandai is out to do is make UC a sideshow to the main thrust of Gundam--the alternate universes. This is why UC has been restricted to side story manga like Lost War Chronicle and Blue Destiny. UC is still quite popular--Mobile Suit Gundam, not Wing or SEED, is Sunrise's flagship show (yes, after 25 years, MSG is still their most popular show.) Bandai continues to use the MSG theme in each of its new AU series--well, the exception now is SEED-D, which is using Zeta as its basis.

If UC wasn't popular, Zeta wouldn't be getting a movie re-release with new scenes and a new ending. If UC wasn't popular, the Master Grade and HGUC lines would've died five years ago. If UC wasn't popular, 08th Team wouldn't have taken three years to complete.

F-91 and V simply weren't appropriate to kickstart a new Gundam timeline, but not because they weren't good. F-91 was supposed to be a TV series, but instead the first 13 episodes were condensed into the movie we have now. In a form like that, there's no way F-91 could've done anything. As for V, the problem there was that the series was TOO complete, leaving no window for continuations and sequels. You have a point about Tomino not liking V Gundam, but you forget that Tomino thought MSG was the end of the Gundam series--he didn't want to make Zeta, ZZ, CCA, F-91, V, or Turn A. He definitely didn't conceive of Sunrise letting other directors in on his property and making 0080, 0083, or 08th Team. And he most definitely did not conceive of alternate universes like G, Wing, X, or SEED.

With that said, I agree that the UC series are mostly stale. Kid's colony gets attacked, kid steals Gundam, kid becomes amazing pilot and happens to be the most powerful Newtype around. The manga are equally formulaic--they all happen during the OYW, they all involve some secret Zeon project, they all have "only in anime" characters and plots.

But UC is hardly unpopular. MSG is still Sunrise's flaghship series, and Zeta is often cited as a fan-favorite series. CCA, 0080, and 0083 are still highly popular. F-91 had quite a bit of sequels and prequels, with one (Crossbone) even directed by Tomino himself. X didn't fail because it was UC-like. X failed because it took half the series for its plot to begin kicking in, and because it was the third Gundam series to air in a row, and it aired next to Evangelion. Bandai had exhausted Gundam fains in the first place, and then they put X up next to Eva. X is not a bad show, but with those kinds of circumstances, not even Tomino could've produced a winner.

One more point: the alternate universes were conceived very differently. G was originally going to be a remake of MSG, with what eventually became the Shining Gundam acting as a new RX-78.

They were saying as much even before SEED was released, and it's how it should be. The UC is a dead horse and should be laid to rest.

They were, but then they stopped. SEED's planned sequel was scrapped during the second half of the show. This is why SEED's ending is rushed. For months after SEED was completed, officials were asked about a sequel and said none was going to happen. SEED D's announcement was a complete surprise, and it's quite different from the originally planned sequel.

Yeah you're so right, it sucks and nobody likes it, they just buy it because they have to.

Yeah, kind of like those old early '80s Macross kits.

SEED was another miss and SEED Destiny, based on the material that's been released so far, doesn't look like it's going to be any better than its predecessor.

SEED was a miss?

That's a funny one.

The funniest part is that you responded to it as if my opinion were wrong and you knew the correct answer. I guess you probably, somehow, despite the fact that my post made it pretty clear I was talking about my own personal taste, came to the conclusion that I was talking about merchandising success. In the future, I'll draw you a picture so you don't get confused.

Haven't heard anyone complaion about actually using the real Zaku in Turn A. The new "Zaku's" in Seed D look pretty good IMO.

I have, but the complaints always come from people who haven't seen the show and therefore don't understand the importance of Zaku to the plot. Turn A, because of its unique story, is an exception. Unless SEED Destiny's story is specifically written to tie into Turn A (unlikely, but not impossible), there's no good reason, from a story-telling perspective, that there should be any Zaku designs in the show.

Bandai had exhausted Gundam fains in the first place, and then they put X up next to Eva. X is not a bad show, but with those kinds of circumstances, not even Tomino could've produced a winner.

That's a myth. If Gundam X ran against Evangelion, it was running against Eva reruns. Gundam X started 5 April 1996 and ran on Friday (until its timeslot change, which moved it to Saturday mornings). Evangelion ran on Wednesday and ended 27 March 1996. Not only were they not in the same timeslot, but they weren't even running at the same time.

That's a myth. If Gundam X ran against Evangelion, it was running against Eva reruns. Gundam X started 5 April 1996 and ran on Friday (until its timeslot change, which moved it to Saturday mornings). Evangelion ran on Wednesday and ended 27 March 1996. Not only were they not in the same timeslot, but they weren't even running at the same time.

Generally, when a show completes its run, it's at the height of its popularity, is it not?

Imagine trasitioning from Eva ep 26 to Gundam X episode 1. Quite a jarring experience, especially when Eva apparently hit all the chords anime fans like--underaged fanservice, animal mascots, Christian symbols, and a dash of super robot style in the mecha designs.

So, Gundam X had to compete with Eva--regardless of whether or not they were airing concurrently. This is kind of like how, when a video game does something perfectly, all successive games are compared to this one perfect video game. RPGs are judged by whether or not they're as good as Final Fantasy. Action games are judged by whether or not they're as good as Metal Gear Solid. FPS games are measured by whether or not they're as good as Half-life or Halo.

Point is, Eva is one of the reasons Gundam X didn't do well. Period.

That's a myth.  If Gundam X ran against Evangelion, it was running against Eva reruns.  Gundam X started 5 April 1996 and ran on Friday (until its timeslot change, which moved it to Saturday mornings).  Evangelion ran on Wednesday and ended 27 March 1996.  Not only were they not in the same timeslot, but they weren't even running at the same time.

Generally, when a show completes its run, it's at the height of its popularity, is it not?

Imagine trasitioning from Eva ep 26 to Gundam X episode 1. Quite a jarring experience, especially when Eva apparently hit all the chords anime fans like--underaged fanservice, animal mascots, Christian symbols, and a dash of super robot style in the mecha designs.

So, Gundam X had to compete with Eva--regardless of whether or not they were airing concurrently. This is kind of like how, when a video game does something perfectly, all successive games are compared to this one perfect video game. RPGs are judged by whether or not they're as good as Final Fantasy. Action games are judged by whether or not they're as good as Metal Gear Solid. FPS games are measured by whether or not they're as good as Half-life or Halo.

Point is, Eva is one of the reasons Gundam X didn't do well. Period.

That seems like a terrible stretch to me. If there's any sort of proof that Evangelion impacted X's ratings, then fine, but to me it looks like you're really reaching. It's not like people just stopped watching anime for a while after Eva ended. Besides, a lot of fans were actually pretty upset with the last couple episodes of Eva, so the transition to a new Gundam series after the disappointing climax to an otherwise popular series doesn't seem like it'd be too difficult. And Gundam Wing found plenty of success running at the same time (albeit, on different days) as Evangelion. I just have a very tough time believing Evangelion played any significant role in Gundam X's failure.

I'm having a rather hard time believing that EVA was part of the downfall of Gundam X, sure it wasn't that great of a series, but I think one of the problems was the fact it just didn't have a very grasping story, and that at times it felt like it was side tracked by something else. They were suppose to go hunting to protect newtypes, yet they get sidetracked to do other things along the way.....not too mention the Gundam designs were sorta a joke.....they were very pleasing to my eye.......

If V Gundam was such a failure, why did it last for its full 52 episode run? Wouldn't it have been slashed and condensed, like Southern Cross?

Tomino shows get more leeway. Turn-A which also fared very poorly received it's full run of episodes (although it appears to have deservedly become more appreciated with time).

That seems like a terrible stretch to me.  If there's any sort of proof that Evangelion impacted X's ratings, then fine, but to me it looks like you're really reaching.  It's not like people just stopped watching anime for a while after Eva ended.

I think his point has some validity to it.

While I don't think Evangelion was a major factor since they never competed, it very well may have played a smaller role - something does become clear when you compare the original Japanese names of the two shows - "Kidou Shin Seiki Gundam X" and "Shin Seiki Evangelion" - Coincidence? I'd say Sunrise tried to take a little ride on the success of Eva a little, and it didn't work.

I think a combination of a couple of other things were the more damaging factors:

It's plot - the series did not have one true overall story, but rather was a number of disjointed story arcs that at times suffered from questionable pacing. I know around the mid point, not far from where it's timeslot was shifted the show was bogged down in a five episode "monster of the week" stretch where Garrod had to fight a new insane potential Newtype with their own custom mobile suit each week.

It didn't have your stereotypical Gundam lead - while there was of course the "teenage boy comes into possession of a Gundam" factor, otherwise he was different. He wasn't wracked by moral difficulties and having the Gundam wasn't much of a burden - rather it was something he took with ease. Also, he was closer to an average, cheery person rather than the exceptional Newtypes of UC leads or the near superhumans of G/Wing/Seed.

It's setting was quite different from your typical Gundam, as it was Earth bound for almost the entire series up until the final 8 episodes of so and space didn't play a large role.

It carried a lot of UC baggage - as much as the show did explain it, I think to truely appreciate X a pre-knowledge of what Newtypes are helps.

If not those things, it's a victim of it's times. Eva was popular at the time, and the last Gundam series had been the very popular Wing. Gundam X wasn't the "more of the same" that people craved. I don't think we'll ever really know what the reason for it failing was other than fans being fickle.

So far, I can't say I'm too impressed with what I see. The new Gundams look like crap, Impulse is just Strike with all the angles rounded out. And the way the Alliance people look makes it seem like they're really scraping the bottom of the barrel for people. These kids look like stright up delinquents from the streets, at least the Forbidden and Calamity pilots look like they were around their 20's or so. Have any of you guys seen the two battleships they've shown? You ask me they should tack on Archangel-class Refit onto the names. The Minerva just doesn't look right for a ZAFT ship, it'll be fine for an Earth ship but for a ZAFT ship it should have taken after the Nazca-class or the Eternal.

Ah well, as long as it doesn't have some arrogent @sshole who likes to go into a fight singing some really annoying ass song...

You ask me they should tack on Archangel-class Refit onto the names. The Minerva just doesn't look right for a ZAFT ship, it'll be fine for an Earth ship but for a ZAFT ship it should have taken after the Nazca-class or the Eternal.

Actually, Minerva kinda reminds me of PLANT (not ZAFT) ship. The other one looks like Re H.O.M.E. and a Izumo-class clumped together.

If V Gundam was such a failure, why did it last for its full 52 episode run? Wouldn't it have been slashed and condensed, like Southern Cross?

Tomino shows get more leeway. Turn-A which also fared very poorly received it's full run of episodes (although it appears to have deservedly become more appreciated with time).

Victory Gundam's television ratings were actually comparable to those of G Gundam and Gundam Wing, and higher than those of Gundam X and Turn A. I'm not really interested in models though, so perhaps it was a commercial failure. I don't know how well its merchandise sold.

That seems like a terrible stretch to me.  If there's any sort of proof that Evangelion impacted X's ratings, then fine, but to me it looks like you're really reaching.  It's not like people just stopped watching anime for a while after Eva ended.

I think his point has some validity to it.

While I don't think Evangelion was a major factor since they never competed, it very well may have played a smaller role - something does become clear when you compare the original Japanese names of the two shows - "Kidou Shin Seiki Gundam X" and "Shin Seiki Evangelion" - Coincidence? I'd say Sunrise tried to take a little ride on the success of Eva a little, and it didn't work.

If not those things, it's a victim of it's times. Eva was popular at the time, and the last Gundam series had been the very popular Wing. Gundam X wasn't the "more of the same" that people craved. I don't think we'll ever really know what the reason for it failing was other than fans being fickle.

You and I seem to agree for the most part that Evangelion didn't play any significant role in Gundam X's failure, so I'm not going to split hairs here except to say that if there is anything to the similarity in titles, I would think it had an extremely limited impact on the show's popularity (how many people are going to like or dislike the show based on its allusion to the title of another show?). I don't think Gundam X was a terrible show, but I don't think it was really a victim of its times -- I don't think it would succeed even if it aired now, mostly for the reasons you outlined in your post. That's a reflection more on the show itself than on the shows it ran against. Would it have done better if it wasn't coming just a week after the end of popular shows like Eva and Wing? Perhaps. But I'm not sure it would have done *much* better. In any case, I stand by my original point that Gundam X did not fail because it was up next to Evangelion.

Victory Gundam's television ratings were actually comparable to those of G Gundam and Gundam Wing, and higher than those of Gundam X and Turn A.  I'm not really interested in models though, so perhaps it was a commercial failure.  I don't know how well its merchandise sold.

Well, if an anime can be judged by the amount of merchandise released during it's initial run, then V-Gundam can be said to have been pretty successful!

The following V-Gundam merchandise was released during it's TV run in the 1993-1994 period: -

• 16 x Bandai 1/144 scale plastic models.
  • 5 x Bandai 1/100 scale models.
  • 1 x Bandai 1/60 V2 scale model.
  • 2 x Bandai electronic V-Gundam 1/60 (or were they 1/72 scale?) scale toys.
  • 1 x transforming 1/48 V-Gundam scale toy.
  • 1 x Electronic V-Gundam Beam Rifle Toy (scale ?).
  • 12(?) x 1/144 scale Mobile Suit In Pocket (MSiP) toys (the predecessor of the MSiA line).
  • Numerous resin garage kits and resin conversion kits by B-Club and other manufacturers.
  • Several OST CDs (3 I think?) as well as CD singles.
  • Numerous art books (I own, 3, there may be more).

I mean if the show had been a flop and the merchandise had not sold well with the initial release models and toys, then Bandai would not have continued to release so many toys and models during the year that the show ran.

Please feel free to correct me if I've made any errors or omitted any items from the above list.

And I'd like to add that although I'm not really a Gundam fan, V-Gundam is the only Gundam TV series (including Zeta which I think is way over-rated) that I really enjoyed watching.

Graham

Gunota headlines has a quip from an interview that says Seed MSV mecha will show up in Seed Destiny. Good news there at least.

I will make my initial wager right now: Strike Rouge w/ IWSP pack (with an IWSP equivalent for the Impuse later like I've said already).

Having the Red and Blue Frames as well would rock if that happens.

Gunota headlines has a quip from an interview that says Seed MSV mecha will show up in Seed Destiny. Good news there at least.

I will make my initial wager right now: Strike Rouge w/ IWSP pack (with an IWSP equivalent for the Impuse later like I've said already).

Having the Red and Blue Frames as well would rock if that happens.

Don't know about Strike Rouge w/ IWSP...Lightning Striker (Rouge)...maybe...but that's if they use Strike Rouge.

I would expect more Daggers (Buster Dagger, GAT-01A1 Dagger, Duel Dagger, etc), Deep Forbidden, M1-A1 Astrays or M2 Astrays. As for ZAFT MS, I expect to see more GINN varieties. Maybe some of the suits for the Astray mini-episodes will show.

Cagalli should have to back Athrun up at some point, so the Strike Rouge would need something new at least.

OK folks, here are the transformed modes for all the mobile suits:

post-26-1093082070_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anubis

part 2. These lower two, I don't like.

post-26-1093082191_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anubis

Yeah, I don't like their transformed modes either. Chaos and Gaia look good in their other mode, but Chaos looks like a VF in GERWALK. Abyss...well, it's a simple transformation/design, so there's not much you can get out of that.

edit: I meant Savior and Gaia look good. Chaos and Abyss look horrible.

Edited by azrael

omfg...the impulse's transformation...is crap! :o

The rest I don't mind too much...but the Impulse takes the cake. <_<

Ummm...you do realize that Impulse doesn't really transform. It just combines with modular parts just like the original RX-78 Gundam.

omfg...the impulse's transformation...is crap!  :o

The rest I don't mind too much...but the Impulse takes the cake.  <_<

Ummm...you do realize that Impulse doesn't really transform. It just combines with modular parts just like the original RX-78 Gundam.

i haven't seen the original MSG Gundam...but....unforgivable even for the Impulse. <_<