Vf-17

Macrosso

bah that kind of sucks since it doesnt look all that great. what do u think i really love that mech. unless the model kits look nice none paint or something.

You can always settle for those 1/144 critters that Bandai makes. I finsihed my VF-17S a few weeks ago and it looks awesome. Although it's hard to pose with that big ass gunpod it has.

The bandai VF-17 doesn't look bad lined up with the other Yamato's at least.

Edited by Anubis

Yeah you're pretty much stuck with Bandai if you want a transformable TOY.

The thought of even a 1/72 Yamato is a very nice thought.

1/60 would be soooo much better, though.

I'm a huge fan of the VF-17 (see my avatar). I Actually love Bandai's 1/65 scale DX VF-17S and VF-17D toys. I own something like 10 of them :D

IMO, they're actually very good toys. Despite having no metal parts, they are probably the sturdiest Macross toy ever made. You would have to try really hard to break a Bandai VF-17.

They also transform easily and smoothly and are actually very detailed. Although you can't tell from most online photos, Bandai's sculptors actually added all the 'detail-up' panel lines, which they didn't do on the 1/144 model kit. The VF-17D/S toys have far more detail and panel lines than Bandai's VF-19 Macross 7 toys.

Actually a Bandai VF-17 is probably the Macross toy I most often take out and transform and play with due to it's ruggedness and ease of transformation. Most of my Yamatos are actually shelf queens that get very little play time these days, except the VF-11B FP version which gets a lot of hands-on time as well.

The only downsides to the Bandai VF-17 is that it looks a bit to chunky when viewed side-on in fighter mode, it can't do a spread leg stance in battroid mode and the knees don't bend backward (only forward for Gerwalk mode), so no kneeling poses in battroid mode. Oh and also the landing gear sucks. Despite all the other detail on the toy, the landing gear is a joke, basically folding plastic tabs with molded on wheels with no detail :(

If you are a 17 fan I recommend this toy, but don't wait too long, as even the VF-17S reissues are starting to get a bit scarce.

Oh and I'd also love Yamato to make a 1/60 or 1/48 VF-17 toy with better landing gear and the FAST Packs first seen in Nightmarish Invasion. Oh and a Milia version as well. And while they are at it, they should throw in the optional radome and a fold booster :lol:

Graham

*chuckles* Graham, it's so fun to see how much the 17 brings out the kid in you!

I actually love the 17 too, but even since she was 2, my daughter always says my valkyrie looks like "a squishy fly." I do like that valk for all the same reasons you do, and have even thought of ways to customize it to have the same features on your wishlist. Looks great from up top, but on the side it does look like an SD Fly. Gotta love it though.

I've personally fallen in love with that valk just from the attached pic. This came from one of the "post your collection" threads. This valk is so awsome I decided to order one from Gundam store and more along with a fire valk. I couldn't beat the price at 29.99.

EDIT** to give credit for the pic** Wish I could find that thread again! I think it belongs to Montarvillois, But not sure. There was some custom work done to it so its not that posable out of the box.

post-4-1090465431_thumb.jpg

Edited by scand

It does have some custom paint on it but I don't think much work went into it.

Still looks pretty sweet though. If the person who did the custom could chime in and give us little how-to, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Edited by scand

I believe that's Montarvillois's VF-17. He customized the knees a few months after he joined up here and re-painted it....last year? into that pic you've posted.

Your probably right. I don't know why but I always get those two confused. Montarvillois was my next guess. I think they may have had consecutive posts in that thread. My apologies for spreading mis-information.

I've personally fallen in love with that valk just from the attached pic. This came from one of the "post your collection" threads. This valk is so awsome I decided to order one from Gundam store and more along with a fire valk. I couldn't beat the price at 29.99.

EDIT** to give credit for the pic** Wish I could find that thread again! I think it belongs to Montarvillois, But not sure. There was some custom work done to it so its not that posable out of the box.

WAY COOL! I LOVE THAT! :lol:

Go the 17!!

Damn, that store has some great prices, I was gonna order some more Valks, but then I discovered that the rat-finks wont ship internationally....... :angry: grrrrrrrrrr

Two of my pet hates in life are stores with great prices that wont ship overseas and ebay sellers who have exactly what I want but wont ship internationally....bastiches!!! :angry::angry:

Graham

Two of my pet hates in life are stores with great prices that wont ship overseas and ebay sellers who have exactly what I want but wont ship internationally....bastiches!!! :angry::angry:

That VF-17 rocks, but it's weird that it has that fuel compartment decal near its "crotch".

"Bastiches"?? That's funny Graham! :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
Damn, that store has some great prices, I was gonna order some more Valks, but then I discovered that the rat-finks wont ship internationally....... :angry: grrrrrrrrrr

Graham

I share that hate. :(

But is US$29.99 the regular / a good price of a VF-17S? Almost watched all the M7 episodes, now I want one! :lol:

US$29.00 is an excellent and extremely cheap price for a Bandai 1/65 scale VF-17S reissue toy. I've seen other online stores sell them for US$70. Consider that the Japanese retail price for the toy was ¥6,800 when it was reissued back in 2001.

Graham

US$29.00 is an excellent and extremely cheap price for a Bandai 1/65 scale VF-17S reissue toy. I've seen other online stores sell them for US$70. Consider that the Japanese retail price for the toy was ¥6,800 when it was reissued back in 2001.

Graham

Thank you o-VF-17 expert! :D

Both the reissue and the original release are excellent toys. The only difference with the reissue besides the packaging is that the yellow trim and UN Spacy emblems are painted on the reissue, whereas they are stickers on the original toy.

For this reason I slightly prefer the reissue as on my 9 year old original VF-17S, some of the yellow stickers have developed some mis-coloring.

Graham

I need the VF-17D, I have the S already.

Man, those D's are even more hard to find... :(

What's the best price for a VF-17D? Since there was only a reissue of the S.

Saw 2 or 3 VF-17D toys in the Causeway Bay area of HK yeasterday, but they were quite expensive at HK$850 each (approx US$109).

Graham

That's also the average price of the few I could find with Google. :ph34r:

Oh well, I can settle with just a VF-17S 2nd edition I just won on eBay. Someone tried to outbid me, but with a high first bid that VF-17S is mine mine mine! :D

Edited by Wabbit

• 2 weeks later...

Wooo! Got a VF-17S reissue! The knees and feet are quite loose though, maybe I should use a screwdriver to turn the screws just a little bit tighter?

The Battroid is AWESOME!!! It's even taller than my 1990 VF-1S! Only the Super pack makes my Roy taller! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
Oh and I'd also love Yamato to make a 1/60 or 1/48 VF-17 toy with better landing gear and the FAST Packs first seen in Nightmarish Invasion. Oh and a Milia version as well. And while they are at it, they should throw in the optional radome and a fold booster :lol:

I second that STRONGLY with two big thumbs up!!

Oh, and Congratulations Wabbit on your VF-17!

Welcome to the VF-17 *Rocks* Club.

Wooo! Got a VF-17S reissue! The knees and feet are quite loose though, maybe I should use a screwdriver to turn the screws just a little bit tighter?

The Battroid is AWESOME!!! It's even taller than my 1990 VF-1S! Only the Super pack makes my Roy taller! :lol:

Hey Graham, does Bandai still hold the licence for Macross 7? I was kinda hoping taht Yamato would pick it up and make VF17s for us to enjoy.

Hey Graham, does Bandai still hold the licence for Macross 7? I was kinda hoping taht Yamato would pick it up and make VF17s for us to enjoy.

The exact situation with the Macross 7 toy license is unknown. Yamato were always sort of cagey when I brought up the subject and would never give me a straight answer <_< .

As I'm sure most of you know, the situation with toy licenses in Japan is much less clear cut than in the West. In the US and many other Western countries, it's common practice for the license holder to grant a master toy license to one company only to make toys (although that situation is changing). However, in Japan, the license holder (in this case Big West), will often grant toy licenses to several diferent toy makers, based on scale, or materials or whether or not the toy transforms.

So basically, I have no idea what the conditions of the license between Bandai and Big West are/were and whether or not the license has expired or been renewed and Bandai is just sitting on it.

But I agree, a larger scale more detailed VF-17D & S toy with better landing gear, improved articulation, FAST packs, optional Radone and Fold Booster would be the bee's knees :lol: .

Graham

Even if they don't hold a Macross 7 licence, they are obviously allowed to make PS Game VF-X toys. So, they could make the Ravens version of the 17 from there, and also the Jamming system-enabled red 17, too. In theory, that is. Though I am not sure how popular they think that design will be.. :(

Although there are a few fans who love the 17, it will always be overshadowed by the more popular designs like the 19 & 21/22 :( .

Well, if I ever win a really large prize on the lottery, I'll start my own toy company and see about getting a Macross 7 toy license from BW, so I can make some kickass large scale Mac 7 toys :lol:

Graham