The “EDIT” button,

[Mongo]"BoB's writing is berry uglee... But Edit button is berry pretty and sweet. BoB licks Edit button lots. Bad Major no be nasty to edit button."[/Mongo] :angry::lol:

Edit:- See? BoB's writing is uglee again. :( Edit button makes pretty again. BoB happy. :)

Edited by Beware of Blast

LOL!  Is this a court, or a message board!?!?  major, get over it - the edit button is here, the edit button is (probably) staying - waste your time on more worth while causes...

Yeah they told the same thing to eLvIs.

Quoting doesn't do much for "proof" of some kind of wrong doing. :p

On the other hand, what does it really matter? Everyone knows who the a-holes are already. Who cares if they edit their posts away?

Edit: Whoops, had to correct my spelling.

Edit again: Someone's not keeping up with the word filters. :o

Edited by dna

Well It is nice to see that there are more members who are seeing the light this time. However a statement was my only intention, and that statement has been made. If nothing else, you guys are thinking about it.

Untill next time, adieu.

More member seeing the light okay....

Let me present you with this fictional scenario,

Say you post:

' I think Harmony Gold is a bigger company.'

Look how close the 'B' is to the 'N'. If anyone accidently made that typo and the reply key wouldn't they want to quickly edit it before there is a big misunderstanding. Say your typing 'Duck' Look how close 'D' is to 'F'. With out the edit feature a person that makes such a typo is one ducked up mother ducker.

If someone does leave an improper post and only delete it at a later time just so they avoid getting in trouble (and not actual mistake) we can still catch it. Make a screen grab or quote a their's. Even if no one copies their message. The mods can still ask round.

More member seeing the light okay....

Let me present you with this fictional scenario,

Say you post:

' I think Harmony Gold is a bigger company.'

Look how close the 'B' is to the 'N'. If anyone accidently made that typo and the reply key wouldn't they want to quickly edit it before there is a big misunderstanding. Say your typing 'Duck' Look how close 'D' is to 'F'. With out the edit feature a person that makes such a typo is one ducked up mother ducker.

If someone does leave an improper post and only delete it at a later time just so they avoid getting in trouble (and not actual mistake) we can still catch it. Make a screen grab or quote a their's. Even if no one copies their message. The mods can still ask round.

exhibit 1 of potential said mistake:

When someone throws something at me I fu(k.

exhibit 1 of potential said mistake:

When someone throws something at me I fu(k.

exhibit 2 of potential said mistake, the solution:

oops! silly me!

I meant:

When someone throws something at me I duck.

:D

I have to say the edit button is the most useful tool a message board for me for one simple reason. I'm dyslexic and I really do make mistakes and sometimes do not even notice it. Other times I do and I can type out the wrong words (first time spelt works) while thinking about another word. Having the edit button there is a great thing. As spell checkers only catch mistakes if it is a incorrectly spelt word not a wrongly used word in its place. Strange how the mind works (this time I spelt it word for some unknown reason).....

Note I also run (spelt wrong the first time???) my own PHP message board and I could not find a way to remove coloured text without a lot of playing about with PHP files. Then if you find something wrong with the board and how it works with the server the only fix half the time is to upgrade to a new version of the board which you need to do every so othen for some reason or another anyway... Then all the custom work on files to remove things like the EDIT BUTTON gets killed with the upgrade as the old files don't always work with the new version of the board.

I've never met Shawn but I know enough about him to say he's a really busy guy, he has better things to do than playing around in PHP for ages removing a feature that some of us really need when he should be enjoying his hobby.

I predominantly use the edit fuction to add stuff to existing posts. I strongly dislike infalted post counts, and if I have something else to add, it seems a lot more reasonable to simply click "edit" as opposed to creating a whole new post for the viewer's enjoyment...

The cool thing about these new forums is that you can highlight the words you want to add tags to and then click on the "tag" buttons. It will immediately open and close the tags for you. No room for mistakes like that Nightbat!!! Just a tip.

Geez.. Not again

• Edit's good for correcting mistakes. Some people here do take the care to ensure their posts can be read, and sometimes mistakes slip through. I proofread and preview my posts and still need to occasionally edit after the posting is done.
  • Editing is just a different way of doing things -- you should accept that other people got different ways of doing the same thing.
  • If someone said something that's bad, make sure you quote it, he can edit his own post but he can't edit yours.

It strikes me that you should really be going after the people who does what irks you rather than going after a useful feature of the board. Rather than try to get rid of the feature, bring the mod's attention to the situation. If it's serious, petition for the offender to be temporarily banned -- that's what will really tackle the problem you have.

Like SuperO says, what 1% of the population does wrongly should not result in punishment for the other 99% of the population.

And honestly, you are looking at the worst aspect of editing a flammatory post. You may have presume the case of a member posting with deliberate intent to insult someone and taking the post back to appear innocent. However, another scenario is that a member got heated up and posted in the heat of the moment. Then he thought things over and decided he could better word his discussion, and so he changed the original post. Is this necessarily bad?

And as for not using the Edit.. I seem to recall that you did use the Edit function once and we ragged you for it.... :D

I'm constantly editing additions into my posts. Were it not for that function, i'd have over 1000 posts right now.

And, what's so bad with editing? This isn't a courtroom. If I post something and realize that I shouldn't have said it, or that it could be misinterpreted, I should be able to change it before any damages are possible. It's not like we need to have a perfect record of everything anyone ever said.

OK Time to start a crusade against the Poll Feature! :p

Now that's what I'd support

Polls always end up (and allow) further discussing the options given

might as well start the discussion without the poll

9 out of 10 times there's more info found in the replies of a poll than the end result of the numbers