The “EDIT” button,

Kill the “EDIT” button!

*Yes I know I brought this up before, but the in last few days a great example of a particular member starting trouble, then taking back what he has said took place.*

Through my interactions with the board in the past few days, like before I have become annoyed with the fact that people can take back what they say. It allows for members to completely offend someone, and then erase it as to eliminate reproductions for their actions.

I move that we eliminate this feature from Macross World forever. Members will be held accountable for what they say, and more importantly members will think twice before saying something stupid.

Some of you may have noticed that I never use the feature, as I don’t want anyone to think I go back on what I say, even if the subject matter is trivial.

Editing is for the spineless… the gutless… the weak… and the lame.

Lets kill it.

I have to agree with the Major. Far too many members are hidding behind the edit button lately, going back to erase stuff they said and ppl complained about. Instead of editing posts, perhaps ppl should think more before posting for now on.

If a member decides to make an ass of himself on the boards, let his/her posts remain to remind himself of how uncivil he/she can be. Editing out a post and just pretending it didn't happen just doesn't work anymore.

And don't give me "but foreign members need to edit for grammar mistakes" BS. Most members don't care about grammar mistakes anymore, as long as the post makes sense.

Kill the edit button! Let members think before they post.

I ooriginoly feelt the eadit bootun's elemination wuld make us spel baad. Now I aagree with Agant One.

This argument is of course going to fall on deaf ears as it has been broached before my good friends. Let us simply walk tall in our honesty and straightforwardness and try to catch the evildoers with quotes.

Most members don't care about grammar mistakes anymore, as long as the post makes sense.

The only spelling and grammar mistakes that bother me are my own. It drives me mental to see wurdz mspelt, or words out of order they are. If I see that stuff, I frantically correct it before anybody can see my booboo. Wow, lookit me. My first neurosis. :lol:

JsARCLIGHT,

I don't think this will fall on deaf ears this time. One Shumck around here has galvinized my cause with his stupidity and others have noticed...

Before it was only Mod Max and I who wanted to nuke the "Edit" button. Now the situation is different.

really, it doesnt hurt anyone, you are an in your face type of person who likes his words to count, some people, including myself, like the edit button for various reasons, not the least of which, is to take back things i've posted. once, i posted something in the rolo thread that included his address, and of course the edit button came in handy to correct my mistake

i understand your deal, but get over the king richard spiel with wanting to do away with it, make up another crusade.

what i SHOULD say is that, you seem like a cool internet guy, so take it easy, it isnt worth getting bent like you are

Edited by estacado06479

However, it is useful for "for sale" posts as you can add/remove and change status/prices on items you're selling... So maybe nix it for the major forums (TV/Movies, Toys, Models, Other) but keep it for fanworks (for editing images) and sale forums (for editing sales).

Vostok 7

However, it is useful for "for sale" posts as you can add/remove and change status/prices on items you're selling

I've thought about that too. With my sales, I just add another post stating that the sale is over (ie: my VF-1S in the For Sale section). I never include my paypal address or anything that could enable someone to send payment without the "ok" from me first.

Before it was only Mod Max and I who wanted to nuke the "Edit" button. Now the situation is different.

You know me, I'll follow you to the gates of hell... (before saying "screw this" and running away :p )... but you have to remember that I'm pretty sure we heard from either Shawn or Graham last time telling us in no uncertain words that the edit button stays.

On a related note, if everyone remembers right Agent noticed that edited posts did not show themselves as being edited when the new MW went into effect and Shawn quickly changed it so they did. Perhaps this argument may find purchase this time around.

And don't give me "but foreign members need to edit for grammar mistakes" BS. Most members don't care about grammar mistakes anymore, as long as the post makes sense.

Just onething, i fully understand your point (acting like a jerk and erasing proof of that before)

but as i am not speaking&typing Eng. like a native it is a relief to be able to correct a post.

Editing a post avoid to post a new one to only correct/complete and think about the list like sharpshooters and Black list. How do you make them without edit button?

The edit button is like the jedi force, powerful&useful for the most of us but it show its dark side when used by bad people.

Just onething, i fully understand your point (acting like a jerk and erasing proof of that before)

but as i am not speaking&typing Eng. like a native it is a relief to be able to correct a post.

Editing a post avoid to post a new one to only correct/complete and think about the list like sharpshooters and Black list. How do you make them without edit button?

The edit button is like the jedi force, powerful&useful for the most of us but it show its dark side when used by bad people.

Yeah, but we aren't grading you on your english. The only one around here I don't understand at times is Mod Roy on PM... he holds his keyboard upsidedown.

:rolleyes:

Meh, I rarely use it. Who cares. I'm mostly just tired of hearing Major whining about it.

:lol:

Vostok 7

Me too. However more tired of pussies who are not being held accountable for their crimes.

However more tired of pussies who are not being held accountable for their crimes.

We all are, the only problem is we are dealing with an internet message board and not the burning of the Reichstag here. I think it is imperetive that we all do our part to catch the crooks in the act rather than remove features of the board.

... and if catching crooks in the act doesn't work then hell, remove the edit button. :p

AgentOne,

The problem of people saying a bunch of BS, then editing it because they change their minds later doesn't really piss that many members off, as it happens very rarely anyway.

The advantages to the Edit button (grammar mistakes, editing "for sale" posts, replacing images that are too large, etc.) makes the feature much more useful than problematic. If someone says something out of line, just QUOTE it in your reply. The mods will see it and take appropriate action.

i'm with the people who wanna nuke the edit button, it is just creating too many problems while not really helping others. and it's also making people look bad when they get made to look like the bad guy when the people who were the bad guy seem like the good guy when they edit their post! That's what really ticks me off bout that button!

LOL! Is this a court, or a message board!?!? major, get over it - the edit button is here, the edit button is (probably) staying - waste your time on more worth while causes...

Yeah they told the same thing to Jesus.

LOL!  Is this a court, or a message board!?!?  major, get over it - the edit button is here, the edit button is (probably) staying - waste your time on more worth while causes...

Yeah they told the same thing to Jesus.

I would never compare you to jesus.

If you think that there is an offender that would edit their post, then take a screen cap of the post, and keep the image. You can submit it to a mod later as proof. Capturing exigent to editing!.

Or do what I have done, if somebody hits somebody else with a real zinger that you know will get deleted, print the post out, that way, even if it is deleted, you can go back, and laugh at it later on, it's good reading for the crapper at work.

I agree that it can be useful for legit purposes, but it pisses me off when I see people abusing it.

So, is there any compromise we can reach? Like maybe enabling it only in the sale/trade forums? Limiting frequency of use allowed? Implementing some sort of punishment for blatent abuse? Anything?

And just out of curiosity, is there any way for mods to revert a post back to its original, unedited form?