20 years of DYRL

EXO

How can you see a POS like Clash of the Bionoids and still wanting to see more of it to hunt down the original. I think I was the only one that kept renting that crummy old video tape from that crummy old video store until they finally had to take it out of circulation. I went back and asked about it and even tried to buy it.

Desperately, trying to get it before those eBay days wasn't as easy as it sounded. I went to pony-go-roundin L.A. and Yoahan... maybe I wasn't looking at the right places. Finally I found it at the L.A.Scifi and comic con at the Shrine (before it was at the Shrine, it was at some hotel.) Seeing it complete for the first time was like being blind and being able to see again. No more ugly dialogue, no more crappy edits, just pure unadulterated naked Minmay fun.

I had never seen SDF Macross back then... but I was intoxicated by the music since the CotB days. I'm still weirded out by that man screaming "MAKUROS!" in the opening theme of the TV show. The opening them of DYRL was so perfect when the Macross came out of the darkness in sections.

20 years later I've had 2 copies of the DVDs. And I'm still constantly popping it on the box. IMO, it still surpasses a lot of the animation today, CG or tradtional. If by some miracle DYRL disappeared from the world, I'd probably go back to that crummy old video store and cry my eyes out for that copy of CotB... sad as it may seem...

That's not sad. It's the truth. Back in the late 80s when I couldn't find a VHS of DYRL, I too settled for a copy of Clash of the Bioroids. A copy I kept untill a friend made me a copy of DYRL off a Japanese laser disc. And 'Ai Oboete Imasu Ka' is still one of my favorite anime songs ever. I could listen to both versions playing over and over again for hours on end (and have).

In about 94 I think when I was browsing the used video boxes in a Chicago comic con looking for anime tapes and I found my first copy of DYRL. It was a fansub of the original... bad video quality, tons of translation errors and no box, only a cheaply before-laser-printer quality home-made label on an old BASF 2 hour tape.

I watched that thing until the tape disintigrated.

Bought Clash of the Bionoids about two years later thinking it was the same thing just dubbed... man was I ever wrong.

The time and tide changed and (insert batman bat symbol transition to camera) now I have a nice FX "Perfect Edition" DVD and am quietly waiting for a legit high quality domestic R1 release.

You'd think two giant multinational companies could put petty differences aside and just release the damn movie already in a legit, original form for us over here. Hell, they can even chop the crap out of it and make a Robotech movie for all I care just as long as they give me the pure uncut columbian that is DYRL.

The first time I saw DYRL was back in about 88 or 89 at a screening put on by the Maryland Institute and College of Art. There was this dude there that ran their anime club. It was funny as hell because this guy wore a jacket that had the Minmay DYRL logo on the back painted, and yet he told a few of my friends and I that WE were too into Macross... :lol:

Shortly thereafter I purchased COTB (actually bought it in the BX when I was stationed in Japan because I recognized the SDF 1 on the cover image, and like JSA, I was shocked beyond repair.

I rented the original VHS tape when I was in Japan and made a copy of it that I watched into oblivion.

I too hope that BW and HG would just put aside their crap for once, and allow this landmark piece of anime history be released legitimately in the US, but hey, I have my FX boot, and the official R1 version on DVD so I'm happy enough.

You'd think two giant multinational companies could put petty differences aside and just release the damn movie already in a legit, original form for us over here.

so true. You'd think with the chance of making some money, these two companies would solve their differences. I'm sick of it really. I'd think most of us are.

My R2 DVD will have to do for now....

I saw COTB in 88-89? I was in high school then. I didn't see DYRL until 94 when I bought a fan sub tape of the LD at the Chicago comicon(which has become Wizard World Chicago). Its still one of my favorite anime films.

Edited by dejr8bud

I didn't see DYRL until 94 when I bought a fan sub tape of the LD at the Chicago comicon(which has become Wizard World Chicago). Its still one of my favorite anime films.

Holy crap, we were at the same con! :lol:

That guy you bought your tape from was he reeeeaaaally fat and wearing a (if I remember right) stormtrooper t-shirt with some sort of a mullet? That was the guy I got mine from before the sales floor opened on the first day. He had all his tapes in these like long cardboard boxes.

... and might you remember a dealer with black dobie gillis hair, mustache and glasses and his helper who was a tall, annoying flock-of-seagulls swoop haired looking dork? That tall swoopy gen-x looking scumbag was me!

I didn't see DYRL until 94 when I bought a fan sub tape of the LD at the Chicago comicon(which has become Wizard World Chicago). Its still one of my favorite anime films.

Holy crap, we were at the same con! :lol:

That guy you bought your tape from was he reeeeaaaally fat and wearing a (if I remember right) stormtrooper t-shirt with some sort of a mullet? That was the guy I got mine from before the sales floor opened on the first day. He had all his tapes in these like long cardboard boxes.

... and might you remember a dealer with black dobie gillis hair, mustache and glasses and his helper who was a tall, annoying flock-of-seagulls swoop haired looking dork? That tall swoopy gen-x looking scumbag was me!

The fat guy sounds familar(who'd think a fat guy wearing a Star Wars T-shirt would be at a comic convention selling VHS bootleg tapes lol) He'll probably be at this years Wizard World or a clone perhaps...

I dunno its been 10 years( I was 20 in 94) with alot of late nights that have inolved alcohol and other substances that ruin your memory..lol :ph34r:

You know what is funny? It's been 10 years for me too and I can clearly remember that whole day... and yet I can't for the life of me remember what I had for lunch a week ago. :rolleyes: Let's just say college had some booze and other fine smokeables that have most likely harmed my medium range memory zones.

I used to help this guy Morris Lenninkamp (whom I always called "Lenin") run his tables at the Chicago comic cons in college to score some extra loot. Sad thing was I'd spend my day's pay at the con first thing before the doors opened most of the time, sniping the good deals at the con before the fanboys could get to them rather than pay that pesky electric bill...

... ahh, college...

Anyway back on topic I always wondered how old and how "into" anime people were when they saw DYRL. I myself was in my second year at CAI, the year before I was introduced into hardcore anime fandom by my roommates. So I myself was already a collegate hardcore anime dork with several all night anime sessions under my belt when I saw DYRL. DYRL was also what got me into the "real" shows behind Robotech and soon after I tracked down all the fan tapes of the original three.

i've got the english dub vhs of DYRL? and all i can say is the tinny audio and HORRIBLE acting really sour the experience, i can't wait to eventually get a japanise version with english subtitles.

i've probably only watched it twice in 10 years, the audio is THAT bad.

I remember back in '85 my friend telling me all about this Japanese version of Macross he had seen that was so badass... I can recall listening in disbelief as he told me about the nude Minmay scene, the different storyline, the VFs that all looked more like JetFire than the TV series valks, and that they took off upside down!

I was highly skeptical of his claims :lol:, and never did see the movie 'til nearly 20 years later. Now, I've got the FX HK version and watch it regularly.

I like DYRL, but once Misa and Hikaru get to Earth I get sleepy.

they get really weird on that space ship thingy don't they, i'm not even sure what it is.. that city thing they found. Misa starts doing dishes and crap.. and hikaru.. well.. he was alone.. no one was looking..

:D Amesome, you too? And here I thought it was just me. DYRL and any of the original Star Wars just put me out like a light (Star Wars in less than 20 mins). I can't tell if it's cause I'm bored or it's like comfort food that makes me go all sleepy inside, anyhow it's good stuff to know when you can't sleep.

BTW, After years of searching (hey anime used to be hard to find in the midwest) in 1989 I finally saw DYRL... seems like only yesterday.

Edited by LePoseur

That's funny because I do too. It's like "Yes, it's a great story but this is the billionth time I watching this so get back to blowing stuff up."

I don't think I've ever seen CotB. Anyone got a VHS copy of it for sale??? :p

I think the first time I saw DYRL was in bits and pieces at my friend's house but it was raw without subtitles. Then we got a fansub of it on VHS. Now I have two versions on DVD but of course the fansub has the best translation but the worst picture. <_<

:D Amesome, you too? And here I thought it was just me. DYRL and any of the original Star Wars just put me out like a light (Star Wars in less than 20 mins). I can't tell if it's cause I'm bored or it's like comfort food that makes me go all sleepy inside, anyhow it's good stuff to know when you can't sleep.

BTW, After years of searching (hey anime used to be hard to find in the midwest) in 1989 I finally saw DYRL... seems like only yesterday.

Yeah, that's why Ep 4 is my least favorite SW... I can manage to stay awake, but I ain't too happy. ;)

I feel the same about the TV episode where Minmay and Hikaru are stuck in the belly of the Macross.

The part where Hikaru and Misa are on Earth is not as long though.

As much as I like the mechs and the action, I also get into the soapy part of Macross. How f'n cool was that when Minmay dropped the mike and rushed Hikaru on stage, with Misa watching... And Misa walking in on Minmay and Hikaru. I still can't get use to Hikaru slapping Minmay. It's not just the fact that it's wrong, but also I feel it's way too extreme of a reaction. I've seen this a lot in anime. How common was that in the 80's, or even now??? I don't see it as the man straightening out the woman. I see it as the man's weakness to get his point across (even though Minmay's statement was out of line. The poor girl just got released from captivity thinking that she had someone waiting for her. Give her some slack... LOL... stupid drama... :lol: )

I feel the same about the TV episode where Minmay and Hikaru are stuck in the belly of the Macross.

As much as I like the mechs and the action, I also get into the soapy part of Macross.

That may be true but you can't deny the scene where Hikaru, Minmay, and Misa finally meet in Hikaru's quarters. It's a real emotional roller coaster when the love triangle comes to a climax (stop it with the dirty thoughts guys). :ph34r:

The first time I saw DYRL was in 1993, when I borrowed a friend's worn-out Beta copy of the uncut English version (not COTB). Three years later, I ordered a VHS copy of the Japanese version; only to find out that I got a Cantonese version instead, which has "Tenshi no Enogu" replaced with a Cantonese version of "Ai, Oboete Imasu ka?" in the ending credits.

I bought the Best Video version of DYRL, but was disappointed by the poor video transfer and flat audio. Today, I have the Anime Cartoon bootleg DVD version, which I'm happy with. And yes - after 20 years, DYRL still holds its own as a masterpiece.

As much as I like the mechs and the action, I also get into the soapy part of Macross. How f'n cool was that when Minmay dropped the mike and rushed Hikaru on stage, with Misa watching... And Misa walking in on Minmay and Hikaru. I still can't get use to Hikaru slapping Minmay. It's not just the fact that it's wrong, but also I feel it's way too extreme of a reaction. I've seen this a lot in anime. How common was that in the 80's, or even now??? I don't see it as the man straightening out the woman. I see it as the man's weakness to get his point across (even though Minmay's statement was out of line. The poor girl just got released from captivity thinking that she had someone waiting for her. Give her some slack... LOL... stupid drama... :lol: )

I feel really bad for DYRL Minmay. She just can't win can she? :)

btw EXO, I love the DYRL opening too. So perfect... I mean.. the guy in the show just grates on my nerves. Sometimes I get excited tho... just because I know an ep of Macross is coming soon.... maybe its some sort of Neo Pavlovian Conditioning...