Where are you from?

Whoa... you guys are making this place sound like its in the middle of nowhere...

Cant be that bad... can it?

Nope, neither place is that bad, but it's the wannabe cowboys who buy new boots to wear for two weeks with their new wranglers etc. Calgary is super nice, one of the top 3 cities in Canada (IMHO), but I prefer small town living. My kid's can walk down the street, and I know that the nieghbor's are actually watching them out of concern not anything else. Ponoka is actually about 2 hrs north of Calgary and we have our own "rodeo", and for a couple of weeks every summer, you're a wierdo if you don't wear a cowboy hat, or so some people think.

Count me as another MWer from 'Cowboy Hell' Calgary, Alberta. That said, I'm not a native of the place, but a transplant from Prince Edward Island...or God's Country as we Islanders like to call it. :D

Truth be told, if it wern't for the nasty custody battle I happen to be in for my daughter, I'd up and move almost anywhere else...New Zealand...Japan...

::sigh:: for now my travel bug must wait :)

Sean

Ponoka is actually about 2 hrs north of Calgary and we have our own "rodeo", and for a couple of weeks every summer, you're a wierdo if you don't wear a cowboy hat, or so some people think.

Whereas we in Calgary are subjected to the "Greatest Outdoor Show On Earth", the Calgary Stampede, for ten days every July. For someone born in the city, 34 years of it is more than enough. <_< Now all it means to me is that public transit is a real pain for a week. ;)

Although, to be fair, we get people from all over the world for Stampede, so you get to meet some really interesting people during that time, assuming you're the outgoing type. However, as it has been said, people who don't get into the whole "western" thing (like me) during that time are treated as being fairly abnormal.

Edited by Penguin

Whoa... you guys are making this place sound like its in the middle of nowhere...

Ponoka's a nice little town, while Calgary is a moderate-sized Canadian city/sprawl... more land area than New York City (5000+ square km, to NYC's 800 sq. km), but under a million people. What can I say... we like our space.

Now Saskatchewan... THAT'S the middle of nowhere... :D

Edited by Penguin

That said, I'm not a native of the place, but a transplant from Prince Edward Island...or God's Country as we Islanders like to call it. :D

Well, as much as I love Alberta's forests and mountains, I gotta admit PEI is one heck of a beautiful province.

• 2 weeks later...