PS2 Mod Chips

Alright now I know this topic has been discussed before, but since I wasnt interested then but I am now here goes nothing. Can anyone recommend any mod chips for the PS2 that...... Play both import PSX and PS2 games, Play backup PSX and PS2 games. And here is the real kicker not require me to solder 50 billion points on the PCB? Now honestly my soldering skills are ok, but the less of a chance I F*** up my PS2 the better. And yes I am modding my PS2 just for the new Macross game :). If you have any info, links or reviews help a fellow mwer out.

Rob :ph34r:

I highly recommend that you buy yourself a Japanese PS2 and save yourself all the potential headaches:

- new lockout schemes that prevents your modded PS2 from playing new games, both import and domestic releases

- screwing up the drive's motor mechanism so that parts of the disc won't read (this has happened with many people who modded their PS2, some games would just freeze when it reaches a certain part of the game) due to the more fragile interior of the PS2

- screwing up the drive's motor mechanism so that parts of the disc won't read (this has happened with many people who modded their PS2, some games would just freeze when it reaches a certain part of the game) due to the more fragile interior of the PS2

the cheapy chips will do that (Magic2, Magic3). Stick tot eh top quality chips, Messiah2 and DMS3. I have had mine for quite a while, and I don't experience lockups on certain parts of games, and I put my PS2 through a lot of stress.

muahaha, you want a chip but dont want to solder?

guess youre buying a nihongo ps2 like the j-man said.

bit that would open up a whole new realm of problems, so if you want to mod your ps2, the DMS3 or messiah are the two ways to go

go to www.ps2newz.net, and get info before you buy

better yet, get a pre-mod, and get rid of your old ps2

and by the by, ANY chip will eventually screw your laser up, its just a matter of when, not IF

Edited by estacado06479

Most of the good mod chips are served a cease and desist order from Sony a day or two after release (neo, messaiah etc.). So only a few people get their chips, the rest get refunds. Seriously a PS2 Import is ultimately easier. Its what I did.

www.ncsx.com or www.buyrite1.net

Alright now I know this topic has been discussed before, but since I wasnt interested then but I am now here goes nothing. Can anyone recommend any mod chips for the PS2 that...... Play both import PSX and PS2 games, Play backup PSX and PS2 games. And here is the real kicker not require me to solder 50 billion points on the PCB? Now honestly my soldering skills are ok, but the less of a chance I F*** up my PS2 the better. And yes I am modding my PS2 just for the new Macross game :). If you have any info, links or reviews help a fellow mwer out.

Rob :ph34r:

Well if you're not confident of your soldering skills, and don't want to burn another $200 or so just get yourself a boot disk...

http://www.easybuy2000.com/store/playstati...20II/index.html

if ive said it once ive said it a thousand times, swap discs are for sh*t!

you will not be happy in the long run, and for what you pay for a japanese unit, you could get a modded ps2, which plays ntsc, pal, and japanese originals, plus any backup you can think of. there is NO comparison, trust me.

Edited by estacado06479

The problem with modding a PS2 is that your mod chip will eventually become obsolete - Sony keeps coming out with new lockout schemes that detect new mod chips and lock the games out. Even if you install the latest chip, it will eventually become unable to play new games. Sony has been doing this since the PS1 days and they haven't stopped doing that. This means you have to upgrade your chip every couple months, all that re-soldiering will eventually trash your PS2.

Even if you rely on "backups", not all new titles are guaranteed to become available that way. These bootlegs are cheaply made without any QA and therefore tend to be harsh on the laser when you get a bad copy. I've seen how unsmoothly some of these played on a friend's modded unit. It'd take forever to load a level while the motor makes unsavory noise.

Edited by Jolly Rogers

muahaha, you want a chip but dont want to solder?

guess youre buying a nihongo ps2 like the j-man said.

bit that would open up a whole new realm of problems, so if you want to mod your ps2, the DMS3 or messiah are the two ways to go

go to www.ps2newz.net, and get info before you buy

better yet, get a pre-mod, and get rid of your old ps2

and by the by, ANY chip will eventually screw your laser up, its just a matter of when, not IF

listen to esta, he's the man in htis kinda stuff.

i remember he was all into this, what was it?, a year ago?

he linked me to all the things he is linking t you here. he's done the research!

Here's another question.

Why do they do this lockout thing anyways?

Is it illegal to import the Japanese version of a game... Say Final Fantasy 10?

Or is it a method of maximizing their profits?

Of course! Japanese game are far more expensive then american games.

Its the same issue they have with DVDs... why allow gamers to buy cheaper alternatives when you can force them to get the most expensive game? B)

The same reason there region lockouts.... why not make Region E for Earth and have all dvd players playing the same DVDs? Why not have only 1 TV system instead of having 1 for each major continent? <_<

if ive said it once ive said it a thousand times, swap discs are for sh*t!

you will not be happy in the long run, and for what you pay for a japanese unit, you could get a modded ps2, which plays ntsc, pal, and japanese originals, plus any backup you can think of. there is NO comparison, trust me.

But if you buy a "modded" PS2, won't you run into the same problems with lock-outs over time?

Why would you suggest buying a modded PS2 over just getting a Japanese PS2?

I realize the modded ones will play bootlegs and backups, but in the end don't you have the same problems?

thats the cool thing about the dms3, from what i understand, the way to "upgrade" it, is to flash the firmware, not get a new chip, tehy have already released two firmware flash upgrades.

and thanks for the props, kid-k, i like to think of myself as more of a researcher than an expert, thing about being an expert in the modchip world, turn your head and everything you know is wrong.

Edited by estacado06479

Now that makes more sense. Upgrading the firmware I mean.

I guess you could also solder in a "chip socket" if you wnated to mod one yourself. Then if you needed to buy a new chip, you could just unplug the old one and plug in the new one.

But I like the idea of upgrading the firmware better. How is that done? What type of interface do you need to access the firmware on a chip in the PS2?

Ok so besides modding a PS2 or spending like 350+ USD for a jap PS2 there are no other methods but what about THIS

http://www.easybuy2000.com/store/playstati...0enhancer.shtml

argh, dude, buy teh swap magic if you want, tell you what, anyone that wants them can have mine, but theyre no f**kin good i tellya.

also, the way you upgrade the firmaware is with a sharkport, a memory card, and a cdrw

like i said, check out www.ps2newz.net

Edited by estacado06479

Now that makes more sense. Upgrading the firmware I mean.

I guess you could also solder in a "chip socket" if you wnated to mod one yourself. Then if you needed to buy a new chip, you could just unplug the old one and plug in the new one.

But I like the idea of upgrading the firmware better. How is that done? What type of interface do you need to access the firmware on a chip in the PS2?

The chip socket idea would only work if all the mod chips out there were identical in physical parameters... I have no idea if they are though...

Not a bad idea in any case!

damn all...

you can try looking online and researching and then if nothing turns up you can ask here. Don't get somone else's advice especially when you have your own specific requirements for modchips.

on my car forums they are much meaner than over here and they would go nuts, lol.

g/luck in the mod-chip hunt!

hehe, true, on other forums i visit, i'm afraid to even ask questions, they'll tear your head off.

as for raping your wallet, lessee, how about you go and buy a PAL unit, a japanese unit, and originals of all the games, and we'll see who has the more violated wallet at the end...good luck, and let me know how it comes out.

also, when thinking about this...always remember....

YOURE GETTING GAMES FOR FREE THAT YOU SHOULDNT EVEN HAVE IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!

thank you, drive through (sorry, i couldnt resist a small flame, since kid-k made me think about it)

hehe, true, on other forums i visit, i'm afraid to even ask questions, they'll tear your head off.

as for raping your wallet, lessee, how about you go and buy a PAL unit, a japanese unit, and originals of all the games, and we'll see who has the more violated wallet at the end...good luck, and let me know how it comes out.

thank you, drive through (sorry, i couldnt resist a small flame, since kid-k made me think about it)

Getting them for FREE :blink: I paid 68 $ for Super robot wars alpha 2 and am going to have to spend another 50 for the modchip. So what are you talking about?

Getting them for FREE :blink: I paid 68 $ for Super robot wars alpha 2 and am going to have to spend another 50 for the modchip. So what are you talking about?

so, you bought original copies? i think you are missing the point of having a modchip... :rolleyes:

the point is, you spend all your jing on the premod, and then you play "backups"...which you dont happen to own...

and for anyone who holier than thou, need i remind you that the only things that are supposed to be in your house are things released in the US, that includes TOYS, GAMES, and DVDS...

seriously though people, if you want to go the route of the up adn up, i guess you'll just have to move to whatver region the games you want to play are from. ;)

Edited by estacado06479